Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Selector link

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
SAK Selector link
on: July 28, 2008, 02:50:35 PM
 Since there tends to be  a good bit of requests about specific SAK's and features, we're going to sticky a link to the SAK selector on Swiss Army Knights:

http://www.swissarmyknights.com/sak-selector
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:13:24 PM by enki_ck »
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: SAK Selector link
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:51:40 PM
Bloody good idea Bob :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:22 PM
if only i could get it work.no matter what i put in as my needs,it says"nope,nada"

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:32:22 PM
if only i could get it work.no matter what i put in as my needs,it says"nope,nada"
It'll only work if there's a sak with those tool's, try droping a couple of tool's and trying again mate :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:36:03 PM
i did it a couple times,went thru all spots and i didnt mark any 46585659 tools to it,just a few,and what,not a damn thing again.is there some hidden"show me the result"button there or is it suppose to automatically show the sak of my wet dreams somehow?

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:12 PM
i did it a couple times,went thru all spots and i didnt mark any 46585659 tools to it,just a few,and what,not a damn thing again.is there some hidden"show me the result"button there or is it suppose to automatically show the sak of my wet dreams somehow?
Hmm, pm me your tool list and I'll have a go for you later mate (got to clear off now) :)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 02:29:43 AM
Is there any liklihood of the glorious SAK Selector being updated with latest & greatest models?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:20 AM
I doubt it... the gentleman who originally built it has been MIA for some time.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:24:53 AM
Is there any liklihood of the glorious SAK Selector being updated with latest & greatest models?
There is however this sitr you can use...
http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=550&lang=E

Offline bquinlan

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 05:09:18 AM
I doubt it... the gentleman who originally built it has been MIA for some time.

Def

Actually, I'm still around, just a lot busier with other things than I used to be.

I do try to add new models when I run across them or when someone emails to let me know about them.  Please send me update info whenever you run across something.

At some point I intend to do a major rewrite.  I want to clean up the interface and make it practical for others to add and edit entries.

Also, if anyone wants a direct link you can just use http://sakselector.info/.

--Bob Q

Offline bquinlan

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 05:10:37 AM

Did you hit the "Select" button in the upper left?  That's what tells it to show you the results once you've checked a few boxes.

--Bob Q

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 03:10:58 PM
why does this selector say the Farmer is 93mm and every place else (like original sak site) say 91mm?

am I in the twilight zone?

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:19:42 PM
why does this selector say the Farmer is 93mm and every place else (like original sak site) say 91mm?

am I in the twilight zone?

The "91mm" alox SAKs (including the Farmer) are actually 93mm in length, despite Victorinox' claim that it's only 91mm.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 03:21:22 PM
Alox tools are actually 93mm in length, although so places lump them in with 91mm Cellidor models.

Alox models come as 58mm, 84mm and 93mm.
Cellidor as 58mm, 74mm, 84mm and 91mm

(In the Vic lineup)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:28:26 PM
thx but they can't say it's this when it's that!  >:(

like wood and 2 by 4's! they used to be that but not anymore 1-1/2 by 3-1/2 :rant:

so when I pay for a Farmer now, I'll just give them a percentage of what they ask! :D
(hands over 29 dollars) "no it's really 30 dollars!"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:31:04 PM by WhichDawg »

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:43:13 PM
thx but they can't say it's this when it's that!  >:(

like wood and 2 by 4's! they used to be that but not anymore 1-1/2 by 3-1/2 :rant:

so when I pay for a Farmer now, I'll just give them a percentage of what they ask! :D
(hands over 29 dollars) "no it's really 30 dollars!"
Doesn't 91 mm refer to the scales, not the knife itself?

tw Offline KTesh

• We4ishe2me pu3to1nghua4 bi3 yi1ngyu3 ge4ng na2n?
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 08:34:00 AM
Now if I could only stick the link to the 91mm Tools Evolution page somewhere that I could find it again quickly...   :whistle:
If you can't fix it with duct tape, a hammer, a screwdriver, bailing wire, zipties, or a Swiss Army Knife, it's broken and irreparable.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:49 PM
Now if I could only stick the link to the 91mm Tools Evolution page somewhere that I could find it again quickly...   :whistle:

Try Ctrl + D.  :P

Offline bquinlan

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 03:46:52 AM

enki_ck is right.  One of the advantages of the rather crude method I used when I built the tool is that everything is stored in the URL.  So if you bookmark a page you will always come back to that exact page.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:49:00 AM by bquinlan »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 06:57:03 PM
is it just me, or is the sak selector (both through SOSAK and the direct sakselector.info link) broken?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 07:06:46 PM
is it just me, or is the sak selector (both through SOSAK and the direct sakselector.info link) broken?

Hm, Whoey must be working on something.

You can use this link in the meantime. 

http://www.swissarmyknights.com/cgi-bin/sak_selector.cgi

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 07:42:04 PM
Awesome, thanks!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 12:58:08 PM
I am actually not currently working on it, but the original creator/maintainer decided to step away from the project, and he graciously passed the source files on to us. We are in the process of migrating the domain to our platform, so in the meantime please use the http://www.swissarmyknights.com/cgi-bin/sak_selector.cgi link.

We are hoping to do even more with it in the near future, including some much needed updating to the database.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 10:51:42 PM
Having thought I'd lost my vintage Black Climber :cry: I stumbled across the Selector while pondering what to replace it with.  After also finding SAKWik.com I realised the Selector was a bit out of date, so I snarfed  the 91mm and 84mm Victorinox layer / tool info from SAK Wiki into Excel to give me a more complete picture of possibilities.  Having done that I ought to be able to construct it into something that is easily loaded into the Selector so that Wiki and Selector are more consistent for those knives (the OCD part of me would also like to tidy up the 'flexibility' of tool descriptions on the Wiki, but that's another story...).

Does anyone have examples of what the Selector runs from so that I can prepare suitable updates, assuming there is a broader desire to update it  ??? ?

And since we all love a happy ending  :): I found the late-80s Climber that I feared was lost, but the whole saga of looking at the range in more detail that I have for 25+ years has left me thinking that I need an additional knife to fill a gap in my SAK capability anyway, so the above research is paying off  ;).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:53:44 PM by Little Tinker »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 05:41:14 PM
I'll address the sakselektor question when I'm a bit more awake. ;)

Shall we pick that up in the sticky-ed thread  :pok:?

I don't have the keys to the room where we keep the SAKselektor, and don't have the knowledge to do the coding either. ;) I did mention all the hard work you did to the folks who do and hopefully when Whoey finds more free time to do all this he'll be able to help you go forward with this. :salute:

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 09:08:31 PM
I don't have the keys to the room where we keep the SAKselektor, and don't have the knowledge to do the coding either. ;) I did mention all the hard work you did to the folks who do and hopefully when Whoey finds more free time to do all this he'll be able to help you go forward with this. :salute:

Cool.  I think it'd be nice to get it updated for the benefit of all - I effectively have my own private improved version at the mo  :o.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 01:56:32 PM
The current version (which we inherited from the sakselector creator) is a CGI script which pulls data from a CSV file. I have an XLS version of the CSV for updates, as it's a massive PITA to go back and forth due to the amount of data. We had hoped to rebuild it in PHP with a MYSQL database and some further sort of easier to update interface, but alas there's always 50 other things that need taking care of first. Updates would be great, the data in the file is pretty extensive with 120 options per SAK model with approximately 310 models included, with obviously some gaps in the data, and it's far out of date (it was never updated by us since we inherited it).

If you have some corrections/additions etc let me know and I'll make an effort to integrate them.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 12:15:59 AM
Sounds exciting for the Selector :dd:

:popcorn:

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 12:35:36 AM
The current version (which we inherited from the sakselector creator) is a CGI script which pulls data from a CSV file. I have an XLS version of the CSV for updates, as it's a massive PITA to go back and forth due to the amount of data. We had hoped to rebuild it in PHP with a MYSQL database and some further sort of easier to update interface, but alas there's always 50 other things that need taking care of first. Updates would be great, the data in the file is pretty extensive with 120 options per SAK model with approximately 310 models included, with obviously some gaps in the data, and it's far out of date (it was never updated by us since we inherited it).

If you have some corrections/additions etc let me know and I'll make an effort to integrate them.

If you're happy to send the files over I'll see if I can produce updated versions.  Or maybe provide a subset to show what is needed?  Alternatively, I can try and describe the changes in a way that you can apply.

Any reason the data files can't be on the Wiki so that everyone can at least propose changes, and some be given permission to edit?  Then copy / paste to selector app?

Would it benefit from putting the data into an Excel structure where VLOOKUP() and the like can be used to create a consistent data set, then a bit of VBA to squirt out refreshed CSV files to move to the web server? 

EDIT - Thinks / lightbulb: Which is pretty much what I have for the SAK Wiki tables we've been refining, so maybe it's just another output from that...  But we ought to have a shared database which can be maintained by multiple folk.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:39:03 AM by Little Tinker »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 05:01:16 PM
Some things are in motion, lets see how this goes, we may actually update the entire thing to be easier to edit/add new items.

So rather than get ahead of ourselves we'll see if this works out, then get into updating the data.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%