Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

.22 Rifles

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
.22 Rifles
on: April 05, 2015, 06:12:17 AM
I've owned about every centerfire cartridge imaginable from the.22 Hornet to the .458 Winchester,since my dad introduced me to shooting 40 years ago.Most of these rounds have been chambered in bolt action rifles with a smattering of semi-autos,pumps,single shots and the uniquely American,lever action rifle.Unlike other friends of mine who have gravitated to buying and collecting shotguns,centerfire rifles including big bore double rifles and neglecting the .22 LR,I've stayed enamored with the lowly but ubiquitous little round.

Most hunters/shooters are familiar with the.22 long rifle,because they,like myself,started with this diminutive cartridge.It is a great round for initiating the young to the wonderful world of the shooting sports.

This night I was doing an inventory for insurance and tallied a total of 13 .22 rifles.While talking with one of my sons about my insurance rider for firearms,he remarked how fortunate I was to be able to own such fine rifles.I don't believe that I'm unlike most people,in the fact that what we own,we sometimes take for granted.I had to agree with my son in that I have been very fortunate.I then reminded him that half of what he owns,as far as .22's are concerned,were given to him by me.He then asked if I was fishing for another "thank you dad" and my response was no,it was just a friendly reminder and we then both laughed loudly.

I then read him the current list and it went like this:

1. Anschutz model 54 Classic Sporter
2. Anschutz 54.18MS Silhouette
3. Browning model 52C Winchester repro.
4. Cooper 57M Classic .
5. Kimber of Oregon 82 Classic Varmint
6. Marlin 39 Second Amendment
7. Mauser 201 Sporter.
8. New Ultra Light Arms NULA Model 20.
9. Remington 504
10.Ruger 10/22 Takedown
11.Sako Quad synthetic stock
12.Thompson Center Contender Carbine
13.Winchester 52B repro.

I,have in the past,owned many more than I currently possess but they were sold,traded and given to my sons.

So,fellow shooters,what favorite .22 rifles do you own?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: .22 Rifles
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:40:05 PM
My favorite?

My Dad's Winchester 1906 pump action.  SN implies it was made in 1934 so he got it as a 10th, 11th or 12th birthday present.  Lots of wear and somewhere in the past he put a crappy little scope on it but it's my favorite long gun. :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:56:16 PM
Gents, :pok:

:worthless:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:17:25 PM
My first rifle was a Winchester Model 67 Boy's Rifle from the 50's (not that kind of Boys Rifle.  One day though.... ).  It was a single shot bolt action that was scaled down for younger folks.  Great little gun, my brother now has it for the day my nephew gets introduced to shooting.  My current .22 is a Marlin 880 bolt action.  Very accurate rifle with a 7 shot mag.  Few companies do .22's as well as Marlin does.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:15:19 PM
My first was a Remington .22 pump action, an old one! My uncle bought it beat up, and i refinished it, looked like new and accurate omg, at 150' away I hit a beer can like 97 times out of 100!
JR

Here's an old pic
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:19:50 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 06:07:34 PM
I have nothing to add, but I'm looking forward to some more very nice pictures. :popcorn:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:47:57 PM
I love .22 :) I had a lot of fun with them in my teens :)

I'd love to get my licence and get an old M6 Scout or maybe a new Savage 42 :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:14:53 PM
Back in highschool I was on the rifle team, I was top shot! I don't remember what rifle I used, some wierd one.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:25:30 PM
I love .22 :) I had a lot of fun with them in my teens :)

I'd love to get my licence and get an old M6 Scout or maybe a new Savage 42 :)

In that style of rifle I rather like the look of the Double Badger. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 10:53:29 PM
Ooh I like that! I do like the idea of the one gun set up. I've never hunted before, but they look perfect for the types of game you have on these shores :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 11:00:35 PM
I only have the one...and it is relatively new. This is a Ruger 10/22 with Tac Star stock, and a 110 round drum magazine.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 11:02:28 PM
Nice collection there!  :tu:

Owned a number of .22 rifles in the past, but don't currently have any. Always been more inclined to haul a couple of handguns out to the range.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 11:23:08 PM
Plain jane, almost totally stock Ruger 10/22. The only change I make is to add a peep sight to it, and I have a preference to the clear magazines. Shoots to point of aim at fifty yards and an inch high at twenty five, and at that range I usually have the holes touching each other if I'm having a good day. Usually can't see a squirrel or rabbit much past that range in the mostly pine forest I mostly hunt in.

I've been on a quest for the old Savage 24C for about ten years now, it is my grail gun. .22 LR over 20ga cylinder choke. That works on everything I'm likely to hunt in Vermont short of bear (well... marginal) and moose (even more marginal).

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 08:28:05 AM
wow, this will take some straining of the old brain cells...

In no particular order I've had  a Ruger 1022, a CBC model 22 (clone of a Winchester model 2), a Zastava CZ99, some Stirling that I can't remember the model number of and currently a Savage BV.

Crappy pic of the Savage

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 03:10:38 PM
Back in highschool I was on the rifle team, I was top shot! I don't remember what rifle I used, some wierd one.
JR

I was varsity all four years on my HS rifle team.  Both of my brothers after me were as well. :tu:  My parents met at a rifle match, so no surprise we could shoot well.  Started at a young age.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 04:06:39 PM
JR

I was varsity all four years on my HS rifle team.  Both of my brothers after me were as well. :tu:  My parents met at a rifle match, so no surprise we could shoot well.  Started at a young age.
That's cool! I started jr year. It was the first time I ever shot any gun, I asked my teacher who ran it if I could come along to a practice and watch, so I did, funny part I asked if a .22 was loud or had kickback, lol. Everyone on the team laughed. The teacher said why don't you grab a rifle and try it out, I said ok, I ended up shooting I think a 120 something, higher then one of the teammates, needless to say they weren't laughing anymore, and said, "and this is the first time you ever shot" while standing there with their jaws dropped. The teacher grabbed a paper and said here give this to your father and have him sign it and bring it back to me! That summer during school break I spent a week with an uncle who was a sniper in the war, gave me a few tips(truthfully not many) then senior year not one of my classmates shot higher then me. But I think my high score was only 178? :think: somewhere in the 70's (I figured not bad for only a 2nd year well 1-1/2, since I joined half way threw my jr year) needless to say our team sucked, a few years later after I graduated they canceled the sport cause some idiot shot a radiator and not down range!
JR
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:14:27 PM by MadPlumbarian »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 11:27:12 PM
Great thread!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 11:20:12 PM
I'm sorry about abandoning this thread but we traveled over the Easter Holiday.

Here are some pictures of a few of the .22's mentioned.

First up is the Anschutz 54 Classic Sporter manufactured in Germany.This is a man sized rifle built on the Anschutz 54 target action that holds most of the world and Olympic records in small bore shooting.It's topped off with Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold 3x-9x EFR scope.

Next up is an American company famous for its single shot actions,Thompson Center.This a Contender topped off with a Burris mini scope in 4x-12x power.

Next is another example of German craftmanship.This is a Mauser 201 and it is the only .22 rimfire that has twin front locking lugs,similar only smaller,to centerfire bolt action rifles.This is set up with Leupold rings and bases and holds a Weaver 4x rimfire scope.

Lastly is a Kimber of Oregon Cascade model.This wasn't on my list but the Varmint model listed is at our mountain cabin.This is a good example of American rifle construction.This rifle is all steel and walnut with no plastic or alloys parts.It has Talley steel rings designed to mount directly to the dovetail base.They hold a Leupold 2x-7x Vari-X 2 scope.
DSCN2067.JPG
* DSCN2067.JPG (Filesize: 191.31 KB)
DSCN1834-1.jpg
* DSCN1834-1.jpg (Filesize: 151.91 KB)
DSCN2068.JPG
* DSCN2068.JPG (Filesize: 195.44 KB)
DSCN2071.JPG
* DSCN2071.JPG (Filesize: 193.01 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 11:23:36 PM
My favorite?

My Dad's Winchester 1906 pump action.  SN implies it was made in 1934 so he got it as a 10th, 11th or 12th birthday present.  Lots of wear and somewhere in the past he put a crappy little scope on it but it's my favorite long gun. :)

You have a genuine classic rifle.If I'm not mistaken the 1906 is the predecessor to the hammerless version,the model 61.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 11:25:58 PM
@toolguy:  :drool: :drool: over the Contender!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 11:27:25 PM
My first was a Remington .22 pump action, an old one! My uncle bought it beat up, and i refinished it, looked like new and accurate omg, at 150' away I hit a beer can like 97 times out of 100!
JR

Here's an old pic
(Image removed from quote.)

Another great classic .22.That appears to be a model 121 and is worth a great deal of money.Although as a family heirloom,I would guess it means more that just a dollar amount.

Thanks for sharing.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 11:29:35 PM

Thanks Kirk.

Out of all the .22's on the market,that little carbine makes a perfect starter gun for kids,while still being a viable tool for an adult.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 11:31:57 PM
I only have the one...and it is relatively new. This is a Ruger 10/22 with Tac Star stock, and a 110 round drum magazine.

Chako you've gone from a non gun owner to a para-military dude.

Yowser!  LOL!

Thanks for sharing.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
JR

Here's an old pic
(Image removed from quote.)

Another great classic .22.That appears to be a model 121 and is worth a great deal of money.Although as a family heirloom,I would guess it means more that just a dollar amount.

Thanks for sharing.
That what that one is a Remington fieldmaster 121.
JR

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 11:53:02 PM

Thanks Kirk.

Out of all the .22's on the market,that little carbine makes a perfect starter gun for kids,while still being a viable tool for an adult.

A Contender is one of the very few live ammo guns that would tempt me to get a licence!

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 11:58:07 PM
You and me both! I've liked them since I saw it in Hard Target :)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 12:05:03 AM
Thanks Kirk.
A Contender is one of the very few live ammo guns that would tempt me to get a licence!

That gun was purchased in 1984.

It has gone through some transformation because I replaced the forend and buttstock.I still have two of the original barrels and two more purchased at later dates.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 12:05:48 AM

A most excellent action move! :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 12:23:23 AM
The actor used a T/C Contender chambered in 45-70,a cartridge that is almost 150 years old.

I have another T/C Contender made of stainless steel with a composite stock and forend chambered in that round.
DSCN2074.JPG
* DSCN2074.JPG (Filesize: 188.56 KB)
DSCN2076.JPG
* DSCN2076.JPG (Filesize: 188.97 KB)
DSCN2075.JPG
* DSCN2075.JPG (Filesize: 194.9 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 12:25:43 AM
The actor used a T/C Contender chambered in 45-70,a cartridge that is almost 150 years old.

I have another T/C Contender made of stainless steel with a composite stock and forend chambered in that round.

:dd:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%