Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your latest watch

dks · 988 · 61896

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: What is your latest watch
Reply #660 on: March 29, 2018, 07:06:53 PM
I like the look of your watch, LoopCutter!  :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
What is your latest watch
Reply #661 on: March 29, 2018, 07:25:27 PM
Ning!Thank you Steinar.
It has a thin (low) profile as well. Last I recall wearing it before getting the new battery was around Dec 1999.
I had bought a Citizen Eco Drive while on a Cruise vacation. 
The classics stay in style or keeping returning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #662 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:32 AM
I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!  :P

So much nice stuff in that picture! :ahhh
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #663 on: March 30, 2018, 12:50:42 PM
Thanks R, yes, lots of usefulness!  :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #664 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:46 AM
Ticino B-Uhr Type B powered by a Miyota 24j, 28.8kbps high beat caliber 9015 automatic with hand-wind and (proper) hacking . . .

This is a downsized homage to the German WWII Beobachtungsuhr (aka B-Uhr) with the Type B dial (versus the earlier Type A dial). A full-size one made to original spec at 55mm case diameter (without crown) and 24mm thick, with 65mm lug-to-lug length and 26mm lug width would be much too large for practical use. It was made for wearing over the sleeves of insulated flight suits. The full noun nomenclature for them was Navigationsgeraete Beobachtungsuhr. Literal translation: Navigation Device Observer Watch. That reveals what they were for. It's a very common misconception these were pilot's watches, including by those selling homages to them. They weren't. They were navigator's watches primarily for use by bomber navigators. To call it a watch is misleading. These were full-blown high precision chronometers, similar to a ship's deck watch (for the officer of the deck), hence their large size. The Germans used high precision railroad chronometer and deck watch grade pocket watch movements. The large size was much easier to adjust for high precision, then regulate for extreme accuracy. If anyone in the plane crew needed a chronometer, it was the navigator, who would time the flight plan legs and tell the pilot when to change course and what heading to use.

Examination of the dial shows the Type B leaves no doubt about the importance of minutes and seconds. It was designed to give them completely unambiguous clarity. For the bomber ranges and distances they were flying, precision with minutes and seconds was paramount to getting the plane over blacked out targets at night. Navigators would hack their watches to German radio time signal just before or after departure from their airfield. The size and shape of the crown allowed them to accomplish this while wearing their heavy, insulated flight gloves. These navigation chronometers were unit property. They were issued to the navigators from unit stores shortly before a mission and had to be turned back in to the supply personnel upon return from their mission.

The movement inside this homage is the Miyota caliber 9015 high beat automatic with (proper) hacking and hand-wind. Miyota's 9000 family is one of the very few truly new mechanical movements to emerge in the past several decades, and is a quantum leap from their 8000 family of extremely inexpensive mechanical movements designed for low budget watches. Miyota is the Japanese subsidiary of Citizen Watch Company. They make the watch movements for Citizen and sell a wide variety of movements to other watch companies, just as Seiko does with SII. It's a welcome alternative to the ETA 24xx family of movements as The Swatch Group started to pull back on quantities of movements those outside the Swatch Group could buy from ETA. Most watch movements, and the very direct derivatives of them, have been around since the 1950's and 1960's.

This is one of the few military or military homage watches I have. Kudos to Ticino for an excellent execution in modern materials that is faithful to the proportions of the original, if not to its unwieldy, impractical size for everyday use by the average person. One departure is the crystal, made of slightly domed sapphire. Its not nearly as domed as the original. The following is the 2 November 1942 top level assembly print from the Gerhard D. Wempe chronometer manufacturing department in Hamburg. From the print notes, they sourced one of two movements for it from either Lange in Glashuette near Dresden (now A. Lange & Soehne) or Durowe in Pforzheim, the two principal watch making regions in Germany since the mid-1800's. The two regions continue to this day with Glasheutte companies having been part of East Germany (DDR) under the Soviet bootheel for some decades after WWII.

John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:00:39 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #665 on: April 20, 2018, 08:15:16 PM
Victorinox AirBoss Mach 9
  • Ref# 241508
  • Stainless steel case and solid link bracelet
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back
  • Crown does not screw down
  • ETA 2824-2 25j, 28.8kbps high beat automatic movement with hacking and hand-wind
  • 42mm diameter (without crown)

John

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #666 on: April 21, 2018, 06:15:12 PM
beautiful watches everyone!

I have been itching for a new watch. My Luminox is amazing and running strong but I just have a itch for a new timepiece. I’m thinking another G-Shock. Really liking the DW-5600 BB.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #667 on: April 21, 2018, 10:06:31 PM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back
  • ETA 2824-2 25j, 28.8kbps high beat automatic movement with hacking and hand-wind

John

Nice watch John!  :like:

I thought the Mach 9 version had an ETA 7750 chronograph movement?  :think:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #668 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:28 AM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back

John

The Airboss comes with two main models, the three hand and the chrono. the chronograph uses the 7750, the 3 hand uses the 2824-4. I've got bot h but not the dark dial dial mach 9 variant.

I do like the new darker dial though

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #669 on: April 23, 2018, 01:35:08 AM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back

(Image removed from quote.)

John

Nice watch  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline twiliter

Reply #670 on: April 23, 2018, 11:07:36 AM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back

John

The Airboss comes with two main models, the three hand and the chrono. the chronograph uses the 7750, the 3 hand uses the 2824-4. I've got bot h but not the dark dial dial mach 9 variant.

Nice collection Smashie.  :like:

I really like the Airboss, it's a clean design. I would probably consider getting one if they offered a titanium version, but probably just the regular 43mm chronograph, the Mach 9 is too big at 45mm and the reversed crown throws off the look, and probably the operation unless you're a lefty. Same with the INOX diver, the extra size is too big for my average sized wrist and I'm not much for the gigantic wrist watch fashion trend.

If I could get the exact watch I have with a mechanical movement, I would consider that too, and really I'm fine with the analog quartz, but I also haven't become a watch guy yet...  :D

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #671 on: April 23, 2018, 01:47:38 PM
beautiful watches everyone!

I have been itching for a new watch. My Luminox is amazing and running strong but I just have a itch for a new timepiece. I’m thinking another G-Shock. Really liking the DW-5600 BB.
:tu:

Before you pull the trigger on it, check out their solar atomic models. Never having to change a battery or reset the time can be a plus. That said, the 5600 has a nice display that isn't cluttered.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #672 on: April 23, 2018, 02:37:20 PM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back

John

• Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back

John

Nice watch  :salute:

Thanks!
As mentioned already, there is a 7750 chrono. I've got enough chronos, most of them 7750. My weakness is GMT and World Time complications. Been thinking about a Glycine Airman 42 that shows three time zones but the 24-hour analog dial would require serious getting accustomed to as I wear my watches and much prefer analog over digital as the human brain processes an analog dial faster than reading a digital time display. Very much undecided.

John
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:01:24 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #673 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:11 PM

Nice ones Smashie!
 :tu:
A good variety of Omega there.

John

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #674 on: April 24, 2018, 01:02:52 AM
A box full of goodies from our great friend lowtech, this guy is just awesome made some trades with him and this arrive to me!
lowtech thank you my friend

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #675 on: April 24, 2018, 01:48:14 AM
A box full of goodies from our great friend lowtech, this guy is just awesome made some trades with him and this arrive to me!
lowtech thank you my friend (Image removed from quote.)

:like:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #676 on: April 24, 2018, 03:25:02 AM
I revitalized my older digital with a new lithium battery, so good for another 10 yrs. Using this as my work watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:like:
There's something just super cool about those old school digital watches. 

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #677 on: April 24, 2018, 11:21:06 AM
lowtech thank you my friend (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

What a magnificent box of goodies!

John

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #678 on: April 24, 2018, 11:27:42 AM
lowtech thank you my friend (Image removed from quote.)

Pretty cool, Ricardo! Well done, lowtech!

:tu: :tu: :cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline twiliter

Reply #679 on: April 24, 2018, 12:40:18 PM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back

John

I'm confused John, are all the Airboss' considered Mach 9?  ???

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #680 on: April 24, 2018, 02:01:44 PM
  • Ref# 241508
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Display back
John

I'm confused John, are all the Airboss' considered Mach 9?  ???
That's how this one was advertised when I bought it. That could have been an error on their part.

The page on which it was shown had multiple models all under the Mach 9 heading, but it wasn't Victorinox's site . . . which has its own brand of confusion when it comes to the chronographs.

John
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:09:36 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline twiliter

Reply #681 on: April 24, 2018, 02:06:42 PM
Thanks John, I saw your watch at Amazon and it did say Mach 9, but after checking the SwissArmy site I was confused. I'm curious about the other Vic watches, but I'm new at this...  :)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #682 on: April 24, 2018, 02:20:09 PM
Thanks John, I saw your watch at Amazon and it did say Mach 9, but after checking the SwissArmy site I was confused. I'm curious about the other Vic watches, but I'm new at this...  :)

As I understand it, the "mach number" refers to which version in sequence. If you go to the "Mach 9" chronograph on Victorinox's web site and bring it up, and then start highlighting the different models off to the right, you start getting their entire line of chronographs. The "Mach 9" may refer to a specific 7750 chrono with a few variations, but even Victorinox muddies the waters. Only four of the nine labeled as "available in" which one would presume are color and band variants come up as Mach 9 if you vector off to their pages.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Watches/Mens-Watches/AirBoss-Mechanical-Chronograph/p/241710

John

us Offline twiliter

Reply #683 on: April 24, 2018, 02:27:47 PM
Well if Vics are this confusing there must be a lot to explore in the watch world in general!  :ahhh

Thanks for clarifying.  :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #684 on: April 24, 2018, 03:04:27 PM
Well if Vics are this confusing there must be a lot to explore in the watch world in general!  :ahhh

Victorinox is not the only company that has created ambiguity with model "names". The definitive thing for all watches is the "reference number" the manufacturer uses for it in their catalog. However, that may, or may not, be marked on the watch somewhere. That varies by manufacturer. Bulova (currently) does. It's been on the dial for some time now. Seiko doesn't do that. They put a case number on the case back and a dial number on the dial. Both show the movement cailber, but the other half of the number will be different. It's for watchmakers to use to find the correct case, crystal, bezel and crown parts, and the dial and hands parts including day and date wheels. Orient does something similar on the case backs and dials, but if it's a reference to the movement caliber, it's an indirect one.

Bulova in particular drove me crazy with model names that referred to both mechanical and quartz watches with the same case, dial and hands. Only the reference number was different.

John
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:06:40 PM by jalind »
John

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #685 on: April 24, 2018, 08:10:25 PM

Victorinox is not the only company that has created ambiguity with model "names". The definitive thing for all watches is the "reference number" the manufacturer uses for it in their catalog. However, that may, or may not, be marked on the watch somewhere. That varies by manufacturer. Bulova (currently) does. It's been on the dial for some time now. Seiko doesn't do that. They put a case number on the case back and a dial number on the dial. Both show the movement cailber, but the other half of the number will be different. It's for watchmakers to use to find the correct case, crystal, bezel and crown parts, and the dial and hands parts including day and date wheels. Orient does something similar on the case backs and dials, but if it's a reference to the movement caliber, it's an indirect one.

Bulova in particular drove me crazy with model names that referred to both mechanical and quartz watches with the same case, dial and hands. Only the reference number was different.

John

Yes Omega has done exactly the same thing, Seamaster and Speedmaster are 2 examples. Which ones???? The Seamaster name has been in use since the 1950's and the Speedie since the 60's.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #686 on: May 04, 2018, 01:31:59 AM
A UPS truck dropped this one off for me . . .

Grovana Chronograph (I believe it's a "Coral Reef", but not certain)
Ref: 1571.6137
Valjoux (ETA) 7750

The 7750 movement makes for a thick case to house it which is common to all 7750 chronographs:
42mm diameter (without crown or pushers)
50mm length from lug to lug
22mm lug width
16.7mm thick (not including the cyclops)
203.7g mass with a couple links removed to fit my wrist
300m depth rating (most in its class are 200m)

Unlike many in its class, the cyclops is a proper one with decent magnification. In addition, the screwdowns around the chrono pushers aren't there just for looks, they work for their intended purpose. As shown here, they're screwed down and the pushers cannot be operated. Their purpose is to keep them from being pushed under water allowing water to leak into the watch; it pulls the pusher button flange up against the inside of the case, sealing up the pusher hole. In order to operate the chronograph function they must be unscrewed. There's a limit or stop on them when they reach the end of the pusher buttons.

The lume is quite nice; smaller bright spot at the 12 is the tip of the chronograph seconds counter. The pip above that is on the bezel.

Could not pass this one by as it's nearly impossible to get a new 7750 chronograph for under $1500 USD. Got this one for a little over a third of that. Hamilton and Tissot are using less expensive chrono movements from ETA (in house for them) to bring their costs down and I'm not ready to buy into that one either as it's apparently an evolution of the chrono movment used in the Swatch. This one rounds out my trio of Grovana: 2824-2 Sub, 2893-2 GMT and now the 7750 chronograph.

Grovana owns the production facilities and the rights to Revue-Thommen and has several other brands under its umbrella. Thommen, who make aviation instruments, wanted out of the watch business to focus on that and reached an agreement with Grovana to sell them the production facilities and license the Revue-Thommen name to them. Grovana also does private label work, but who they're making watches for is kept secret. Mutual non-disclosure agreements are standard fare for private label contracts. Grovana isn't the only company that does private label. It's more than most would think.

John
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:12:32 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #687 on: May 06, 2018, 02:23:58 AM
USPS delivered this one to my door . . .
Glycine Airman SST 12 on mesh
GL 293 (ETA 2893-2)

The Airman SST was created by Glycine in the 1960's when several Super-Sonic Transport were being actively developed, including a Lockheed and a Boeing design in addition to the Concorde and Tupelov Tu-144. Only the latter two were realized. Congress dropped support of the Lockheed design and work was continued on the Boeing 2027 which would have carried about 300 passengers at Mach 3. This was at the height of the Cold War and with the Soviets actively developing one, the USA could not be left out in the cold. The project was eventually dropped as there was already enough push-back on sonic booms from military jets around US Air Force bases. The general public was fearful they'd be continuously jarred awake with windows rattling at all hours of day and night by countless sonic booms. Unfounded, but that doesn't stop the FUD Factor (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) from being exploited by politicians who opposed the government supporting SST development.

Even though the first Concorde didn't enter service until 1970 there was still plenty of SST fever and Glycine created a watch to go with it. The SST became one of the favorites of USAF pilots in the 1960's and 1970's during the Vietnam War, along with the very similar O&W (Ollech & Wajs) Early Bird. The iconic version of the SST has a black dial with orange rotating internal 24-hour chapter ring and is referred to as "The Pumpkin". This one tones it down a little with dark blue dial and matching chapter ring. The second crown at the 2 turns the internal 24-hour ring with bold white numerals. One can set three separate time zones:
  • Main Hands
  • 4th GMT hand using fixed red 24-hour indices
  • 4th GMT hand using rotating white 24-hour indices
This modern recreation of their classic is powered by Glycine's GL293 automatic GMT with hacking and hand wind, which is derived very directly on the ETA 2893-2, the central 4th hand GMT variant of the ETA 2892A2.

No display back here. Instead is a beautifully etched back showing a stylized SST.

Lume is plenty strong for main time display.

John
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:31:42 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #688 on: May 06, 2018, 03:32:31 AM

Just arrived today.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club