Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Little bit of gear lists

us Offline bayoublade

Little bit of gear lists
on: April 14, 2015, 07:07:23 AM
Evening all... I'm new to the group and mentioned that I'm off season on my hiking/camping  and needed to fuel another obsession i.e. multi tools haha. Anyway, one member suggested I pass over here and make mention of some of the gear... So if anyone is interested...
I was curious as to what gear any outdoor folk/multi tool users were hitting the trail with....... I'm an Osprey pack user, Big Agnes tenter and sleeper, MSR, GSI, and Mountain House cooker/eater, and a Sawyer water purifier kinda guy.... for a start. :-) ........ and of course a Leatherman carrier :-)
What gear do you all use?

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Little bit of gear lists
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:49 AM
 :drool:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 138.58 KB)

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:57:48 AM
:drool:
Drool indeed! Choice gear, man. What do you pack it all up in?

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:04 AM
Maxpedition Octa

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
Welcome   :cheers: multitool wise usually my og wave,but tend to carry my swisschamp these days,but possibly the vic spirit  :ahhh also a buck 371 ,as for the rest of my gear  :ahhh too much camping gear too mention as built up a lot over the last 15 years,i mainly go camping with my family so the tents have got bigger over the years  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:54:33 AM
Off to do some work just now, but I'll put something together later.  Big user of Vango gear though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:57 AM
Nice gear guys.

That's us mobile
Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:51 PM
Off to do some work just now, but I'll put something together later.  Big user of Vango gear though.

:tu:

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 03:17:23 PM
Welcome   :cheers: multitool wise usually my og wave,but tend to carry my swisschamp these days,but possibly the vic spirit  :ahhh also a buck 371 ,as for the rest of my gear  :ahhh too much camping gear too mention as built up a lot over the last 15 years,i mainly go camping with my family so the tents have got bigger over the years  :tu:
Trying to get my wife into hiking but the youngin's are preventing that for the time being.... She likes the idea of car camping better for the near future.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:00:23 PM
Car camping is a great intro to camping for the family, once they get out they'll naturally begin to explore. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:40:17 PM
First off...Welcome!!

Now to the topic at hand -
I'm not really into hiking or backpacking, but I do spend quite a bit of time in the great outdoors.  My main tools would be my Original LM Surge, ST300, and Victorinox Explorer. Not sure if you have a good fixed blade or not, but I highly recommend Esee knives; I have several and love 'em.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 04:59:13 PM
First off...Welcome!!

Now to the topic at hand -
I'm not really into hiking or backpacking, but I do spend quite a bit of time in the great outdoors.  My main tools would be my Original LM Surge, ST300, and Victorinox Explorer. Not sure if you have a good fixed blade or not, but I highly recommend Esee knives; I have several and love 'em.
I don't really use fixed blades but do habe a great Buck fixed I was given years ago. Some of the knives I use are Kershaw Ken onion series, an older benchmade, and have used a Gerber as well.

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 02:51:40 AM
Forgot I had made this post. I know the summer has been brutal (we are in straight week of 100 degree weather) but I'm longing to hit the trail again. How many of you car camp vs hike/trail/backpack camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 10:59:43 AM

Oops, never did follow up on this. :-[

Tent: Vango Banshee 200
Sleeping pad: Exped Downmat Lite 5M
Sleeping bag: Various, but my main one is a Vango Ultralite 4 season synthetic.
Rucksack: My large bag is a Karrimor 65L and my 45L is a......something. :think:  I'll need to go check.*
Cooker: Trangia.  Vango mini stove or Esbit cookset if I'm going lighter.

*Checked.  It's a Vango Boulder 45.

Told you I use a lot of Vango gear. :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:23:17 AM by Gareth »

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:57 PM

Oops, never did follow up on this. :-[

Tent: Vango Banshee 200
Sleeping pad: Exped Downmat Lite 5M
Sleeping bag: Various, but my main one is a Vango Ultralite 4 season synthetic.
Rucksack: My large bag is a Karrimor 65L and my 45L is a......something. :think:  I'll need to go check.*
Cooker: Trangia.  Vango mini stove or Esbit cookset if I'm going lighter.

*Checked.  It's a Vango Boulder 45.

Told you I use a lot of Vango gear. :D
Just went on their site and looked at the Banshee 200... It's a great looking rig. I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2. Vango's gear seems a bit more heavy duty. The UL stuff that is really popular is a bit more ... thin ;)
I'm always curious to find people's thoughts on UL versus on the trail practicality. What are your thoughts?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 12:36:53 PM
Lightweight is good IMO and, if you're hiking for several days, then lighter the better. :D 

Seriously, when I bought the Banshee I would have bought a lighter tent if there had been an affordable one on the market.  I got the Banshee six years ago mind you and things have moved on a bit, but at the time there seemed to be a magic "2kg" weight (4lb 6oz?).  Lots of cheap but heavy tents, if you wanted anything less than 2kg then it would cost you an arm and a leg and the promise of your first born child. ;)  The Banshee offered the best price to weight ratio that I could find at the time.

I've noticed that Vango are now offering a few tents that are lighter and just as cheap as the Banshee was.  I've got the Blade 100 (1.7kg/3lb 11oz)on my wish list.  That's still about a pound heavier than yours, but costs a quarter of the price.  If I could justify the cost I'd be very tempted, but I really can't. :-\

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:52 PM
For hiking/backpacking, I've wrestled a bit with the quality and functionality vs weight vs COST, because, well, I spend all my money on MTs :D  (...and bills, diapers, etc... :facepalm:).  But so far, I think I've found a balance where I give up some of all 3 of those elements.  Not the most comfortable, not the most lightweight, and not the cheapest, but a good mix.

Tent - REI Quarter Dome 1
Pack - Gregory Z65
Bag - Marmot synthentic 30 degree
Pad - Thermarest Prolite 4

With clothes, food, water, and one or two sharp things ;), I can usually stay around to 25-30 pounds total for a weekend trip.

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 01:58:57 AM

For hiking/backpacking, I've wrestled a bit with the quality and functionality vs weight vs COST, because, well, I spend all my money on MTs :D  (...and bills, diapers, etc... :facepalm:).  But so far, I think I've found a balance where I give up some of all 3 of those elements.  Not the most comfortable, not the most lightweight, and not the cheapest, but a good mix.

Tent - REI Quarter Dome 1
Pack - Gregory Z65
Bag - Marmot synthentic 30 degree
Pad - Thermarest Prolite 4

With clothes, food, water, and one or two sharp things ;), I can usually stay around to 25-30 pounds total for a weekend trip.
That's where I keep my total weight as well.
My gear list is as follows:
Tent- BA Copper Spur UL2
Pack- osprey Atmos 65
Bag- Big Agnes gunn creek 35 and mystic 15
Pad- Big Agnes insulated pad
I feel ya on the $$$ ... I got into MTs to keep my addiction to SOMETHING going while I was in my hiking off season lol!

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:31 AM

Lightweight is good IMO and, if you're hiking for several days, then lighter the better. :D 

Seriously, when I bought the Banshee I would have bought a lighter tent if there had been an affordable one on the market.  I got the Banshee six years ago mind you and things have moved on a bit, but at the time there seemed to be a magic "2kg" weight (4lb 6oz?).  Lots of cheap but heavy tents, if you wanted anything less than 2kg then it would cost you an arm and a leg and the promise of your first born child. ;)  The Banshee offered the best price to weight ratio that I could find at the time.

I've noticed that Vango are now offering a few tents that are lighter and just as cheap as the Banshee was.  I've got the Blade 100 (1.7kg/3lb 11oz)on my wish list.  That's still about a pound heavier than yours, but costs a quarter of the price.  If I could justify the cost I'd be very tempted, but I really can't. :-\
I will check out the Blade... I'm always looking for a new way to blow hundreds of dollars haha.
My Spur 2 was a forum score; I'm a part of an Appalachian trail forum and scored it from a member there for a great price. I don't have $400 to drop on a tent... I wouldn't either; I believe it to be a bit steep... as much as I like BA's gear. 

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:59:20 AM

... I got into MTs to keep my addiction to SOMETHING going while I was in my hiking off season lol!

Haha, I know what you mean.  If I get quiet on the forum for a while, it's probably because I'm researching (read: obsessing) about a new tent or pack or stove or ... :)

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 04:11:03 AM

... I got into MTs to keep my addiction to SOMETHING going while I was in my hiking off season lol!

Haha, I know what you mean.  If I get quiet on the forum for a while, it's probably because I'm researching (read: obsessing) about a new tent or pack or stove or ... :)
Haha! I'm all set for gear at the moment... But it probably won't take long to start obsessing about some new gear! I get laughs from my wife all the time as I watch gear reviews on YouTube for hours haha!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:05 AM
LOL.  That sounds exactly like me as well.  My wife knows that once I home in on an item or idea it only becomes a matter of "when" not "if" I end up buying it. :whistle:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 09:19:04 AM
Haha! I'm all set for gear at the moment... But it probably won't take long to start obsessing about some new gear! I get laughs from my wife all the time as I watch gear reviews on YouTube for hours haha!

Youtube gear reviews should be classed with Heroin.......creates a need.  :rant:
Not a want, a have-to-have-it-neeeeeeeeeeeeeed!  :rofl:
 :facepalm:

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:35 PM

LOL.  That sounds exactly like me as well.  My wife knows that once I home in on an item or idea it only becomes a matter of "when" not "if" I end up buying it. :whistle:
You have described my situation PERFECTLY!!! Although, she doesn't have too big an issue with the review binging, I need to show my wife this comment to remind her I'm not an anomaly haha!
Is there a way to acquire Vango gear in the U.S.?

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 04:33:59 PM

Youtube gear reviews should be classed with Heroin.......creates a need.  :rant:
Not a want, a have-to-have-it-neeeeeeeeeeeeeed!  :rofl:
 :facepalm:
You and Gareth have hit the nail on the head... It's a burning, blinding addiction hahaha!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 05:10:12 PM

You have described my situation PERFECTLY!!! Although, she doesn't have too big an issue with the review binging, I need to show my wife this comment to remind her I'm not an anomaly haha!

sorry to say I don't know.  They are a Scottish based company so I don't know if they have much of a market outside of Europe.

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 05:15:28 PM

sorry to say I don't know.  They are a Scottish based company so I don't know if they have much of a market outside of Europe.
That is unfortunate. Looks like great gear.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:03 PM
Had a scan of their site and it looks like they don't have a US distributor. http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/content/38-international-distributors

:-\

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 07:57:07 PM

Had a scan of their site and it looks like they don't have a US distributor. http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/content/38-international-distributors

:-\
:-/ indeed. I suppose I could always try and buy from the UK site if it ever became necessary haha  ;)

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 08:27:41 PM
Backpack is really the only 'nice' gear I've got, and even then, by modern standards...
I've got an old Dana external frame pack (90l?), weighs 8lbs empty :D thankfully I don't have much heavy stuff to put in it, I just like to be able to bring a blanket.

Typical camping list for me (1-2 night)

North face surge, 33l backpack
Cheap hammock
550 cord and tarp
Food and drink
Thin blue foam sleeping pad (1/2") (if it's cold)
Fleece sleeping bag (literally a thin fleece blanket that has a zipper so it's a 'bag', about 10" long, 5-6" dia.)
Change of clothes
Little led lantern
Flashlight or 2
Lighter, knife, multitool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68