Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's see your monoculars

magentus · 155 · 19787

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Let's see your monoculars
Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 06:12:01 PM
Finally a decent pic....
view 2.JPG
* view 2.JPG (Filesize: 122.47 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 06:13:53 PM
Yes, Manfrotto with Novoflex MagicBall head.
The Canons are great optically, sharp to the edge (which my Zeiss isn't) and with wide AFOV. So it is good as any binocular and better than most without IS (I only can imagine what the L glass will be. Their price is almost equal but 18x50 beats 10x42 when steady, no matter what glass).
But even with IS the tripod helps because IS equalizes the small movements, such as hand tremor less than 0.8 degrees if I remember right. Bigger amplitude movements are there and a tripod can eliminate them. The tremor from focusing is minimal with the Manfrotto (I use it for greater load and magnifications) and it is less than 0.8 degrees, so the IS can work that out.
Of course most if the time I use them unmounted.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:32 PM
Your binoculars lit up a flame in me. Particularly those Nikons (the 70s) and the Leicas. Although I'm fully covered with my 3 well thought and carefully selected pairs I catch myself looking at specifications, stores and classifieds. Help!
I can't blame you only. Spring came and shallows fly like Spitfires hunting Bf 109s all over Piraeus skies. Among them the seagulls fly calmly like bombers. Pigeons mate and sparrows play their year long survival games. The sea is full of life day and night, from huge cargo boats and liners to sailboats, yaghts and fishing vessels. Every Saturday we are expecting fireworks. And the skies are clear (but not tonight). If there are a thousand ways to experience and see all that, I would like to try them all!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 09:26:31 PM
You really have a beautiful view off your deck and a wonderful way of expressing yourself.  :2tu:

Those Nikon 10X70's are amazing bins. For night skies, the Astroluxe are better on the edges due to the additional flat field element but these HP IF's do not disappoint. Daytime use is amazing as well.... crisp, with superb depth to the views...a joy. I wish you could see the view through them.

I had some (can't remember the brand) 11X80's before these and was disappointed, sent them back...too big, center focus, not water proof and just an average unimpressive daytime view.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 03:41:39 PM
Can anyone shed any light on the brand of my monocular from this pic please?
monocular.jpg
* monocular.jpg (Filesize: 45.11 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 04:11:38 PM
Due to the lettering I assume its Russian, if you google "msp 7x25" you will find it (I think) sadly the site is in Polish, so all I can read is USSR :P

Dummy me, its of course MSP 7x25, google that and you will find info!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:12:44 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 04:23:01 PM
Due to the lettering I assume its Russian, if you google "msp 7x25" you will find it (I think) sadly the site is in Polish, so all I can read is USSR :P

The Manufacturer (the logo on top) reads ZOMZ (Read as 3OM3), probably, I think, maybe...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 04:25:21 PM

The Manufacturer (the logo on top) reads ZOMZ (Read as 3OM3), probably, I think, maybe...
Dude, you are awesome, with this information I found it: HERE

QED

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 04:35:02 PM

QED
:D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 04:40:31 PM

QED
:D
I knew learning Russian in St. Petersburg was not wasted time... only a wasted liver :P

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 05:00:09 PM
Thanks - That's the one - you are brilliant!  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 05:11:40 PM
I should get a google-fu black-belt merit badge for this :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 12:01:55 AM
The 3 leica's I have
I don't intend to make such a collection, in fact I don't need another binocular or monocular. But, you know, it is like SAKs. Not needing one doesn't mean that you don't want one. There are three possibilities.
1. Another Canon IS, preferably the 10x42L but since I find the regular glass perfect at 18x, the 12x36 or even 10x30 might be good for me.
2. A classic porro 10x50. This could be strictly astronomical and since I wouldn't find a Fujinon FMT or Nikon SE in Greece and uswd with shipping (if I find one) it would cost me over 600€ without being able to test collimation and such, I think that a BA8 with big prisms and individual focus would be nice. But if I get the 1. I could skip that, handheld it would be better than 2.
3. A smaller all around binocular. That's why I'm asking you. The best smaller pair is the Zeiss Conquest HT 8x32, according to ALL reviews. I own already a Zeiss Terra 8x42 so I am thinking if I should check the 10x32. I see your Leicas, 7x42 and 10x32. How is to go for 10x at 3mm exit pupil? Wouldn't the Canon 10x30 be better with the IS? The Conquest 8x32 has 8 degrees FOV. That's a nice widefield, I could use that. I could complement the powerful 18x50 with a wider and lighter bino, or rotate it with my Pentax-Papilio 6,5x21 or take it when hiking or biking (I used the Terra like that last year, but during daytime a 32 would be equal and takes up less space and the Conquest is better than the Terra and much better than the Papilio. So, how did you use your two Leicas? How do you decide which one to take with you?
I'm not asking at BirdForum because they will suggest to buy a Victory and a Swarovision and a Trinovid, test them and keep the best of them. If I could do that I could buy a car instead. No, it will be probably a Conquest, but 8x32 or 10x32?
Opinion?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 06:58:01 PM
No reply, so I went for the Canons 12x36. Now I have to wait for these also.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: May 23, 2015, 02:15:47 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't see this earlier. The Canons are a fine choice I'm sure!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #45 on: May 25, 2015, 08:24:56 PM
A family photo.

Canon 18x50 IS UD AW 3.7* Porro II
Canon 12x36 II IS 5* Porro II
Zeiss Terra 8x42 7.1* ED Schmidt Pechan DCF
Asahi Pentax Type 561 8x30 7.5* ZCF
Pentax Papilio 6,5x21 7.5* UCF

Next will be the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD, or the Terra 8x32ED, according to financial situation.
Hopefully I'll get a Fujinon FMT-SX or Nikon SE someday. If not, the Canons will do.

I had the 12x36 for the weekend on the boat to and from Syros island. Magic! Once I feared a silver seagull would bite me and I bent instictivelly, just to realise that he was over 15 meters away.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:28:50 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #46 on: May 25, 2015, 10:48:01 PM
And a little OCD.

x axis: magnifications, 2x to 20x
y axis: exit pupils, 2mm to 7mm
data: apertures
vertical zone: handheld use limit, magnification
horizontal zone: handheld use limit, weight/ size
Lower left quadrant: easier handheld use.
Other quadrants: mounting preferable to mandatory
Oval areas: binoculars of typical uses

Purpose: to help me choose future binoculars. It's easily seen that I am covered in general uses but I don't have pure opera and astronomy pairs.

You can use the graph too. Try to stay inside a particular oval area and project on the x and y axis the suitable magnification and aperture. Notice that areas cover certain exit pupils, according to use.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 03:47:17 PM
No reply, so I went for the Canons 12x36. Now I have to wait for these also.

Sorry kkokkolis, I've only just seen your post....Doh!! :twak: I don't get much free time at the minute.
I note I'm late for the party. But I'll give my answer to your question.
8x32 or 10x32?? If I'm honest, I sometimes wish I'd gone for the 8x32 simply because as you rightly say the 3.2mm exit pupil on the 10x32's is a little small when light levels begin to fall. But, and it's a BIG "BUT" I'm comparing these with the 7x42's which are quite simply outstanding, delivering a fantastically bright image with enormous depth of field and a wide field of view. But if I could still keep my 7x42's then I'd definately still buy the 10x32's again. If it had to be just the one pair I'd settle for the 8x32's Trinovids.

But then again, I might switch and go for the venerable Nikon 8x32 SE with their superlative optics. Supposedly "The" finest glass available :drool: if you can live with old fashioned Porro's that is. I've read that the Porro design actually gives better 3D views due to the wider spacing of the lens barrels when compared to the modern Roofprism.

I used the 10x32's a few weeks ago. The lenses and coatings and optic alignment really do come into their own at dusk. The ability to see deep into the shadows at twilight is incredible. But still not as good as the 7x42's.

I think the Canon IS line is amazing - hopefully someday I'll join the club!!
But my biggest worry is that I imagine their  sheer complexity will mean that they may not be as robust as the Trinovids.  It's the main reason I invested in them.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:50:12 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #48 on: May 27, 2015, 08:48:48 PM
It's never too  late. I'm still interested. In fact, after buying the Canon 12x36 IS and using it during my trip to Syros (wonderful  experience) I felt how nice it is to have always a pair with you. That's one of the main benefits of biinoculars over telescopes, portability. But, although the Canon is small it is a bit heavy and wide as a Porro. Also it isn't sealed and the electronics make it look vulnerable.

I EDC the Pentax Papilio for almost  a year and use them for everything. They have no competitor in short focus but they are just 21mm and far from Alphas. Their magnification is low and they show glare more than any other binocular I own. They are sharp to the edge (really) but they do  that with orthoscopic eyepieces (Pentax Orthoscopics are almost as famous as the Zeiss Abbe ones) which are narrow, something irrelevant for microscopy  but  for macroscopy they feel  like tunnel vision.

The Zeiss Terra are very good and I can carry them for trips but  they are far from EDC. So I think I could buy a 30mm. My Pentax 561 are of old technology with poor  eye relief and wide. I wouldn't get Porros for EDC, even if  they would be the Nikons SE, because their shape makes it difficult  to fit them in a bag and usually  they arent sealed. I used the Terra under rain yesterday, something you shouldn't do with Porros.

So it is a 32mm and as  you like Leica I like Zeiss (I would like Leica of course if I could have tried one, that's sure).
8x is easier to use, steadier and brighter, at 4mm exit pupil.
But then another 8x? I have 3.
10x would  give me more magnification options and the 10x32 would feel different than the 8x42.
But then another 3mm exit pupil? I have 3 (two are IS and 1 is low magnification).

Then it should be Terra or make the move to Conquest at double the price? I like to find the best value and as Terra was equal to the 2800$ Nikon EDG according to Cornell Lab Review of 2013, the  Conquest was equal or  better to any of the Alphas which cost 2-3 times more. Look at the graph and the top picks.

Once I say let's  take the Terra and done with it (but 8x or  10x?) and afterwards I say that when you get the best you only cry once for your money and there's no remorse afterwards. But I can't spend 800-900 euros and think that I should have bought the 10x instead of the 8x or vice versa.
Afterall, many of my telescope eyepieces cost as much as the Terra or even more (and the Terra has two very nice eyepieces itself, and let's don't forget the objectives and focuser etc) and one costs as much as the Conquest (the Ethos). I paid for them but I use now my binoculars much more than any of my eyepieces. It's a few times each year against every day. Why not spend more?  :ahhh
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:53:46 PM by kkokkolis »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 10:11:03 PM
Whenever we go on holidays or out for the day, my GOTO pair is the humble Helios Mistral 8x32 that I picked up of ebay several years ago for £40.

Of course they are not in Leica or Zeiss territory, but they are modern, small, light, waterproof, nitrogen purged, Bak 4,  phase coated roofprisms. In short they offer a very sensible option. If I lose them or my son drops them or whatever it doesn't matter. And because of that I seem to use them all the time.
Like others have posted the higher you go with optics you come across the "diminishing returns" theory.

Leica and Zeiss are fabulous - no mistake about it. Just like Ferrari and Lamborghini are. But they'd be next to useless as a daily commute.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:12:55 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #50 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:16 PM
The Zeiss Terra is in the third segment of binoculars hierarchy. Relatively cheap but still with Zeiss optics. That's why I go back and forth between Terra and Conquest. It's double the cost but maybe just 10% benefit.
Look at the curve in the Cornell review. It goes upwards fast and then it has a plateau. At 400 you get the best value, twice as good as the 100 and equal to 10% worse than the 1500-2500. That's why Monarchs and Terras are the best sellers (according to Eagle Optics sales).

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:56 PM
The Zeiss Terra is in the third segment of binoculars hierarchy. Relatively cheap but still with Zeiss optics. That's why I go back and forth between Terra and Conquest. It's double the cost but maybe just 10% benefit.
Look at the curve in the Cornell review. It goes upwards fast and then it has a plateau. At 400 you get the best value, twice as good as the 100 and equal to 10% worse than the 1500-2500. That's why Monarchs and Terras are the best sellers (according to Eagle Optics sales).

Just curious, does that review factor in build quality/materials?  I like instruments which last, that are overbuilt to weather life's little mishaps like bouncing around in a jeep or getting caught a thunderstorm. I'm willing to pay extra for waterproof/milspec binos. My immediate/extended family and friends have had tons of lesser bins and marvel at the quality of mine...they also nearly faint when they find out the price of them.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:36 AM
Yes, they consider build quality. Zeiss and Leica are of the best quality always, no matter what product they produce.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: May 31, 2015, 11:51:52 PM
Picked up this little guy for a few bucks.  Not high quality but since this thread I had to have one.  Now you guys got me looking at stuff I really didnt think I needed  :whistle:

IMG_8040.jpg
* IMG_8040.jpg (Filesize: 185.25 KB)
IMG_8041.jpg
* IMG_8041.jpg (Filesize: 192.65 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #54 on: June 01, 2015, 12:56:38 AM
Is it usable? My worst buy was a pair of Vivitar "binoculars" from a New York Super Market. It was the Sukhot holiday and Adorama was closed but I had to buy something. They had them for 9$ . How silly. A good toy for children would cost 50€ at the time in Greece, how could they make binoculars for 9$? But I said "what's 9$? and I made my worst buy of any kind ever. I should have bought 9 hotdogs (which had Greek sausages by the way, Nikas brand!).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:58:41 AM by kkokkolis »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: June 01, 2015, 01:41:14 AM
Yes, they consider build quality. Zeiss and Leica are of the best quality always, no matter what product they produce.

I agree. I used Zeiss/Leitz photo gear for many years and still have my some of my Nikon/Leica stuff. Nikon makes superlative products too. Tough stuff.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: June 01, 2015, 01:59:42 AM
@ Kkokkolis

They are usable for a couple hundred feet which is decent for my bad eyesight.  I am studying this thread however with great interest.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: June 01, 2015, 02:47:34 AM
@ Kkokkolis

They are usable for a couple hundred feet which is decent for my bad eyesight.  I am studying this thread however with great interest.

Hey, it's Marlboro branded so you can pair it with a Marley SAK!!!  8)  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 08:40:08 PM
New binocular, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42

It's upside down, silly iPhone!

Zeiss Terra ED & Conquest HD 8x42.jpg
* Zeiss Terra ED & Conquest HD 8x42.jpg (Filesize: 50.8 KB)
Terrestrial optics.jpg
* Terrestrial optics.jpg (Filesize: 47.77 KB)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:42:52 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 09:26:23 PM
Wow!!! Great glass!!! Congrats  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds