Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Next gen Swisstool, what do we want from it?

nl Offline anditsgone

Next gen Swisstool, what do we want from it?
on: May 02, 2015, 08:52:19 PM
Title says it all.

I would like needle nose pliers just like leatherman, therefore they have to make more room in socket where the plier rests in.
And i want a detachable pocket clip.

If they would improve that this would be the ultimate MT and a leatherman killer.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Next gen Swisstool, what do we want from it?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:13:38 PM
Upgraded pliers with replaceable cutters, that's all I want  ;).

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:03 PM
One-handed opening blade, please...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:12:45 PM
Like Top Gear said I would like replaceable wire cutters. Maybe make the tools a little easier to dig out. Besides that its perfect in my mind.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:59 PM
I want what I've always wanted....A Juice sized Spirit   :drool:

Ideally, I'd like my juice sized spirit to have versatile pliers, I've always liked the style Sog used on their early CrossGrip

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 114.51 KB)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:04:58 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:34:56 PM
Swisstool rather than Spirit? Spirit style handles with pocket clip and sensible lanyard attachment point.
Same pliers, same scissors, same awl, blade, saw ... (I'll only be bothered about an X model)
Get the file as aggressive as the Spirit on the cross-cut side. Adopt the angled chisel of the Spirit.
Keep the indexable Allen key / hex bit wrench, but stow it in the sheath at the side of the tool rather than the back, so the sheath is less of a housebrick on the belt

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 10:47:16 PM
Swisstool rather than Spirit? Spirit style handles with pocket clip and sensible lanyard attachment point.
Same pliers, same scissors, same awl, blade, saw ... (I'll only be bothered about an X model)
Get the file as aggressive as the Spirit on the cross-cut side. Adopt the angled chisel of the Spirit.
Keep the indexable Allen key / hex bit wrench, but stow it in the sheath at the side of the tool rather than the back, so the sheath is less of a housebrick on the belt

So make the spirit bigger with the better scissors and blade?

That's what I was thinking, but then I like the butter blade  :think:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:06:56 AM

Ideally, I'd like my juice sized spirit to have versatile pliers, I've always liked the style Sog used on their early CrossGrip

I actually wrote Victorinox about a Juice size and Micra sized Swisstool a while back.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 12:35:28 AM

So make the spirit bigger with the better scissors and blade?

That's what I was thinking, but then I like the butter blade  :think:

Personally I don't need the Spirit to be any bigger than it is, but for the purposes of updating the Swisstool, absolutely!
I'd still like to see a pocket clip, sensible lanyard point, and a revised sheath though  :)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 12:41:50 AM
Funny that a lanyard has never bothered me before but now I seem to need them on everything
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:47:59 AM
I don't often need them myself Mark, but when I do, I don't expect them to be halfway up the bloody handle ::) :P

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 04:12:25 AM
I would love them to make the lockup on the swisstool as solid as they did for the spirit. Also giving it needle nose pliers would be cool to  :multi:

gb Offline pingu

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 11:50:47 AM
Answering from a Spirit perspective as I doubt I'll ever have a Swisstool unless they use Titanium to make it lighter  :pok:

Fully blunting, removing the blade and adding a lanyard attachment has for me transformed the tool, so perhaps a knifeless fully blunt-nose Swisstool?  Or at most a small non-locking whittling blade.  I prefer the Spirit spring arm scissors over spring leaf.  IMHO unreasonably maligned for size.

I will malign the dimensionally challenged cutters however.  So replaceable cutters without a soft-wire notch because replaceable cutters can always be made to pass closely, the key to cutting soft wire.

I'd like to see the addition (not file replacement) of a diamond coated file.  I'd put the blade, saw and chisel into a multi-model sacrifice to make room.  A sort of town and country choice.  Not sure if that translates  :think:

All that said I'm so happy with my current modded Spirit that I can't see any prospect of purchasing a next gen Swisstool.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:51:49 AM by pingu »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
Spirit:

1) Another vote for one-hand opening blade! :gimme:  I understand it might have something to do with various local law, but given the volume Victorinox is making, won't it be possible to make some with the OHO hole?

2) Just transplant the 91mm scissors into Spirit, and get rid of that silly scissors-lookalike

Swisstool

1) Same thing, an OHO blade?

2) Better tolerance and less play.  Victorinox products are well known for its precision and quality, but most Swisstool I have played with do have some play in individual tool.

For both Spirit and Swisstool:

Possibility of making an adapter for 1/4" hex bit tool, just like LM juice?  (I know it kinda fit, but still love to see one from Vic themselves)  :pok:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:40:42 PM by comis »

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 07:35:53 PM
And make one diamond coated side of the file and one regular side.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 04:47:36 AM
For me, mainly a needlenose plied version, with improved wire cutters.  They can be the replaceable type, or the normal LM style.  Either one would be much better.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline ace19636

Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:40 PM
One handed blade and replaceable cutters

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 12:36:14 PM
Only have a Spirit X, so...

- Longer, bigger one handed blade
- Bit driver
- And toothpick/tweezers  >:D

Open minded on the smaller variants suggested too - especially if some or all of the locking can be retained.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 05:49:57 PM
Oe hand opening blade wouldnt be hard to put in the swisstool, put the knife on the left side, drill a hole in it, put a tumb stud in it and grind a cut out in de body. But the are probably haven't done this because in some country the knife is not allowed to be openend with one hand, but most of the time the lock isn't allowed either.
It does look much friendlier than a leatherman wave for example.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 07:42:00 PM

me too tosh  :salute: loved the juice size but would like the vic smoothness  :tu: plus a non locking uk friendly blade :tu:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:43:10 PM by Zed »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 07:44:35 PM
If my SwissTool had pliers like my BN ST300, it would be perfect! :dd:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 07:48:08 PM

me too tosh  :salute: loved the juice size but would like the vic smoothness  :tu: plus a non locking uk friendly blade :tu:

I would also like to see two Vic explorer size handles with a decent plier in between with the victorinox quality. That would probably make the Swissarmy MT ( it has a name) also an option for people like me where pliers are one of the biggest points of an MT. The standard Swissarmy pliers aren't good enough. That is one reason why i never bought a Swiss army knife
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:49:10 PM by anditsgone »

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 10:56:00 AM
A multitool the size of the Leatherman PS4 would be nice. Spring loaded mini pliers with the manager's blades would be nice.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 11:37:15 AM
Ok, here is my problem with changing the frame-size of a Spirit. In comparison of other MT's in the same weight-class the Spirit is longer and flatter. As a consequence there-off, its tools are longer and closer to the side.
Case in point, I have a problem, coming up with a decent tool idea form my ReCharge middle slot because a flat-head would be too short and to far away from the side to be useful as prying tool. Now have a look at the prying tool in the Spirit. It sits in the middle but is only 4mm from the side AND it sticks 45mm out of the frame!

So, if they make it smaller, please maintain that pattern. Make it longer than the Juice/Squirt but thinner, by not having tools to the side of the pliers head, but in front of them.

What I would like to see:
Bladeless and Slim: With slimmer more needle-nose pliers and no blades you could have a very portable Spirit, suited for more delicate pliers work (not everybody needs a Surge, some need a Surgeon ;))
Grippier handles with texture and color: Nothing to add, to this.
OHO: This would be nice, but honestly not so necessary for me.
Pliers: Replace-able wire-cutters for the folks that use the wire-cutters a lot
Business Scissors: Fit the scissors from the Wenger BusinessTool into that frame, I mean that would give HUGE scissors with extremely long cutting edge!
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 12:17:54 PM
All I want is a Spirit with a removeable pocket clip.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 12:37:04 PM

Get on with it then H, if you can design secret bases with rockets lasers monorails and shark tanks, a pocket clip should be a breeze! Then you can sell it to North Korea, one free with every base.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:21 PM

Get on with it then H, if you can design secret bases with rockets lasers monorails and shark tanks, a pocket clip should be a breeze! Then you can sell it to North Korea, one free with every base.
Don't forget, we also built a mass-accelerator that works so subtly, that when we blasted Italy, the detector in the defense station could only detect the digital watch in the canteen but not the death ray... true story!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 12:51:44 PM

Don't forget, we also built a mass-accelerator that works so subtly, that when we blasted Italy, the detector in the defense station could only detect the digital watch in the canteen but not the death ray... true story!
:facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 12:55:30 PM

:facepalm:
Yeah, and thanks to UK, for paying 14.7% of the 1 billion operational cost per year ::)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 01:03:41 PM
Better quality, lays flat on flat surface both open and closed, add little Vic shield stamp to pliers.

Regressing, I already have that.  :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD