Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman PST chronology project

J-sews · 1347 · 320204

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman PST chronology project
Reply #960 on: February 26, 2018, 07:54:43 PM
Great additions to your collection !   :cheers: :like: :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #961 on: February 26, 2018, 11:50:36 PM
Great Find - well done !    :tu:  :tu:  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #962 on: February 27, 2018, 03:28:48 AM
2 very nice additions to the collection wow :o :dd: :like:

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #963 on: February 28, 2018, 01:10:08 AM
Hello everyone! This thread is amazing, I recently inherited what looks like a brand new original PST and I was trying to figure out the year. It even has the original manual with it.

I think it’s a late 80’s US based on reading a lot of this thread but haven’t found one like this anywhere. BOTH handles are stamped the exact same Leatherman Tool, US Reg TM 1325473, Portland,OR. Ruler has inches and metric, knurled screws, drop point blade not clip, left hand?Can opener, small pivot, and no date stamp. Knife blade and pliers say Leatherman USA. Here are some pics, any guesses on year?

Also there’s very faint markings on one of the handles backsides that I can’t make out looks like just something ghosting into the metal.

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #964 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:20 AM
Hello everyone! This thread is amazing, I recently inherited what looks like a brand new original PST and I was trying to figure out the year. It even has the original manual with it.

I think it’s a late 80’s US based on reading a lot of this thread but haven’t found one like this anywhere. BOTH handles are stamped the exact same Leatherman Tool, US Reg TM 1325473, Portland,OR. Ruler has inches and metric, knurled screws, drop point blade not clip, left hand?Can opener, small pivot, and no date stamp. Knife blade and pliers say Leatherman USA. Here are some pics, any guesses on year?

Also there’s very faint markings on one of the handles backsides that I can’t make out looks like just something ghosting into the metal.

1. Your item with clip point (saber) or short clip point knife blade - NOT drop point.
Please, add photo with full view of knife blade (on both your pictures blade type is not visible).
2. Your item have a date codes, it's may be poor visible, but they are there.

Anyway, it's quite usual version that was produced during period from 0495 to 0995 if it's clip point (saber) or from 0895 to 0396 if it's short clip point PST.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #965 on: February 28, 2018, 11:51:55 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: wowaboro is always great at placing dates in these :salute: It would help if the whole knife was in view though :cheers: It does look like it would have datecodes in the handles to me as well :think: Check in them with a flashlight to make sure :tu: It is a very nice looking PST though :drool: :like:

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #966 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:14 PM

1. Your item with clip point (saber) or short clip point knife blade - NOT drop point.
Please, add photo with full view of knife blade (on both your pictures blade type is not visible).

Anyway, it's quite usual version that was produced during period from 0495 to 0995 if it's clip point (saber) or from 0895 to 0396 if it's short clip point PST.

Wow, so you are 100% right I think, I finally found the freaking date stamp and feel like a moron. It's got 0895 stamped on it. So i guess the rest is normal for it? here's a better picture of everything. I was on mobile before and it didn't play nice with the images.
image1.jpeg
* image1.jpeg (Filesize: 206.55 KB)
image4.jpeg
* image4.jpeg (Filesize: 64.79 KB)
image5.jpeg
* image5.jpeg (Filesize: 110.08 KB)

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #967 on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:33 PM

Actually the plot thickens more, one handle says 0795 and one says 0895

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #968 on: March 02, 2018, 02:56:57 AM

Actually the plot thickens more, one handle says 0795 and one says 0895

Very normal to have handles with different datecodes in each side :salute:

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #969 on: March 02, 2018, 03:06:00 AM
Thanks! Didn’t know that, I’m learning so much.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #972 on: March 06, 2018, 03:21:07 AM
A $1,200 PST...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leatherman-PST-Pocket-Toolchest-Sold-by-Early-Winters-Catalog-Super-Nice/132526688935?hash=item1edb34caa7:g:FQsAAOSwI39anI9z

Hmmm.   :think:

The seller claims this is an Early Winter's catalog version (from the very beginning of PST production).  I'm not 100% convinced, even though he has what seems to be legit Early Winter's doco with it.

I have two reasons for my doubts:

1  Many of the very early PSTs I've seen have "hollow" knurled screws, "Leatherman" only (no USA) pliers, and some have "Leatherman, USA" etched on the main part of the knife blade.  This example has none of these characteristics.

2  This particular PST variant ie with only "US PAT 4238862" and a name stamped on the handles (No "Leatherman", mo Personal Survival Tool", no "Oregon, USA") is not particularly rare - I have 4 and I've seen quite a few more that I could have purchased.  I have a theory that there was a large batch of these tools ordered from Leatherman, personalised and given out to many people as some kind of reward or promotion.  Most I've looked at don't seem to have been used much at all.

I'd be very interested in hearing opinions from other people.   ???
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:22:36 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #973 on: March 06, 2018, 04:18:15 PM
Did Leatherman had an official contract in the past to provide tools to the Army?
Does anybody have info about this?
Thank you.
Enjoy!

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #974 on: March 06, 2018, 07:57:45 PM
A $1,200 PST...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leatherman-PST-Pocket-Toolchest-Sold-by-Early-Winters-Catalog-Super-Nice/132526688935?hash=item1edb34caa7:g:FQsAAOSwI39anI9z

The seller claims this is an Early Winter's catalog version (from the very beginning of PST production).  I'm not 100% convinced, even though he has what seems to be legit Early Winter's doco with it.

1  Many of the very early PSTs I've seen have "hollow" knurled screws, "Leatherman" only (no USA) pliers, and some have "Leatherman, USA" etched on the main part of the knife blade.  This example has none of these characteristics.

2  This particular PST variant ie with only "US PAT 4238862" and a name stamped on the handles (No "Leatherman", mo Personal Survival Tool", no "Oregon, USA") is not particularly rare - I have 4 and I've seen quite a few more that I could have purchased.  I have a theory that there was a large batch of these tools ordered from Leatherman, personalised and given out to many people as some kind of reward or promotion.  Most I've looked at don't seem to have been used much at all.

Greg, I think it's a lot easier ;)
It's really a PST for the Early Winter's. Just they were a few modifications (as like for Cabela's). Earliest and rarest have only "LEATHERMAN" on pliers, etch on knife blade and earliest (lightly gold) file, later (and not very rare) have "LEATHERMAN TOOL" on pliers and later types files. With hollow screws these tools were not.
By my calculations exist 5 different variants of this Eearly Winter's PSTs (I have 4).
Item on eBay is latest variant of EW PST, in addition with some name engraved - 1200$ it's just insanely overprice  :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #975 on: March 07, 2018, 01:52:32 AM
A $1,200 PST...

Greg, I think it's a lot easier ;)
It's really a PST for the Early Winter's. Just they were a few modifications (as like for Cabela's). Earliest and rarest have only "LEATHERMAN" on pliers, etch on knife blade and earliest (lightly gold) file, later (and not very rare) have "LEATHERMAN TOOL" on pliers and later types files. With hollow screws these tools were not.
By my calculations exist 5 different variants of this Eearly Winter's PSTs (I have 4).
Item on eBay is latest variant of EW PST, in addition with some name engraved - 1200$ it's just insanely overprice  :D

That sounds logical - even in the very early days LM were changing things frequently on the PSTs they were building.  Just to satisfy my PST curiosity, what are the 5 different variations that you know of ?

And thanks for the above info Vladimir,  :tu:  it is always good to learn more about this deceptively simple looking tool that brought plier-based MTs into the mainstream market   :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:01:50 AM by gregozedobe »

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #976 on: March 07, 2018, 03:14:28 PM
Enjoy!

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #977 on: March 07, 2018, 03:22:31 PM
A $200 PST, is this the new limited production collector item?
Thank you.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Leatherman-PST-Tool/productDetail/Full-Size-Multi-Tool/prod99999056490/cat100817

Yep this is the 35th limited edition one. The collector limited edition is only available from Leatherman.com and Leatherman.ca. They are only making 500 of the limited collector ones but they cost $275 and come in a wooden display box with sheath. No one seems sure how many of the $200 ones will be out there, but they are the ones released worldwide.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:24:15 PM by Shadowtek »

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #978 on: March 07, 2018, 03:31:41 PM
Thank you for clarifying this for me, what are the main differences between them?
Enjoy!

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #979 on: March 07, 2018, 04:44:08 PM
Thank you for clarifying this for me, what are the main differences between them?

Heritage Limited Edition- $200, available worldwide, comes in cardboard box with brown leather OG sheath and has Tim’s signature etched in handle.

Collector Edition - $275, only available in US/Canada(unless you get creative) limited to 500 pieces. It comes in wood display case, has Tim’s signature etched in handle, numbered up to 500 (etched/printed inside handle), has collectible coin and T-shirt. Also comes with OG brown Leather sheath and has letter of authenticity with Tim’s signature I think.

Aside from the numbering out of 500 the tools are identical I believe.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:52:54 PM by Shadowtek »

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #980 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:27 PM
Thank you.
Enjoy!

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #981 on: March 07, 2018, 06:45:38 PM
Just to satisfy my PST curiosity, what are the 5 different variations that you know of ?

It's small part (only Early Winters variants) of my PST working table at the moment (changes are possible, green colored items that I have):

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #982 on: March 07, 2018, 11:48:25 PM
The novices work is in the first post of this thread

Here we see a glimpse of the master's work  !!   ::)   

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #983 on: March 08, 2018, 03:18:43 AM
Just to satisfy my PST curiosity, what are the 5 different variations that you know of ?

It's small part (only Early Winters variants) of my PST working table at the moment (changes are possible, green colored items that I have):

Thanks for that.   :tu:    I'll look at my examples and see what I have.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #984 on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:56 AM
Did Leatherman had an official contract in the past to provide tools to the Army?
Thank you.

As far as I know, Leatherman never had a contract to supply multitools to the U.S. military. Gerber beat them out with the MPT5.  I discuss that in the linked thread, 'Gerber MPT vs Leatherman PST'
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76277.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #985 on: March 09, 2018, 01:42:48 PM
Thank you.

As far as I know, Leatherman never had a contract to supply multitools to the U.S. military. Gerber beat them out with the MPT5.  I discuss that in the linked thread, 'Gerber MPT vs Leatherman PST'
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76277.0.html

Isn't the OHT Military issue nowadays? I think I read it somewhere  :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #986 on: March 24, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
Recently I bought new in blister packaged PST w/Nylon sheath. The date codes I can't see, because I don't want to damage the packaging. I think it's one of the latest releases before the end of their production and anyway not later than 1004 (october 2004).

but when I looked closer, I noticed this:

2007!!?? What would that mean?  ??? :think:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #987 on: March 24, 2018, 04:39:10 PM
 :o

:think:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #988 on: March 25, 2018, 06:24:05 AM
Recently I bought new in blister packaged PST w/Nylon sheath. The date codes I can't see, because I don't want to damage the packaging. I think it's one of the latest releases before the end of their production and anyway not later than 1004 (october 2004).

2007!!?? What would that mean?  ??? :think:

And if you look further along that same line you see "0907" which in LM-speak usually means September 2007.

All very strange indeed  ???

If it was mine I would have great difficulty in not opening the package to see what date stamps are on the handles ........

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #989 on: March 25, 2018, 03:38:37 PM
I bought a Supertool 200 NIP 1005 datecodes and a Grey Kf4 NIP (didn't look for it for the datecodes) in blister packs just like that around 2008-09 and the ST200 packaging has 2008 on it :salute: They also had PSTs :cheers: I bought a ST200, a couple of the Kf4s (one for a member here :tu: ) but I didn't get a PST :facepalm: as I had been looking for older ones at the time and that one was still a bit higher than what I wanted to pay considering they had on been discontinued a few years at that time :tu: So I would say it is the latest datecode on a PST with newer packaging to get rid of the remaining stock after the big discontinuing of 04/05 :salute:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:39:40 PM by Poncho65 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD