Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiker vs Tinker

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Hiker vs Tinker
Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 03:12:43 PM
I have both, and prefer the Hiker.  I find the difference in thickness negligible, and the  saw is super handy for more serious work.  The saw can do things that would require a hatchet in the outdoors, and do it more cleanly.  It is also handy during home improvement projects.

I just came from the local Victorinox retailer. When I saw the 91mms in a glass case, I was surprised that they seemed big! I even considered looking at 84mm and finding 65mm SAKs as I initially thought the 91mm was big. But when I held a Hiker and an 84mm two-layer Tourist in my hand, I did feel the difference was negligible, especially since the saw is thin.

So I bought the Hiker, at last!  :ahhh

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 03:18:00 PM
Did you notice how I did not push my corkscrew agenda? ??? ?

I'm on it: the back-layer phillips is more useful until you actually need to use a phillips.

got it  :D 

TBH, I never warmed up to the aesthetics of a corkscrew. Its "cleaner" or "smoother" to look at a folded Philips. purely personal opinion here   :-[

Ohh that thought does bring me back some memories... :facepalm:
I admit i thought the same for quite some time, and still do in some way, but to a much lesser degree.
These days i'm pretty much split between the corkscrew and the Phillips as far as feel and look. The Phillips still has the edge with me as far as actual usefulness as a tool but only for very light torque and occasional SD use. It's not that i love that Philips for his terrible usefulness in that position, but much more for the aesthetics and smoothness and less bulk in the pocket. 
The corkscrew despite being more bulky does give it that lovely classic look, and while less smooth on the hand, it does help to grip the Sak much better in some uses, and it holds the micro SD too...  :D

So i would say in my case it's a 55% (Ph) vs 45%(Cs)....  :drink:

Between the Tinker and the Hiker, i love both and also carried both for long periods of time. The difference in thickness is negligible, but the wood saw is usually not terribly useful in a urban regular edc environment (a scissors is way more...), so it all depends of what you need, and your uses.

Both are great sak's, but right as far as 2 layers go i'm firmly on the 84mm camp  :salute:

To be fair to the corkscrew guys, I did watched a lot of Youtube videos espousing the benefits of corkscrew over Philips. They were actually eye openers, and I agree that corkscrew seems to have more creative uses (even as a coat hanger in an emergency). When I was in the Victorinox retailer store awhile ago, I was almost tempted to buy an 84mm Tourist instead of a 91mm Spartan (as there was no Tinker available), thinking that its slimmer than the Hiker. But I really couldn't bring myself to like the looks of a corkscrew. Again, its purely subjective. So I bought the Hiker instead and am one happy dude!  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:28:37 PM by an0nemus »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 05:13:07 PM
When I was in the Victorinox retailer store awhile ago, I was almost tempted to buy an 84mm Tourist instead or 91mm Spartan instead (as there was no Tinker available), thinking that its slimmer than the Hiker. But I really couldn't bring myself to like the looks of a corkscrew. Again, its purely subjective. So I bought the Hiker instead and am one happy dude!  :ahhh

Glad you liked the Hiker mate, it's a great sak for sure  :cheers:
But about the 84mm's, you mentioned you where tempted to get the Tourist, but didn't they had any Small Tinkers there (84mm)?
A 84mm Hiker would be a great thing, and Vic already has all tools on current production to produce them, it would be great it they decided to make some. Much more useful IMO than the Walker model.

I still use 91mm's sometimes and own dozens of them, but not as regular urban edc anymore. I honestly find them just too big and bulky on the pocket for what i need these days.
I found that the Small Tinker (or sometimes the Tourist) along with the alox classic on my keys is all i need for urban edc. I only carry the bigger and larger brothers when i head um to the country or on holidays  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:16:18 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 05:34:15 PM
When I was in the Victorinox retailer store awhile ago, I was almost tempted to buy an 84mm Tourist instead or 91mm Spartan instead (as there was no Tinker available), thinking that its slimmer than the Hiker. But I really couldn't bring myself to like the looks of a corkscrew. Again, its purely subjective. So I bought the Hiker instead and am one happy dude!  :ahhh

Glad you liked the Hiker mate, it's a great sak for sure  :cheers:
But about the 84mm's, you mentioned you where tempted to get the Tourist, but didn't they had any Small Tinkers there (84mm)?
A 84mm Hiker would be a great thing, and Vic already has all tools on current production to produce them, it would be great it they decided to make some. Much more useful IMO than the Walker model.

I still use 91mm's sometimes and own dozens of them, but not as regular urban edc anymore. I honestly find them just too big and bulky on the pocket for what i need these days.
I found that the Small Tinker (or sometimes the Tourist) along with the alox classic on my keys is all i need for urban edc. I only carry the bigger and larger brothers when i head um to the country or on holidays  :cheers:

No, they didnt have a Small Tinker on stock or else that would've been my first choice. I admit the 91mm is a bit big, but when I compared it to the Tourist it's really negligible for me as both fit into my jean's coin/watch pocket easily.

I'm actually getting hooked more and more into SAKs and am sure an 84mm is in the horizon (Philips and corkscrews), especially since there are a lot of cheap used SAKs out there. For now, the Hiker and a Kershaw Zing will be my daily carry in my pants with the Charge TTi in my bag  :cheers:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 09:04:06 PM
I have an old Super Tinker and a newer Tinker Deluxe. Both have scissors but no saw. I can say that out camping or hiking, I would rather have a little saw, especially because there are already two nice blades and a can opener. And an awl. Sorry, but the plyers on the Tinker Deluxe are not worth a tinker' s dam. (See what I did there? Thank you, I will be here all week. Please tip your waitresses).

That being said, I use scissors more than a saw at home or at work. So...Tinker Deluxe at work, Hiker when camping or on the trail.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 11:20:40 PM
I would go with a Super Tinker before a Hiker. Same with Yeoman and Passenger. Three layers SAKs are sweet.

+1    :2tu:

I gravitate towards the 2- and 3-layer SAKs...SuperTinker, Yeoman, Scientist, Compact/Golfer. When doing outdoor activities, paired with a medium sized plier-based MUT, the saw requirement is taken care of with a bit more versatility...
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 03:58:13 PM
For reference, I EDC this bladeless Woodsman now.
The saw and some other parts came from that first Hiker, so it lives on in my EDC, in another form.  :salute:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:59:42 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:55 PM
why you go bladeless Pablo ?

I recently got a Hiker - I'd done a bit of research over the last couple years, wanting a SAK for my kids and the hiker fitted the bill for what they'd use it for. And after playing with theirs i wanted one too :D

Up to when i got the hiker i'd only usually carry a juice, but had both the hiker and juice with me recently when i had an equipment malfunction - was kayaking and the backrest fell apart, conditions were such it would have been real uncomfortable paddling like that. Problem turned out to be a nut/bolt had worked loose so used the pliers on the juice and the philips on the hiker to reassemble everything and saved myself a lot of backache. 

Also answered my question of why people carry multiple tools  :think:

Prefer the phillips over the corkscrew as other then the obvious i don't see much need for the corkscrew. So yeah the hiker rocks :2tu:

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:14 PM
A bit because my Rambler has all the blade I need, and a bit because I feel a little uncomfortable carrying anything larger without due cause, thanks to the laws here.   :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 10:54:40 PM
Ah right Ted. Assume you live in capital city so. I pretty much carry what I want no one is going to sweat a SAK down here.  :D
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 11:09:33 PM
Newbridge actually, but it's similarly urban, just smaller.  :D I visit Dublin not infrequently, so that's still true.
I don't intend to "attract" the attention of any gardai, but I'm being on the safe side.  :whistle:
I'm kind of envious of you out in the countryside.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 04:44:26 AM
why you go bladeless Pablo ?

I recently got a Hiker - I'd done a bit of research over the last couple years, wanting a SAK for my kids and the hiker fitted the bill for what they'd use it for. And after playing with theirs i wanted one too :D

Up to when i got the hiker i'd only usually carry a juice, but had both the hiker and juice with me recently when i had an equipment malfunction - was kayaking and the backrest fell apart, conditions were such it would have been real uncomfortable paddling like that. Problem turned out to be a nut/bolt had worked loose so used the pliers on the juice and the philips on the hiker to reassemble everything and saved myself a lot of backache. 

Also answered my question of why people carry multiple tools  :think:

Prefer the phillips over the corkscrew as other then the obvious i don't see much need for the corkscrew. So yeah the hiker rocks :2tu:

Your story says it all Eamo.  :tu:

I also carry both an SAK and a MUT when out of the city doing outdoors stuff. Makes sense in a lot of ways. As for a saw, most my MUTs have a saw, so my SAKs don't need them, though the SAK that stays in the pickup glovebox is a used Camper that came with a Lot of used SAKs. But keep in mind, there's a MUT with scissors and saw also stored in pickup.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:45:43 AM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 05:54:20 AM
Did you notice how I did not push my corkscrew agenda? ??? ?

I'm on it: the back-layer phillips is more useful until you actually need to use a phillips.

Somehow your comment and El C's really burned into my memory, and after being exposed to Phillips since we discussed this matter awhile back, I'm now 99% convinced that a corkscrew is more useful than the Phillips at the back. Henceforth if given the choice in the future, I'd go with a corkscrew (with mini screwdriver), even though the Philipps look better. So in short, function over form  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%