Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy Metal Club

magentus · 595 · 25509

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Heavy Metal Club
Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 07:05:14 PM
I don't tend to listen to as much metal as I used to but here is what I tend to gravitate towards:
Metallica, Dream Theater (some), Liquid Tension Experiment, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Russian Circles (great metal trio). There is a newer band I discovered called Ruby the Hatchet. They have the Sabbath sound going with a female singer:
http://thehatchet.bandcamp.com/

Musically I love Dream Theatre but I wish they'd get a new singer - He's not bad at all, but his voice seems at odds with the music.

Tool are my most favourite band - they seem to be on a different plane to everyone else - can't describe it.
I will check out Russian Circles and Ruby the Hatchet - There are quite a few bands with the Sabbath sound (The Sword, Orange Goblin etc) but none quite capture the sheer primevel awe of a Tony Iommi riff - blindingly simple and obvious but but but....... 'Into the Void' once it kicks in, is Tony at his best I think - so simple but only Tony thought of it.

I kinda jumped ship from Dream Theater around 2005 after Train of Thought (still one of the best shows i've ever seen). DT were on point the most around Awake. Falling Into Infinity and Scenes From a Memory are still great albums. I tend to stick more with Liquid Tension Experiment more than Dream Theater these days..

Russian Circles have a heavier sound but are more instrumental than metal.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:06:25 PM by ToolJoe »
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 07:30:05 PM
Not into Heavy Metal per se... more into the melodic bit: Symphonic Metal, Power Metal, Doom Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal etc.
Such as Rammstein, Nightwish, Lacrimosa, Blutengel, Epica, Xandria,  Lacuna Coil, Nekrogoblikon...

I love Rammstein - the whole family does (but melodic?) and I've been listening to tons of Nightwish. So glad Floor is singing for them now - great voice. I will check out Nekrogoblin just for the name.

Zed, I am a huge ABBA fan too and love Sweet Caroline - you're correct the man has chops.

When I was playing in bands it was a recurring idea to play Abba songs in a Black Sabbath style and call ourselves Black Sabba. I think we'd have been hit with lawsuits before the first doom laden chords of 'Take a Chance on Me' faded

Black Sabba  :rofl: love it ,my favourite Neil diamond is Hello,it was the jazz singer that opened my ears up too his music, :tu:

I do like me some Neil Diamond from time to time, too. Abba did some timeless songs and I have now stuck bits of those in my head. Thanks.
And BTW, there has been at least one Tribute Album of Metal bands playing Abba. I need to ask my brother how it was called.
The more I read from you, the more I think we´d have a great time together, Paul. Although we might have to argue about tea or coffee is the right drink to start a day.  :tu: and I have this feeling with many of teh members here. I only fear no city would survive a complete MTO meet.

I think I need to listen to some old records I still not have on CD this weekend. Those crackling when the needle hits the record... sweet memories. That little scratch on the B side of Appetite for destruction where there is the little blip... Funny how music warps you back yearsd or decades with a single riff.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 07:40:41 PM
Can I join..?  :cheers:
HUGE Metal Fan for the last 25 years at least.. Primarily Classic metal like Anthrax, Megadeth, Death, Sepultura, Type O Negative, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Kreator, Tankard ect.. If the frontman is about 50 years old (or dead), there's a good chance I'm listning to it..
Two years ago I got the chance to finally see my biggest idol through the years King Diamond Live at the Copenhell Festival and just after getting my two girls that was one of the most fantastic experiences so far..!! Throwing horns, knowing all the lyrics and constantly having goose bumps for two hours..  :D :D

(King Diamond, Me and my buddies waiting for Anthrax, OBITUARY Live)
1011306_638393179505366_774720541_n.jpg
* 1011306_638393179505366_774720541_n.jpg (Filesize: 40.72 KB)
IMG_4647.jpg
* IMG_4647.jpg (Filesize: 111.42 KB)
IMG_4327.jpg
* IMG_4327.jpg (Filesize: 183.71 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 07:43:09 PM
Ha record scratches! I still can't listen to 'Die Young' by Black Sabbath without expecting a jump at the beginning of the 2nd verse. I found a 2nd hand copy of 'Heaven and Hell' in a record shop and played it to death. No matter how many coins I blu tacked to the needle it still jumped on the 2nd verse.

I'm not overly nostalgic for vinyl apart from the great artwork. I'd love to see some of the Mastodon artwork on a proper album cover;

iu.jpg
* iu.jpg (Filesize: 15.87 KB)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:45:50 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 07:45:17 PM
HUGE Metal Fan for the last 25 years at least.. Primarily Classic metal like Anthrax, Megadeth, Death, Sepultura, Type O Negative, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Kreator, Tankard ect.. If the frontman is about 50 years old (or dead), there's a good chance I'm listning to it..
Two years ago I got the chance to finally see my biggest idol through the years King Diamond Live at the Copenhell Festival and just after getting my two girls that was one of the most fantastic experiences so far..!! Throwing horns, knowing all the lyrics and constantly having goose bumps for two hours..  :D :D

Course you can join!!! Welcome. King Diamond eh?

The old Bitch is back. Yes, but she makes a good cup of tea.

Was that correct? Can't remember which album.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11:12 PM
count me in this club boys
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 08:15:37 PM

Course you can join!!! Welcome. King Diamond eh?

The old Bitch is back. Yes, but she makes a good cup of tea.

Was that correct? Can't remember which album.
THEM..  :tu: You nailed it pretty good eventhough it's the first and the last line from the intro.. ;) :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 08:33:43 PM
Metal has been a big part of my life since I bought my first Metallica kasette at age 8.

Some of my favourite bands are:
Metallica
Apocalyptica
Iron Maiden
Children of Bodom
Eluveitie
Ramstein

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:53 PM
Welcome Styx, what's your poison?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:28 PM
Metal has been a big part of my life since I bought my first Metallica kasette at age 8.

Metallica
Apocalyptica
Iron Maiden
Children of Bodom
Eluveitie
Ramstein

Welcome Grathr you're among friends here.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:34 PM

Metallica
Apocalyptica
Iron Maiden
Children of Bodom
Eluveitie
Ramstein

Welcome Grathr you're among friends here.

:salute: :metal:

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 10:02:46 PM
If you guys haven't heard them already, be sure to check out the DEATH tributeband,
GRUESOME's debut Savage Land.. Amazing old School sound..  :salute:

http://youtu.be/3JOz0l-uL4I

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:40 PM
Early 80s and I was a little boy that was discovering the strange sounds of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Blue Oyster Cult, OK and some Scorpions too since girls liked them. A couple of years later I found my true love, the music that was at zenith when I was born (I remember My Sharona at a local disco when I was a toddler, that melody whill never fade). So it was Black Sabbath, Uriah Heap, Led Zeppelin and above all the one and only, Deep Purple. I kept the two lines of 70s Hard Rock and 80s Heavy Metal in my heart, valuing equally Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Cream, Emerson Lake and Palmer and also Ozzy, Dio, Whitesnake, Rainbow, Accept, Van Hallen, Twisted Sister, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Quiet Riot, you get the point. A little punk too, Sex Pistols, and some classics, Rolling Stones, Who, Beatles etc. I was happy to see Deep Purple uniting again and very successfully (sparking a lot of revivals). During the 90s I had to finish the medical school, marry, raise two kids, finish Psychiatric speciality, do army duties and then find a job, so I stopped updating to new groups and actually missed Metallica, Grunge and various metal branches. Millennium starting I was fascinated with classical music, fanatically so for the first decade (thankfully there is enough rock and metal classical material, starting from DP Concerto for Group and Orchestra and moving to Manzarek, Malmsteen, Gary Moore, Uli Jon Roth, Dr Viossy). Now I hear everything but mostly those classics of the 60s, especially from 66 to 76 and then the New Wave of Heavy Metal. I compiled a list of 3500+ pieces I EDC on my tablet with "The Soundtrack of my Life" that brings back memories from when I had hair (and a Whola Lotta' f them), a black Dio T-Shirt and a bright future in front of me, crazy in love with my wife, a 16.5 years old girl then that was proud for her "rocker" boyfriend (did I mention I had hair then?).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:09:35 PM by kkokkolis »

hr Offline styx

Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 07:55:34 AM
Welcome Styx, what's your poison?

Motorehead, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Black label society, Pantera (yea I know they are a bit out of Heavy metal but hey), and bands that I haven't listened to in a while like Saxon, Judas priest, Ange witch, Diamond head and Accept

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 01:10:35 PM
Ok Metallers, we've all introduced ourselves. We all have metal running through our veins. We are, as Manowar would say, a Brotherhood of Metal.

My question to you all is:

What riff do you have playing in your head when you're doing something cool?

If I'm doing something cool and fast (running away from/chasing Ninjas etc) I have (currently) 'Kickstart my Heart' by Motley Crue

If I'm doing something slower (stalking Ninja's/making an omelette/shaving) I have 'Into the Void' by the mighty Sabs

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:11:49 PM by magentus »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:32 PM
love driving with this blasting:

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKeBCZnEuzY

sadly MyGrain have announced they're calling it quits :(
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:23:11 PM by Whoey »
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:06 PM
I listened to Immortal and Gojira in the truck today. Does that count?  :think:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 01:31:42 PM
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 05:04:54 PM
Many. Smoke on the Water, Higway Star, Godgilla, Iron Man, Breaking the Law, Barracuda, Sunshine of your Love, Me 262, Cum on Feel the Noise, Black Dog, The Trooper, TNT, Up to the Limit, Schools out (for ever!), Bat out of Hell, In a Gadda da Vida (babe), We aint no gonna take it, Purple Haze, Shapes of Things etc. When feeling groovy there are others, Europa, Parisien Walkways, Wasted Sunsets and such. I'm not coupling with the groups but I guess you are all familiar.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:39 PM
I'm at work,on tea,listening to Saxon and Hendrix
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 08:58:55 PM
Cool! Which Saxon and which Hendrix?

I'm going to find some time this weekend to investigate some of the music that's been mentioned here that I haven't heard. Can't wait.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:10 PM
Metal makes us strong
Together we belong

ManowaR - Army of the Immortals - Metal makes us strong

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 09:28:33 PM
You wouldn't have Heavy Metal without Hard Rock
You wouldn't have Hard Rock without Deep Purple

https://youtu.be/5GsqL_xlkh0

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 10:22:07 PM
Cool! Which Saxon and which Hendrix?

I'm going to find some time this weekend to investigate some of the music that's been mentioned here that I haven't heard. Can't wait.

Saxon:Strong Arm of the Law
          747(Strangers in the night)

James Marshall: All along the watchtower(though I actually kinda prefer Dylan's original)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 11:12:19 PM
Metal makes us strong
Together we belong

Ah Manowar - you furry panted Gods of Metal

'Let each note I now play be an arrow through the heart of all those who play false metal!'

Or something.

James Marshall: All along the watchtower(though I actually kinda prefer Dylan's original)

Still one of the best covers ever though  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 11:17:36 PM
You wouldn't have Heavy Metal without Hard Rock
You wouldn't have Hard Rock without Deep Purple

https://youtu.be/5GsqL_xlkh0

And where would we be without the mighty Ritchie Blackmore? I was lucky enough to see the reformed Mk2 lineup at Brixton Acadamy for the 'Slaves and Masters' tour and Ritchie blew my mind. The whole band was excellent but he was something else.

I wish I'd been able to see Rainbow with Dio singing - Heaven!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #56 on: April 25, 2015, 12:18:17 AM
I've seen them with Richie during the late 80s and Steve Morse during the late 90s. They were great both times. Only other concert of foreign rock group I ever saw was with BOC, with Buck Dharma on the guitar. I whish I could have seen more but after an unfortunate Rolling Stones concert in 67 (three days before a 7 year military junta supressed everything that had any value at all) Greece was on a black list for 20 years or so, almost the whole history of original Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.
Richie plays very differently now (what is it, Celtic music or something?) but if he is happy it doesn't matter. Most quitarists of today owe to him, Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page (honourable mention Tonny Iomi).

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: April 25, 2015, 12:22:58 AM
Metal makes us strong
Together we belong

Ah Manowar - you furry panted Gods of Metal

'Let each note I now play be an arrow through the heart of all those who play false metal!'

Or something.

Still one of the best covers ever though  :salute:

Definitely !

hr Offline styx

Reply #58 on: April 25, 2015, 09:33:41 AM
Ok Metallers, we've all introduced ourselves. We all have metal running through our veins. We are, as Manowar would say, a Brotherhood of Metal.

My question to you all is:

What riff do you have playing in your head when you're doing something cool?

If I'm doing something cool and fast (running away from/chasing Ninjas etc) I have (currently) 'Kickstart my Heart' by Motley Crue

If I'm doing something slower (stalking Ninja's/making an omelette/shaving) I have 'Into the Void' by the mighty Sabs

Most of the time it's something classical like Motorhead although BLS often comes in too. But there are those special moments when Montley Crue's Dr Feelgood has to step in. And I've got a rated M story about using that pseudonym  ;) :whistle:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #59 on: April 25, 2015, 04:45:44 PM
Here's a list of the music I keep in my Tablet (Classical is in different folders, usually album oriented). Mostly Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal but also sounds of the '70s and '80s that shaped the soundtrack of my youth. It's 3744 pieces (some double as lives and covers) and I add from time to time.
* List.txt (Filesize: 132.14 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD