Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Big Nickel Sudbury

Chako · 11 · 1503

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Big Nickel Sudbury
on: May 17, 2015, 05:02:13 AM
I went to Sudbury earlier today. I enjoy the 3.5 to 4 hour drive to get there. This time, i decided to go back to the Big Nickel. The last time I was there, was back in 1980. Back then, it was geared towards the coin collector with a small coin souvenir shop, a train that went around the property that could carry around 50 people, and several large coins. I do recall the Big Nickel, and also a large penny, and another coin with John F Kennedy on one side. All of these were very large. I also recall that there was a mine one could explore...but at the time, we didn't go down because it cost too much. Well I figured I would fix that and go visit everything the site offered...

Well what I pulled up to was nothing like the old coin park I remembered. It looks like sometime in the 90s or 00s, the site was sold to Science North, and it became Dynamic Earth. The focus is no longer on coins, but that of geology. I guess that makes sense seeing that Sudbury is renown for their rich Nickel mining heritage.

Thus, I encountered an old memory...but not quite, as now the Big Nickel stands on 2 pillars as opposed to the rich stone base I remember as a kid. Likewise, its location, no, the whole area is no longer recognizable to me. I was a bit disappointed with that, however, the new building and attractions more than made up for my initial sense of loss.

Here we are looking from the parking lot at the Big Nickel and the Dynamic North building on its immediate right.

Getting closer...I noticed the base is all wrong...well at least as I remembered it.

Well at least the coin remains the same.

There was a plaque to commemorate the private citizen who founded and created the park.

One more last look at the Big Nickel before heading into the building.

Meet the Dynamic Earth building...or at least, part of its decorations.

Inside, you are greeted by plenty of minerals, rocks, and other geological materials.

Here is a view from inside the building at the Inco Super Stack.

If you are wondering why it is called the Super Stack...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inco_Superstack

There were many little displays inside Dynamic Earth.

Down in the basement, there was a neat little interactive story telling of the city of Sudbury's history. It was told with plenty of high tech equipent, etc. All told from the perspective of a digitized and animated barber. This was the entry to the show.

After the well produced high tech multimedia show, it was time to go underground. Now this blew my socks off, and I do apologize for my poor camera. I only brought my point and shoot with limited controls. The mine tour starts off in a miner's dry, where the miner's would hang their clothing to dry. Next was an elevator that had a 45 person capacity. The elevator only descends 20 meters, but that trip will take you 5 minutes, as the elevator shaft contains more videos and audio, which everyone could see through the glass walls of the elevator. Here, you can see two of the screens attached to the far wall of the largish elevator shaft.

Once down, everyone wears hard hats. Here is our tour guide telling up about some of the history of the Sudbury area mining before we enter the mine proper.

Here we are in the airlock which ensures the mine climate and that of the building can be equalized. Humidity was only at 77%. We were told it can get as high as 98% in the summer.

The mine was rather long, and broken down into different eras. You start off with the old style and work your way to the modern mine.  Interspersed along the way are exhibits. It was rather interesting.

Here we are entering the oldest part of the mine showing the construction of the late 1800's. Happy to have that hardhat, as I am 6 feet, and the mine height in spots was 5'5" in spots.

Here is the old mine section.

Our tour guide is explaining some of the difficulties miners had in removing ore from the mine.

An older style drill.

Here we are in a more modern section of the mine, going from one display to another. It was dark, dank, and rather cool in the mine.

Our tour guide is explaining how mine blasting is done. She is putting a way a pair of dummy CIL dynamite sticks in this photo. The best part, they have the area rigged with super loud hidden speakers that simulate an actual blasting sequence. It did feel like I was there. Quite the visceral experience.

In the modern part of the mine, here is a safety room, which the miners would also use as their lunch room during a work shift. In an emergency, the miners would get into the room, close and lock the door via a lever, use clay to seal the door from gases, open an Oxygen valve, and await rescue.

Here is a photo showing the modern section of the mine.

The tour was very interesting, and took about an hour or so to finish. Here is a photo of the final walk to the exit of the tour. This long tunnel leads back to the air lock, and ultimately to the hard hat repository room and the elevator. Those white lights on the left of the photo were back-lite mining images.

After visiting Dynamic Earth, I got a better appreciation of mining, the geological history of the Sudbury area, and a deeper appreciation of what it would feel like to be a miner...not something I could do day in and day out. I was ready to call it a day until I spied an off shoot gallery centered around King Tutankhamun.

I knew they were featuring an Egyptian archaeological film in their cinema...which I didn't attend due to time constraints...but I am glad I took the time to explore this gallery.

And here is a little more info on Dynamic Earth.
http://sciencenorth.ca/dynamic-earth/exhibits/

:salute:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:54:33 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: The Big Nickel Sudbury
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 05:14:46 AM
WOW! Thanks for taking us along...very interesting!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:05:56 AM
You are welcome. I did a bit more digging and found this. Looks like it has a lot of history of the location, and the coins/ medallions produced.

http://www.thebignickelbook.com/uploads/2/6/4/3/26436049/sudburynumismaticsfirsteditionlr.pdf

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:06:38 AM
That's a very eccentric museum! Very interesting too! Cheers Dan :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:46:13 AM
You are welcome. I did a bit more digging and found this. Looks like it has a lot of history of the location, and the coins/ medallions produced.

http://www.thebignickelbook.com/uploads/2/6/4/3/26436049/sudburynumismaticsfirsteditionlr.pdf

Thanks!!!  Read the doc and saw the '64 JFK commemorative coin that Sudbury put out and found one on eBay! Great info on the site.

--Seller's pic
JFK SUDBURY.JPG
* JFK SUDBURY.JPG (Filesize: 112.14 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 02:43:31 PM
That is a nice one. I do not have that one. However, in 1980, my mother and I were into coin collecting. The gift shop offered lots of different medallions. She made sure I had a few copies, thus I have some of these in duplicates. I never understood the history behind them until I found that link previously posted last night. I decided to wipe the dust off of the old collection and take some photos of the ones I do have. I am not sure if they had a complete listings, as I have a few different medallions that we did get at the location, that are not listed in the box...especially the American space medallions.

Here are most of the ones that I have.

Aluminum version

Nickel version

I have one of those reproduction gold coins...which is a bit rare as the molds were destroyed once it was found out that folks were trying to pass them off as gold coins...some successfully so. Note the coin dealer I found this back in the 80s wanted to make certain folks knew this was a repro. Sorry for the poor photos.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:00:43 PM by Chako »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 04:03:03 PM
Those are all very nice, esp the gold replica coin!!!!!!  :2tu:

I think I have some of those space medallions but they are packed away in my US/World coin collection. I keep my Brit Commonwealth coins handy as I still add to them on occasion.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:05:29 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:17:09 PM
Nice pics Dan!

My wife and I went there in 2011. We took this cheesy pic:

We also saw a sign pointing to your home town. I told my wife I knew a guy with an awesome collection who lived there. Whatever, she said :P
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 06:20:47 PM
By the way, we went there because you told us to: "Sudbury is about a 3.5 hour drive east of my city. Sudbury has one of the world’s richest Nickel deposits. If you do go there, be sure to research the Big Nickel mine museum and Science North."

Thanks for that, we really enjoyed our trip back then :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:12:46 PM
Yes I remember. Happy to hear you guys enjoyed Sudbury.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 08:15:32 PM
Here are some closeups of that rock wall seen in the first image list...of minerals.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69