Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leap Owner's Club

us Offline JNieporte

Leap Owner's Club
on: May 16, 2015, 02:03:27 AM
I didn't see an owner's club for the Leap. Here's mine...

This is gonna hurt...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Leap Owner's Club
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:06:08 AM
Because kids are not old enough to be in a club.
I am going have to ask Mod to close this. :D
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 02:13:34 AM

You motherf.......
This is gonna hurt...

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:57:01 PM
Shhhh, don't tell anyone.  But you know you want to take the leap. I bought one for my now eight year old daughter,  she loved it.  I liked the fact that I didn't have to worry about a knife.  It gave us a chance to bond over something I love.  Well now she has the knife added and I had to add one to my collection. It really offers a nice tool selection in a small package.  Not much bigger then a SAK. So take the leap and be a kid again,  join the club.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:19:35 PM
Yup, got one for my daughter last year, she loves it.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 11:17:28 PM
Got one for my little girl for Christmas and she loves the scissors on it :cheers: She has several Classic SAKs as well :D Even a pink alox :ahhh I am trying to get her hooked at a young age like I was ;) The scissors on all of them is a big draw for her  :tu: I also forgot she has confiscated a Micra of mine as well :facepalm: :D

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 02:19:00 AM
I carried mine this weekend,  the size is prefect in the pocket,  especially for sweat pants. Used the scissors multiple times,  cut some beef sticks up with the knife.  Even reattached the hose to my air filter on my truck. Really preformed well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

au Offline munecito

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 08:20:00 AM
I have no shame.

I got one. In red.

Funny thing the handles are mismatched by a full year.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:59:48 AM
They aren't bad tools at all :cheers: I have bought a couple but as gifts :salute: 1 was for my little girl and the other for one of my nephews ;) I have thought about getting myself one but just never have :think: :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 02:30:34 PM
I think if the Leap were not marketed for kids, we would see a lot more people carrying them, or at least admitting they carry one.  :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 03:09:22 PM
I have one too.  Never used it but I do like it, red. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 01:46:32 AM
To me, it looks like something handy to just stuff in a pocket for light EDC stuff, cheaper; and unlike the Juice has locking blades. But is it any good?

au Offline munecito

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 02:32:03 AM
To me, it looks like something handy to just stuff in a pocket for light EDC stuff, cheaper; and unlike the Juice has locking blades. But is it any good?

It is a bit bulky for a pocket. The scales seem to move a bit if you close the pliers too hard.

But it is a great tool to carry in a purse or in a small photo kit.

Better than the Gerber dime. But much bigger

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 04:05:03 PM
I dont recall any who got them and used them  :think:.  Its a neat tool thats for sure.  I cannot recall much of any use discussions. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
I smell a challenge  :D A LEAP Challenge would be a great way to test it for adult use :tu: :D

au Offline munecito

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 02:42:16 AM
 :like: :iagree:

au Offline munecito

Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 02:05:02 PM
Where do we make the petition?

Leap challenge. Please.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 02:28:18 PM
You can start a new thread with proposed start date/s to see who else might be interested.  This might just be one of the more very interesting challenges  :D.  Theres a lot of challenges planned so have a look to see where this might work well to get as many involved or to give those interested time to get LEEPs  :salute:.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline stugumby

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 10:37:57 PM
Wife hijacked my blue one for her sewing box /scrapbook set up. She uses it now and then, mostly the blade to open potting soil bags and cut foam blocks. makes a good office drawer tool for small jobs.

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 01:15:20 AM

I flat out, laughed out loud reading this!
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 04:41:28 AM
I'm posting this here because it seems to be the proper place based on the Links.

I just received the Leatherman Leap today and want to give my initial observations and thoughts on it.

Firstly...I feel completely embarrassed that in all the tools I have purchased lately to make a "Bladeless" tool I never considered a tool that was literally designed bladeless.   :facepalm:

Some basic shots:

On inspection this tool is built way way way above its $39.95 price point. The fit and finish on MOST of the parts is akin to any of the best multi-tools that Leatherman makes.

In addition I found that I could relatively easily deploy all of the major implements (saw, scissor, philips, blade, and pliers) with one hand.

There were a few surprised in my inspection of it, the first being the main blade which is much more robust than expected. Here is a comparison of the blades to both the Wave, Signal, and Wingman. The removable blade has a flat grind (not hollow which is great) and came razor sharp. I was a little concerned about the blade coming loose but the method for attachment makes that nearly impossible under normal circumstances. the pivots are ground flat on opposite sides meaning that the metal has to bend significantly in order to allow it to come off the pivot. Based on the thickness of the blade that seems nearly impossible when putting pressure against the blade and quite unlikely when putting pressure on the back of the blade.

some comparisons to other tools both in size and shape. I really don't like hybrid plier heads like the ones on the Leap or Victorinox Spirit. This is likely to be one of my first mods to the tool. I prefer to have a true set of needle nose pliers, especially in a tool this small which lacks leverage to be a proper wrench.

Overall this tool baffles me...I hadn't realized that they had made a MT with all outside opening implements so long ago and no one is talking about it.

Forget for a second that this was made for "kids" and realize that it has more tools than either the Wingman or Sidekick, is cheaper, better constructed, and much more compact. Not to mention this may be the best set of scissors I've seen Leatherman put on a multi-tool since the Original Wave. I would also like to mention that unlike even wave/charge or Surge the blade release is outside of the path of the blade making it even safer to use. Humorously it also has the fastest deployment of any bottle opener I've seen on a MT since the Philips opens with one hand very very easily.  :drink: :cheers:

Very very very happy with this as my new EDC as a teacher.

Cheer's
H.G.

P.S. the Pivot side of the pliers is the same as the Wave/Charge/Blast/fuse/Kick/Signal/Rebar etc.

HOWEVER, it has a thickness of 6.31mm where the thickness of those plier heads is 7.01mm on average. Meaning that I can't put a Rebar plier head in it without compromising its integrity.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:01:29 AM by Happy Gilmore »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 07:46:23 AM
Great write-up, HG! :like:

I've always felt the Leap to be a good sleeper tool for adults. And the excellent design, intended for safe use by kids, makes it good for anyone. Would love to see a Giant Leap version for heavy-duty work environments.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 08:55:34 AM
Great write-up, HG! :like:

I've always felt the Leap to be a good sleeper tool for adults. And the excellent design, intended for safe use by kids, makes it good for anyone. Would love to see a Giant Leap version for heavy-duty work environments.  :)

That'd be interesting.  I kinda wonder whether they will need to redesign structurally or use some high tech polymer to make it even stronger, since people did manage to break the metal pliers, with a bigger handle, there will be more leverage to do more damage.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 01:28:09 PM
Now I want one.

au Offline munecito

Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 01:52:31 PM
Well.

October challenge.

Red and all.

au Offline munecito

Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 01:54:35 PM
Why are there two leap clubs?

Mods. Could you please combine the two?  :dunno:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:25 PM

That'd be interesting.  I kinda wonder whether they will need to redesign structurally or use some high tech polymer to make it even stronger, since people did manage to break the metal pliers, with a bigger handle, there will be more leverage to do more damage.
:cheers:
It is the same pliers head found on the LM Rev and I don't see a lot of snapped Rev pliers.  :dunno:

Or possibly, because I am not well acquainted with the Leap/Rev, Is it the pliers or handles causing the issue?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
:cheers:
It is the same pliers head found on the LM Rev and I don't see a lot of snapped Rev pliers.  :dunno:

Or possibly, because I am not well acquainted with the Leap/Rev, Is it the pliers or handles causing the issue?

Yikes, I should have wrote that I just don't know with longer handles, whether the handle itself will be a little more vulnerable than the metal counterpart.  However, I just checked and compared it with my charge, and both handles do have some give when I start squeezing on them, and the Leap don't feel necessarily weaker than the Charge.  So I could be wrong?  :think:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2019, 04:55:52 PM
Leap with his friend, Charge :D
20190518_225217-01.jpg
* 20190518_225217-01.jpg (Filesize: 458.87 KB)

au Offline munecito

Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 05:18:38 PM

With its pocket clip

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85