Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie question: Help me decide: LM Wave/Charge OR Vic spirit?

Offline colubrid

Re: Newbie question: Help me decide: LM Wave/Charge OR Vic spirit?
Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 01:47:12 AM
Got my Vic Spriit in today from Tim as well.

OH my! Is it ever nice.

My first impression was confusing while trying to open the blades.  Then I realized the thump nicks where on opposite side on the same side. Weird. But If I can get used to opening up a LM or SOG then this is a snap.

My second impression was the scissors. I thought it was to small. Then I tried it on my beard and toe nails. Wow, It works great.  Now my only concern is the slick phillips I have read so much about. I will have to try it out and see if it as slippery as everone says it is..

SOG Powertool top. Spirit bottom:

Leatherman KIck on the left. Spirit on right.

Look how much wider the SOG has to open up:

SOG and LM Kick:

The best part I like is the can opener on the Vic Spirit. Its the only one that I can use effeciantly. Probably from so many years of using them on Vics.

AND finally here are the phillips on the SOG, LM and Vic. I was shoked to see the LM I bought had rust on it. I purchased the LM two months ago and put it into my car console. It has been sitting there untouched ever since . Rust all over it.

Guess it true about the LM's rusting. This knife had no contact with sweat, water . Just good old georgia humidty in July/August.

Acually you cannot see the rust to well on this side. There was a lot more on the other side of the LM. I will get a pic later and post it.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 02:16:40 AM by colubrid »

Offline colubrid

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 01:50:51 AM
Side veiw of SOG and Vic Spirit:

Offline colubrid

Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 01:53:07 AM
That doesn't look like an AMEFA... by '92 they were Victorinox, not AMEFA.  The AMEFA made DAKs are bigger and bulkier.
Def

I know. I thought thats what the ad said... this is the same knife we discussed about on here. I just got an email back from Tim and he said it is not an AMEFA (?)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 02:07:04 AM
AMEFA is a seperate brand that made DAKs before Victorinox took over the contracts.  They are bigger and bulkier but I don't know how much heavier duty they are, or whether they had to add the bulk to make it as sturdy as the Vic.
Personally, I think you got the better deal on the Vic than the AMEFA brand, which is nice, but didn't overly impress me.  I'll try to get some pics up soon of the two together.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 02:08:00 AM
Thanks Def!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 02:31:54 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. We were talking about two different brands together and they got mixed up. :-[
T

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 02:34:38 AM
I like a lot of LM tools but frankly I can't figure out why they're the only brand I have had that rust up. I have had to toss tons of used micras because they were nasty with rust. ???
T

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 02:49:02 AM
Funny you should bring that up too- I initially felt bad by posting the pic of the phillips heads on my Juice models in the Juice review on the main site:
http://multitool.org/content/view/26/1/
I was concerned about showing the rust on what was otherwise a brand new multi.  I haven't seen alot of rust on multis, which is surprising since I live in one of the worst places in the world for rust, but the ones I have seen it on are mostly Leatherman models.  Of course, I have seen stain resistant AUS 6, AUS 8 and ATS 34 and 55 blades develop rust out here too, so I never thought too much about it.
Def

* Juice11.JPG (Filesize: 24.11 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 02:54:41 AM
I have had the SOGS for a while and as you can see there is no rust problem with them either.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%