Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which EDC item will you NEVER get?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
on: Today at 02:24:02 PM
The pic says it all..  :D :D

* IMG_5486.jpg (Filesize: 111.51 KB)

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Re: Which EDC item will you NEVER get?
Reply #1 on: Today at 03:07:22 PM
Ha! I’m a teacher and have used that meme for grades and such. Love it.

I never ended up getting a tread as it’s not practical for me. But I also didn’t get a Free P2 or P4 because the tool sets just didn’t have what I needed for the price when I could get a Swisstool. The ARC interests me just a tad too expensive. There’s several MTs I probably won’t ever own for those same reasons.

That said, I do know one thing I’ll probably never get is one of those fancy stand alone pry bars.  That would never get used by me.

To each their own.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: Today at 04:46:46 PM
Much of the EDC stuff we carry is more for feeling good than doing good.  Pry bars (as noted by GB), paracord bracelets, fire starting kits, redundant knives, SAKs and MTs, and so on.  I've carried some of this stuff too, and am not looking down on the practice of feeling good.  Rather, its quite a good thing to experience.  What gripes me just a little is when people pretend that they need a paracord bracelet or that it has any utility.

I follow a thread on a blade forum that will remain nameless, where people including myself post pics of their EDC knives.  Or alleged EDC knifes.  I would say that about 83% of the pics are jewelry knives or art knives, that clearly have never opened an Amazon box nor peeled an apple.  They cost $700 and don't have a fingerprint on them.  Its fine of course to have these kind of toys, but we should acknowledge again that they exist for the purpose of feeling good rather than having any actual utility.

These things are binkies and blankies for grown axe men.

Same thing with paracord bracelets and extra EDC firearm magazines.  Sure, its possible that one might use these things, just as its possible that wolverines might fly out of my toilet, but so far it has not happened even once in the history of mankind.  But we feel good when we carry them, so that's what we do.  Same thing with EDC-ing 5 different blades.  Its fun and it feels good, but its sort of  ridiculous from a practical perspective.  Great Grandpappy in WWII made it through the day just fine with a beat up traditional knife and a booger-encrusted handkerchief.  No $700 Damascus blade with mammoth scales required.

:ahhh  :rofl:

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #3 on: Today at 04:53:54 PM
ANY knife or tool that costs more than $150. That's the price point that I get worried using it and/or/losing it. I've also found that, for me, there is ZERO improvement in performance, sharpness, deployment or any other standard by which one might judge such a tool. I think the best thing they say is "Look! I'm rich/gullible enough to spend multiple hundreds of my hard earned dollars on an item I'll use once and put away"  Not my cup of tea, as they say :hatsoff:

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #4 on: Today at 04:56:28 PM
That Gerber multi with the cast handles, Suspension I think it’s called  :dwts: :td:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Today at 05:36:01 PM by Magic Bus »
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #5 on: Today at 06:21:54 PM
Pry bars - never needed them in any capacity during my day to day job.  If I needed one, I used a proper 3ft pry bar.

Knipex pliers - the ones on my Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool will do.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: Today at 06:34:54 PM
   Anyone who has taken the risk of terminal boredom to read anything I ever wrote here knows I am a minimalist.  Sort of.  I rarely carry a pen of any sort and will likely never buy a tactical pen.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD