Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?
Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:57 PM
Thanks!
Um, what is not there in Australia? Mountains? Snow? Fog?  :think:

Well I reckon all of the above - Although Syncop8r has proved otherwise - Although I don't see a gum tree in that photo - It was probably taken on a trip to Switzerland  :pok:
And of course we do have the Blue Mountains - Which are neither blue nor mountains!! - They really should be called the Green Valleys  ;)
And we also have the Snowy Mountains  - which I believe really do have snow - although I have never been there - so cannot confirm this  :o

Here in Switzerland we think Down Under is the paradise.
Once in a lifetime visit Australia - this dream has many here.
Well many would agree: Sunshine, (lots of it), awesome beaches, the bush, the Outback, stunning flora, beautiful birds and weird but cute animals - kinda the opposite to La Suisse
- Although Marmots have got to be as cute as Koalas !! Well nearly
Also happy people (except Sydney drivers), and nice lifestyle.
Come on Down -  :D - You'll be very welcome.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: March 01, 2017, 03:11:43 PM
Cute animals!  As far as I can tell they're all venomous and/or full of teeth and trying to kill you. :D  Koalas are just biding their time IMO. ;) 

Wouldn't stop me taking a trip down under though. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 04:34:36 AM
Cute animals!  As far as I can tell they're all venomous and/or full of teeth and trying to kill you. :D

Look at the animal in my avatar - it's a Quokka which are Australian. Are you scared of that?  ;)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #63 on: March 02, 2017, 04:47:07 AM
Thanks!
Um, what is not there in Australia? Mountains? Snow? Fog?  :think:

Well I reckon all of the above - Although Syncop8r has proved otherwise - Although I don't see a gum tree in that photo - It was probably taken on a trip to Switzerland  :pok:

Here's a gum tree in the background next to my old house...  :pok:

Remember we're Down-er and Under-er than you.  :D
Snow 06-06-12 004.jpg
* Snow 06-06-12 004.jpg (Filesize: 136.31 KB)

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #64 on: March 02, 2017, 06:50:25 AM
I found myself camping alot more in the summer last year in hot,  humid weather.  Being a bigger guy I found myself wearing lose shorts without a belt.  That's when I fell in love with crkt minimalist bowie. And of course my huntsman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: March 02, 2017, 10:30:09 AM
Cute animals!  As far as I can tell they're all venomous and/or full of teeth and trying to kill you. :D

Look at the animal in my avatar - it's a Quokka which are Australian. Are you scared of that?  ;)

They're in league with the Koalas and are just lulling you into a false sense of security.  Run while you still can! :ahhh

Show content
OK, maybe just a tiny bit cute as well. ;)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #66 on: March 02, 2017, 10:49:55 AM

:like:

Very cute! I had to look it up on WikiPedia. I thought it was a teddy bear!  :)

Offline Mattexian

Reply #67 on: March 05, 2017, 03:54:53 AM
Last time I did a lot of backpacking (in BoyScouts), I carried my Vic Adventurer, 111mm sidelock, when they first came out.  It covered everything I needed back then.
Now I carry a Vic OHT,  and it got plenty of use last time we went car camping, especially in the camp kitchen, opening packages and slicing a slab of bacon.  ;)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

pl Offline PartizaN

Reply #68 on: March 05, 2017, 05:13:06 PM
I always take with me Old Wave- that's my most important tool for all outdoor activities.
Moreover, during my trips accompany me modified SAK TiFarmer and one of my my folding knives, usually small Sebenza 21 insignio or Spyderco Slysz Bowie.

Offline lurkee

Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 04:11:49 AM
A modified wave, the lid of my canteen cup (hafted and sharpened if need be) and a folding saw. This "big knife" thing is the bunk.

Offline Dwest

Reply #70 on: March 18, 2017, 12:19:34 AM
Tool chest plus

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:34 AM
Tool chest plus

Interesting. :tu: Any one tool in particular that you find indispensable?

Offline Dwest

Reply #72 on: March 18, 2017, 01:07:08 AM
Tool chest plus

Interesting. :tu: Any one tool in particular that you find indispensable?

Knife is most used. What I like about it  is its a complete basic tool set with land nav capability that drops in your pocket.

I am still trying to determine indispensable. That's a tough one. In a non urban setting if we throw the knife out of the question I would say the compass, direction finding can be done without it but is more time consuming and prone to error.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:44:36 AM by Dwest »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: December 16, 2019, 05:36:33 AM
Bump!

Curious what people say nowadays. 

Leatherman Juice seems to be popular from what I see outdoors (not necessarily with enthusiasts, or people one this forum, I gather)

My multitool of choice for the outdoors in motion for the better part of the last 30 years is the Victorinox Champion   

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #74 on: December 16, 2019, 12:55:50 PM
Poncho let us know about a great quote from the bush crafter Mors Kochanski who passed away recently...

"The more you know the less you carry"

I would certainy agree with that maxim - And have been told this on courses I have been on
Especially for true backpacking, which for me means a trip of a few days carrying all your stuff (food, tent, clothing, water? etc) on your back,
And also for Alpine/Scottish mountaineering when you have a lot of equipment to carry.

Maybe the Wenger Ueli Steck Titanium should be the carry?  ???

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: December 16, 2019, 03:11:57 PM
As many ultralight backpacking load outs as I've seen I still like a MT ( plier based ) as part of my gear.  It doesn't have to be a Surge so a Juice or even a Squirt is fine by me. 

I have a Swisschamp permanently attached to my pack in an SOS sheath.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: December 16, 2019, 04:50:52 PM
Poncho let us know about a great quote from the bush crafter Mors Kochanski who passed away recently...

"The more you know the less you carry"

I would certainy agree with that maxim - And have been told this on courses I have been on
Especially for true backpacking, which for me means a trip of a few days carrying all your stuff (food, tent, clothing, water? etc) on your back,
And also for Alpine/Scottish mountaineering when you have a lot of equipment to carry.

Maybe the Wenger Ueli Steck Titanium should be the carry?  ???

I totally agree with that maxim.   It applies to backpacking as well as many/most occupations.

I've thought of using the Wenger Ueli Steck, because of the reason you imply.  What stopped me is the hex wrenches - I don't have a single piece of equipment where they would come in handy.  And, I'd have left the bits at home so I wouldn't risk losing them. 

Theres also the Mike Horn Wenger, but there are other similar 130mm models. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 05:17:26 PM
I'd have to say the good old Vic Huntsman still does pretty much everything I want on a day hike and then some. 

I think it often comes down to how genuinely far you are from civilisation, how long you plan to be out and what you are planning to do.  In an emergency you can do a heck of a lot with just a SAK, but a hatchet, knife and folding saw make a multi-night trip and fire pit much easier. :)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #78 on: December 18, 2019, 12:50:35 AM
As many ultralight backpacking load outs as I've seen I still like a MT ( plier based ) as part of my gear.  It doesn't have to be a Surge so a Juice or even a Squirt is fine by me. 

Still don't see why I would need pliers for a backpacking trip.
I've been doing camping/backpacking/hiking for 40+ years and never needed pliers.
I could see that a Squirt (or Vic pliers) may be useful to fix something on a hiking boot, rucksack or a tent pole maybe.

Big style camping (drive to campsite, big tent installation, large cooker etc etc) is another matter !

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: December 18, 2019, 01:04:39 AM
I've been doing camping/backpacking/hiking for 40+ years and never needed pliers.
I could see that a Squirt (or Vic pliers) may be useful to fix something on a hiking boot, rucksack or a tent pole maybe.

Big style camping (drive to campsite, big tent installation, large cooker etc etc) is another matter !

I'd have to agree. 

I just started doing a bit of Big style camping - I noticed I was going back and forth between a 2-layer SAK, a 7-layer SAK, and a lockback ... like a psychopathic fool.  Haven't yet needed the pliers.  My trekking poles have screws that can be hand-tightened, and my backpack has an internal frame that I've never adjusted.  If you're going with friends, glamping is fun!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: December 18, 2019, 05:23:50 AM

:iagree:

I'd have to agree. 

I just started doing a bit of Big style camping - I noticed I was going back and forth between a 2-layer SAK, a 7-layer SAK, and a lockback ... like a psychopathic fool.  Haven't yet needed the pliers.  My trekking poles have screws that can be hand-tightened, and my backpack has an internal frame that I've never adjusted.  If you're going with friends, glamping is fun!
In more recent years, I've been doing more glamping and the added benefit is I get to lug and play with any kind of tools I want.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: December 18, 2019, 04:32:40 PM
I hear y'all.  I love car camping, like comis I get to bring a bag of tools to play with  :climber: :multi:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #82 on: December 18, 2019, 05:24:39 PM
Since my urban EDC is the Explorer and has been for quite some time now, when me and the misses go hiking about (usually only a couple of miles or so) I normally just swap out the Explorer for the Outrider which I think is perfect non-urban EDC based on tool set vs size but once in awhile I may also just go with the Rucksack which doesn't have the scissors.  Again still a great outdoor EDC since I like to have the saw to make a walking stick and it's nice to have a locking blade.

Now that said aside from hike's we go biking so when we do that I add a MT so I have some extra tools if I need to do any maintenance on a bike or whatever!   I don't go camping or really do what I would call true backpacking but hope to do some longer hike's or some backpacking so we will see what I think I may need for that!  Of course I will follow this thread for idea's on what to carry and what not to carry!  :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: December 18, 2019, 05:50:56 PM
Since my urban EDC is the Explorer and has been for quite some time now, when me and the misses go hiking about (usually only a couple of miles or so) I normally just swap out the Explorer for the Outrider which I think is perfect non-urban EDC based on tool set vs size but once in awhile I may also just go with the Rucksack which doesn't have the scissors.  Again still a great outdoor EDC since I like to have the saw to make a walking stick and it's nice to have a locking blade.

Now that said aside from hike's we go biking so when we do that I add a MT so I have some extra tools if I need to do any maintenance on a bike or whatever!   I don't go camping or really do what I would call true backpacking but hope to do some longer hike's or some backpacking so we will see what I think I may need for that!  Of course I will follow this thread for idea's on what to carry and what not to carry!  :)

Those are good choices I'd say.  The 111mm frame adds a usable extra bit to the saw and knife blades.  I've carried my Forester before for exactly the same reason and I'd love to get my hands on a old slide-lock Outrider.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: December 18, 2019, 05:59:35 PM
Those are good choices I'd say.  The 111mm frame adds a usable extra bit to the saw and knife blades.  I've carried my Forester before for exactly the same reason and I'd love to get my hands on a old slide-lock Outrider.

This thread would be good with a poll. Not individual models per se...  rather, sizes of SAK (130. 111. 93, 91mm..., and sizes of MT (full, medium, keyring)

de Offline Shuya

Reply #85 on: December 18, 2019, 06:32:29 PM
As someone who did and does backpacking (in form of having a backpack with all your stuff in the wilderness) a lot there is a clear answer: SAK.
I have never carried and never missed a MT on any backpacking trip.
The only thing I vary is the type of SAK, depending on the circumstances: do I cook? Do I only have snacks?

For example on all my alpine treks I had a Vic Deluxe Tinker with me (which was considered overkill by some friends).
I have "survived" a whole month traveling france (brittany and normandy) with only a Camillus 99, hiked 150km in the alps in 2 weeks with my Outrider, camped in the scottish highlands with a Craftsman, walked in swedish forests with my Forester and so on..
Even on dayhikes or short multiple dayhikes I only carry a SAK of some sort.

Now that I have a daughter (and another baby coming) things have changed a bit and we needed to step down. This years family holidays were spend in a remote cabin in the alps (1,5h of walk from the nearest road, everything including food was carried up to 2000m). On trips like these where I stay put most of the time I take some luxury in tools, a fixed, a SAK and a Tool (Bark River Mini Kephart 3V, Vic Forester and Swisstool Spirit).
But the only knife I carry all the time still is the SAK which covers 99% of cutting jobs, the fixed is for food prep and whittling, the tool is just in case and in most cases never needed...

When soloing in the alps where weight is crucial, I would not dare to take a brick of steel that I will not need. A swisstool for example weights as much as my Ice axe ...

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #86 on: December 18, 2019, 06:56:14 PM

That was my whole purpose of getting an Outrider which I have the slide lock on mine was to use for hiking so I had that extra length of saw and blade which are very handy for sure! 

Since I found a great deal on a Rucksack and seem to use the scissor's on the Outrider this year while out, I am going to put the Rucksack in play next year when hiking and see if I will miss or need the scissors but I don't think I will!  Side note:  The first 25 years or so that I carried the same sak it didn't have scissor's and I survived!  lol

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #87 on: December 18, 2019, 10:39:50 PM
This thread would be good with a poll. Not individual models per se...  rather, sizes of SAK (130. 111. 93, 91mm..., and sizes of MT (full, medium, keyring)
Add one if you like - The buttons at the top should allow you to do this - If you can't do this let me know the precise questions and I will add!
I can adjust the title to say "poll added" as well, which might help.

As someone who did and does backpacking (in form of having a backpack with all your stuff in the wilderness) a lot there is a clear answer: SAK.
When soloing in the alps where weight is crucial, I would not dare to take a brick of steel that I will not need. A swisstool for example weights as much as my Ice axe ...
I  like your choices Shuya - But I like the sound of your trips in the outdoors even more    :pok:    :tu:
And very impressed with the '+child' arrangements   :D

Your ice axe sounds nice and light - I guess it's a glacier hiking axe?  ??? ...... Mine's not too bad
But my ice climbing axes weigh a ton!! They are not very modern!

Do you really solo in the Alps?
Can't say I have ever done that (But have done Winter Scotland soloing).  Isn't that a bit limiting eg No roped up partner for glacier traverses etc
Or is it more lower level stuff?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: December 18, 2019, 11:04:38 PM
Looks like it has to be a new topic in order to post a poll...

I'll set it up.   :)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #89 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:42 PM
OK - Maybe only moderators can add a poll

So up to you ........  If you want one added to this thread post the exact questions below and I will add it - Or set up a new thread

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%