Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kick, Fuse, Blast & Core Owners group club.

Miknitro · 695 · 40934

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Re: Kick, Fuse, Blast & Core Owners group club.
Reply #60 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:51 PM
Ooh - they look fine don't they?

I expected to see some sort of excess or burr on one of the tips  :think:

So should I consider trying to get a replacement?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #61 on: August 25, 2016, 09:13:41 PM
In all honesty, if it were me, I'd probably just use it, but I guess it depends on whether you think you might need to grip something finer than the gap.... I might also take a file to the tips and see if resolves the problem.

I'd equally understand why someone might return it!

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:55 PM
Ooh - they look fine don't they?

I expected to see some sort of excess or burr on one of the tips  :think:

So should I consider trying to get a replacement?

I'm with Dave on this one   :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #63 on: August 25, 2016, 10:21:05 PM
In all honesty, if it were me, I'd probably just use it, but I guess it depends on whether you think you might need to grip something finer than the gap.... I might also take a file to the tips and see if resolves the problem.

I'd equally understand why someone might return it!

I'm just really surprised that Leatherman's QA let this one through, it's the sort of thing I might expect from something made in China, but not from the USA.

Also compare the gap on my Fuse to the picture @Humppa's Blast earlier in this thread, this was more what I was expecting:

If I'd got it from a UK supplier I wouldn't think twice about asking for a refund, it's just that it's going to be a pain to have to send it back to the USA and they might not even honour offering me a replacement - I might just email them and see what they say...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: August 26, 2016, 12:28:07 AM

I'm just really surprised that Leatherman's QA let this one through, it's the sort of thing I might expect from something made in China, but not from the USA.

It's rare, but it can happen. If it was a current production tool you'd bought in the UK I'd probably return it too for what it's worth.

Keeping just might be the more pragmatic choice given where you're at! Definitely worth contacting the supplier though I'd say - see if they offer to sweeten the deal a bit.

Whatever you do - I hope it resolves satisfactorily. I feel sort of responsible having recommended an obsolete tool to you :(

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #65 on: August 26, 2016, 12:36:34 AM
Hey Oxford I tried to send you a PM. Just wondering where you got the Knifeless Fuse?
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #66 on: August 26, 2016, 01:05:02 PM
Hey Oxford I tried to send you a PM. Just wondering where you got the Knifeless Fuse?

I've sent you a PM

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #67 on: August 26, 2016, 01:05:37 PM

It's rare, but it can happen. If it was a current production tool you'd bought in the UK I'd probably return it too for what it's worth.

Keeping just might be the more pragmatic choice given where you're at! Definitely worth contacting the supplier though I'd say - see if they offer to sweeten the deal a bit.

Whatever you do - I hope it resolves satisfactorily. I feel sort of responsible having recommended an obsolete tool to you :(

I emailed the store last night, will see if they reply when the USA wakes up today...

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #68 on: August 26, 2016, 04:28:47 PM
I might also take a file to the tips and see if resolves the problem.

:imws:  :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #69 on: August 26, 2016, 05:13:23 PM
I might also take a file to the tips and see if resolves the problem.

:imws:  :tu:

Guess where the only small metal file I currently own is located?  :P

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #70 on: August 26, 2016, 05:28:32 PM

I've sent you a PM

Got it. Thanks!
I'm the milk man!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: August 26, 2016, 06:51:10 PM

Ha! This is why one multitool is never enough :P

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: August 27, 2016, 12:32:36 AM

Ha! This is why one multitool is never enough :P

That is so true :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #73 on: August 27, 2016, 02:39:17 AM
The more the merrier I say.  ;)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #74 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:47 AM

I emailed the store last night, will see if they reply when the USA wakes up today...

BTW this is the reply I received from the store (I also sent them a photo of Humppa's Blast for comparison, hence them mentioning this):

"I am sorry for your disappointment for what you perceive to be a Leatherman QC issue, however, if you view the attached you will see another Knifeless Fuse that we have in stock. I looked at a half dozen or so and they all look like the one pictured, i.e. they only touch at the tip when the jaw is closed. I also looked at the other forty + Leatherman multitools on display in our store and all of the pliers only meet at the tip. Based on these observations, I would say that this is their QC standard and typical, whereas your Blast jaw is an anomaly that we rarely see, but all within Leatherman’s QC specifications.

If you want me to look at every Knifeless Fuse that we have remaining in inventory to see if there is one that matches your Blast jaws, i.e. jaws that meet flush and parallel when closed, I can do that for you and send you a photo if I find an anomalous example. If you want to exchange it for the one we sent you that will be fine, however, you must pay return shipping and shipping back for the exchanged model, as the item we sent you is not defective."

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: August 30, 2016, 09:25:25 AM
Lol - OK, we know where they stand on the issue then!

Looking again at your pic, I'm sure I'd just use it tbh, but you could always send a picture to Leatherman and see what they say?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: August 30, 2016, 11:53:24 AM
I have a few, and yours looks to be quite ok in the pliers dept.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #77 on: August 31, 2016, 08:26:11 PM
Lol - OK, we know where they stand on the issue then!

Looking again at your pic, I'm sure I'd just use it tbh, but you could always send a picture to Leatherman and see what they say?

Think I'm probably just going to keep it and use it, hopefully the issue with the tips won't be a problem in practice.

BTW my Fuse is quite stiff to open and when using the pliers, where are the key places to lubricate? I usually use Nano Oil 10w to lubricate the pivots on my knives, so I assume this would also be suitable for the Leatherman?

Is it also also worth giving the tools and even handle a wipe over with Frog Lube or a Tuff Cloth to help prevent rusting? Thanks

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: October 14, 2016, 09:37:24 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:57 PM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: October 20, 2016, 05:48:12 AM
 :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:08 AM
I invited the police school liaison officer to talk about policing to my career class yesterday. When the officer was done, he asked for questions from the students. One of them asked him what he carried on his duty belt. The constable went trough his gear and mentioned he carried a Gerber multi-tool. When the presentation was done, I asked him alone if I could see his Gerber. He pulls the tool out and I tell him right away that is a Leatherman Blast. He looks at it and and asks me how did I know so quickly upon sight? I told him I was a bit of a collector. If only he knew.  :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: October 20, 2016, 10:21:06 PM
I invited the police school liaison officer to talk about policing to my career class yesterday. When the officer was done, he asked for questions from the students. One of them asked him what he carried on his duty belt. The constable went trough his gear and mentioned he carried a Gerber multi-tool. When the presentation was done, I asked him alone if I could see his Gerber. He pulls the tool out and I tell him right away that is a Leatherman Blast. He looks at it and and asks me how did I know so quickly upon sight? I told him I was a bit of a collector. If only he knew.  :rofl:

:rofl:

A lot of people confuse Gerber and Leatherman for some reason though :think: Well at least he knows better now :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: October 28, 2016, 09:40:33 PM
Core today :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: October 28, 2016, 09:42:31 PM
 :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #86 on: November 16, 2016, 05:03:21 AM
The whole line of Core, Fuse, Blat, and Kick have this calm, unintimidating look and feel about them, especially the boxy Core. The Core was my very first Leatherman. Still remember how I wished for a Wave instead of that plain-jane Core. How time changes perspective!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: November 16, 2016, 06:19:28 PM
The whole line of Core, Fuse, Blat, and Kick have this calm, unintimidating look and feel about them, especially the boxy Core. The Core was my very first Leatherman. Still remember how I wished for a Wave instead of that plain-jane Core. How time changes perspective!

The whole line was really unappreciated from the start due to the Zytel but has received a cult following since being discontinued  :o I always loved the Blast and had sort of a love hate thing going on with the Core :whistle: :D They were a really good line and I hated hearing the news that they were discontinued though :-\ Seems the Core was the only one that got a true successor with the Supertool 300 and I guess that's something at least :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: December 10, 2016, 05:21:17 AM
BO Fuse today :dd:

20161209_095939 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: December 10, 2016, 05:42:34 AM
That's an awfully   Fuse  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24