Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

school me on G-Shock's.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: school me on G-Shock's.
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 05:09:23 PM
Well after searching around I actually started to warm up to (what I consider) the run of the mill G-Shock. I consider this the run of the mill G-Shock as this is the one I see most people with. Anyways, I like the look of other better, but the size of the case on those models are to large and thick. It is my first G-Shock and I don't really have a bunch of money to blow so I figure I just get this one and if I end up not liking it then not much is lost. If I love it then I can upgrade later.

I bought the DW9052-1V. Sawman, I forgot to make sure it was a newer model programmed until 2099. I looked in the description but cannot confirm. It says model year is 2012 though. Anyways I am going to go put the Seiko 5 away and wear my AE1000w until the DW9052-1V gets here. Only thing I wasn't thrilled about on the DW9052-1V is the battery life, but i'm sure it will be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW9052-1V-G-Shock-Stainless-Digital/dp/B000GAYQLI
If you bought it off amazon, then it is the newer model. As for the battery life, it should last 2-3 years depending on how much you use the alarm and light. I have 2 of these, one with resin and one with nylon strap. One of my favorite features on this model are the large buttons which make for easy operation. I absolutely love the 9052 and hope you find yours just as enjoyable.

Good choice cap'n :cheers:

I hope so as we'll because. I have always wanted one so if I don't like it I would be disappointed, but "only time will tell".   :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2015, 05:35:31 PM
I have a DW 004 that's quite chunky and has the "wings" on the underside of the watch case.  I find the proud sitting watch to be more an "issue" than the wings actually as the watch sits better on my skinny wrist with them.  My G 7700, GW 300, and GW 330A are also very nice on the wrist.  I have skinny wrists so finding a band that keeps the watch sitting on top my wrist without being too tight is more a concern for me.

Glad you picked one up, you wont really ever know till it has some wrist time anyway. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:00 PM
I have a DW 004 that's quite chunky and has the "wings" on the underside of the watch case.  I find the proud sitting watch to be more an "issue" than the wings actually as the watch sits better on my skinny wrist with them.  My G 7700, GW 300, and GW 330A are also very nice on the wrist.  I have skinny wrists so finding a band that keeps the watch sitting on top my wrist without being too tight is more a concern for me.

Glad you picked one up, you wont really ever know till it has some wrist time anyway.

I would of thought the "wings" would make the watch sit higher and not flush to the wrist. Maybe since you have skinny wrist it fits well for you. I was just concerned they would not "spread" enough and raise the watch up off the wrist. If I upgrade to another G-Shock in the future I will actually go and try different styles on to see what actually works for me.

I am hoping the G-Shock fits better than my AE1000W as if worn to tight the wavy design of the band bugs the crap out of me and is very uncomfortable. If I wear it loose enough to be comfortable the watch always drifts towards the "outside" of my wrist which also drives me nuts. Towards the pinky finger to be clear. I am really hoping the G-Shock does not do this, but am sadly expecting it to do so since the bands look identical. I just wish they had more band option. They make them in 100's of colors, but have only seen one other band for this style G-Shock.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 10:26:58 PM
Those gray plastic 'thingy's' on the 9052 are actually supports and IMO add to the comfort of the watch.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like this one. I can tell you that for me, in either nylon or resin band it is very comfortable. It's a very simple module, has the bare essentials and nothing more: alarm, timer, and stopwatch - 3 things I use.
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 10:49:46 PM
Those gray plastic 'thingy's' on the 9052 are actually supports and IMO add to the comfort of the watch.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like this one. I can tell you that for me, in either nylon or resin band it is very comfortable. It's a very simple module, has the bare essentials and nothing more: alarm, timer, and stopwatch - 3 things I use.

I'm not talking about the grey pieces on the 9052. I was talking about other models that have large curved plastic pieces in the same place as on the 9052.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:26 AM
Are we talking about these?  On this watch they keep the watch from doing exactly what you describe for me at least.  I also cannot stand a watch that rotates on my wrist yet I don't like a tight fitting band either. 

IMG_7864.jpg
* IMG_7864.jpg (Filesize: 215.46 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #36 on: June 09, 2015, 07:42:25 PM
the more expensive they are the more pointless features they have that you don't need.

i should know as i have the pilots GW-3500B i only use it to tell the time and it cost a bomb - i justliked the look of it
I

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 09:22:57 AM
The only thing you need to know about G-Shocks is that you should have bought a Traser  :twak:

Something to consider might be some of the Baby-G range. They have a few feature-rich ones that might be a bit more comfortable / subtle to wear on the wrist.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 04:35:21 PM
The only thing you need to know about G-Shocks is that you should have bought a Traser  :twak:

Something to consider might be some of the Baby-G range. They have a few feature-rich ones that might be a bit more comfortable / subtle to wear on the wrist.

I agree that there are indeed many nearly impossible to read, clunky, blingy big G-shocks that are more fashion statement than a watch, but in each price range of G-Shock there are models that are tough, no-frills time-telling tools. For example the DW-5600E does a fine job in telling time, taking abuse and having a timer and stopwatch is quite useful. In higher price ranges there are models showing moon and tide, useful for sports, hunting and fishing up to the models with sensors to tell altitude, temp, direction. If you want, you can go full analog or fully digital or anywhere inbetween - but I´ll say you are right when you say lume on the hands is not Casios strong side - Any Tritium/H3 watch and most Citizen and Seikos will be better in that regard.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16:54 PM
The G1010D dials are surprisingly luminous  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 06:37:42 PM
I became "aware" of G-Shocks thanks to some enablers here, but I have learned a lot in the short time since, and fell in love with the watches.
Please understand that before getting G-shocks (yes plural  :facepalm: ) I never owned any watch that cost more than $40, so I will not be able to make comparisons to equal quality or superior quality watches, but this is my view of these watches I have, and why I love them.

I love the toughness of the G-Shock watches, and it puts me at ease since i usually killed watches every few months   :facepalm:

I also love that for the most part operating a G-shock is always the same  the adjust is always in the same place, the mode is always in the same place, etc, etc.

GD350-1B

To me this watch is BATMAN 'ish and looks cool.  add the vibration alerting, and the easy to see negative display (I have seen many that are hard to see) and this is a great Watch.

Vibration Alarm
Direct Countdown Timer Button
High Luminescence LED

Specs from Casio
Show content
Shock Resistant
200M Water Resistant
Auto LED Backlight (Super Illuminator)
Flash alert
Flasher with buzzer that sounds for alarms, hourly time signal, countdown timer time-up alarm
World Time
35 time zones (100 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily or One-time Alarms (1 with Snooze), selectable flash alert/vibration alert
Hourly Time Signal
Vibration Alert (Daily Alarms, Countdown Timer, Hourly Time Signal)
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Countdown timer w/Direct Access
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 24 hours
Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-second increments, 1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
Other: Selectable flash alert/vibration alert, direct start from timekeeping mode
Full Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Low Battery Warning
Button operation tone on/off
Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month
Battery: CR2032
Approx. battery life: 5 years
Module 3403
Size of case/total weight
GD350 53.4 x 50.8 x 18.0mm / 75g

GW9400-1 Rangeman

This Master of G series watch is loaded with features,  and some of the features I have found more useful than I would have thought.
I have been walking in the evenings after work, and the sunrise/sunset calendar is great for seeing about how much longer before dark starts setting in.

this triple sensor watch is great and has many awesome features, and the solar/atomic combo is great and has me spoiled,  I love Radio controlled watches now, no changing due to Daylight savings, always updated and accurate.

Specs from Casio
Show content
Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China)
Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day/up to 5 times per day for China)
Manual receive function
Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60, China BPC
Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz, BPC 68.5kHz
Tough Solar Power
Shock Resistant
Mud Resistant
Case & buttons are sealed to prevent mud, dirt and dust from getting into the watch
200M Water Resistant
Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
Triple Sensor w/Direct Access Button
Altimeter
Measuring range: -700 to 10,000 m (-2,300 to 32,800 ft)
Measuring unit: 1 m (5ft)
Manual memory measurements: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Historical Altitude Values: High altitude, Low altitude, cumulative ascent, cumulative decent
Others: Reference altitude setting, Altitude differential, Altitude auto reading interval (0'05 or 2'00)
Digital Compass
Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
Measuring unit: 1 degree
60 seconds continuous measurement
Graphic direction pointer
Bidirectional calibration
Magnetic declination correction
Bearing memory: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Barometer
Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
Atmospheric pressure change indicator
Manual memory measurements: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
Full Auto LED (Super Illuminator) Backlight with Afterglow
World Time
31 time zones (48 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily Alarms (4 one-time and 1 snooze alarm)
Hourly Time Signal
1/100 Second Stopwatch w/Direct Access
Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99"
Countdown Timer
Countdown range: 24 hours
Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
Sunrise/Sunset Data
Displays sunrise time and sunset time for a specific date (at sea level)
Time Recorder
Memory capacity: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Full Auto Calendar (Pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
Battery Level Indicator
Power Saving Function
Approx. Battery Life: 7 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module 3410
GW9400   55.2 x 53.5 x 18.2mm / 93g

My Dressy Digital watches

MTG-920DA and MTG-900

Both Solar/Atomic  (Love that feature)

My Dressy Analog - Digital watch

AWG-M100-1A

Solar/Atomic  (Love that feature)

Solar/Atomic  (Love that feature)

this watch does have a timer, stop watch, alarms but using those features are not as pleasant as on my other watches.

Specs from Casio
Show content
Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China)
Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day/up to 5 times per day for China)
Manual receive function
Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60, China BPC
Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz, BPC 68.5kHz
Tough Solar Power
Shock Resistant
200M Water Resistant
Full Auto LED Light with Afterglow
Neo-brite Luminous Hands and Markers
World Time
31 times zones (48 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily Alarms
Hourly Time Signal
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 59’59.99”
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time
Countdown Timer
Countdown range: 1 minute to 100 minutes
12/24 Hour Formats
Button operation tone on/off (tentative)
Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
Battery Power Indicator
Power Saving Function
Approx. battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module 5230
AWGM100 52.0 x 46.4 x 14.9mm / 56.4g

GLX-6900-1  and G7900A-7

these two watches have the same module.

I have no real need for a tide graph,  but I am always appreciative of inventions and technology, so I think it is cool.  I do like the moon phase info though.

I love the dual stopwatches, I start one when I head out on a walk, then use the other to time specific areas.  the watch face shows progress of both in a small window that is really useful for a quick ballpark time estimate.  the 1st stopwatch also can use a 5 second lead in with audible tones,  great for timing yourself.
I also love how this watch has an indicator for each alarm, not just one overall indicator.
the timer can be one time or repeat, and it has count down notifications, which I love.
the alarms are multi-function, so much more flexibility than my other watches.  if this watch was Solar / Atomic,  it would be near perfect.  the 7900 that is solar / atomic, has a different feature set.

Specs from Casio
Show content
Shock Resistant
200M Water Resistant
Low Temperature Resistant LCD (-20 C / -4 F)
Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
Flash Alert
Flashes with buzzer that sounds for alarms, hourly time signal, countdown timer time-up alarm, countdown timer progress beeper and stopwatch auto-start
Tide Graph (tide level for specific date and time)
Moon Data (moon age of the input data, moon phase graph)
World Time
29 times zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
4 Multi-Function Alarms and 1 Snooze Alarm
Hourly Time Signal
1/100 Second Stopwatch (ST1)
Measuring capacity: 999:59’59.99”
Other: Auto-Start
1/100 Second Stopwatch (ST2)
Measuring capacity: 999:59’59.99”
Countdown Timer
Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
Others: Auto-Repeat, Time-up Alarm, Progress Beeper
12/24 Hour Formats
Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
Battery: CR2025
Approx. battery life: 2 years
Module 3194
GLX6900 53.2 x 50.0 x 17.7mm / 65g

So, I love G-shocks,  and still want more of them.  I love little innovations that make a big impact and Casio has continued to do just that.  there are some G-shocks that I am not impressed with,  but there are so many that I love.

If I can help, let me know 

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:00 AM
Holy Pictures, Batman!

If I were to get a Digital/Casio, it would probably be a BGD500-1

Watches that can get caught on things are not for me, and I am not afraid to wear girl stuff  :whistle:

Having said that, Citizen do some nice ones at a reasonable price, though you will not have that indestructable feeling, at least you will have taste.

CA4098-14H.jpg
* CA4098-14H.jpg (Filesize: 70.93 KB)

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #42 on: July 31, 2015, 03:58:22 AM
Holy Pictures, Batman!

If I were to get a Digital/Casio, it would probably be a BGD500-1

Watches that can get caught on things are not for me, and I am not afraid to wear girl stuff  :whistle:

Having said that, Citizen do some nice ones at a reasonable price, though you will not have that indestructable feeling, at least you will have taste.

though I understand this,  I am always hitting mine on things, so the larger size is acepted, since i will hit a small one anyway,  and now I don't have a sphincter clinching moment every time I whack it.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:55 PM
G Shocks are great watches but too big for my small wrists. I tend to stick to F-91w's.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 06:13:13 PM
G Shocks are great watches but too big for my small wrists. I tend to stick to F-91w's.

try the g5500TS model or one of the Baby G models (some are pretty unisex)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline batosai117

Reply #45 on: December 10, 2015, 05:35:42 AM
I'm late to all this but in my experience this is my favorite G-Shock (shown in pic). I tried the solar models but being stuck on nights most of the time I would get annoyed with the recharge indicators. I've had this one for five years on patrol without any issues. The raised bevel has saved the watch several times.

It has all the features I need: time 12 HR and 24 HR, alarm, countdown timer, and stop watch.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #46 on: December 10, 2015, 06:48:39 AM
Just a reminder, what's gonna be better than a G-Shock?

A G-Shock with a Tread Band.

Tread band?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #47 on: December 10, 2015, 12:58:59 PM

Tread band?
LM Tread Harley - get with the program dude. Mo's got you one for crimbo.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #48 on: December 12, 2015, 06:38:26 AM

Tread band?

Sometimes I wonder what language you are speaking.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: December 13, 2015, 07:40:43 PM

Tread band?

Sometimes I wonder what language you are speaking.

Welsh  :think:  :D

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #50 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:10 AM
I have had three G-Shocks over the last 18 years or so and just got the third one in early December for my 40th Birthday from my Wife and kids. I gave my G-2110 to my oldest son who turns 15 in Feb next year.

G-Shock G-2110

I decided to get the GA-110TS-1A4 as I wanted both Anolog and Digital and liked the look of the watch with the two tones Charcoal Grey and Orange. This model comes in a range of colours from the Grey/Organe, All Black, Black/Gold, Black/Blue & White/Green.

G-Shock GA-110TS-1A4
Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%