Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy Metal Club

magentus · 595 · 25520

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Heavy Metal Club
on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:36 AM
Heavy Metal Club

There seem to be quite a few members here that like Heavy Metal so I wondered about starting up a thread devoted to my favourite music.

Apart from MT’s my biggest and longest running passion is music and HM in particular.

I’ve been listening to HM for about 40 years now – I was working my way through my parents singles collection (Elvis, Beatles, Rolling Stones) when I came across ‘All Day and All of the Night’ by the Kinks. It was such an exciting riff – I was hooked immediately. Luckily there was also a copy of ‘You Really Got Me’ too. That was the extent of my parents hard rock collection.

Next was the Top of the Pops version of ‘Whole Lotta Love’ by Led Zep, and ‘Black Betty’ by Ram Jam, ‘The Boys are Back in Town’ by Thin Lizzy, ‘Ace of Spades’ by Motorhead and ‘Blockbuster’ by Sweet. As soon as I got a tape recorder I would put it as close to the radio as I could and tape my favourite songs in complete silence.

What really opened my eyes was my school exchange trip to France where I was introduced to AC/DC, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and Iron Maiden.

That was it! Between the ages of 13 and 29 (when my daughter was born) I spent all my spare cash on music and gigs.

What I love about Metal is that it is constantly evolving, challenging and progressing. My favourite bands today are different from when I was 13 but I still love to listen to the bands I first heard.

I could list a couple of hundred bands that I regularly listen to and feel excited by but for the moment my favourite bands are:

Tool
Opeth
Black Sabbath
Mastodon
A Perfect Circle

So, here’s the Heavy Metal club – all inclusive, if you don’t like Metal feel free to say so, but if you do, and I know you do, let rip here. And if you say it’s Metal, it’s Metal..

For Those About To Rock…………………………………
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Heavy Metal Club
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:50:09 AM
I don't really like Heavy Metal, but here's a metal cover to get this Club started...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0Yb3XvVq4

Private Government - Metallico tis Evdokias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4HI3lxHH-A

To zeibekiko tis evdokias (film excerpt)

Normally called the zeibekiko not metallico of Eudokia, it is an improvised solo dance like the soldier on the second video is dancing. The music was written for the film Eudokia and is nowadays one of the most easily reckognisable tracks.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:59:28 AM
I stumbled into Rock and Metal over similar bands you did.
I think my "awakiening" was Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction in `87, I tracked their roots back and found some Nice bands on the way.
I do enjoy a wide spectrum from Aerosmith to ZZ Top, including Motörhead, Miedival inspired bands like In extremo, Glam Rock like Motley Crue, Punk inspired ones like the Ramones, others like The Backyard Babies, Hellacopters, sometimes a little less loud like the Quireboys, even some Kid Rock now and then, and classics like AC / DC, Metallica, Judas Priest...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:07:47 PM
I stumbled into Rock and Metal over similar bands you did.
I think my "awakiening" was Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction in `87, I tracked their roots back and found some Nice bands on the way.
I do enjoy a wide spectrum from Aerosmith to ZZ Top, including Motörhead, Miedival inspired bands like In extremo, Glam Rock like Motley Crue, Punk inspired ones like the Ramones, others like The Backyard Babies, Hellacopters, sometimes a little less loud like the Quireboys, even some Kid Rock now and then, and classics like AC / DC, Metallica, Judas Priest...

So much goodness to listen to! So much variety - something for everyone.

My first girlfriend was into hair metal and dressed like it and was digusted with me because I was going through a proggy stage with my 'Fish from Marillion' haircuit and combat jacket. We didn't last long........

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39:47 PM
Not into Heavy Metal per se... more into the melodic bit: Symphonic Metal, Power Metal, Doom Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal etc.
Such as Rammstein, Nightwish, Lacrimosa, Blutengel, Epica, Xandria,  Lacuna Coil, Nekrogoblikon...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:51:17 PM
Im not a huge HM fan,but ive been a G&R and red hot chilli peppers fan from day one,also loved bon jovi and led zeppelin, over the years ive enjoyed green day and limp biscuit,ja ruil, just too name a few,but i have to admit im a big ABBA and neil diamond fan  :whistle: hey that man can sing a sweet tune  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:48 PM
Not into Heavy Metal per se... more into the melodic bit: Symphonic Metal, Power Metal, Doom Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal etc.
Such as Rammstein, Nightwish, Lacrimosa, Blutengel, Epica, Xandria,  Lacuna Coil, Nekrogoblikon...

I love Rammstein - the whole family does (but melodic?) and I've been listening to tons of Nightwish. So glad Floor is singing for them now - great voice. I will check out Nekrogoblin just for the name.

Zed, I am a huge ABBA fan too and love Sweet Caroline - you're correct the man has chops.

When I was playing in bands it was a recurring idea to play Abba songs in a Black Sabbath style and call ourselves Black Sabba. I think we'd have been hit with lawsuits before the first doom laden chords of 'Take a Chance on Me' faded

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:45:15 PM

I love Rammstein - the whole family does (but melodic?) and I've been listening to tons of Nightwish. So glad Floor is singing for them now - great voice. I will check out Nekrogoblin just for the name.

Zed, I am a huge ABBA fan too and love Sweet Caroline - you're correct the man has chops.

When I was playing in bands it was a recurring idea to play Abba songs in a Black Sabbath style and call ourselves Black Sabba. I think we'd have been hit with lawsuits before the first doom laden chords of 'Take a Chance on Me' faded

Black Sabba  :rofl: love it ,my favourite Neil diamond is Hello,it was the jazz singer that opened my ears up too his music, :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:58:10 PM
I used to be into heavy metal but almost exclusively listen symphonic metal now. I've seen Lacuna Coil, Delain, Within Temptation and will be seeing Nightwish in concert in December :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 02:04:12 PM
While I consider myself a metal fan, most of what I listen to is in the Death, Melodic Death, Thrash and the more modern metal ranges. Very little classic metal gets played in this house. If you want to hear what the wife and I enjoy you can check out her radio show on demand: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9/

It's quite a wide range, but like I said we don't tend to play too much of the classics (plenty of other shows cover that already...)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 02:12:27 PM
My interests are tame compared to most of the above (except Neil Diamond of course!  :P) and tends to stray more towards classic and hair metal like Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Scorpions and Sabbath/Ozzy.

I'm also a fan of 70's style punk/metal like the Runaways.  I love Lita Ford and Joan Jett.

And, if I never hear Sweet Caroline again it'll be too soon.  That and Brown Eyed Girl was performed by every band that played every bar I ever worked in, every night they were there.  I am sick of those two songs like you wouldn't believe.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 02:56:05 PM
I used to be into heavy metal but almost exclusively listen symphonic metal now. I've seen Lacuna Coil, Delain, Within Temptation and will be seeing Nightwish in concert in December :)

Mike, where are you seeing Nightwish? I may try and get tickets to take my daughter.

It's amazing how many niches Metal occupies - from the last few posts we have Classic, Hair, Symphonic, Death, Thrash, there's Industrial, Doom, Grindcore, Math etc etc etc.

One of the reasons I love it is that it's so inclusive and I'm especially heartened nowadays to see as many females as males attending gigs. When I was young it was totally male dominated but when I took my daughter to see Opeth last October there was a massive cross section of people there.

Can you really hear 'Sweet Caroline' too many times? I think not!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 03:06:05 PM
While I consider myself a metal fan, most of what I listen to is in the Death, Melodic Death, Thrash and the more modern metal ranges. Very little classic metal gets played in this house. If you want to hear what the wife and I enjoy you can check out her radio show on demand: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9/

It's quite a wide range, but like I said we don't tend to play too much of the classics (plenty of other shows cover that already...)

Whoey - I love Opeth - hands down (apart from Tool) my fave band at the moment. Who would you recommend I listen to in the same vein?

I will check out her show when I get my new works laptop tomorrow as I can't access it on my desktop pc.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 03:39:01 PM
Whoey - I love Opeth - hands down (apart from Tool) my fave band at the moment. Who would you recommend I listen to in the same vein?

I will check out her show when I get my new works laptop tomorrow as I can't access it on my desktop pc.
mellow side of Opeth or the old school harsh stuff (I like both!)

I really dig Riverside, they have some groovy stuff a bit like Opeth, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5whn4_-0j0s

Have you ever listened to Katatonia (the lead Jonas is good friends with Mikael of Opeth) and they are similar mellow side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPSGS-ymseI

There's also Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity, and several other bands) side project Nightingale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PhV4JyVw4

Also maybe check out some Stephen Wilson stuff, Porcupine Tree etc. He worked with Opeth producing several of their albums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77CN0Xrubo

That's probably more than enough to get you started. I'm finding Opeth a bit samey these days, I liked them a lot better when they mixed more harsh and mellow... Still great, and we've seen them live countless times, interviewed them loads of times.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 03:45:10 PM
 :nothingtoadd:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 03:54:30 PM

mellow side of Opeth or the old school harsh stuff (I like both!)

I really dig Riverside, they have some groovy stuff a bit like Opeth, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5whn4_-0j0s

Have you ever listened to Katatonia (the lead Jonas is good friends with Mikael of Opeth) and they are similar mellow side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPSGS-ymseI

There's also Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity, and several other bands) side project Nightingale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PhV4JyVw4

Also maybe check out some Stephen Wilson stuff, Porcupine Tree etc. He worked with Opeth producing several of their albums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77CN0Xrubo

That's probably more than enough to get you started. I'm finding Opeth a bit samey these days, I liked them a lot better when they mixed more harsh and mellow... Still great, and we've seen them live countless times, interviewed them loads of times.

Cheers Whoey - I will investigate. If I'm honest, while I like the newer stuff I prefer the older material because it has more to it. I love it that you cannot predict where the song is going to go next.

What were they like to interview? They are astonishingly good musicians - I was amazed when I saw them, and we regularly watch the live DVD's - breathtaking. Thanks again!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 04:07:53 PM
We were still in the UK when they filmed the Lamentations DVD at Shepard's Bush Empire, in fact it was the last concert in London before we left, we are somewhere in the upper gallery...

They are quite mellow humble guys. It's always been a pleasure to speak with them both on and off mic. One time we showed up at the label office to do an interview with them, and they said "What Maria again?" when they told them the interview was with Totalrock... back then we were one of the few who cared about them... and look at them now!

I've always thought they were amazing musicians, and they tend to be more of a musician appreciated band, the people who appreciated the concerts back then were mostly musicians themselves!

Most of those examples are quite mellow/accessible to all. Some of the bands have a similar range to Opeth, depending on which album/era you listen to. That's something I love about some bands, they play both harsh and mellow sides, just showing how open minded they are when it comes to music!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 04:18:21 PM
We were still in the UK when they filmed the Lamentations DVD at Shepard's Bush Empire, in fact it was the last concert in London before we left, we are somewhere in the upper gallery...

They are quite mellow humble guys. It's always been a pleasure to speak with them both on and off mic. One time we showed up at the label office to do an interview with them, and they said "What Maria again?" when they told them the interview was with Totalrock... back then we were one of the few who cared about them... and look at them now!

I've always thought they were amazing musicians, and they tend to be more of a musician appreciated band, the people who appreciated the concerts back then were mostly musicians themselves!

Most of those examples are quite mellow/accessible to all. Some of the bands have a similar range to Opeth, depending on which album/era you listen to. That's something I love about some bands, they play both harsh and mellow sides, just showing how open minded they are when it comes to music!

This is great! Thanks for telling me. I've asked for the Lamentations DVD for my birthday next month, and the CD's that I don't have already - Damnation, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life and the Albert Hall DVD.

I haven't felt like this about a band since first hearing Tool many years ago. Another good thing about Opeth is that they are a lot more prolific than Tool!
I bet it's great to have a hand in the success of a band you really like.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 04:23:15 PM
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 04:27:06 PM
METALLICA!!!! No school like old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 04:28:32 PM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 04:31:23 PM
METALLICA!!!! No school like old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw them many years ago at Donington - James is a great rhythmn guitarist I love watching him play. They were brave to release 'Some Kind of Monster' What a crazy band! Like a Heavy Metal Fleetwood Mac!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 04:31:36 PM
Cheers Corwyn  :salute: I will work my way through these on my home computer - for some reason they won't let us watch Youtube at work!  ???

Do watch the Nekrogoblikon video.. it's genius.. and yes.. it is Kayden Kross.. whoever she may be  :whistle:

Ow, and since I put in a ballad for Lacrimosa, here's my wakeup ringtone as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anIHH-JmHY
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:32:39 PM by Corwyn »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 04:39:49 PM
I don't tend to listen to as much metal as I used to but here is what I tend to gravitate towards:
Metallica, Dream Theater (some), Liquid Tension Experiment, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Russian Circles (great metal trio). There is a newer band I discovered called Ruby the Hatchet. They have the Sabbath sound going with a female singer:
http://thehatchet.bandcamp.com/
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 04:47:22 PM
I don't tend to listen to as much metal as I used to but here is what I tend to gravitate towards:
Metallica, Dream Theater (some), Liquid Tension Experiment, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Russian Circles (great metal trio). There is a newer band I discovered called Ruby the Hatchet. They have the Sabbath sound going with a female singer:
http://thehatchet.bandcamp.com/

Musically I love Dream Theatre but I wish they'd get a new singer - He's not bad at all, but his voice seems at odds with the music.

Tool are my most favourite band - they seem to be on a different plane to everyone else - can't describe it.
I will check out Russian Circles and Ruby the Hatchet - There are quite a few bands with the Sabbath sound (The Sword, Orange Goblin etc) but none quite capture the sheer primevel awe of a Tony Iommi riff - blindingly simple and obvious but but but....... 'Into the Void' once it kicks in, is Tony at his best I think - so simple but only Tony thought of it.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 04:50:52 PM

This is great! Thanks for telling me. I've asked for the Lamentations DVD for my birthday next month, and the CD's that I don't have already - Damnation, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life and the Albert Hall DVD.

I haven't felt like this about a band since first hearing Tool many years ago. Another good thing about Opeth is that they are a lot more prolific than Tool!
One of several for us. Lacuna Coil, In Flames were also bands we championed back 12-13 years ago, and both of those have also grown to a massive fan base... In fact, back then my wife had a reputation of being "the girl who plays In Flames" on the radio... and just to annoy Mike here's the photo of my wife and Cristina from Lacuna Coil a bunch of years back (I've posted it on here before, but it never gets old :P)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 04:55:28 PM

One of several for us. Lacuna Coil, In Flames were also bands we championed back 12-13 years ago, and both of those have also grown to a massive fan base... In fact, back then my wife had a reputation of being "the girl who plays In Flames" on the radio... and just to annoy Mike here's the photo of my wife and Cristina from Lacuna Coil a bunch of years back (I've posted it on here before, but it never gets old :P)
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice one! Proud moment.  :salute: It's great to see more women in metal nowadays. Have you seen/heard any Rollo Tomassi (Math rock) they are insanely young and talented.

Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 05:12:56 PM

Mike, where are you seeing Nightwish? I may try and get tickets to take my daughter.

It's amazing how many niches Metal occupies - from the last few posts we have Classic, Hair, Symphonic, Death, Thrash, there's Industrial, Doom, Grindcore, Math etc etc etc.

One of the reasons I love it is that it's so inclusive and I'm especially heartened nowadays to see as many females as males attending gigs. When I was young it was totally male dominated but when I took my daughter to see Opeth last October there was a massive cross section of people there.

Wembley arena on the 19th of December :)

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 05:16:01 PM
Got to love Cristina haven't you!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 06:10:19 PM

Yes.  Yes you can.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%