Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army Knives.....by ducktapehero

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Swiss Army Knives.....by ducktapehero
on: July 27, 2008, 03:20:05 PM
I started carrying them in high school. At 1st it was just a Vic Classic on my keyring as a backup to my Buck 501. I had that same Classic through most of my military career as a backup to my Leatherman tool and a Gerber lockblade. About 6 months before I got out I lost that Classic and bought another one. After I got out of the army I bought a bigger one and retired the Leatherman and the Gerber.

Since then I have had a SAK on all of my adventures. I wasn't the type who wanted to sit in front of the TV when I was in my 20's. I got out and enjoyed life. Hunting, fishing, camping and other outdoor adventures. I also was a HUGE fan of bars and admittedly had more than my fair share of drunken adventures. But no matter what a SAK of some kind was in my pocket.

It was there when me and a Friend broke down in my old truck in the middle of Kansas at 2 in the morning. It was there when I got married, BOTH times. I had one in my pocket when my son was born. To all my friends and family I'm "The guy with the Macgyver knife". It has saved my bacon more than once. It has also been an all important tool in making my life simpler. Hundreds of trips to grab a screwdriver, or can opener, or bottle opener have been avoided because I had my trusty SAK.

It has never failed me. I've had several models but they all were great. I wish I would have kept them. Before I had the internet when the scales of my SAK's were broken I'd pitch it and get a new one. I didn't know you could replace scales. I also didn't know I would become sentimental later in life, I wish I would have kept them. So I could hold them and reflect on how that particular knife had served me.

Of course I can't do that. I have been keeping them the last 2 or 3 years but I've only "retired" one. But it's in my chest of drawers, the dates I carried it marked on it. But I can look at the one I'm carrying now and think how SAK's in general have served me. The countless Christmas presents opened and put together. The times when a screwdriver, or an awl, or a can opener or even just a good sharp blade saved the day.

I just thought I'd reflect on how for over 20 years these little red (and occasionally ALOX) handled knives have served me well. And I hope I have another 40 years of having them in my pocket. I know that when I die one of the things I will want as I'm laying there in my casket is my SAK in my pocket. You never know, it may serve my for an eternity.

How's that for an artsy fartsy poem like thingy? OK now back to being my usual casual self.  :D :D :D
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swiss Army Knives.....by ducktapehero
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:40:25 PM
That was truly a good read! Thanks
B

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:48:15 PM
Great read Dth :cheers: :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:58:33 PM
Thank oyu DTH you have managed to put into words the reasons that I carry my SAK everywhere

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:35:36 PM
very nice bro! I enjoyed that :cheers:

now if they bury you with your SAKs, I'm using mine to pry open....never mind :salute:

Offline Steel Blade

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 07:45:29 PM
Good story, I like these long posts with a lot of background.

So often the same story with different people. Anyone who has carried a SAK for a while has a story of how it saved them at a critical time. Good to hear your story and I guess I also will have to decide which SAK I want to be buried with.

Best Regards

Bob
Y

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 08:27:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, DTH.

I was an idiot when I was a kid. I had a few basic 58mm and 84mm (with scissors!) SAKs given to me over the years, but I ignored them because I thought they weren't "cool". Everyone around me had sheath knifes, and I thought SAKs were a joke. So, I just threw them in the garbage at some point.

My wife bought herself a Highlander at some point, and also grabbed me a little Signature II which I put on my keychain. At first, I still roled my eyes at her, but she is the one who actually defended Vic and Wenger saying they were incredible quality and that the brand was becoming very trendy (She was seeing their other products in magazines).

I kept the 58mm on my keychain for a few years and it started to prove very useful. I started a job where I was doing a lot more repair work, and began pocket carrying a few basic tools. This led me to look into multitools. I joined SOSAK because I thought it might also be handy to upgrade my 58mm to something that I could do basic repairs with. I started researching the different models and reading how others used their SAKs and became intrigued.

I started using my wife's Highlander and was shocked at how much I could do with it, and even moreso, at how sturdy it was. For some reason, I had always thought that SAKs were fragile and that you couldn't really use them for any real work.

So instead of picking up a multitool like had originally intended, I purchased a few more SAKs. The amount of work I have been able to do with just the SAKs has been incredible and I am a complete convert.

Even still, I was sometimes skeptical about the utility of some of the implements, but slowly have come to use most of them. For example, I got an Explorer but thought the magnifier was just a gimmick. Now I use the magnifier all the time. Likewise I never imagined that the philips on the can opener would be very useful, but I use it all the time too. Another instance is the pliers which looked too small to be of use. I don't have a model with pliers yet, but I have seen enough from other to realize they can be extremely useful.

So now I am a full-fledged SAK believer. I carry one everywhere and resort to it as my first line of attack when confronted with any task.

It has truly changed my life. Little things that I would let slip by in the past now get done. Partially because I now have the tools readily at hand, but also because the SAK makes these tasks fun. This in turn has made me more interested in learning about other tools and wanted to do more. I am getting an incredible sense of accomplishment from repairing things myself, which in turn, makes me feel better about myself. It is incredibly good for relieving stress too.

I really can't imagine not having a SAK with me at any time in the future. It is like a little secret friend, and as I get to know it better, the bond only grows...

[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:08:40 PM
I started carrying them in high school...How's that for an artsy fartsy poem like thingy? OK now back to being my usual casual self.  :D :D :D

Thanks for an excellent little essay, ducktapehero.

I too threw away SAKs with broken scales - it just never occured to me that the scales might be replacable.

For years I thought of SAKs as sort of low grade, almost disposable knives.  SAKs were strictly utilitarian, not something I'd want to hang on to long term like my better looking Case Campers or Camillus Scouts.

N

Offline silentio

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:07:48 AM
Thanks for sharing, DTH.

I was an idiot when I was a kid.

Wow, some things never change eh? :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for the great story. I'm similar in that aspect. Got a very nice Wenger Traveler from my girlfriend (then, now wife) and never carried it around! Can you imagine that? I always had my Classic with me on my keychain, but never appreciated the SAK till about a year back.

max, I think it's wonderful that your wife is such a great SAK supporter. Even though my wife was the one who got me my first non-keychain SAK, she rolls her eyes these days whenever I acquire a new one. :D

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:32:07 AM
though my wife was the one who got me my first non-keychain SAK, she rolls her eyes these days whenever I acquire a new one. :D

Don't worry. I fully realize I am still an idiot. That is the only smart thing I know.  :D

My wife is the same! She was sincerely happy the first time I bought a SAK for myself. When the second SAK arrived, however, she rolled her eyes at me too.

To be honest, she doesn't give me that a hard a time, but she does think it is a little weird to be that interested in Swiss Army knives. Fortunately, she is also interested in lots of odd things, so she can relate on that level.

Actually when I think back, my whole family were SAK people to some extent. Everyone, both men and women, either had a simple 58mm or 84mm model, usually with scissors. Even my grandmother carried an 84mm in her purse. That's probably why I thought they weren't cool. :p

That is actually also why I think Vic is dropping the ball with the 84mm line. I think 91mm is too large for many people. 84mm is much less intimidating. And the average person loves the scissors. Vic's offerings in 84mm are pathetic now. If they beefed up their offerings, perhaps with some stylish scales, I bet they would sell like hotcakes. Maybe they just want that money to come through Wenger?

[

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:59 PM
Whenever a guy sees one of my SAKs, he starts taking out the implements and marveling at the engineering. When a woman saw my Farmer, she asked what was in it. The little wood saw produced a literal squeel of joy.

Note to the wise, I guess. o_0
W

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:58:43 PM
When a woman saw my Farmer, she asked what was in it. The little wood saw produced a literal squeel of joy.
They get used to it quickly. When I pull out my SAK to play with my wife just rolls her eyes. At least with that she doesn't giggle.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:40 PM
God love my wife.  At first I "made" her carry a SAK and a small multi tool in her purse. :D
Now when she is at work and the guys there need a knife or screwdriver they come to her.

She carries a Wenger Nail clipper (Plum Ice) that her girlfriends just find adorable.
Actually she is a great ad for SAK and multi tools.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:57 AM
One of the best posts ever ! I have reydiscovered SAKs . Im mostly rocking a Cadet and a Swisstool , with an Alox Classic in reserve .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD