Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A fresh look at the Fuse.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
A fresh look at the Fuse.
on: April 07, 2015, 12:53:12 AM
The more multi's I aquire the more I feel I need. It's a zero sum game that's expensive to play but very fun. I like most of the tools by most of the manufacturers and own pretty much all of them. All of them have pros and cons but I can't help wondering why Leatherman retired the Fuse.
There's certainly room for improvement but for the money it appears to be a very well rounded platform. I know Higgins had carried one forever and the Captain loves them as well. I own enough to say I have a collection but it also seems that the demand for this particular tool has not lost momentum. I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.
Loyalty,
Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: A fresh look at the Fuse.
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:57:53 AM
The more multi's I aquire the more I feel I need. It's a zero sum game that's expensive to play but very fun. I like most of the tools by most of the manufacturers and own pretty much all of them. All of them have pros and cons but I can't help wondering why Leatherman retired the Fuse.
There's certainly room for improvement but for the money it appears to be a very well rounded platform. I know Higgins had carried one forever and the Captain loves them as well. I own enough to say I have a collection but it also seems that the demand for this particular tool has not lost momentum. I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.
Loyalty,
Stew...
Good tool offers basic EDC tool selection.  :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:03:40 AM
I've a horrible feeling that the Fuse was discontinued due to either production cost,or better margin on the Wingman/Sidekick,like wise the Blast and the Rebar.

It's a shame. I've had to mod both the Bladeless Fuse,and the Rebar to fully meet my needs,but as a basic chassis I think the Fuse is far better.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:07:53 AM
I really really like mine, enough that I have spent far less time drooling over the more expensive options. Is it as good as a Charge or Surge? Not likely, but it is a damn fine little tool for a more than fair price. I'm a fan of the Zytel handles as well, its different. I don't see it getting the boot as my go to any time soon. Unless I happen upon a cheap Blast, but I really like the Camo handles on my Fuse!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:36:30 AM
I've a horrible feeling that the Fuse was discontinued due to either production cost,or better margin on the Wingman/Sidekick,like wise the Blast and the Rebar.

It's a shame. I've had to mod both the Bladeless Fuse,and the Rebar to fully meet my needs,but as a basic chassis I think the Fuse is far better.

I wondered about this. I've also wondered if Leatherman would ever consider bringing it back. I absolutely love my Rebars but I have no reservation whatsoever about backing them up with a Fuse. Come on Kirk, you're a highly paid professional. Make Leatherman listen. You know what the inevitable outcome is if they don't Sir.

You might get accidentally blamed. ::)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:46:07 AM

Come on Kirk, you're a highly paid professional

Stew,you've definatly got me mixed up with someone else!

As to Leatherman? I do wonder if we Havnt seen their best days already? Up to the Wingman chassis arriving they where tools built with quality in mind. Since then,maybe too much of an eye on market share,maybe too much of an eye on margin. Time will tell
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:56:18 AM

Come on Kirk, you're a highly paid professional

Stew,you've definatly got me mixed up with someone else!

As to Leatherman? I do wonder if we Havnt seen their best days already? Up to the Wingman chassis arriving they where tools built with quality in mind. Since then,maybe too much of an eye on market share,maybe too much of an eye on margin. Time will tell

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've heard others with credentials and experience similar to yours question whether Leatherman still has their head in the game. Therefore I have to question it myself. It seems to me that a successful marketing strategy would be to bring the Fuse back with varied tool loads.

Stew...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:22:23 AM
Their head is in the game... The make the most money as possible game, with no regard for their history.

I think we've all seen their QC fails as of late, and the ridiculous (not all) tools that they have come up with.  Do they still make any great tool?  Absolute!!  Surge, Rebar, SuperTool, Charge/Wave, are great examples of the good tools they still make.  Sadly though, even the good tools have QC problems, which I believe to be related to cost cutting.

I think that both of my PSTs have a much better fit and finish than ANY of my other LMs, including the expensive TTi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 02:32:32 AM
I love the Fuse! Simple as that.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 03:34:47 AM

We know this. That's why you hoard them. If I had to lose my only Camo Fuse I'm glad it went to you. I searched everywhere for a black one to send to Matt2silver to mod with my Orange Fuse that Detron got me. Now I just want more. Their beauty very much lies in their simplicity. Form follows function, everything you need and nothing you don't, etc etc.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:18 AM
The Fuse is my favorite.  Just the right tools (ok, swap the small driver with an awl) and a fairly small and light full sized MT.
- Steve

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 04:04:52 AM

We know this. That's why you hoard them. If I had to lose my only Camo Fuse I'm glad it went to you. I searched everywhere for a black one to send to Matt2silver to mod with my Orange Fuse that Detron got me. Now I just want more. Their beauty very much lies in their simplicity. Form follows function, everything you need and nothing you don't, etc etc.

Very true. I do not consider myself to hoard them, but in light of slowly selling/trading off most of my Leathermans over the last year or so I am considering mainly collecting the Fuse. That is as far as Leathermans go. I will still collect SAK's and some folders.  I do have some Leathermans that I will not sell off unless things really get to that level or I just decide I rather see them with someone else.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 04:05:11 AM
The Fuse is my favorite.  Just the right tools (ok, swap the small driver with an awl) and a fairly small and light full sized MT.

Agreed... :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 04:06:41 AM
Just to put it out their. If anyone has a Black Oxide Cap Crimper or Knifeless in any condition then let me know.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 04:07:21 AM

Very true. I do not consider myself to hoard them, but in light of slowly selling/trading off most of my Leathermans over the last year or so I am considering mainly collecting the Fuse. That is as far as Leathermans go. I will still collect SAK's and some folders.  I do have some Leathermans that I will not sell off unless things really get to that level or I just decide I rather see them with someone else.

Hopefully that time never comes Captain. But if it does, I'll buy all you want to sell and just hold them until you're ready to have them back.
Loyalty,
Stew...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 04:10:24 AM

Hopefully that time never comes Captain. But if it does, I'll buy all you want to sell and just hold them until you're ready to have them back.
Loyalty,
Stew...

Not to sound like a bummer, but most of my collection of Leatherman and Gerber have dwindled down pretty low already. I basically just have some NIB stuff I want to hold onto. If I start selling off alox you know we have a problem.  ;)
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 04:19:39 AM

Loyalty,
Stew...

Not to sound like a bummer, but most of my collection of Leatherman and Gerber have dwindled down pretty low already. I basically just have some NIB stuff I want to hold onto. If I start selling off alox you know we have a problem.  ;)

I'll be there... :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 04:20:56 AM

Loyalty,
Stew...

I'll be there... :cheers:

Thanks buddy!  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 05:55:29 AM
There are a couple of e-bay vendors selling brand new Fuses in lots of 1, 5,10,25, 50 . There seem to be plenty around.

00 Offline symphonyincminor

Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 02:36:52 PM
The Fuse is a great tool, with a nice tool loadout for EDC purposes. Just wish it had a file and it would be perfect. Always liked the Zytel on the Kick/Fuse/Blast line of tools. Leatherman had them on sale a few months back and was able to pick up a couple. Now I'm left with a black oxide one stashed away for safe keeping.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 08:07:02 PM
The Fuse is a great tool, with a nice tool loadout for EDC purposes. Just wish it had a file and it would be perfect. Always liked the Zytel on the Kick/Fuse/Blast line of tools. Leatherman had them on sale a few months back and was able to pick up a couple. Now I'm left with a black oxide one stashed away for safe keeping.

I do wish they would of added a tool to the empty space on the Fuse. I would like a saw. I do not remember if the longer tools would fit in the spot or only shorter tools like the drivers or a awl.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Inky

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 09:07:36 PM
Love the Fuse, carry it at work every day. It has everything I need and nothing I dont. Perfect.... Having said that, I too wish that something more useful that a lanyard hole could have found its way into that gap, personally I'd go with a file... Let's face it, we need a Pulse II.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:20 PM
Their head is in the game... The make the most money as possible game, with no regard for their history.

I think we've all seen their QC fails as of late, and the ridiculous (not all) tools that they have come up with.  Do they still make any great tool?  Absolute!!  Surge, Rebar, SuperTool, Charge/Wave, are great examples of the good tools they still make.  Sadly though, even the good tools have QC problems, which I believe to be related to cost cutting.

I think that both of my PSTs have a much better fit and finish than ANY of my other LMs, including the expensive TTi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly this appears to be quite true.  I would even go so far as to say they beginning of the end started at the introduction of the Wingman and Sidekick.  Those two tools are absolutely transparent in that they were created in order to target both younger users and folks that are new to multi's in general.  They also happen to be crap tools IMHO, that are all about cutting corners and saving production costs. 

The problem I have with Leatherman's new lineup is that their new flagship tools are separated from their tradition. They are trying to get new customers by building flashy BS that won't last the test of time.  I'll offer up a brand new MUT for a giveaway if the Leatherman Thruster is still in production in 3 years.   

And the whole wingman thing is embarassing.  Talk about a marketing ploy!  I have owned a wingman and it was a hunk of garbage.  I gave it away.  I consider myself a core user of these tools, I've always carried one and most of my jobs have demanded it.  I currently carry a Rebar and it's a beast of a tool, but it's very low key at Leatherman, they'd much rather talk about their ridiculous Leatherman Sport line than the boring ol' rebar.  Rather than pandering to people who probably aren't interested in MT's anyways, take care of those who are.  Tradesmen, not skateboarders! 

You don't see Klein tools releasing a line of neon colored supersport multimeters with built in headphone holders, or a new ten in one screwdriver that doubles as a grip tape scraper!  That's because Klein knows who they are and their reputation sells their stuff.  I have never seen an advertisement for Klein tools, I just know they are awesome and can sometimes be overpriced, but I buy them anyway.  That's exactly how I felt about Leatherman about 5 years ago, but not anymore. 

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 04:43:01 AM
I think the Wingman is a wiser move than you give it credit for.

I bought mine as a backup/alternate, never really put it to use beyond service trials, so it lived on my workbench where I still had to get out my Wave or Skeletool to cut wire.  I gave it to my then-girlfriend, and she's still getting lots of use out of it.

She's the Wingman's target market; until she started mechanic's school, she's never really worked with tools before.  Her favorite feature is the spring-loaded pliers, and despite her hands being half the size of mine, the size of the handles in hand don't seem to bother her.

And we're in mechanic school together.  She carries a Wingman, I carry a Skeletool and another guy carries an ST300, and a non-tool person probably wouldn't know the difference by watching us.  That Wingman has handled everything thrown at it except cutting safety wire.

That said, what has Leatherman done since the WM/SK?

OHT -- "Hey, the military types seem to prefer Gerber's OTF pliers, and the patent just ran out."
Rebar -- "You know the ST-300?  It's that, but slightly smaller."
Pocket Tool line -- "We just bought PocketToolX, time to wring this for every drop we can."
Juice SX -- "you know what the world needs?  An even less useful Juice C2"
Skeletool SX --"Nothing says "Snowboard" more than a Skeletool with a diamond file riveted to the side."
Juice update -- "Let's shorten the blades, rearrange the colors and only paint half the tools from now on.  They'll love it."
Raptor -- "You know those practically disposable shears EMTs use?  Let's make an $80 version."
Z-Rex -- "Studies show the 'just drove off a bridge' demographic is an underserved market."
Leap -- "No seriously, some soda still comes with a pry off cap, just ask the grocery store."
Signal -- "This'll show that Les Stroud guy how it's done."
Tread -- "Buck said that we couldn't sell men a $200 charm bracelet in front of the other knife companies, so we had to."
Rev -- "The bottom of the line just got bottomer."
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 04:51:55 AM

I bought mine as a backup/alternate, never really put it to use beyond service trials, so it lived on my workbench where I still had to get out my Wave or Skeletool to cut wire.  I gave it to my then-girlfriend, and she's still getting lots of use out of it.

She's the Wingman's target market; until she started mechanic's school, she's never really worked with tools before.  Her favorite feature is the spring-loaded pliers, and despite her hands being half the size of mine, the size of the handles in hand don't seem to bother her.

And we're in mechanic school together.  She carries a Wingman, I carry a Skeletool and another guy carries an ST300, and a non-tool person probably wouldn't know the difference by watching us.  That Wingman has handled everything thrown at it except cutting safety wire.

OHT -- "Hey, the military types seem to prefer Gerber's OTF pliers, and the patent just ran out."
Pocket Tool line -- "We just bought PocketToolX, time to wring this for every drop we can."
Skeletool SX --"Nothing says "Snowboard" more than a Skeletool with a diamond file riveted to the side."
Juice update -- "Let's shorten the blades, rearrange the colors and only paint half the tools from now on.  They'll love it."
Raptor -- "You know those practically disposable shears EMTs use?  Let's make an $80 version."
Z-Rex -- "Studies show the 'just drove off a bridge' demographic is an underserved market."
Leap -- "No seriously, some soda still comes with a pry off cap, just ask the grocery store."
Tread -- "Buck said that we couldn't sell men a $200 charm bracelet in front of the other knife companies, so we had to."

:rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 05:01:17 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

I heartily agree on all counts except the wingman.  As a regular user of tools in tough applications, I can guarantee the Wingman cannot hold up to serious use.  If you think it can you are not a serious user.  Spring loaded pliers are a gimmick used to sell cheap tools.  Anvil cutters make no sense and newbie users don't know the difference.  The tool profiles are wacky and cartoonish, not practical at all.  And the tool itself isn't rigid enough to do much of anything.  All of this is easily swept under the rug given the target demographic, but that's where I have a problem with Leatherman's angle.  Starting people out with garbage will make them think that garbage is all there is.  Believe me, once you start using the Wingman in a serious application daily, you will soon fall out of love with it. 

I am currently in Building Maintenance, and I use my multitool hard, every day.  Put it this way, my Rebar has shown several weaknesses to me clearly, and it's ten times the tool the wingman is. 

us Offline BASguy

Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 05:16:51 AM
Leatherman...... You make me sad. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 05:25:33 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

I heartily agree on all counts except the wingman.  As a regular user of tools in tough applications, I can guarantee the Wingman cannot hold up to serious use.  If you think it can you are not a serious user.  Spring loaded pliers are a gimmick used to sell cheap tools.  Anvil cutters make no sense and newbie users don't know the difference.  The tool profiles are wacky and cartoonish, not practical at all.  And the tool itself isn't rigid enough to do much of anything.  All of this is easily swept under the rug given the target demographic, but that's where I have a problem with Leatherman's angle.  Starting people out with garbage will make them think that garbage is all there is.  Believe me, once you start using the Wingman in a serious application daily, you will soon fall out of love with it. 

I am currently in Building Maintenance, and I use my multitool hard, every day.  Put it this way, my Rebar has shown several weaknesses to me clearly, and it's ten times the tool the wingman is.

Well, people like you are the people who make the Rebar and Supertool so important. Honestly, I'll likely never use my tools as frequently or rigorously as you do. But I wouldn't say that the WM/SK don't have their place. I could carry nothing but my Sidekick for all my EDC duties and probably never have it let me down, but the Fuse is head and shoulders above in quality and engineering. Are they good Leatherman tools? Negative. But if they were to have Gerber written on the side I think we'd be a bit less apprehensive.

But you guys are right that they're heading down a bad path, I just don't think the Sidekick is the worst thing to be spewed out along the way.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:40 AM
No I would say the Thruster gets the honor of being the worst thing.  Or at least the dumbest.   :facepalm:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:23 AM
No I would say the Thruster gets the honor of being the worst thing.  Or at least the dumbest.   :facepalm:

That's a fair assessment :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59