Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Shard- First look

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber Shard- First look
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:58 AM
That's really cool!  :o
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 05:21:03 AM
ahh I've got a pocket prybar and probably a 3 bottle openers and 2 Phillips heads on me at any one time when I'm out, no need for this new Gerber for me.  Still it looks like a great little tool, especially for impulse buys around Christmas I can imagine these things selling well, or packaged with a Gerber knife or full sized tool.

As for Atwood stuff; I'd feel weird carrying a tiny $100 peice of steel on my keys...I almost see them as a pet rock.  People paid for rocks when they could have gone out and picked one up for free (or about $5 in the case of a pocket pry bar)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:25 AM
ahh I've got a pocket prybar and probably a 3 bottle openers and 2 Phillips heads on me at any one time when I'm out, no need for this new Gerber for me.  Still it looks like a great little tool, especially for impulse buys around Christmas I can imagine these things selling well, or packaged with a Gerber knife or full sized tool.

As for Atwood stuff; I'd feel weird carrying a tiny $100 peice of steel on my keys...I almost see them as a pet rock.  People paid for rocks when they could have gone out and picked one up for free (or about $5 in the case of a pocket pry bar)

Oooh, talk like that will get you banned on some sites sir!  :D

(I feel the same way about the Atwood stuff. Its very pretty, but unreasonably expensive) :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:58 PM
Well it's been a few days and I have been using the Shard pretty steadily.  I have yet to try it out on any pry bar tasks, but the screwdriver and bottle opener work fine.  It doesn't have the same leverage as the Artifact or other tools, but I find the jimping to be great at providing a significant increase in grip, so you can afford to put a little extra "oomph" into it to make up for it.  I wish that the Artifact also had similar jimping.

The small pry bars are great for popping off keys on my keyboard for cleaning!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Papacat

Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 06:58:26 PM
Dangnabbit!  Now I'll have to buy both. 

Def, thanks for the preview.  Any idea when it will be available?

-Papacat.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 07:06:55 PM
I still have no info about this one, other than what I've posted here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 06:51:49 PM
Hmmm, I still haven't seen these available anywhere. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 08:55:11 PM
I've yet to see them anywhere other than the one I have.  It's like I faked it or something! :D

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: August 17, 2008, 01:36:36 AM
I've yet to see them anywhere other than the one I have.  It's like I faked it or something! :D

Def

Well I know you aren't that fluent with Photoshop.....did you have your mom do create it for you? :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: August 17, 2008, 08:33:50 AM
Well it either exists or I am taking a much more potent type of acid than usual because it not only feels real but has also performed a few tasks for me, from opening a few drinks to tightening the screw on a doorknob to prying the cardboard back off a shelving unit so I could replace the little bracket that holds up the shelf.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 09:02:12 AM
It took some consideration, but I've decided I like it.

You can send it to me now.

Offline nezza33

Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 01:19:56 PM
Micky,if your looking for a wee tyre iron pick up a county comm pry-bar.
J

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 08:22:02 AM
Nah I really want this one for the rounded edge's to be used as a bicycle tyre iron :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline nezza33

Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:55 PM
Nah I really want this one for the rounded edge's to be used as a bicycle tyre iron :)
I've got a couple spare if you want i can send them to you mate?
J

Reply #44 on: August 23, 2008, 09:13:52 AM
Thanks for the offer mate :), but I'm just looking for an excuse to but a Shard/Artifact ::) :D

Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 08:23:31 AM
Any word on these Shard's yet ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 03:44:03 PM
Not that I've heard.

All's quiet on the Gerber Front, but then they've never been big on communicating with us in the past...

Def

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 04:38:52 PM
That's pretty neat. Although I imagine the Atwood fans are going to be all in a snit about this one too.

No.... It's okay to copy a custom design. That is what this world is coming to. We get so used to buying stuff that is cheaper and to hell with an original design. I hope Gerber puts Peter Atwood out of business so we all can buy crap instead of of quality. Hey.... If it's cheaper it must be okay to steal a design. No respect for the maker or designer.  ::)  Oh well... I'm kind of old skool where I believe that stealing a design is wrong, but i'm in the minority. If you can't afford an Atwood tool, then to heck with Peter Atwood and his designs. He is an evil guy that charges too much for his tools.  :ahhh
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 05:11:40 PM
That's pretty neat. Although I imagine the Atwood fans are going to be all in a snit about this one too.

No.... It's okay to copy a custom design. That is what this world is coming to. We get so used to buying stuff that is cheaper and to hell with an original design. I hope Gerber puts Peter Atwood out of business so we all can buy crap instead of of quality. Hey.... If it's cheaper it must be okay to steal a design. No respect for the maker or designer.  ::)  Oh well... I'm kind of old skool where I believe that stealing a design is wrong, but i'm in the minority. If you can't afford an Atwood tool, then to heck with Peter Atwood and his designs. He is an evil guy that charges too much for his tools.  :ahhh

Glad to see you're coming around! :D

:D :D :D

*snickers*
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 07:33:43 PM

It's already been argued that all keychain bottle openers will look similar more or less, so gerber didn't really stole the design, and their targeted market is so different there won't be any effect on atwood sale.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: October 10, 2008, 07:41:38 PM

It's already been argued that all keychain bottle openers will look similar more or less, so gerber didn't really stole the design, and their targeted market is so different there won't be any effect on atwood sale.

I agree, their market will be for people who don't want to buy an Atwood! With that logic why don't we all buy knock-off Leatherman tools?   :ahhh

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:04 PM
It does not seem that this is hurting Peter Atwood's business one bit.
His stuff still sells out a few nanoseconds after he posts it.

I keep trying,  but I'm never quick enough to get them from Atwood's site.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:52:39 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 08:15:41 PM

I agree, their market will be for people who don't want to buy an Atwood! With that logic why don't we all buy knock-off Leatherman tools?   :ahhh

Exactly the point, Gadget Guy! Those who want the higher quality tool will still buy Leatherman. And people who buy the cheap Chinese knockoffs didn't want to spend that much. As such they're introduced to the concept, and eventually will find the higher end stuff.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 10, 2008, 08:17:00 PM
It does not seem that this is hurting Peter Atwood's business one bit.
His stuff still sells out a few nanoseconds after he posts it.

That's not the point, he deserves success for a unigue design. Again, if it's too expensive don't buy it. I used to have over 100 Atwood tools because I liked and used them. I sold my collection before the prices went crazy and I never made one cent off Mr. Atwood. I don't buy much anymore becasue the prices are crazy, but that doesn't mean I don't wish Peter success. When they Prybaby sold for $35 it was a great deal for a custom made tool. At $60 it is a little too expensive for a keychain tool. No too many Prybabies in the $100 range unless you count idiot-Bay!

BTW, Peter does in fact have a patent on the Prybaby. Too bad he doesn't have one in China.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: October 10, 2008, 08:22:31 PM
BTW, Peter does in fact have a patent on the Prybaby. Too bad he doesn't have one in China.

Don't think it'd help anyway, patents like that are too easy to dance around. :D

And I'd say he has success. More than success. Close to a monopoly on a simple design. I'm all for competitive markets, though.
I think he's had more than enough success, to the point where I'm glad that someone else is producing them.

EDIT: Imagine if the screwdriver never went into production... ::)
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 10, 2008, 08:28:18 PM
I've said my peace in this thread as well, so I have nothing else to say on the subject. You all know where I stand. I don't want to leave multitool.org over my opinion on the Atwood situation. I think a little respect goes a long way and I try and respect everyone regardless of their opinion.

Have a great day!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #56 on: October 10, 2008, 08:30:59 PM
I've said my peace in this thread as well, so I have nothing else to say on the subject. You all know where I stand. I don't want to leave multitool.org over my opinion on the Atwood situation. I think a little respect goes a long way and I try and respect everyone regardless of their opinion.

Have a great day!

I for one am glad you have voiced your opinion.  :)  Like Def said, it wouldn't be much of a forum if we just all agreed with each other.
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 10, 2008, 08:41:09 PM

Have a great day!

I for one am glad you have voiced your opinion.  :)  Like Def said, it wouldn't be much of a forum if we just all agreed with each other.

Aye. Gadget Guy, I'd be more insulted if you didn't wanna share your opinion with us. I don't think you'd ever get banned for it. :think:

I mean, I'm still around aren't I? :D

EDIT: But I guess I never really get emotional when I aruge so.
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #58 on: October 10, 2008, 08:42:48 PM
I mean, I'm still around aren't I? :D

Only just  >:D

Oh and just to clarify, you certainly don't get banned or lynched for expressing your opinion on MTO.  ;)
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: October 10, 2008, 08:44:26 PM
FWIW, I very frequently find my opinions are in the minority -  both here and in real life. The only thing I know is that very few people will ever change their minds over something they read in a forum, so I rarely try. At most, I sometimes speak my piece and then let it drop. More often, I just ignore the thread. Otherwise I would drive myself crazy...  :)

Incidentally, I am not saying that I am right and everyone else is wrong. I am very open to the possibility that I am completely wrong about absolutely everything I believe. In fact, I think I probably am, but what can you do...   :think: :D
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD