Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Restrapping an old friend

Whoey · 16 · 1068

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Restrapping an old friend
on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:53 PM
Some of you may recognize this watch, I have taken photos of it in the past with many a multitool in the past. It was gifted to me, by some guy I know whose name starts with a G and ends with a rant. It has become my daily wear for quite some time (alternating from time to time with my Seiko 5). What is not shown is that the velcro on the original strap has for some time been less "grippy" if you know what I mean, and after two instances where it literally flew off my wrist I decided it was long past time to replace the aging strap. As you can see I opted for a olive green NATO style with flat black hardware strap, I wasn't sure how well it would work out seeing as how I have a somewhat small wrist, but I wanted a full wrap around band as if anything were to go wrong (such as the times it flew off my wrist and I felt/rescued it immediately)  I have a better chance of saving it. Plus now with no velcro to fail it's unlikely I'll have such a chance at catastrophic failure as it had in the past. Here's hoping it stays put for at least a few more years!

yes, I probably should have used a better camera... it was my tablet.  :facepalm:
20171121_211603_Richtone(HDR).jpg
* 20171121_211603_Richtone(HDR).jpg (Filesize: 102.01 KB)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Restrapping an old friend
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:31:28 PM
Great to see that old beast still ticking!

Years ago someone had posted a sale on those watches and I bought several of them and over the years gave the extras away as gifts- or so I thought.  Turns out I have given them all away!  :D

It's great to see they are still getting used, and I am glad to see yours getting a new life with a new, safe and secure strap.  I have lost too many watches over the years when a pin broke and I didn't notice it all off my wrist, so I tend to prefer watch bands that hold securely no matter what.  My first NATO band pretty much made it so that was what 99% of my watches were going to wear in the future- they are inexpensive, good looking and, more importantly, if a pin breaks, they hold the watch to your wrist.

I also like The Band, a long strip of Velcro that holds a watch on extremely securely as well.  You can see it on my Victorinox Original watch:

I also like the wide band style watch straps- they will come loose, but not as easily as a standard band.

But you can't beat a NATO band.  My Orange Monster and MTO ZA1 live on NATO bands, and so did my original Pebble before it completely bit the dust.

At any rate, I look forward to hearing about that watch treating you right for many years to come!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 03:22:44 PM
Nice strap Whoey :like: I use to wear a watch on my wrist many moons ago but I fell out of the habit and opt now for a clip watch :D Hope you get many more years of service from that watch :tu: :like:

us Offline VictorLouis

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:58:06 AM
A nice 3-ring zulu is on my go-to daily wearer.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:42:14 AM
Nice strap   :like:

I use a 3 ring on my g-shock. The thing I like about the nato straps is, as they stretch a little over time or get little frays, a quick waft over with a lighter shrinks them back a little and also removes any frays. Plus you can wash them easily as well to keep them soft.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:27:04 AM
Overall I'm happy with the replacement, I do like the ease of the old velcro strap, but the fear of losing the watch is always a concern on worn velcro... whereas with the new one it will stay put unless both pins simultaneously explode, which is highly unlikely.

The only thing that's a tad odd is that there seems to be an extra loop which I have no idea why it exists, and since they are solid loops they take up a lot more space than the flatter versions like on Grants MTO submariner replica.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 12:24:11 PM
I believe the extra loop (5 ring strap) is to stop the watch moving/slipping around the strap like they do a bit with the 3 ring ones.  I'd like a 5 ring for mine, but the nato adapters on the gshock make it to long for one, and puts excess force on the adapters.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 11:44:16 PM
Overall I'm happy with the replacement, I do like the ease of the old velcro strap, but the fear of losing the watch is always a concern on worn velcro... whereas with the new one it will stay put unless both pins simultaneously explode, which is highly unlikely.

The only thing that's a tad odd is that there seems to be an extra loop which I have no idea why it exists, and since they are solid loops they take up a lot more space than the flatter versions like on Grants MTO submariner replica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3iAcc94E0

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 01:47:14 AM
that's pretty much how it is, and how I wear it, but there are 2 loops on the end of the "extra flap"

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:36:35 AM
This explains how to wear the 5-ring zulu...

https://youtu.be/EaKyBTcGIUQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:59:32 AM
I use a one piece military strap for my f-91w.. I've had natos in the past and They are too loose on my small wrists.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:51 PM
This explains how to wear the 5-ring zulu...

https://youtu.be/EaKyBTcGIUQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, that must be how it should be, but due to the extra outer ring/reinforcement part of the lug it doesn't work so well... you can see what I mean in this photo (not mine, but same watch/original strap in yellow)

I may have to swap straps with my seiko for sanity.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 02:42:16 PM
I know this doesn't help, but it looks pretty sharp in yellow/black!   :tu:

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 03:15:45 PM
I know this doesn't help, but it looks pretty sharp in yellow/black!   :tu:

Def
I know, when I was trying to find an exact replacement I found the yellow highlight version and thought it was pretty sharp looking... I would have considered it if one had been available, and not at a price that was more than the watch was worth originally...

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 02:51:17 AM
I really :like: Nato straps and have them on all my watches, except for my G-Shocks and my "dress" Seiko 5 (it has a charcoal perlon). Light and very comfortable, and they come in a zillion colours. I like the olive green most. :tu: Works great with black dials. I also like simple black and grey striped Bond ones.

I find the extra flap tends to add bulk and raise the watch too high on my wrist. Unless the watch slides around the strap too easily, I cut it off and seal the remaining stub with a cigarette lighter.

They wash up easily. Biff them in the washing machine strapped to a belt loop. It's better to do this more often than not, as they can get quite stiff and smelly!
Rambler

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 01:24:16 AM
I just put this Maratac 16 mm one piece Mil Series grey strap on my F-91w. I had an 18 mm one piece strap on it before and that was a tight squeeze around the bars. The 16 mm seems like a better fit. In the light, the grey looks more along the lines of a green. I ordered the strap from County Comm and it is very thick, good quality and very comfortable.  :like:
1220172156_resized.jpg
* 1220172156_resized.jpg (Filesize: 161.92 KB)
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD