Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your latest watch

dks · 988 · 61885

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
What is your latest watch
on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:25 PM

I could not find such a thread and seeing my rekindled interest in watches I thought it may be worth starting one.

For over a decade I have only worn a watch in the sea and my DW290T has been very good for this purpose.

I wanted a solid watch with the necessary for me water resistance that looked more dressy/grown up than the DW290

I bough this new GA100 of eBay and it arrived today (I posted a link a few days ago)

I thought the blue looked unusual and the dials made it look dressy. I also had to have an antimagnetic watch (destroyed one a few years ago whilst doing research with MRI)

Nothing fancy, no atomic clock signal auto time (we do not get a signal here anyway and I can live with adjusting the watch once a year..) no solar charging (not impressed with them yet), has the time in various timezones which may be of some use.

The dials tend to hide a lot of the LCD figures and there is a lot of space on the watch which is not used at all or used for some little used/needed function (e.g. showing you that the stopwatch is running)

The glass is very reflective making it hard to photograph and the LED is not very bright.

I think the watch is designed to look discreet/tactical so the numbers, lines etc. are not very easy to see.

Toughness is a given.

A comparison picture

DW290

and "Casio"

Not too heavy. Here is a SS casio for weight comparison..

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: What is your latest watch
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:13 PM
Ana-digi display FTW! I must agree on reflective glass, the one on my Protrek 550 that, I assume, bears the same kind of glass as your GA100, projects a bright disk of light every time sunlight falls on it at the right angle, which I find annoying. The glass seems tough, however.

I like the colours on this one. Enjoy. :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:50:02 PM

Truly, my companion for life, my grandpa gave it to me. I told him what it was and he bought it on the spot

Sent from my iPhone using A box of monkeys on a treadmill and a quantum leap

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:07:33 AM
Great Grandpa!  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:50 AM
THAT is a nice watch :tu:

I love the blue accents. Definitely on my wish list :D
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:34:35 AM
Nice Wenger  :tu:

The watch I got was also available with red details but I thought that the blue one looked more dressy, if a watch this size can be considered dressy   :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:13:08 AM
Surprisingly cool aviator-style watch from Timex - $20 (because someone at one of the local stores screwed up with the pricing gun)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:38:08 AM
Nice  :tu:

It may sound weird to people across the Atlantic but I have never seriously heard of Timex until a couple of years ago.

I did hear the name a few times in some movies but because of its name I assumed that it was just a very cheap, joke watch. I mean who would name a watch tim-ex ?  (maybe they were trying to copy Rolex I thought)

We used to have Casios, Seiko, Citizen, Swatch etc, but I have not seen anybody with a Timex -  Thinking about it I still have not noticed anybody wearing one, but then I am not really into watch spotting.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:13:45 PM
Very little Timex to see here in Norway as well, but I think they're some of the best budget/bang for buck watches. I have one of their minimalist models as my go-to when I travel and want a really cheap watch.  :tu:

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:20 PM
I grew up a short walk away from a Timex (pronounced Time-X) factory in a  middle class suburb of Toronto, Ontario. I'm talking 35+ years ago now. My first watch, and probably the next 2 or 3, were all Timex. The ones my parents bought me were all tiny mechanical's. They had a white painted face with black markings and hands. No fancy luminescence with these watches. The case was a single layer chrome plated brass and the 'crystal' was domed glass that seemed to want to smack into everything. The watches were resistant to nothing, and anti-durable. The bands were black synthetic leather of some sort. They were almost as loud as a wall clock ticking away.

I was lucky to get a year out of one of these watches before I broke the crystal, out grew the band, or it seized up from having too much moisture in it. They always turned my wrist green once the chrome plating wore off. But they were less than $10, so it wasn't a hardship to get a new watch every year for my birthday. Timex watches were so prevalent, if you had a watch that wasn't a Timex, you stood out. A friend in school had family in Japan and they often sent gifts over. He had a Seiko watch, and the best fireworks...

And then came the first digital watches. I'll never forget the red LED displays that you had to press a button for them to illuminate. They were so dim you couldn't read them in sunlight. And they ate batteries like they were free and easy to change. Those were the best!
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 03:43:45 PM
I had a digital Timex as a kid and they are widely available here, you can find them in Omonoia Sq in the center of Athens if you come someday. I considered im the past a nice analog Timex with compass and tide meter, one of their most impressive models.
My latest is the Suunto Core as I already posted elsewhere. This watch is my EDC now and I think it will be for ever, since it has everything, it is light, looks dressy and I made it all black that goes with everything. I will wear my Protrek for swimming (I don't want salt on the Suunto) and the others occasionally but maybe rarely.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:46:41 PM by kkokkolis »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:31 PM
I got this, unusual for me, Casio G-Shock DWX-110M Extreme. (It was cheap as it was advertised for parts etc but it said it worked fine, which it seems to do so far)

It reminds me of starship troopers... (I am attaching some information from a Casio wiki)

This was introduced in 1999 and has a low temperature capable LCD (-20C)
The LCD is clear and unusual in that it appears to be made from thin shiny silver foil.
Bluish green light.

It works well. I gave it a clean and removed some paint stains it had. I used alcohol and the ultrasonic cleaner to clean it. It is supposed to have anew battery. Inside the glass there is a tiny piece of dirt or from a leaf that I may have to clean when I get the desire/courage to open it up. It is not blocking anything, so it can wait.

It has a shiny SS bezel protected with a rubber case.

Old style

Smaller than the GA100

DWX-110M-8T.jpg
* DWX-110M-8T.jpg (Filesize: 149.05 KB)

us Offline sawman

Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:40 PM
I got this, unusual for me, Casio G-Shock DWX-110M Extreme. (It was cheap as it was advertised for parts etc but it said it worked fine, which it seems to do so far)

(Image removed from quote.)

It reminds me of starship troopers... (I am attaching some information from a Casio wiki)

This was introduced in 1999 and has a low temperature capable LCD (-20C)
The LCD is clear and unusual in that it appears to be made from thin shiny silver foil.
Bluish green light.

It works well. I gave it a clean and removed some paint stains it had. I used alcohol and the ultrasonic cleaner to clean it. It is supposed to have anew battery. Inside the glass there is a tiny piece of dirt or from a leaf that I may have to clean when I get the desire/courage to open it up. It is not blocking anything, so it can wait.

It has a shiny SS bezel protected with a rubber case.

Old style

Smaller than the GA100

Never seen one before. I like it.
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:52:08 PM
there are a couple on ebay. They seem like something that would appeal more to the Japanese market.

When you change mode the digits disappear and slowly appear in parts, like a powerpoint feature. nice   :D

us Offline sawman

Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:57:08 PM
Maybe I'm a little partial because I'm such a big fan of CASIO. I've been wearing my Rangeman and nothing else since it was gifted to me a few weeks ago. I'm broke right now but if I weren't I have my eye on several different G's. I swear nobody makes them like CASIO...
SAW

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:59 PM
I used to be a Timex wearer but have converted to Casio. I have an F-91W and the thing has been bulletproof the last couple years i've had it..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 02:21:18 PM
About a week ago I took a chance on a low priced Timex Shock watch. As I mentioned previously I have zero experience with Timex. It was supposed to be used but I would describe it as new without tags as I have not found any signs of use on it.
Actual model: T5J411

200m WR, shock rating, unisex style.

It came with a free gift too  :D (Definitely happy with the seller)

Small case but actually as thick as a GShock

just for comparison, a light gshock

and the gift

It is a unisex model but the design of the case/strap makes it suitable for smaller wrists (I need the last notch).
It has the Timex strap securing system - clever.
Nice clear screen, as is the usual with Timex.

Also the short strap means that it will be nearly impossible for any adult male to wear it over a wetsuit when diving etc., something that needs to be considered. (I will write a bit regarding diving and pressures in the future)

Feels really solid, has a lot of functions, the whole operation feels weird to me as I am used to Casios but it is cheap. I would consider it a direct competitor for the Baby-G line.

us Offline sawman

Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 04:25:14 PM
I too went through a Timex phase when I learned the quality of materials just isn't used. Timex will take an inferiorly constructed watch, set it side by side to a CASIO and attempt to charge the same $$. I never could get over their high prices.

I also greatly dislike the designs Timex is using on their watches. They're just ugly.

I'd love to hear from someone who is a real fan of the Timex to hear your side :salute:
SAW

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 04:46:58 PM
I find them ugly too (and the same goes for most G Shock but not the majority of other Casios) but not this particular watch.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 06:36:03 PM
That looks complicated  :D

From my shopping research/reading the past few weeks I get the impression that you get more functions from a Timex than an equivalently priced Casio (the shock resistant models at least), their modes are considered more user friendly, their screens are brighter and clearer but they do not have the same "strength". According to the various forums, at least.

Some of their expedition models, with the leather straps, look nice.

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 02:46:29 PM
Well, I decided to blow a lot of cash in a very short time period
As we all know and practice in daily life, it's easier to ask for forgiveness, not permission

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 03:31:07 PM
 :drool:   the holy grail    :D

Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 01:41:04 AM
Best way to blow $12,348 in seconds FLAT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
who needs a car...  :D

Just say it is a precise tool for telling the time   :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:42:39 AM
I grew up a short walk away from a Timex (pronounced Time-X) factory in a  middle class suburb of Toronto, Ontario. I'm talking 35+ years ago now. My first watch, and probably the next 2 or 3, were all Timex. The ones my parents bought me were all tiny mechanical's. They had a white painted face with black markings and hands. No fancy luminescence with these watches. The case was a single layer chrome plated brass and the 'crystal' was domed glass that seemed to want to smack into everything. The watches were resistant to nothing, and anti-durable. The bands were black synthetic leather of some sort. They were almost as loud as a wall clock ticking away.

I was lucky to get a year out of one of these watches before I broke the crystal, out grew the band, or it seized up from having too much moisture in it. They always turned my wrist green once the chrome plating wore off. But they were less than $10, so it wasn't a hardship to get a new watch every year for my birthday. Timex watches were so prevalent, if you had a watch that wasn't a Timex, you stood out. A friend in school had family in Japan and they often sent gifts over. He had a Seiko watch, and the best fireworks...

And then came the first digital watches. I'll never forget the red LED displays that you had to press a button for them to illuminate. They were so dim you couldn't read them in sunlight. And they ate batteries like they were free and easy to change. Those were the best!

My wife grew up in a city that had a big Timex factory as well.  Almost everyone wore a Timex watch.  Some of them had even bought them. :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 09:49:06 AM

us Offline sawman

Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:27 PM
Beautiful Rolex :tu: :drool:
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 11:06:33 AM
I got and gifted a used Baby G-340

It does need a new battery and some cleaning but its cute.
IMG_20150506_142746_3.jpg
* IMG_20150506_142746_3.jpg (Filesize: 50.45 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 05:39:53 PM
I got a new Timex

Here are some comparison pictures
I liked the "Camel Trophy" style...

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 06:13:28 PM
Not mine, but it's the latest one I bought. Mother's Day gift for my wife.
11330362.jpg
* 11330362.jpg (Filesize: 26.74 KB)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%