Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DeWalt M16 Review

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
DeWalt M16 Review
on: April 21, 2015, 06:40:56 PM
Since Zoidberg asked me in my Reviewer Merit Badge Thread if I had any more recent reviews I figured it's only fair that I post some more.  Here is the first new one that will be posted on the Main Site shortly (eventually :P):

DeWalt M16

Like many manufacturers of “regular” tools, DeWalt has decided to enter the multitool market, largely following the same path as everyone else- find a manufacturer overseas, customize something they already produce a bit, slap your logo on it and sell it cheap on an end cap at some big box home improvement store.  DeWalt has a respected name in the power tool industry so I was curious to see how well their multitool line was.

The M16 is so named because it has 16 functions, and possibly also to elicit the sexy and serious mystique of the firearm of the same name.  That aside, the M16 won’t be mistaken for many other tools largely due to the blocky handles in a black and yellow design reminiscent of the DeWalt line of power tools.  This tool is a bit of a handful as a result and people with smaller hands (ie not “manly men” insert rolling eyes here) may not be comfortable with this particular model.

Not only is the M16 wide, but it is also quite short, which makes for some stubby tools inside.  This isn’t a big deal with tools like screwdrivers or bottle openers, but really limits the size of scissors, knife blade, saws and files, all of which benefit from extra length.

In one handle we find a stubby, partially serrated knife blade which locks open with a liner lock.  There is a small bit of play in the blade when locked open, but not enough to make it feel like the blade is going to fold in use.   The biggest drawback to it is that it is a bit stubby as mentioned above, and that the edge is partially serrated, which basically cuts the useable edge down to half of stubby.  It is still functional enough for most tasks though.

Rounding out the blade handle side is a can opener with screwdriver tip similar to those found on Victorinox and SOG tools, a bottle opener with screwdriver tip and a barely useful inch long file with an inch and a half ruler on the flip side.

Hiding in the other handle is a flathead slightly more robust than the one on the bottle opener, a folding lanyard ring, a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of scissors.  While many of the tools on this are quite stubby, the Phillips driver is actually quite lengthy in comparison to many multitool Phillips drivers which will be appreciated by anyone attempting to deal with recessed screws.   

It’s also noteworthy to mention that all of the handle tools are accessible without opening the tool which is handy.  Additionally, none of them lock open other than the blade, which can be a drawback for screwdriver usage, particularly on stubborn screws.  Also there appears to be a tool missing on the scissor handle between the scissors and Phillips driver.  Spacers have been placed in the space, but an additional tool could easily have been put in there.

Folding the handles out reveals the pliers which certainly do look nice, being painted black with portions ground off so the shiny metal offsets the black.  In addition to looking pretty, the pliers are sprung, meaning they open by themselves when you aren’t squeezing them.  Some people like that but I personally am not a fan.  The head itself is a standard multitool plier head, not quite blunt nosed, but not quite needle nosed but somewhere in between.  At the base of the jaws there are also wire cutters for all your wire cutting needs.

The bottom line with this tool is that it is decent enough for the light user- it makes a good tool for a weekend handyman that doesn’t need to spend the money on a serious tool, which flies in the face of the DeWalt name.  DeWalt power tools are heavy duty tools not usually associated with the cheap end of the spectrum, but that you see on a lot of job sites because they are built to be abused and keep working.  The M16 is not that kind of tool.  If you are a tradesman looking for a hard use tool that you can use hard and put away knowing it will be ready the next time you reach for it, get a Leatherman like the Core, Surge or SuperTool 300, a Victorinox SwissTool, or a SOG PowerLock because this DeWalt is not the DeWalt you are used to.

Pros:
•   Bright color makes it easy to find if you drop it
•   Phillips screwdriver has some serious reach
•   Inexpensive

Cons:
•   This is not the DeWalt you are looking for
•   Stubby tools
•   Non Locking screwdrivers

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: DeWalt M16 Review
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:34:09 PM
Seems the latest trend is for companies to make stuff outside of their traditional territory. Dewalt is invading Stanley by making hand tools (like sockets pliers etc.) and Stanley is making power tools, even though they are the same company.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:57:19 AM
Pics not in right order...  :kirky:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:54:21 AM
Nice review Grant!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:17:53 PM
Thanks!

It really bothers me when companies that produce quality items then lend their name to something cheap like this.  This is not as shoddy as some that you see (Smith & Wesson and Colt, I'm looking at you guys) but it still does not hold up to the quality of the actual brand and cheapens them overall.  To me, not only is your name cheapened by putting it on something like this, but you are also insulting your customers by selling them something like this. 

It is not a bad tool in it's own right though, but not a good fit for DeWalt quality.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:13 PM
Thanks!

It really bothers me when companies that produce quality items then lend their name to something cheap like this.  This is not as shoddy as some that you see (Smith & Wesson and Colt, I'm looking at you guys) but it still does not hold up to the quality of the actual brand and cheapens them overall.  To me, not only is your name cheapened by putting it on something like this, but you are also insulting your customers by selling them something like this. 

It is not a bad tool in it's own right though, but not a good fit for DeWalt quality.

Def

I totally agree.  They'd be better off paying Leatherman to make a Dewalt Edition Wave or something.  Or at least just a Wave with a Dewalt logo etched onto it somewhere. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:15:55 PM
Probably much better profit this way. They will sell more $30 tools with their name on it that they got for $5 than they will $70 tools that they got from Leatherman for $50.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 04:28:20 PM
Probably much better profit this way. They will sell more $30 tools with their name on it that they got for $5 than they will $70 tools that they got from Leatherman for $50.

Def

Very good point.   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69