Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?
Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 12:54:27 AM
Backpacking around here is your second definition. Taking everything you need in a backpack for a multi day hike.

My longest backpacking trip was 7 days. That was back in 1989, and gear weighed more back then. But then again, I weigh more now, so... :D The real weight issue (IMO) for 5-7 day trips is food weight. At least for the first few days.

I think I could manage the half pound weight of a Wave, but yeah, would probably opt for a Squirt.

EDIT: Back in 'the old days' I carried a 50lb pack. I'm apparently well designed for climbing up and down mountains under burden at walking speed. But I'd rather get in a knife fight than run two miles. :D

Actually Lynn, I'd rather not do either!  I'm more in line with a short hike, a bottle of wine, a siesta in the sun, and an easy walk out!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 07:02:55 AM
This one is tougher than I thought it would be. My first inclination was Victorinox one-handed opening Trekker w/plain edge.

But I decided that a pliers and scissors can be dead useful, even in the field.

My choice is the Victorinox Workchamp:

Scissors for cutting fishing line and maybe fabric for patching something. Five screwdrivers, a metal file/saw, and a pliers for fixing things. A locking blade for safety while cutting all manner of things. This would be on my belt.

I'd also carry a Classic as a lightweight back-up.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 06:54:06 PM
This one is tougher than I thought it would be. My first inclination was Victorinox one-handed opening Trekker w/plain edge.

(Image removed from quote.)

Scissors for cutting fishing line and maybe fabric for patching something. Five screwdrivers, a metal file/saw, and a pliers for fixing things. A locking blade for safety while cutting all manner of things. This would be on my belt.

Smaug, nice idea...I've never really looked at the WorkChamp before...I don't pay much attention to the larger SAKs. 

Now I'll have to look at this one.  Oh jeez, another SAK option...   :ahhh    I already have more knives and tools than I could use in a year... :-\

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 07:13:38 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

The Workchamp does seem like a nice option.

I like to keep slip n snip scissors with any FAK that I would take hiking or camping, so a Rebar would be my choice.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 10:49:24 AM
If I had to choose from what I own it would be my Victorinox German army issue knife.  It doesn't have much as some, but I think it's enough.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 10:52:12 PM
If I had to choose from what I own it would be my Victorinox German army issue knife.  It doesn't have much as some, but I think it's enough.

Seems like very good choice to me :cheers: :like: :like:

us Offline 7.5mas

Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 12:22:22 AM
Backpacking it's usually my Fieldmaster , Skeletool (for the pliers), & Mora 711
Day hiking Fieldmaster and my Mora or Dpx Hest . I rotate my knives , folders
more so than fixed blades , because the folders are part of  my edc .
I just got some alox farmers so they'll be in the mix soon.
:climber:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 01:36:05 AM
ST300 in a pouch on my hip. Style CS in my pocket. I'd likely have a large folder or fixed blade knife if it was a longer hike.
For a short day hike, likely my Skeletool and  Style CS combo.
I'm know a lot of people don't see a need for pliers in the woods but for me, I think they are extremely valuable.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 01:52:15 AM
These days for me, it is a choice of two.

If I do not expect to need any tool at all, and want to keep things lightweight, I might go for the Juice CS4. Despite my annoyances with the quality of the tool as it leaves the factory, I can be refined and improved somewhat, good enough to offer some basic capability for "just in case" on a light hike.

For a more comprehensive toolset, or more demanding jaunt, I'll grab my Fuse-ilier mod, and pair it up with a knife based tool (often a Case Scout Jr in G10) and a stainless fixed blade knife for food prep.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 04:30:46 PM
Swisschamp for me. Every tool I need to repair my kit and fashion tools from junk or natural surroundings. I can sharpen my axe, trim my nails, cut barbedwire and make tent stakes all from my front pocket.
IMG_20160424_092910.jpg
* IMG_20160424_092910.jpg (Filesize: 179.78 KB)
IMG_20160905_081455.jpg
* IMG_20160905_081455.jpg (Filesize: 130.54 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

de Offline Shuya

Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 02:29:02 PM
From the experiences and trips i have done in the last 2 years I took the following. Nothing imaginary. I own a lot of knives, lots of tools. From bulky to tiny, but I somehow carry SAKs on most of my trips:

- 2 weeks backpacking in swedens woods with GF, including tent and stuff + food for 12 days: Vic Trailmaster
- 2 Weeks backpacking with GF, with tent and stuff in the scottish highlands: Vic Craftsman
- 4 days backpacking with tarp and food for all days in german low mountain range: Vic Huntsman
- 4 Days high alpine trekking with sleepovers in huts of the Alpine Club: Vic Deluxe Tinker
- 12 Days Alpine trekking with GF in the alps, sleepovers in Cabins and supplying on the go: Vic Outrider
- two one week climbing trips to south europe (france, spain) with guesthouse sleepovers: Vic Huntsman

Somewhow I never carried a large multitool anywhere besides at home or when I want to do stuff. Too heavy, bulky. And I never carried something on a Belt-Sheath on this tours, when having a backpack with hip belt this is not an option.
I think about taking a Gerber Dime or Leatherman Squirt or something like that for my backpack (maintaining stove, repairing tent and stuff).
And to be honest: On all these trips i have never seen anyone taking something large and heavy with them.
Those who i have seen doing this were only dayhikers with their Maxpedition packs.  :think:

For me those who try to tell you that packweight doesnt matter have never carried a 40 pound pack through a mountain range for more than a week. (And having clothes, tent, stove, water, food for 10+ days, ... weights that much. at least).

I usually go small, so a 91mm Vic is the first choice on a lot of trips (including dayhikes in the mountains). But often I am having lunch with the supplys I take from home (bread, cheese...) and a 111mm SAK is the better choice because bladelength.

When I am home and close to a car or just doing a small walk in the woods I carry more iron stuff with me than when I am 4 dayhikes away from the nearest town.  :ahhh

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 01:37:15 PM
I sometimes make hikes in the swiss alps.
Mostly 3 days 2 nights alone with the biwak tent.
My tool choice is always a 93mm Victorinox Bushcrafter or Solo. And a 58mm Manager.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 05:58:21 PM
I have several i like to choose from

Always accompanied by a fixed blade!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:03 PM
From my latest hike;

Not that you can really tell, but it's a Huntsman. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 08:44:41 PM
Nice everyone!  The Bushcrafter is my pick for overnights or longer, and I like the Hercules for day hikes.  I will usually add something from the fixed blade/folding saw/hatchet category (or all 3 like Gareth :tu:), depending on how much weight I feel like carrying around.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 11:30:30 PM
It's interesting the differences between hiking in various places. Here many people carry no multitool at all, some would carry a SAK, a few may carry a pliers-based multitool, and almost no-one would carry an axe. Cooking is done with gas cookers and the Department of Conservation would probably crucify you if they saw you in the bush with an axe. They have axes at their huts for firewood (for heating). Then there's the weight (mind you I hear of people walking in with a dozen beers).

EDIT: Typo
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:41:11 AM by Syncop8r »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:39 AM
It's interseting the differences between hiking in various places. Here many people carry no multitool at all, some would carry a SAK, a few may carry a pliers-based multitool, and almost no-one would carry an axe. Cooking is done with gas cookers and the Department of Conservation would probably crucify you if they saw you in the bush with an axe. They have axes at their huts for firewood (for heating). Then there's the weight (mind you I hear of people walking in with a dozen beers).

That's the reason I carry a very light axe. :D  In Scotland the rules are more flexible than in the rest of the UK and fires are OK, so long as you aren't a smurf about it.  If there's not much chance of a fire on a particular trip I'll not bother with the axe but I will make sure I've a full tang knife, just in case.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 12:38:56 AM
It's interseting the differences between hiking in various places. Here many people carry no multitool at all, some would carry a SAK, a few may carry a pliers-based multitool, and almost no-one would carry an axe. Cooking is done with gas cookers and the Department of Conservation would probably crucify you if they saw you in the bush with an axe. They have axes at their huts for firewood (for heating). Then there's the weight (mind you I hear of people walking in with a dozen beers).

That's the reason I carry a very light axe. :D  In Scotland the rules are more flexible than in the rest of the UK and fires are OK, so long as you aren't a smurf about it.  If there's not much chance of a fire on a particular trip I'll not bother with the axe but I will make sure I've a full tang knife, just in case.

...and having just made that statement I've remembered that on my last winter hike I only had a Vic Forrester with me as we weren't expecting much of a chance of a fire.  However the opportunity did present itself and the Forrester more than pulled it's weight and the saw definitely did it's job well.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 12:41:24 AM
I often have to walk fences in the deep woods to check them, when I go I bring:

Vic 111mm with saw and OH serrated blade.

Mora fixed blade

Linesman's pliers (fencing is a good way to break LM pliers).

au Offline Gadget

• Aussie in Norway
Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:42 PM
Hi,

I take my Gerber MP600 just about everywhere, the one hand opening is a very big bonus!
(along with my Fallkniven F1 when in the outdoors).

cheers, John :multi:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:08:34 PM by Gadget »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 01:09:22 PM
There days I carry the original super tool and a mora #1  :tu:

Offline brinboise

Reply #51 on: January 28, 2017, 10:19:07 PM
When I'm dual sporting (motorcycle) or backpacking I carry the Gerber Myth folding saw, sharp, compact, light and cuts nearly anything, also my trusty LM Wave.

00 Offline ogrdnet

Reply #52 on: January 29, 2017, 03:39:36 AM
I'll either bring a Victorinox Compact for "ultralight" trips or a Victorinox Huntsman for a bit more whittling in the woods; though both are worthy.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 07:50:14 PM
Mostly this OC Solo and always the black Manager.

(Leo Tolstoy)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #54 on: February 26, 2017, 11:06:12 PM
Either one of these will do just fine. Most likely I'll be carrying both, for fun. I also carry some water, a lighter, and a few snacks apples. Most days I'll be home before dark so I don't really need that much.
DSC04301-fireman.jpg
* DSC04301-fireman.jpg (Filesize: 320.88 KB)
DSC04302-carver.jpg
* DSC04302-carver.jpg (Filesize: 316.55 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:20:09 AM by Ronald Schröder »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:25 AM

Great pics Sneider - Really nice - Shame we don't have that stuff Down Under

Just one query - In the third shot how come the snow is on the lower slopes - But not on the higher ones!!
Just looked at pic again - and....
I think I just worked it out - The lower slopes are always - or mainly in the shadow all day long - whereas the sun shines where you are standing

Four blades Ronald (- or six if you count the saw as a blade)  ??? And maybe one more in the Pioneer (Pruner?)
Is that really necessary ?? !!  :o  I guess, as you say, just for fun  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:04:53 AM by Huntsman »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 06:00:21 AM

Are you quite sure about that?  :pok:
Snow 06-06-12 020.jpg
* Snow 06-06-12 020.jpg (Filesize: 74.5 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:38 AM
I like this one for hiking/outdoors. All I need, nothing I don't!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: February 27, 2017, 05:23:08 PM
The show Alone proved that taking a MT is not only a option but when combined with other tools a good option.  Dave Canterbury also advocates the use of a MT ( plier based ) as part of his tool options. 

Thing is, its really based off what you deem needed or wanted more so your style of hiking/tramping/backpacking.  I understand ultra light and so on so a SAK is a great option in that scenario. 

I like to carry a MT ( plier based ) when out tho not always.  I have brought my Swisstool, Wave, OG Super tool, Spirit, and squirt.   
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:53 PM

Just one query - In the third shot how come the snow is on the lower slopes - But not on the higher ones!!
Just looked at pic again - and....
I think I just worked it out - The lower slopes are always - or mainly in the shadow all day long - whereas the sun shines where you are standing

Thanks!  :cheers:

Um, what is not there in Australia? Mountains? Snow? Fog?  :think:
Here in Switzerland we think Down Under is the paradise.
Once in a lifetime visit australia - this dream has many here.

Correctly, the snow remains longer on shady places.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:06:06 PM by Sneider »
(Leo Tolstoy)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24