Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's see your monoculars

magentus · 155 · 20044

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Let's see your monoculars
Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 11:14:26 PM
This is my Emoscop, with similar optics and MTO coin for reference. See how small it is? It is very sharp and capable for its size though. 3x for a monocular seems little but it isn't, since I use it for things I can see but I can't focus on in order to read letters on them. As a microscope or loupe on the other hand it is unbeatable. Apparent field of  view is restricted, about 30 degrees (it is Galillean after all) but true field of view is about 10 degrees, so you  can see 10 degrees with your central vision (high resolution) and it cuts all  peripheral vision, but you have the other eye for that, if you keep it open. And all that from an optic the size of a thimble, designed from an man who worked for  Leitz (Leica) and Minox (the spy cameras of the vintage espionage films) and made in Wetzlar, Germany.
My case specimen is made from black leather, with the patina of  time but still functional and adorable.

Hmmm, when I go on MTo I expect to be tempted by multtools, but now I have just purchased an (I think) original Emoskop "EMO Seibert Wetzlar" (as if I didn't know already, MTo and eBay is a dangerous combination  :facepalm:  ), so I guess I'll see what I think of it when it arrives from the US  :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:59:17 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #91 on: December 05, 2015, 05:31:08 AM
It is an optical multitool. You can check your knives condition with that.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:56 AM
Congratulations kkokkolis, that opticron is lovely. I think it's the same model as mine - I can't check because all mine are back in the loft......my wardrobe is full...........of multi tools  :facepalm:

But I'm pretty certain that when I received mine (I'm sure it was this model  :think: ) the "View" wasn't quite right. So decided to remove the whole optical train and clean them  :ahhh
It was then that I noticed two convex lenses facing each other. I remembered a little about optical light paths through convex and concave lenses. So decided to try a different sequence.

After reassembly I peered through and was simply blown away by the detail. Mine has a ridiculous short focus and the clarity....so sharp it almost a cuts your eyeballs.

Without a doubt optics are just as adictive as MT's in my view.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #93 on: December 06, 2015, 11:07:39 AM
According to your pics it is the same. I also received the same brown pouch with it.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #94 on: January 06, 2016, 08:18:02 AM

A gentleman's choice, a real alpha, Leica Ultravid 8x20.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #95 on: January 06, 2016, 06:53:26 PM
So I would love to get a monocular. What is a good model that will not break the bank.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #96 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:17 PM
What's your budget and operational requirements?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #97 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:19 PM
What's your budget and operational requirements?

200 or less US Dollars. Will use it to spot man sized targets out to about 600 meters.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #98 on: January 06, 2016, 10:44:13 PM
Then a 8x20 will work. Minox Macroscope 8x25, Vixen/Opticron 8x20 and Docter 8x21 C, all cost 125-165€ and maybe less in the states. The Docter, although the cheapest, it's also made in Germany and served during two World Wars and a Cold War (they say Sasi agents used it, it is so conceivable!).

None is waterproof. If you need waterproofness then a Nautical model (Bresser, Celestron, Omegon, Minox) 7 or 8x42. They are bigger and contain a compass.

But binoculars are better because they give the perception of depth. For general military use 8x30s have been used for a century. Bigger models are used by artillery, navy etc, but a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 ED would be your best friend. Waterproof and armored amd can be used with glasses, in contrast with all under 200 monoculars.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #99 on: January 06, 2016, 11:53:48 PM
Yeah they have to be waterproof.

The reason I thought a mono would be good is because I have issues with two lenses in binos lining up so as to make one clear picture.

Could be an operator issue I guess.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #100 on: January 07, 2016, 09:30:55 AM
Then you will need a monocular like this: http://www.optcorp.com/celestron-8x42-cavalry-monocular.html

It is made for hunting and military use, waterproof and armored, with good night performance.

Why is it so much cheaper than the smaller 8x20s? Because it is Chinese (most of the others are German or Japanese) and of inferior optical quality. But that doesn't bother a hunter or a soldier, since he is going to use the sweet spot of the binocular (the center 50%) where it will perform closely to much more expensive optics (most of the differences are at the edges).

It might be that you can't align the binocular images because you never tried a good binocular. Cheap binoculars are usually miscolimated. Another possibility is that you didn't adjust properly the interpupillary distance.

Among the best binoculars for military use are considered these: http://www.astroshop.eu/docter-binoculars-7x40-b/p,11637

Very expensive and an old design, but they are considered indestructible.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #101 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:00 PM
I am sure I did not adjust the interpupilary distance seeing as I do not know what it is.

I suppose the binos could have been cheap. They are whatever the Army issues out. I have a pair around here somewhere I will take a picture of.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #102 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:05 PM
I am sure I did not adjust the interpupilary distance seeing as I do not know what it is.

I suppose the binos could have been cheap. They are whatever the Army issues out. I have a pair around here somewhere I will take a picture of.

They used to issue great ones...Steiners.
These are the newer style M-22's
Steiners.JPG
* Steiners.JPG (Filesize: 63.53 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #103 on: January 07, 2016, 03:28:53 PM

Used them many times.

I am going to need them back SG. As it turns out I am the US Army's Rep in charge of getting old stuff back.

You have my address.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #104 on: January 07, 2016, 03:43:16 PM

Used them many times.

I am going to need them back SG. As it turns out I am the US Army's Rep in charge of getting old stuff back.

You have my address.

:rofl:  I think Fujinon makes an M22 for y'all now as well.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/218724/hampton-roads-virginia-hunting-for-sale--m22-fujinon-sniper-binoculars-7x50
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #105 on: January 07, 2016, 09:49:57 PM

Used them many times.

You have my address.

:rofl:  I think Fujinon makes an M22 for y'all now as well.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/218724/hampton-roads-virginia-hunting-for-sale--m22-fujinon-sniper-binoculars-7x50

Yep. We actually have both these and the older green ones still.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #106 on: February 11, 2016, 09:01:22 PM
Used mine for the first time today,, my wife got transferred to a diff room in the hospital last night so when I went in to see her today the view was amazing from the 4th floor, but I didn't know what this one building was off in the distance and I couldn't read what the sign said, so, I had my pack on me, and I took out my cheap monocular to check it out, focused on in to find out its a rehab! But hey they work!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: February 16, 2016, 09:40:27 AM
I know I'll be sorry I asked, but what's the use of a monocular?

Or at least, why a monocular?

I have a cheap binoculars that I've use perhaps 3 times, used one of those big game scopes for the first time last year, looking at Oryx  and other game out on the plain from camp was great fun..............but the prices are scary.....

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 01:48:28 PM
I know I'll be sorry I asked, but what's the use of a monocular?

Or at least, why a monocular?

I have a cheap binoculars that I've use perhaps 3 times, used one of those big game scopes for the first time last year, looking at Oryx  and other game out on the plain from camp was great fun..............but the prices are scary.....
Well in my case it's half the size and tucks away nice.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: February 16, 2016, 02:11:45 PM
So just a minimalist binocular?  :rofl:

I've never seen one used locally so I'm intrigued,  have seen them for sale so I assume people do use them.

Yup yup, the dangers of MTO.......all it takes is pretty little thing in a leather case and me wants my Precious  :ahhh

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: February 16, 2016, 04:32:01 PM
So just a minimalist binocular?  :rofl:

I've never seen one used locally so I'm intrigued,  have seen them for sale so I assume people do use them.

Yup yup, the dangers of MTO.......all it takes is pretty little thing in a leather case and me wants my Precious  :ahhh
Yes, just cut in half.. It does all the same just only one eye besides two. And yes very dangerous on the wallet! lol..
JR

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #111 on: February 16, 2016, 10:51:07 PM
Did we ever narrow down a good model of monocular for me that don't cost to much?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #112 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:59 AM
Minox Macroscope 8x25, Vixen/Opticron 8x20 and Docter 8x21 C, all cost 125-165€

These are the best affordable monoculars with functionality. The Leica 8x20 and Zeiss 6x18 are better but they are very expensive and the Docter is really close.

There are cheaper chinese options but they have poor roof prisms and they lack eye relief. If you want to try one and you have big cargo pants, try this: https://www.optcorp.com/celestron-8x42-cavalry-monocular.html

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #113 on: March 04, 2016, 04:36:37 AM
Awesome, thanks.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #114 on: March 04, 2016, 05:32:21 PM
I picked this up years ago at a second hand shop

Don't know anything about it other than it was made in Japan. I haven't used it much, but it is fun to watch wildlife from a distance on occasion.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

at Offline Daark

Reply #115 on: November 27, 2016, 01:38:45 AM
Thought I'll show some of mine too, as I just made new pictures of them today.

KOMZ Monoculars (8x30, 10x40 and 12x45)

KOMZ BPZ5 8x30 (it should actually be a BPO but it seems they do not take their designations too seriously..)

KOMZ BPO s 7x30 (B7x30) old and new version

Chinese 62-8WYJ - 8x30

Swarovski 6x30 Habicht

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #116 on: November 27, 2016, 01:50:54 AM
Well it is a monocular, limited uses though.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: December 02, 2016, 10:38:17 PM
Here's mine, a 8x20 Zenith Trilux 6.5° With extra short focus. I got it from my father who couldn't seem to find any use for it. It feels really nice and all of that but the focus part makes it hard to find a real use for it, it seems to be in the 20 cm to 10 m range.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #118 on: December 25, 2016, 05:06:19 PM
42, this is a GalleryScope, it should focus in eternity also. Doesn't it?
Daark, excellent collection. How old is the Habicht? I see you like classic Zeiss type porros.

Today, I made transparent stands for my Emoscop and Docter. I used a small disometric cup, a 100ml bottle of VG and a ln Urobox. The Emoscop is made to focus on the table, perfect for flat things like stamps. The Docter is telescopic and focusable. With 5 diopters (10x) I focus under the screen on my mineral collection. With 10 diopters (20x) I focus on the table. The Emoscop stand fits in my optics EDC box (where I also keep a Belomo 10x and my USB key).
The Opticron GalleryScope is inside my car's armrest room now. I use it to read roadsigns from distance (not while driving ofcourse).

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 05:09:11 PM by kkokkolis »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: December 25, 2016, 06:42:26 PM
42, this is a GalleryScope, it should focus in eternity also. Doesn't it?
Daark, excellent collection. How old is the Habicht? I see you like classic Zeiss type porros.

Today, I made transparent stands for my Emoscop and Docter. I used a small disometric cup, a 100ml bottle of VG and a ln Urobox. The Emoscop is made to focus on the table, perfect for flat things like stamps. The Docter is telescopic and focusable. With 5 diopters (10x) I focus under the screen on my mineral collection. With 10 diopters (20x) I focus on the table. The Emoscop stand fits in my optics EDC box (where I also keep a Belomo 10x and my USB key).
The Opticron GalleryScope is inside my car's armrest room now. I use it to read roadsigns from distance (not while driving ofcourse).

Maybe that is true, I find it hard to use with glasses so maybe I haven't tried it out enough.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:45:11 PM by Fortytwo »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD