Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's see your monoculars

magentus · 155 · 19966

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Let's see your monoculars
Reply #60 on: September 06, 2015, 11:10:43 PM
Wow, that's freaky, I just found mine today so I put it in my bag and then this subject pops up!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 09:46:24 PM
Reposting for OCD relief (pics were upside down).

The Zeiss Conquest is a great binocular. I would quantify it as 20% better than the Terra (others exagerate) but it costs 2-3 times more (in Europe 2.2x and in the US up to 3x).

I like the different specifications Tosh has with his Leicas, 7x42 and 10x32. It isn't easy to sell my Terra in Greece, so I think I'm going to keep it for a guest binocular and buy another Terra (or Conquest, according to funds), 8x32 or 10x32.

Maybe it's because I had to year eyeglasses since 12 years old and even with those things are a bit unfocused, I like optics a lot. I zoom and focus and feel I have a superpower of vision. And since my 20+ years old Zeiss eyeglasses are the only  ones I never broke  (I broke a lot of pairs  playing basketball and handball, even one in volleyball, and that made me defensive in sports) and their coatings are still like new, so I have a sweet spot for Zeiss.

The second pic is before the Conquest, during summer when I  tested my terrestrial optics for resolution with an USAF 1951 target. The higher the magnification, the better the resolution. Conguest has a hair of  better resolution than the Terra, but it has less colour and other aberrations.
Zeiss 8x42.jpg
* Zeiss 8x42.jpg (Filesize: 154.72 KB)
Terrestrial Optics.jpg
* Terrestrial Optics.jpg (Filesize: 157.65 KB)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:52:34 PM by kkokkolis »

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:43 PM
Initially, I had the distinct impression this thread was about MONoculars...

Alas! I was erring...   :facepalm:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #63 on: September 07, 2015, 11:48:49 PM
Are you sure you don't just see them double? What did you have at the pub?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #64 on: October 02, 2015, 05:41:00 PM
And another true monocular, which I like a lot for the prize and particularly the zoom function and corsair fushion, a KOMZ Zenika 8-24x40 from Russia. Bought for just 30 €.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #65 on: October 02, 2015, 06:13:24 PM

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #66 on: October 02, 2015, 09:16:28 PM
Everybody still takes his pieshare from mythology and history that originated on these soils and waters pfrsantos.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #67 on: October 03, 2015, 07:27:54 PM
I cleaned my 3T Zenica, found two caps from my surplus optics accessories box, and a cord to hang it from my neck or shoulder. Its optics have great geometry and color (after all it is a long focus achromat with simple - Kellner or Orthoscopic- eyepiece, a 40/400 f/10 with 50 and a moving element (a Smythe lens?) that acts as an up to x3 Barlow. But the simple coatings and old Soviet technology (according to serial number it was made during 1989 in Kazan, the same CCCP last year my MΠ2 was made, they are still made there by a company now named KOMZ) make it less sharp than my Zeiss and Canons, as I saw tonight on the Messier objects of Sagittarius and yesterday on Hyades and Pleiades.
But it is great for shipspotting.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:53:32 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #68 on: November 07, 2015, 11:13:18 AM
A new EDC Monocular, the Docter Analytik Jena 8x21 C, with +1, +2, +5 & +10 dioptres add on lenses for 8x/100cm, 8x/50cm, 10x/20cm & 20x 10cm telescopic loupe convertion.
This is a folding porro prism monocular invented by Zeiss and marketed since 1924 (!!!) as the Zeiss Turmon (with around 10 add on lenses up to 32x and a microscope stand). After the war Carl Zeiss Jena (the DDR Zeiss) continued, until it merged with Zeiss Optiks again anf the Jena plant was sold to Docter. He changed little and mainly the coatings which are modern. Result: a great monocular with sharpness and brightness comparable to the Zeiss, Leica, Vixen and Nikon 300€-400€ roof monoculars.
It was copied insanely, first by Russians and then by Chinese. The monocular that opened this thread is one of the Soviet copies. Urban legend has Stasi agents using it. It really fits inside the palm of your hand and stabilizes when you push the hanf on the eyebrow.

I also bought a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 ED which I EDC, I'll take a new pic of terrestrial optics anf I will update my EDC thread at a later time.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #69 on: November 07, 2015, 03:03:29 PM
Very cool!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #70 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:43 PM
I have one from SILVA, it must be a re-branded BRUNTON Echo Pocket Scope.

It's OK, in fact quite decent for the money, I could do with something better though.

This is another one of those threads that are just killing me! Carry on, please :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #71 on: November 07, 2015, 11:02:35 PM
This Brunton has an apparent field of view of 25 degrees, real soda straw. Similar Zeiss and Nikon monoculars have 40 degrees, the Docter and Minox and Leica 50. 40 is not bad, precious orthoscopics have so and Plossls have 50. But when you are used to the realm of Ethos (100), Naglers (82) or Delos (72) all monoculars feel claustrophobic. Each of these eyepieces weights 6 or more times the weight of the Docter and their size dwarfs it. And no monocular worths against a similar binocular. Binoculars are more stable, give a stereoscopic view, brain picks up the best from each eye and superimposes images. They also have a far greater selection. And most are around 60 degrees that look as if they were more because of binocular vision.
The reasons to use a monocular are size, portability, zooming (nightmare in binoculars) and simplicity. People with just one worthy eye might prefer them also.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #72 on: November 07, 2015, 11:33:00 PM
Great post mate :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: November 08, 2015, 12:56:59 AM
Here's a couple crappy pics of the one I picked up for like $6, it ain't the best but it helps you see further away and clear, lol.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #74 on: November 08, 2015, 12:23:11 PM
You won't accuse me for my natural envy of Tosh's panoramic optics picture, I'm a buff for such things and this is subconscious, I can't help it. So, after several attempts, I present here my (almost, I guess, at least I hope so) picture of my complete terrestrial/portable optics picture, excluding tripods, mounts, bigger telescopes, eyepieces and other accessories.

Front Row: My Fieldscope/Solar Scope/Rich Field Telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 66ED Petzval Refractor 66/400 f/6.1 with RDF and Baader Hyperion Zoom II 24-8mm (16.67x-50x)

Second Row, Center: My vintages: 1989 CCCP (KOM3) ΜΠ2 8x30 Porro Monocular, a classic Zeiss Soviet copy and my tourist monocular for decades, 1989  CCCP 3T Zenica 8-24x40 Telescopic Fieldscope, my pirate scope and Asahi Pentax Type 561 8x30, another classic Zeiss copy, this time from Japan.

Second Row, Flanks: My EDC binoculars: Nikon Monarch 7 ED 8x30 for a lightweight allaround capability on the left and Pentax Papilio 6,5x21, the close focus speSmurfpillst.

Third Row: The workhorses: Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42, my current workhorse and Zeiss Terra 8x42 ED, former workhorse and guest binocular

Fourth Row, Center: The EDC micros: The Analytik Jena Docter 8x21 C Folding Porro Monocular with +1, +2, +5 & +10 dioptres lenses (8x/100cm, 8x/50cm, 10x/20cm & 20x/10cm) and Belomo Triplet 10x21 loupe, MTO coin for reference

Fourth Row, Flanks: A borrowed Nikon Action CF 12x50 that is going to be replaced by some 10x (Canon IS 10x42 preferably) on the left and a beater Lidl Bresser 10x50

Fifth Row: The boulders: Canon 18x50 IS UD AW and Canon 12x36 II IS for astronomy and long range terrestrial use.

That's it. Enough with optics, I need some SAKs and Multitools healing experience now.
Terrestrial Optics 2015 MTO.jpg
* Terrestrial Optics 2015 MTO.jpg (Filesize: 438.14 KB)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:24:36 PM by kkokkolis »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: November 13, 2015, 06:39:37 PM
Wow!! Very nice :drool:

I hold you personally responsible for the 3 optics that have arrived over the past few weeks  :D

Couldn't resist the GreenKat 10x50 monocular
But neither did the gorgeous GreenKat Mini Refractor escape my attention.
Then yesterday at work I spotted a complete 1200mm / 80mm f15 Topic Refractor (Towa 339) including original wooden case and complete with everything since the day it was sold over 40yrs ago.... Yep...couldn't resist. Did the 120 mile 3hr round trip to collect it last night - arrived home at 10pm. Up this morning at 5am to get into work early to give me time to start my latest project.......

A  mobile telescope pier that I hope will take both telescope and binoculars.
Got home from work earlier and began cutting all the Steel. I hope to begin welding tomorrow.

Before you ask...No, I can't weld but I fully intend to have a good go! :drink:

Clear skies my friend   :cheers:
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 274.52 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 304.06 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 342.38 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 274.8 KB)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:36:01 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 13, 2015, 07:31:29 PM
Here's my mobile pier in its first stages....

Braked swivel castors will go under the steel channel. Lugs will be welded onto the brace bars ready for screw jacks to be made and fitted.
Also the main pier will be braced off the base.

I'm undecided on the Top section. Most simply use 2 steel plates seperated by 4 threaded bars to allow access to remove the scope mount. I've simply cut an additional piece the same width as the 120mm box section. I'm not convinced, so I'll weld up the base and work out the top when I get there.

Wish me luck!
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 447.22 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 322.21 KB)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:37:56 PM by tosh »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #77 on: November 13, 2015, 09:51:28 PM
Good luck!
Wouldn't a tubular pier have less vibrations?
That Towa must be a planet killer.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: November 13, 2015, 11:55:34 PM
Good luck!
Wouldn't a tubular pier have less vibrations?
That Towa must be a planet killer.

Why would that be?
I didn't have a choice - it was just scrap steel they were throwing at work - so I asked if I could have it.We do have some heavy steel tube, but there is little if any wastage. Like most companies today - stock is purchased with minimal wastage.

I'm starting to wonder now if the square box section will work or not. I considered filling it with sand to dampen any vibrations.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #79 on: November 14, 2015, 07:34:14 AM
Dry sand or lead pellets. Wait, it will be unliftable. Dry sand is OK.
They also use a kind of foam (polystyrene?) that hardens as a rock but is very lightweight.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:35:35 AM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #80 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:44 PM
You'll see two more incoming monoculars soon. Both are very interesting, the German is vintage and very flexible and the Japanese is promising.

I don't remember the last time I bought a SAK.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: November 20, 2015, 03:16:17 PM
You'll see two more incoming monoculars soon. Both are very interesting, the German is vintage and very flexible and the Japanese is promising.

I don't remember the last time I bought a SAK.

Looking forward to seeing these when they arrive. I'm like you, I haven't bought hardly any MT's or SAKs for the past few months.

My mobile pier is coming on......slowly  :facepalm:

After you mentioned the vibration issue I decided to brace the entire post. Plus add extra large screw jacks for stability as well as the castors when they arrive. The reason it's taking so long is partly due to my work place getting fed up with me constantly asking for more materials  :whistle:

Good new is I think I've now got all my steel bits. Just done a dry fit to check if there's anything glariously missing before I start welding it together.
I'm going to paint it Off White when it's finally completed.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 171.54 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #82 on: November 20, 2015, 05:21:46 PM
Now it looks firm like a Sumo wrestler.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #83 on: November 24, 2015, 02:38:54 PM
I received today my tiny original Arthur Siebert EMOscop!
The attached pic is from eBay but that's the one I bought pictured there. I'm going to take new pics soon.
The two other pics are from submin.com

For your understanding, I quote http://www.submin.com. Both Gerald from submin.com and Urlich from http://www.monocular.info/ helped me with my purchase of this special vintage optic (now discontinued and alive as a Haverhills Chinese copy).

EMO-OPTIK Arthur Seibert Emoskop

The Emoskop is a combined telescope, magnifier and microscope only 42mm long in a close fitting cylindrical leather case (in brown or black).

Arthur Seibert ( 1906- 1980) was Ernst Leitz lens designer from 1920 to 1947. In 1948 Seibert left Leitz and undertook the task of designing a subminiature lens for the Minox camera. Arthur Seibert was a great optics designer, his most famous designs were the five element Pentar lens of Minox II and the COMPLAN lens for Minox III/IIIs/B, and early Minox C. The Pentar and COMPLAN are still two of the sharpest subminiature lens-- in fact the sharpest of any commercial photographic lens”.

In 1951, Arthur Seibert formed his own optics company, EMO-OPTIK in Wetzlar, West Germany. Many EMO's products are masterpieces of optical design, for example:

Highly corrected EMO Wetzlar 5x Macromax loupe
Emoskop : this marvel is a telescope, a microscope and three magnifier in a pocket package only 50mm long. It is the optical equivalent of a Swiss Army knife.
Octoskop : A combination loupe with eight magnifications: 2x 4x 6x 10 x 14x 18x 20x 28 x .
An Emoskop in an all plastic construction has been made in China. Some Emoskops came with an accessory stand for use as a microscope.

The three parts are combined to give a telescope of 2.5x, magnifications of 5x, 10x,15x and a microscope of 25x and 30x.

The top and middle pieces (see photograph above) are combined to give an adjustable 2.5x telescope.

The middle piece is a 5x magnifier.

The bottom piece (far right) is a 10x magnifier.

Middle and bottom combine to give 15x magnification.

All three combine to give 25x microscope. By pulling the ocular out of the objective tube magnifications between 25x and 30x can be obtained. The ocular is itself a x5 magnifier when viewed through the tube.

When used as a microscope the working distance is 24mm from the object.

25x 42mm
30x 57mm
When used as a telescope 2.5x/teleloupe 3x

Infinity 34mm
30cm 50mm
When used as a Loupe

5x 25mm
10x 9mm
15x 32mm

Emoscop.jpg
* Emoscop.jpg (Filesize: 35.93 KB)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:54:23 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:06 PM
A really amazing instrument!!! :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: November 24, 2015, 03:28:37 PM
Love the the leather case!
JR

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #86 on: November 25, 2015, 04:15:06 PM
This is my Emoscop, with similar optics and MTO coin for reference. See how small it is? It is very sharp and capable for its size though. 3x for a monocular seems little but it isn't, since I use it for things I can see but I can't focus on in order to read letters on them. As a microscope or loupe on the other hand it is unbeatable. Apparent field of  view is restricted, about 30 degrees (it is Galillean after all) but true field of view is about 10 degrees, so you  can see 10 degrees with your central vision (high resolution) and it cuts all  peripheral vision, but you have the other eye for that, if you keep it open. And all that from an optic the size of a thimble, designed from an man who worked for  Leitz (Leica) and Minox (the spy cameras of the vintage espionage films) and made in Wetzlar, Germany.
My case specimen is made from black leather, with the patina of  time but still functional and adorable.

Belomo triplet  loupe and Docter monocular are designed by Zeiss, perhaps in the same city of optics, Wetzlar, but built in former Zeiss factories in Jena and Minsk. Belomo still makes lenses for Zeiss microscopes, if  that says something. The best part is that these optics, because of their size, can be EDCed and cost much less than standard apperture optics from the same manufacturers. Emoscop has an aperture of 18mm as a monocular (standard sizes are 16-21mm) and 13mm as a microscop. Used with a gigher magnification loupe it provides more microscopic magnification. So a 20x loupe would give 50x-60x. But my experience says, 5x for nature, 10x for gems, 15-30x for artifacts (money, stamps etc). It covers  them all!
Emoscop.jpg
* Emoscop.jpg (Filesize: 403.96 KB)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:28:48 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 09:56:43 PM

This is the Opticron Gallery Scope 8x20.
It is bigger than the Docter and close to its optical quality, with just a little more field if view and eye relief. What's nice with that scope is its extreme close focus without the need for an additional lens. It goes down to 30cm. There is an additional 3x lens though, integrated to a transparent skirt that converts it to a 24x field microscope. Overall I find the Docter more charming but this could be a beater scope (not that it is a cheap one) that can be used faster (thus without a case, although it came with a case. Even myself I find EDCing 3 monoculars (and a binocular) a little over the top, so I have to choose which one would be more useful.
The fact is that none of these has the great eye relief and ease of use of the Zeiss 6x18 a friend has. All three together cost less than the Zeiss.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:33 PM
Gosh KK, you have really superlative optics my friend!!!  :cheers: The vintage stuff is so awesome!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:19 PM
I like optics. I could say that according to a hypothetical Brechtian Glaskauf, optics are not just glass. They give the man what wings or snorkels give, a superhuman power to exceed his limits.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%