Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy Metal Club

magentus · 596 · 26296

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Re: Heavy Metal Club
Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 05:35:18 PM
Maybe i belong here. Most of my life i have been into metal. All in for metal music, and steel, as in sharps.

my favourites have changed many time,  but never forgotten. I have allways listened to Metallica, Guns'n Roses, Billy Idol, Amorphis, Megadeth, Sonata Arctica, Slipknot, etc. Anything from hardcore to classic metal, to melodic metal. Usually what i listen, changes by the mood i am at.

And hey, i am from Finland. :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 02:46:24 PM
Corwyn - I had great fun watching the Nekrogoblikon song _ brilliant fun!
Whoey - I really enjoyed 'Fear of a Blank Planet' by Porcupine Tree. Great lyrics too.

I would recommend Opeth's 'Harlequin Forest' - mucho Death Prog, and '46 & 2' by the mighty Tool. I can't add links to these as I'm at work, but will if I have time later.

Stay Metal  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #62 on: April 27, 2015, 03:09:13 PM
The first CD I ever owned was Master of Puppets.  I've seen Metallica twice. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 03:14:20 PM
The first CD I ever owned was Master of Puppets.  I've seen Metallica twice. :tu:

Cool band! I'm old enough to admit I bought everything up to Master of Puppets on vinyl AS THEY CAME OUT. I saw them at Donington I think.

What's your fave Metallica song JD?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #64 on: April 27, 2015, 03:55:02 PM
I have a couple Metallica albums on vinyl...

At least 10 of the shelves in this are metal, one shelf is non metal:

And that isn't everything  :ahhh
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #65 on: April 27, 2015, 04:12:48 PM
Inspired by this thread I added ~ 120 new songs, mostly Dio, Megadeth, Anthrax, Halloween, Venom, Twisted Sister etc.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #66 on: April 27, 2015, 04:56:04 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

The shelves are sagging under the weight of all that Metal!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #67 on: April 27, 2015, 05:00:00 PM
Inspired by this thread I added ~ 120 new songs, mostly Dio, Megadeth, Anthrax, Halloween, Venom, Twisted Sister etc.

Those bands are my teenage years right there! I remember seeing Venom at the Hammersmith Odeon (half empty!), Dio twice on 2 consecutive nights and breaking up with my girlfriend on the 2nd night (can't remember why), Singing 'we're not gonna take it' while standing on the seats at a Twisted Sister gig and being told to get of the seats by the security, going to see Anthrax and leaving after Living Colour (support band) had been on as there was no way Anthrax were going to top them!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 05:06:23 PM

Actually that's my poor design/implementation. The whole thing is made up of prefinished/laminated boards... none of them are the same spacing just roughly the height of a cd case vertical (they're longer than tall) to allow for some of the special box editions that are weird heights. Also when I built it I didn't have hardly any tools available... and it was a bit of a rush job so I roughly measured it out instead of making a jig that would have had it perfect. Also the shelves that aren't sagging is because those are the ones with L brackets attached to the wall... in retrospect I wish I had used shorted length, or cut some spacers to build a central column to give it more structural integrity...

And now the wife wants to get rid of it from the office since we rarely need CDs anymore  :ahhh :bnghd:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 06:13:17 PM

Cool band! I'm old enough to admit I bought everything up to Master of Puppets on vinyl AS THEY CAME OUT. I saw them at Donington I think.

What's your fave Metallica song JD?

Tough call, but I'd have to say the instrumental Orion on Puppets. :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:23 PM
The song I have going through my head when I do things is Mouth of War by Pantera.

Living Color/Anthrax sounds like a killer combo show  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 08:19:07 PM
Dio, Malmsteen and a classic

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: April 27, 2015, 08:28:48 PM
Vinyl you say... flashbacks anyone?  :D

and one of my treasures:

hr Offline styx

Reply #73 on: April 27, 2015, 09:32:20 PM
now that's a collection
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #74 on: April 27, 2015, 09:56:26 PM
Scream Bloody Gore PD.. 8) 8)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #75 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:02 PM
Dio, Malmsteen and a classic

The Dio fronted Heaven and Hell album is, to me, the quintessential old school metal album - 'Die Young' being the song that encapsulates everything good about Metal.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #76 on: April 27, 2015, 11:06:10 PM

Actually that's my poor design/implementation. The whole thing is made up of prefinished/laminated boards... none of them are the same spacing just roughly the height of a cd case vertical (they're longer than tall) to allow for some of the special box editions that are weird heights. Also when I built it I didn't have hardly any tools available... and it was a bit of a rush job so I roughly measured it out instead of making a jig that would have had it perfect. Also the shelves that aren't sagging is because those are the ones with L brackets attached to the wall... in retrospect I wish I had used shorted length, or cut some spacers to build a central column to give it more structural integrity...

And now the wife wants to get rid of it from the office since we rarely need CDs anymore  :ahhh :bnghd:

Don't do it Whoey - you'll regret it.

Here are links to my earlier suggestions:

Harlequin forest by Opeth:

and 46 & 2 by the mighty Tool:

I would wholeheartedly recommend both these bands- fiercely intelligent, complex music that takes metal high above the caveman stereotype and soars through the cosmos of higher consciousness. Or something........

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 11:24:42 PM
Yes. I always liked the way Black Sabbath and Deep Purple where interconnected and Dio was the bridge between them. Gillan has a very "Blues" voice and didn't suit their sound but Dio was equally great in Rainbow (Deep Purple's natural successor) and Black Sabbath and even better in his own scheme, were he played the highest quality Heavy Metal after studying in those two great schools. Many people cite Led Zeppelin as the greatest but they didn't give life to other groups and they didn't evolve further (some brief Coverdale and Page and Page and Plant collaborations are exceptions), Yardbirds were much more inspiring (one could claim that LZ were "unique" of course) but consider the groups that started from these two, Ozzy Osbourne, Heaven and Hell, Rainbow, Ian Gillan Band, Whitesnake, PAL (OK, and Blackmore's Night) the continued Black Sabbath and Deep Purple after 1986, the new wave of HM groups that stepped on their sounds and themes like Iron Maiden, the connections with other groups like Rob Halford and Judas Priest, the immitators, the musicians that were shared, such as Cozy Powel, Don Airy, Glenn Hughes, Bob Daisley, the collaborations of Butterfly Ball and the second Concerto for Group and Orchestra etc. Their influence goes down to any modern HM group and to any boy that scratches his quitar, from Randy Rhoades to Curt Cobain and from Joe Satriani to Yngwie Malmsteen.
OK, Led Zeppelin inspired Heart and Dread Zeppelin and some AC-DC. They are great too at their time but they had almost nothing to do with Dio.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:26:25 PM by kkokkolis »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 11:42:26 PM
Yes. I always liked the way Black Sabbath and Deep Purple where interconnected and Dio was the bridge between them. Gillan has a very "Blues" voice and didn't suit their sound but Dio was equally great in Rainbow (Deep Purple's natural successor) and Black Sabbath and even better in his own scheme, were he played the highest quality Heavy Metal after studying in those two great schools. Many people cite Led Zeppelin as the greatest but they didn't give life to other groups and they didn't evolve further (some brief Coverdale and Page and Page and Plant collaborations are exceptions), Yardbirds were much more inspiring (one could claim that LZ were "unique" of course) but consider the groups that started from these two, Ozzy Osbourne, Heaven and Hell, Rainbow, Ian Gillan Band, Whitesnake, PAL (OK, and Blackmore's Night) the continued Black Sabbath and Deep Purple after 1986, the new wave of HM groups that stepped on their sounds and themes like Iron Maiden, the connections with other groups like Rob Halford and Judas Priest, the immitators, the musicians that were shared, such as Cozy Powel, Don Airy, Glenn Hughes, Bob Daisley, the collaborations of Butterfly Ball and the second Concerto for Group and Orchestra etc. Their influence goes down to any modern HM group and to any boy that scratches his quitar, from Randy Rhoades to Curt Cobain and from Joe Satriani to Yngwie Malmsteen.
OK, Led Zeppelin inspired Heart and Dread Zeppelin and some AC-DC. They are great too at their time but they had almost nothing to do with Dio.

Totally agree. While I love Zep and even more the direction that Robert Plant has taken lately, Ronnie was always my man. He put his mark on every band he was in and then released the incredible Holy Diver - a perfect debut - Best since Boston arrived fully formed.

Another point I love about Ronnie is that, as a shy and nervous teenager his lyrics reached out to me. Not nihilistic lyrics but of acceptance and hope. The brilliant ' wishing well' from heaven and hell with its ' I'll give you a star, so you'll know just where you are' to 'rainbow in the dark' from holy diver.

And don't get me started on Richie Blackmore!
 :salute:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:04:19 AM by magentus »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 12:03:43 AM
:think:

Just wondering if you head-banger people (hey, I do it, too) :D are going to start :pommel: if I say that there are some very heavy metal tunes in early Queen sound.

Like in Ogre Battle, Sheer Heart Attack, The Seven Seas of Rhye, Mustapha, Stone Cold Crazy, maybe The Prophet's Song and possibly other tracks eluding me right now?

And please allow a mini-rant (can't burn a heretic if they're not a believer, can you now?) :D, the two things I don't like about metal are, first that I can't understand all the labelling, Thrash, Death, Core, Glitter :P and I_don't_know_what Metal and then, how defined of a sound metal music (as my ears perceive it) is, it seems, against variation. :shrug:

Then again I didn't know Tool and Led Zep are classed as metal. I like them both, though.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:08:11 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #80 on: April 28, 2015, 12:14:18 AM
:think:

Just wondering if you head-banger people (hey, I do it, too) :D are going to start :pommel: if I say that there are some very heavy metal tunes in early Queen sound.

Like in Ogre Battle, Sheer Heart Attack, The Seven Seas of Rhye, Mustapha, Stonei Cold Crazy, maybe The Prophet's Song and possibly other tracks eluding me right now?

And please allow a mini-rant (can't burn a heretic if they're not a believer, can you now?) :D, the two things I don't like about metal are, first that I can't understand all the labelling, Thrash, Death, Core, Glitter :P and I_don't_know_what Metal and then, how defined of a sound metal music (as my ears perceive it) is, it seems, against variation. :shrug:

Then again I didn't know Tool and Led Zep are classed as metal.   
Hey firiki I agree about Queen. Very heavy first couple of albums. I think the labelling you dislike just serves as a shortcut - I call it all metal as an umbrella term for my own benefit but it is useful to be able to differentiate between bands like say Whitesnake and Venom, or Slipknot. All very different sounding bands.

I know zep didn't want to be associated with the hm tag but that's their loss.  :D

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #81 on: April 28, 2015, 12:56:38 AM
I know zep didn't want to be associated with the hm tag but that's their loss.  :D

:D

Yes, I'm not saying they're all the same nor am I bashing anything here. I haven't ventured into metal, really not my kind of music, I just wanted to share a couple of impressions from a bystander's perspective.  >:D 
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #82 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:13 AM
Hey magentus, may I join? :pok:  While I was a kid in the 80's, my interest in music really kicked in during the 90's.  I honestly don't remember what bands I really got into early on, but I know I ended up backtracking to the 80's with Metallica and Guns n Roses in particular.  I had a friend I met in 8th grade who was a metal fan and he helped shape my tastes in music, with one major band he was the biggest fan of-Pantera.  We went and saw them, along with many other bands like Fear Factory (another one that stuck out to me) at Ozzfest '97.  I'll have to look up who else played there (obviously Ozzy and Black Sabbath).  That was my first concert and overwhelming for a young me at the time ;) 

I also got into Korn bigtime, as well as some Limp Bizkit.  Not sure if they're metal exactly.  Like firiki, I'm not familiar with all the sub genres within the metal family.  I also like Disturbed and a large variety from the 90's and millennium on, but with no access to any of it currently, I can't think of many other bands off the top of my head.  I do also like Motley as well (mags mentioned "Kickstart my Heart" which I always enjoy when it comes on the radio).  I wish I could think of more.  I do enjoy Tool some as well. 

I've slowed on the acquisition/discovery of much new metal in the last decade though.  I hear stuff on the rock station that I like, but I'm not familiar with many of the bands.  Although I do like Hailstorm I think it is.  The female vocalist is really great and has a set of lungs from what I've heard.  I really like their song "Love Bites".  Very energetic and thrashy song.  Bits and pieces keep coming to me ;)  Anyway, I may think of more later. 
K-Tibbs

hr Offline styx

Reply #83 on: April 28, 2015, 07:55:59 AM
i wonder where would Orange goblin fall genre vise
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #84 on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:43 AM
Hey magentus, may I join? :pok:  While I was a kid in the 80's, my interest in music really kicked in during the 90's.  I honestly don't remember what bands I really got into early on, but I know I ended up backtracking to the 80's with Metallica and Guns n Roses in particular.  I had a friend I met in 8th grade who was a metal fan and he helped shape my tastes in music, with one major band he was the biggest fan of-Pantera.  We went and saw them, along with many other bands like Fear Factory (another one that stuck out to me) at Ozzfest '97.  I'll have to look up who else played there (obviously Ozzy and Black Sabbath).  That was my first concert and overwhelming for a young me at the time ;) 

I also got into Korn bigtime, as well as some Limp Bizkit.  Not sure if they're metal exactly.  Like firiki, I'm not familiar with all the sub genres within the metal family.  I also like Disturbed and a large variety from the 90's and millennium on, but with no access to any of it currently, I can't think of many other bands off the top of my head.  I do also like Motley as well (mags mentioned "Kickstart my Heart" which I always enjoy when it comes on the radio).  I wish I could think of more.  I do enjoy Tool some as well. 

I've slowed on the acquisition/discovery of much new metal in the last decade though.  I hear stuff on the rock station that I like, but I'm not familiar with many of the bands.  Although I do like Hailstorm I think it is.  The female vocalist is really great and has a set of lungs from what I've heard.  I really like their song "Love Bites".  Very energetic and thrashy song.  Bits and pieces keep coming to me ;)  Anyway, I may think of more later.

Cool to have you here Mo.  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #85 on: April 28, 2015, 10:06:36 AM

I would say they were Stoner Metal along the lines of Ozzy era Sabbath, but it's all just metal to me!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: April 28, 2015, 04:56:34 PM

I would say they were Stoner Metal along the lines of Ozzy era Sabbath, but it's all just metal to me!

I used to listen to Orange Goblin, Kyuss, Sheavy and tons of stoner metal. Good stuff..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #87 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:18 PM
Another fan of metal music here.

I started listening to metal when I was nine. It started with Iron Maiden and Metallica, then Pantera came, then heavier stuff came (death, black, etc.).

When I was 11, I discovered the old In Flames (Clayman was their last masterpiece IMO) and strongly fell in love with their sound. I was blown away by their combination of melodies, heaviness and awesome lyrics. The old IF sound was my musical favorite for many years. I accepted the fact that they have changed their sound a lot and I respect their decision - bands have every right to do whatever they want with their music. But their newer albums are not as interesting to me as their older albums, simple as that.

After the long period of preferring of Gothenburg melodeath sound (DT, Soilwork, AE, ATG, AMS, etc.), now I prefer the Finnish sound (mostly melodeath - Insomnium, Before the dawn, Amorphis, etc.). Currently Insomnium is my favorite band, followed by Amorphis and BTD.

What annoys me about music these days (including metal, too, definitely) is that there are a lot of boring copycats, repeating the same musical phrases and lyrics over and over... Plus, I'm not a fan of trivial and retarded teenage-angst lyrics. I prefer the music with lyrical and musical depth and passion, whatever the genre. As I grow older, more and more I want the music to have that certain vibe, something I can individually resonate to. One day I will turn up Tori Amos, the next day it will be Mastodon or Jakob, the next day Blotted Science... It doesn't have to have the yet-unseen 100000000 BPM tempo or 232-minute-super-duper-phrygian-dominant-scale solo for me to resonate... it's all about my current feeling and thoughts. For me, music should be all about the acoustic freedom, the remnants of a certain state of human mind, present somewhere in time and space.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #88 on: April 28, 2015, 07:31:02 PM
Another fan of metal music here.

I started listening to metal when I was nine. It started with Iron Maiden and Metallica, then Pantera came, then heavier stuff came (death, black, etc.).

When I was 11, I discovered the old In Flames (Clayman was their last masterpiece IMO) and strongly fell in love with their sound. I was blown away by their combination of melodies, heaviness and awesome lyrics. The old IF sound was my musical favorite for many years. I accepted the fact that they have changed their sound a lot and I respect their decision - bands have every right to do whatever they want with their music. But their newer albums are not as interesting to me as their older albums, simple as that.

After the long period of preferring of Gothenburg melodeath sound (DT, Soilwork, AE, ATG, AMS, etc.), now I prefer the Finnish sound (mostly melodeath - Insomnium, Before the dawn, Amorphis, etc.). Currently Insomnium is my favorite band, followed by Amorphis and BTD.

What annoys me about music these days (including metal, too, definitely) is that there are a lot of boring copycats, repeating the same musical phrases and lyrics over and over... Plus, I'm not a fan of trivial and retarded teenage-angst lyrics. I prefer the music with lyrical and musical depth and passion, whatever the genre. As I grow older, more and more I want the music to have that certain vibe, something I can individually resonate to. One day I will turn up Tori Amos, the next day it will be Mastodon or Jakob, the next day Blotted Science... It doesn't have to have the yet-unseen 100000000 BPM tempo or 232-minute-super-duper-phrygian-dominant-scale solo for me to resonate... it's all about my current feeling and thoughts. For me, music should be all about the acoustic freedom, the remnants of a certain state of human mind, present somewhere in time and space.

Nice post. I agree with the freedom for bands to do what they want and it's a truely great band that will deviate from the successful path to experiment. Record companies hate it and some fans want to same music repeated ad infinitum.

I love Tori Amos for her willingness to explore, as well as Tool and Opeth. Mastodon too are masters of beginning a song in one direction and then swerving all over the place until arriving somewhere south of the destination you expected, in a completely different vehicle. They are the Frank Zappa of Metal I think.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: April 29, 2015, 04:32:01 PM
I respect a band who takes a shot and tries out a new sound sometimes. I know this might be an unpopular view that I have but I applaud Metallica for taking a direction change that they did with Load/Reload/St. Anger. ...And Justice turned a little bit away from the thrash of Kill em, Lighting and Puppets and then they went for the more groove oriented stuff a la Pantera on the Black Album.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD