Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm in the smart watch club now

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Re: I'm in the smart watch club now
Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 03:45:19 PM

Bought one of the coolest gadgets ever today!!!

Apple Watch Sports 38 mm…

(Image removed from quote.)
well I'm green with envy. That's cool! Do anything cool with it?

I can control my home automation system with it now…

What is automated in your home or what can be automated? If you don't mind me asking.

Nate
That's us mobile

All my lights, doorbel, door sensors, camera's.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 03:51:33 PM
Cool! I just have a dog. He watches the farm for me. He does clean the dishes though. Licks them clean. Nothing left when he gets done. Use him for that all the time for the guess dinner plates and silverware. Doesn't turn the light on and off though......

Nate
That's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 03:57:27 PM

...and so can that pimply faced hacker kid in Cheboygan, Michigan... :pok:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 05:16:15 PM
I'm constantly brushing/scraping the face of my watch against things so I'm not so sure how long the Apple watch would last for me. Especially given its touch-screen can't be all that scratch-resistant/durable.

Not meaning to poop on yours in any way, I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it!
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 05:19:42 AM

...and so can that pimply faced hacker kid in Cheboygan, Michigan... :pok:

I live in Kenosha, WI, and I am not a kid!    :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 01:16:01 PM
Somebody else here who wears an Apple Watch?
What do you think of it?

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:13 PM
Received my white sport band today…

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:54 AM

Looking good 8) Enjoy!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 09:27:18 PM
I'm bringing this back up as I may be in the market for a new smart watch, and I think I might be avoiding Pebble in the future.  Just a bit over a year after I received this watch, a software update seems to have killed it.  After posting the problems I was having on their forum I was told to contact their tech support, who basically asked me if I'd tried turning it off and on again.  :moss:

They actually suggested that perhaps I had too much info stored in it that was causing the repeated crashes, and suggested I should try deleting some software.  As I only had a couple of things installed, I figured what the heck and removed them, but that didn't solve the problem.  So, I replied to them that the problem was not yet solved, and they asked me to hang on for a couple of days while they worked on a solution.  This is the email I got about an hour ago:

Hello Grant,

Thank you for your email. Sorry to hear about the issues with your watch. From your description in your forum post, it doesn't sound like we're able to troubleshoot the issue. Unfortunately, we can't offer you a replacement unit as the warranty period has expired. For details about warranty coverage please visit: https://www.pebble.com/legal/warranty

While we can't replace your Pebble under warranty in this circumstance, we can offer you a discount on the purchase of a new watch. If you are interested, let us know and we will provide you with a promotional link for 25% off any non sale-priced items on our website. Thank you for your understanding.
Best,

As you can see by the original date on this thread, I am not quite a month over the warranty period, and since the issue was caused by their software update, Dear Ol' Def isn't a happy camper.  So, I sent this message back to them:

Hello,

I appreciate your email, however, I have to say that I am very unimpressed with the response from Pebble.  As this issue appears to have been caused by a software update, I really don't feel as if this failure is my responsibility.  Also, as the watch is barely over a year old, this seems pretty close to the end of the warranty service that I would think a little bit of good faith would be in order.

If I am forced to purchase another smart watch, I assure you it won't be a Pebble.

Too bad too, as I'd been looking at their newest Pebbles and I kind of liked both the Pebble 2 and the Time 2 and had thought about buying one.  Now I guess I'll start looking elsewhere... the Fitbit Blaze looks pretty interesting and does pretty well everything I was using my Pebble for- and more.

A 25% gift certificate for something they broke with an update, that is barely out of warranty.... that seems like an awful slap in the face to me, but maybye I'm just spoiled by all the good customer service I get from companies that like their customers.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 03:11:47 PM
That sucks.

Also :td: to Pebble for not owning that mistake and making it right.

I have no interest in smart watches (prefer my G-Shocks and Pro Treks) but will avoid Pebble if I ever change my mind.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 03:59:04 PM
Yeah, I'm not happy.

My parents are serious gadget people as well- my father and brother both have the same Pebble, and the last update is causing screen distortions for them, a problem I had leading up to the last update.  The update solved my problem and created it for theirs.  Then I developed a whole new problem....  :ahhh

My father also has an Apple watch and he thinks it's great, but for the money he doesn't want to wear it while working around the yard, chopping, splitting or piling wood, mowing the lawn, digging up and replacing sprinklers etc, which is a problem because that is what he really needs the watch for as he is severely hearing impaired, and he will notice the buzz on his wrist long before he hears anything.  Mom has a Samsung Gear watch, the original, and is sticking with it because she had the Gear 2 and returned it due to connectivity issues.

They insist that the best of the bunch has been the Pebble Classic, like mine, but this kind of thing is really going to drop the rating for Pebble, at least in my family, for whatever that is worth.  Considering my parents have at least a dozen tablets kicking around the house, and are responsible for at least twice that in tablet and accessory sales among my aunts, uncles, cousins etc (my parents are the people everyone else calls when they have problems, questions etc) they are probably not the types of consumers you want to upset. 

But, I suppose I can buy a G Shock or Seiko 5 for what a Pebble Classic costs, and have a heck of a lot more options for what I was thinking about spending on a new Pebble.  I'm certainly not going to spend $200+ on a watch that will only live for 13 months.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 08:51:33 PM
There has been a new development.  I will update when I can.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 01:37:20 PM
As I said above, there is an update to this.

After Megan made a comment on a certain birdlike social media outlet requesting info on other smart watches since I'd had bad luck with my Pebble and the associated Customer Service people, Pebble's marketing people sprung to life and requested more info about my problem.  After jumping through a few hoops for them (photographing the watch, providing the serial number etc) they are sending me a new watch.

And, in fact, they are upgrading me to the Pebble Time which adds a color screen and a microphone for voice command.   :tu:

I am happy they are doing this, because quite honestly I was pretty darned upset about this.  I mean, even though I didn't pay for it (gift from my parents as I was the only one in my family without a smarsmurfch!) it is still a hundred dollar watch, which, quite honestly makes it one of the most expensive watches in my stable, and it seems to me that it should last for more than a year.  My other, mostly cheaper watches are all still going strong, except perhaps for the odd dead battery here and there.

[Ungrateful smurf] While I may be very happy that I am getting a new and upgraded watch, I feel that this is something that customer service should have addressed and not the marketers who only got involved because someone embarrassed them on Twitter.  I'm not a "squeaky wheel" type, and I think a customer with a legitimate problem should be looked after and shouldn't have to resort to making public comments to get what they want.  In some ways this is annoying me more than if I had just let it die and moved on.  I wanted a resolution, but not like this, and I feel it is unfair to other customers who may have been hung out to dry by customer service. [/ungrateful smurf]

Desoite the above, I'm looking forward to the arrival of the new watch.  I've been wearing other watches since the Pebble died and I still find myself glancing at my watch whenever I get a text or email, only to find out the ZA1 doesn't seem to care about texts....

I got an email yesterday saying it was sent, and I'll be sure to update this thread (with pictures!) when it arrives.

Def

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 05:54:25 PM
I understand your disappointment even though you are getting a new watch. Who wants to buy from a company where it requires public complaining on social media to get satisfaction when there is a problem? Not exactly a fan myself of companies where one has to find the proper way to raise hell to get proper customer service.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 06:10:32 PM
I understand your disappointment even though you are getting a new watch. Who wants to buy from a company where it requires public complaining on social media to get satisfaction when there is a problem? Not exactly a fan myself of companies where one has to find the proper way to raise hell to get proper customer service.

+1

Well said. :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 08:09:33 PM
Almost three weeks have gone by since I got the shipping notice for my replacement Pebble, and still no sign of it.  I have called DHL (and spoke to a half dozen different offices in a half dozen different cities I'm sure) and they have no record of it.

I've sent another message off to Pebble to let them know that I am still waiting on the watch.  I'm starting to get somewhat annoyed, although I suppose losing it in transit isn't Pebble's fault, but it is one more thing to be annoyed about in this situation.

Def

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 18, 2016, 08:17:03 PM
Never had a good experience with DHL. Always late and/or package arrives in rough shape. Their tracking is garbage too. :td:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:14 PM
I sent a message to Pebble and their answer was basically "wait some more."

Guess I'll just sit here and wait....

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 07:39:27 PM
The wait is over!

My new Pebble Time just arrived, and I haven't done much with it yet since it is Charging, but so far I think I like it.  The color, if nothing else, sure makes it nice to look at, and that G Shock face is apparently also in color.  :D

Other than having a color screen, the Pebble Time apparently also takes voice commands, so I can look like Dick Tracy having a conversation with my wrist.... except that Dick Tracy was more advanced than I am since his watch also talked back to him.

I'm not sure what else to look forward to, but I certainly intend to put it through the wringer.  The original Pebble (now called the Pebble Classic) was a lot tougher than I think anyone gave it credit for, and I was annoyed that the software update was it's downfall.  I am hoping the Time is just as sturdy in the physical world, and better able to handle the digital one.

Def

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 07:45:47 PM
Other than having a color screen, the Pebble Time apparently also takes voice commands, so I can look like Dick Tracy having a conversation with my wrist.... except that Dick Tracy was more advanced than I am since his watch also talked back to him.

Do you have the matching trenchcoat and hat? :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 01:12:42 AM
No, but I have a padded, floating orange jumpsuit, does that count?

I have to say that I really like the voice command on this.  I can respond to text messages, emails and Hangouts chats by simply pressing a couple of buttons and saying what I want to respond with and it sends them.

I also like the fact that I can compose text messages with this one.  On the Classic, you can only reply to "fresh" messages that have just come in.  Once you have scrolled past it, it's still in the watch, but you can no longer respond to it.  On the Pebble Time you can respond to them any time, which means that if I want to send someone a message without pulling out my phone I just pull up an old message I got from them and respond to it.

Also, I can select the pattern and intensity of the vibration on this, so I can have one vibration pattern for emails, one for alarms, one for text messages etc so I know what it is buzzing me about so I can decide if it is worth turning my wrist slightly to look at it. 

Def

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:24 AM
And after this post, no one bought a smarsmurfch?

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 08:12:57 PM
I thought I'd also chime in here (again)...

Last year I tried an Apple watch for a couple of months and I'm sad to say the affair didn't last beyond that. My wife and I both tried an Apple watch in fact, and to this day they both sit in the laundry room in disrepair - they simply will not take or hold a charge. THAT was a waste of $$$ and lesson learned.

The moral of the story, is a nice Casio G can be had for much, much less money and will hold up and last much, much longer.

Apple watch :td: :td:
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:19 PM

I have two now... does that count?  :D

I still have the Pebble Talk, but my regular watch now is a Samsung Gear- the original, not any of the newer, cooler, more recent versions.

Def

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
I'm in the smart watch club now
Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 09:53:43 AM
Bought the Apple Watch Series 3 Nike+ a couple of weeks ago.
I love it!!! A huge upgrade from the Series 0.
Batterylfe is great (still 70% when I go to bed) and it’s waterproof.
Ofcourse much faster then the previous model.

Don’t want any other watch anymore.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 02:33:10 PM
I think mine is retarded. All it will do is tell time and find north.  :P

At least I never have to change the battery.
20171031_092829_1024x1024.jpg
* 20171031_092829_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 71.06 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:17 PM
Are there any good 'apps' for that Nate?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 03:48:12 PM
Are there any good 'apps' for that Nate?
Not sure Mags. I can't find the USB plug in yet or the button for Bluetooth.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:52:31 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 03:51:40 PM

I have two now... does that count?  :D

I still have the Pebble Talk, but my regular watch now is a Samsung Gear- the original, not any of the newer, cooler, more recent versions.

Def

What's battery life like on it?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 04:03:16 PM

Nah I'll not bother, unless Casio make a good G-shock version I'll steer clear, I don't want a watch to turn my TV on as got a remote for that, lights ,well I can just stand up and switch them on, it's bad enough having a smart phone let alone a watch to anoy me and give me constant updates to interfear with my life  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%