Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Shard- First look

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Gerber Shard- First look
Reply #60 on: October 10, 2008, 08:46:17 PM
Just to clarify again, you don't get banned or lynched for being wrong either.  That's how Mike is still here.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 10, 2008, 08:49:36 PM
EDIT: But I guess I never really get emotional when I aruge so.

When dyslexics argue it's just funny...  ;) :D
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #62 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:55 PM
EDIT: But I guess I never really get emotional when I aruge so.

When dyslexics argue it's just funny...  ;) :D

Sthu up! It's not fnuny! I'ts a sreiuos conidtion! ;_;
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: October 10, 2008, 09:08:34 PM
I've said my peace in this thread as well, so I have nothing else to say on the subject. You all know where I stand. I don't want to leave multitool.org over my opinion on the Atwood situation. I think a little respect goes a long way and I try and respect everyone regardless of their opinion.

Have a great day!

Heh don't worry about it, unlike some forums out there we can have an argument without ending up in flames and bannings, and go back to being buddies after.

But my point is atwood isn't exactly a unique design to begin with. Look at this pic of keychain bottle opener I have that's probably from the 50's, I'd say it's about as similar to atwood, as gerber is to atwood.
DSCN1606.jpg
* DSCN1606.jpg (Filesize: 29.62 KB)

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 10, 2008, 09:10:43 PM
I want it! I WANT A MIDGET! :pok:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #65 on: October 10, 2008, 09:12:40 PM
We are off topic here. How about going back to talking about the Shard.  :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14:51 PM
I'd rather have a midget than a shard... :-[

EDIT: In all seriousnessity though... why is the Shard a ghost tool?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:19:28 PM by One Lame Frog »
Got those frog legs.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #67 on: October 11, 2008, 06:02:30 AM
I agree, their market will be for people who don't want to buy an Atwood!

Or it could be people who don't want to damage the finish on their beautiful Atwoods by using them to actually pry something.

I have 2 Atwoods,  almost regard them more as jewelry than tools.

R

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: October 15, 2008, 05:18:09 AM
Gadget Guy just take a moment and relax

I know of a similar incident with a tool I use quite frequently

Maybe it will help you put it into perspective  ;)

Most of you probably don't know what a Hubbard Brick Jointer is but it is a barrel type jointer that a man 100 years old when he died invented 40 or 50 years ago his son owns the business now

here's a link to anyone interested probably not many ::) http://www.hubbardjointers.com/company.htm

Another masonry tool company (Marshalltown ::) ) ask for his design to see if they could market it for him

make a long story short he never heard from them again and not to long after that a similar if not a dead rip-off of the tool came out from guess where ( China)

the tool is only about 5 dollars cheaper but of far less quality  :-[

but here's my main point since you wouldn't hardly ever or ever use this tool would you pay 18 for the real or 13 for the knock-off

sadly most pick the knock-off  :twak: it makes me about as mad about it as the Atwood copies make you

but you probably wouldn't think as much of this copy as the Atwoods because you wouldn't use the said tool

So I wouldn't worry to much about it if I were you the ppl that buy the Atwoods are still gonna buy them and the ones who buy the Shard are gonna buy them.

But I can relate where you are coming from  ;)

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 11:39:46 PM
If you GOOGLE "gerber shard" the first three items that appear is Multitool.org.  :o   

That's pretty cool I know that guy. ;) :D

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008, 04:33:15 AM
I think the Shard and the Atwood can coexist peacefully in this world. Heck, I want both, for different reasons.

Now, I have an Artifact, but where the heck can I get a Shard?

Also, I understand the Atwood philosophy behind their limited, hand made works of tool art, but it surely wouldn't kill him to do a couple hundred machine shop run. I'd get one at $20-30 bucks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:40:14 AM by gafftapegreenia »
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: November 20, 2008, 12:58:50 PM
I think the Shard and the Atwood can coexist peacefully in this world. Heck, I want both, for different reasons.

Also, I understand the Atwood philosophy behind their limited, hand made works of tool art, but it surely wouldn't kill him to do a couple hundred machine shop run. I'd get one at $20-30 bucks.

But why would he need to do that?  Look at it from Peters point of view, everything he makes sells pretty much instantly at the prices he is asking for.  He has no need to do to do a machine run.

Also, like you said, part of the attraction is the limited hand made element, if you aren't interested in that then the Shard and the Artifact fit the bill.
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: November 20, 2008, 01:24:48 PM
This thread's title should be changed...

Gerber Shard- First (and last) look

=(
Got those frog legs.

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #73 on: November 21, 2008, 12:32:09 AM

But why would he need to do that?  Look at it from Peters point of view, everything he makes sells pretty much instantly at the prices he is asking for.  He has no need to do to do a machine run.

Also, like you said, part of the attraction is the limited hand made element, if you aren't interested in that then the Shard and the Artifact fit the bill.

Or the MLCT Crony....i hear thats the hottest thing on the market  ::)  [/shameless plug]  Seriously though, in the 20-30 dollar range, take a look at the review(s) of the MLCT Crony in the next couple weeks to see if you'd be interested!

-Dough
W

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: November 21, 2008, 02:14:59 AM
This thread's title should be changed...

Gerber Shard- First (and last) look

=(

That's funny :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #75 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:54 AM
BIG BUMMMMP.

Any info on this little pry tool? I'm not into lotteries but have been wanting to pick up a little tool like this. Is this thing vapor or still on track?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #76 on: December 31, 2008, 03:04:45 AM
BIG BUMMMMP.

Any info on this little pry tool? I'm not into lotteries but have been wanting to pick up a little tool like this. Is this thing vapor or still on track?

Seconded! I actually have an Atwood Prybaby thingummy on the way, but I suspect I'll be afraid to scratch it up. The Shard looks like what I really want, i.e. functional and cheap! I haven't seen one anywhere yet  ???
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: December 31, 2008, 06:31:05 AM
BIG BUMMMMP.

I've heard nothing new about it :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: December 31, 2008, 05:49:45 PM
BIG BUMMMMP.

Seconded! I actually have an Atwood Prybaby thingummy on the way, but I suspect I'll be afraid to scratch it up. The Shard looks like what I really want, i.e. functional and cheap! I haven't seen one anywhere yet  ???

Atwoods make great EDC items for us Brits.  :)  Don't make it a drawer Queen!  :ahhh
I'm back!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:24 AM
I couldn't quite see from the picture but will one of the prybar ends work as in a slotted screw?  Thanks.

sean

btw, I like it!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #80 on: August 18, 2009, 05:23:55 AM
I couldn't quite see from the picture but will one of the prybar ends work as in a slotted screw?  Thanks.

sean

btw, I like it!
If it's the same as the Artifact (and i believe it is) then yes :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #81 on: August 18, 2009, 06:16:51 AM

sean

btw, I like it!

If it's the same as the Artifact then yes! It has two different size slotted drivers if my memory serves me right.
B

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: August 18, 2009, 06:06:36 PM
I'm still hoping to get one or two of these   ;)

Anyone else reckon it looks like a seal pup  :D

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: August 18, 2009, 06:41:42 PM
if I can safely figure out a way I'd like to get a piece of cord and wear this around my neck.  I will hopefully be able to get one when they arrive.

Offline damota

Reply #84 on: August 20, 2009, 01:17:16 PM
How great is that!?!  :)  I have been saying for a while now how I would like to remove the blade from the artifact in order to make it legal EDC in the UK.  Looks like there is a better solution.  :)

FWIW You could be prosecuted under a different law even with no blade if a keen copper stopped you. Have you heard of 'a burglars friend' this is any small implement that can be used as a pry bar to force entry to a door, drawer or anything else that could assist in a burglary. The offense is called 'going prepared for burglary' or 'tooled up' in crime slang. Once on their data base you will have police pestering you any time there is a burglary in your area or what the police call your area

Dave

Offline damota

Reply #85 on: August 20, 2009, 01:33:24 PM
It's an interesting thought though- how far would we go for quality, or a Made in the USA label?

The Shard is a Chinese manufactured tool, but it has no moving parts.  It's a slab of solid steel with some fancy cutouts and some black paint.  I am guessing it will retail for around £6.04 ($10)-15.
In other words a mass produced item with all the fflws mass production can toss up no matter how good the Q/C is.
The Prybaby is US made, has no moving parts, is solid steel (or titanium) and has some fancy cutouts and occasionally some kind of coloring, and I rarely see them for much less than £36 ($60), and often around £60 ($100).
Not only US made but an original design made by a crafts man on a almost one to one basis. Not realy any comparison.
We often berate the "cheap Asian knockoffs" around here, and yet here we are appreciating a Chinese manufactured tool that could be construed as a copy of a respectable US brand.  It seems so unlike us that I have to wonder a) where we draw the line and b) are Atwoods thought that lowly of amongst people who actually carry and use tools instead of people who buy them for collection/investment?

Vellly intulestink....

Def

In fact I would rather have had a Swiss Bianco designed prybar that he was on about a year or so back but I could not afford one at the time.

Dave

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: August 20, 2009, 04:30:53 PM
How great is that!?!  :)  I have been saying for a while now how I would like to remove the blade from the artifact in order to make it legal EDC in the UK.  Looks like there is a better solution.  :)

FWIW You could be prosecuted under a different law even with no blade if a keen copper stopped you. Have you heard of 'a burglars friend' this is any small implement that can be used as a pry bar to force entry to a door, drawer or anything else that could assist in a burglary. The offense is called 'going prepared for burglary' or 'tooled up' in crime slang. Once on their data base you will have police pestering you any time there is a burglary in your area or what the police call your area

Dave

Good point  :tu:, but it really would be a pathetic world if anyone regarded the tiny Shard as a burglary tool.  I suppose you could get done for stealing paint from tins.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: August 20, 2009, 05:54:13 PM
Good point  :tu:, but it really would be a pathetic world if anyone regarded the tiny Shard as a burglary tool.  I suppose you could get done for stealing paint from tins.  :D

Or breaking into dolls houses ;)  "Ken, Ken, ring the police we've been broken in to" :P

If you have a habit of hanging round car parks with your hood up over your baseball cap I can see this might be an issue.  I'm not sweating it :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: August 20, 2009, 05:59:35 PM
If you have a habit of hanging round car parks with your hood up over your baseball cap I can see this might be an issue.  I'm not sweating it :D

But that's my favorite pasttime! =(
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: September 13, 2009, 04:49:29 PM
You can pre order Shards here http://www.rockynational.com/6075_22-01769_Gerber_Shard.html 4.95 each with 2.50 US shipping. Shipping Feb 2010
Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD