Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger scissors and some 557 comments

gb Offline kakashi

Wenger scissors and some 557 comments
on: May 07, 2015, 09:04:46 PM
I recently bought a 557. Overall I quite like it but it is smaller than I thought it would be.

A couple of issues I have with it so far. The scissors are bloody hard to pull out with the nail knick. I don't know if they're all like that but it seems quite shallow. The scissors themselves are quite sticky in action. Do they loosen up a bit after time or is there something I can do about it?

I don't know who the bright spark was who decided what tool went where but I find the spanner to be next to useless located in the middle of the tool.

I've always had vics so this is my first experience with a wenger.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger scissors and some 557 comments
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:17:16 AM
 :ahhh ... It's 85mm vs Vic 91mm ;)
Neither some mod can solve your issues pulling out scissors with that tool selection >:D of course, if you would like to maintain the first layer for openers, last one for blade and consequently the awl and corkscrew :D
Exchanging scissors and wrench layer would made (at least for you :D) even harder if not impossible to pull out scissors, because of pliers, almost the same would happen with scissors in second layer (lock button locks access instead of pliers :D). Scissors in middle, wrench in second and pliers in fourth would maintain as much actual situation :D So, as you can see, the position of wrench is almost obligatory and even if it is in middle layer, in fact, can grab and unscrew some 8mm, 7mm etc. nuts and bolts :D
For the sticky issue, try some action in warm water, that's what Vic advises first.
2.JPG
* 2.JPG (Filesize: 149.78 KB)

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:11:09 AM
I guess you're right mate. Perhaps a case of tool many tools crammed in.

I'll give the water trick a try on the scissors and see if it helps.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 01:37:41 PM
Greetings!

The scissor opening problem is one that I have more from the S16 and S18, where the blade lock also gets in the way complicating the opening. Perhaps it is because of this relatively difficult opening that I am not troubled by the S557 opening, which is much easier - if not up to the Victorinox 91mm standard.

I do not have the sticky issue that you mention with any Wengers or Delemonts I have, for some reason.

I like the size, because it allows a couple more layers for weight compared to the Victorinox 91mm. To get these sort of tools in a Victorinox 91mm, you have to carry a lot more weight.

Besides the great weight to functionality ratio, I am a fan of having the lock blade, inline Philips, the nail file/cleaner combination and flexibility of the pliers (even if the position is not great).

I think the Victorinox pliers are, overall, better, and am unconvinced by the bolt tool at this stage. The Victorinox quality overall feels more convincing, too. But Victorinox does not seem to really have a 91mm model at this weight-size-functionality point.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:21:02 PM
Forum member Kirk13 has/had one with a strange tools layout and no locking main blade
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43595.0.html
Scroll down the page to reply #22
I hadn't find any evidence about a possible official release, so I think it was probably a custom order.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:23:36 PM by basilio »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:29:09 AM
Forum member Kirk13 has/had one with a strange tools layout and no locking main blade
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43595.0.html
Scroll down the page to reply #22
I hadn't find any evidence about a possible official release, so I think it was probably a custom order.

The legendary Million Dollar Wenger :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 07:55:49 AM
:cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 03:47:52 PM
The wrench has to be somewhat in the center of the layers because you have to reverse the knife on the nut to open, or tighten.
I thought the same as you at first, but was gently corrected by an informed MTO'er   :) :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%