Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leap Owner's Club

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Leap Owner's Club
Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 05:20:09 PM
Leap with his friend, Charge :D
:dd:
I know which color to go with next time I buy a Leap.
Great photo, comis! :like:

Yikes, I should have wrote that I just don't know with longer handles, whether the handle itself will be a little more vulnerable than the metal counterpart.  However, I just checked and compared it with my charge, and both handles do have some give when I start squeezing on them, and the Leap don't feel necessarily weaker than the Charge.  So I could be wrong?  :think:
Cool.  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

With its pocket clip
Very nice setup! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 05:30:45 PM
Has anyone figured out how to remove the blade from these, out of curiosity?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: May 18, 2019, 05:49:42 PM
Has anyone figured out how to remove the blade from these, out of curiosity?

In the manual, there's instruction on how to put on the blade.  Removing the blade, basically is the reversal of the process using the blade-holder.  If necessary, you could even do it by hand, just hold firm and be careful not to cut yourself.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 06:49:05 PM
Okay - you guys win.  I ordered a red one, through I might spray paint it yellow and black just to be different.

One vendor said these were discontinued, and they are no longer available at Wal-mart.  None could be found on Amazon Prime.  So I'm wondering what the future holds for the Leap.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 06:53:59 PM
In the manual, there's instruction on how to put on the blade.  Removing the blade, basically is the reversal of the process using the blade-holder.  If necessary, you could even do it by hand, just hold firm and be careful not to cut yourself.

Yes, but has anyone done it?  My understanding is that leatherman designed this to be a "one way" operation, and so was curious if anyone had uninstalled the blade without disassembling the tool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 09:01:37 PM
I will look at both later tonight and see what can be done :salute: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 09:08:38 PM
Great write up HG :like:

And yes a few of us have taken the blade out after installation  :cheers: we talked about it a few days ago in the Hacked LM club I think :think: :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 09:21:02 PM
Yes, but has anyone done it?  My understanding is that leatherman designed this to be a "one way" operation, and so was curious if anyone had uninstalled the blade without disassembling the tool.

Yes, I spoke from experience, I'd disengage the blade twice, once with and once without the tool.  Oh, btw, you also have to depress the liner lock to get the blade out(which you don't have to depress the liner lock when you are getting it in)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:33 PM
I will look at both later tonight and see what can be done :salute: :tu:

Thanks Poncho and munecito, I too think it probably is a better idea to have one club united than two divided.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:52 PM
I have merged the two threads   :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 10:01:15 PM
Thanks Steve :hatsoff: I was waiting to be on a computer instead of a phone to look at them but glad you came along and did it :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 10:10:05 PM
 :cheers:

au Offline munecito

Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 10:46:18 PM

Here I'm detaching the blade

https://youtu.be/hohUlr5GjYI

au Offline munecito

Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 10:49:08 PM
Okay - you guys win.  I ordered a red one, through I might spray paint it yellow and black just to be different.

One vendor said these were discontinued, and they are no longer available at Wal-mart.  None could be found on Amazon Prime.  So I'm wondering what the future holds for the Leap.

It still appears in the current lineup at Leatherman.com

https://www.leatherman.com/leap-358.html?dwvar_358_color=18&cgid=multi-tools#start=1

Also. There is a proposed October challenge for leap owners. Join us!

au Offline munecito

Reply #44 on: May 18, 2019, 10:55:45 PM
:dd:
I know which color to go with next time I buy a Leap.
Great photo, comis! :like:
Cool.  :cheers:

Very nice setup! :like:

I like the green much better than the red. But my niece picked the green for her.

The blue is always out of stock so wet know which one is the best selling colour.

au Offline munecito

Reply #45 on: May 18, 2019, 10:57:02 PM
I have merged the two threads   :tu:

:like:

Thank you Steve

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #46 on: May 19, 2019, 12:38:54 AM
Yes, I spoke from experience, I'd disengage the blade twice, once with and once without the tool.  Oh, btw, you also have to depress the liner lock to get the blade out(which you don't have to depress the liner lock when you are getting it in)

D'oh!   >:(

Of course.  Yeah it slides right out when you press on the locking tab. 

Feel pretty silly now.   :whistle:

Too bad the saw isn't also remove able.  This would be such a great platform for swapping tools in and out.  File, belt cutter, etc etc.  Would be amazing for flying.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 19, 2019, 03:33:14 AM
D'oh!   >:(

Of course.  Yeah it slides right out when you press on the locking tab. 

Feel pretty silly now.   :whistle:

Too bad the saw isn't also remove able.  This would be such a great platform for swapping tools in and out.  File, belt cutter, etc etc.  Would be amazing for flying.

Funny you mention that...I actually think that it might be possible to do this based on the way the pivots are made. From what I can tell the cuts into the pivots extend all the way through the tool. which means it might be possible to use the blade as a template to make the saw removable. This is definitely something I am considering after I first modify a few other tools to slot into the blade slot. I really want everyone to see the potential of this platform. I used it all day today and it was incredible at wood working. I found it more comfortable than even my Charge/Blast Hybrid. I have more pictures and other info to update a little later on.

Also you only need one security Torx to adjust the tool. The screw is located on the Saw or Scissor side of the tool.

Cheers,
H.G.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: May 19, 2019, 07:07:52 AM
Funny you mention that...I actually think that it might be possible to do this based on the way the pivots are made. From what I can tell the cuts into the pivots extend all the way through the tool. which means it might be possible to use the blade as a template to make the saw removable. This is definitely something I am considering after I first modify a few other tools to slot into the blade slot. I really want everyone to see the potential of this platform. I used it all day today and it was incredible at wood working. I found it more comfortable than even my Charge/Blast Hybrid. I have more pictures and other info to update a little later on.

Also you only need one security Torx to adjust the tool. The screw is located on the Saw or Scissor side of the tool.

Cheers,
H.G.

Indeed, the contoured handle is definitely quite comfortable to hold onto, and personally, I really love the weight saving this tool offers.  It only weighs around 131g(4.6oz) and it disappear like a 4-5 layers SAK in pocket.

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 19, 2019, 02:12:52 PM
Indeed, the contoured handle is definitely quite comfortable to hold onto, and personally, I really love the weight saving this tool offers.  It only weighs around 131g(4.6oz) and it disappear like a 4-5 layers SAK in pocket.

Everything about the tool is surprising. Also, the scissors still have the issue of having material slide between the blades. So far only SAK, Surge, and Original wave scissors really meet my expectations. However, this one is above average. I was also able to use the scissor as an awl in softer wood. Still quite happy with it so far. And it's $40! That's crazyness

au Offline munecito

Reply #50 on: May 19, 2019, 02:57:08 PM
My scissors have been remarkably good. No biting on material so far. Not even on the gaffer tape.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: May 19, 2019, 03:07:15 PM
My scissors have been remarkably good. No biting on material so far. Not even on the gaffer tape.

I just tried Leap with cling wrap, it didn't give very clean towards the pivot each time, but if I were only using the front half of the scissors to cut, it did alright. 

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 19, 2019, 03:09:36 PM

I just tried Leap with cling wrap, it didn't give very clean towards the pivot each time, but if I were only using the front half of the scissors to cut, it did alright.

Same experience, I want to clarify that it's WAY better than the wave + /charge scissors on cuts. However, SAK is still king

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: May 19, 2019, 03:20:05 PM
Same experience, I want to clarify that it's WAY better than the wave + /charge scissors on cuts. However, SAK is still king

No kidding, just tried the same cling wrap with my trusted Mountaineer 91mm, pass it with flying colors.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: May 20, 2019, 10:04:35 PM

Not sure about prime, but it's in Amazon as of now...and none blue! :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 01:49:22 AM
Wanted to get a true review up of the Leap before I start modding the tool.

Sorry its a little long.

Cheers,
H.G.

https://youtu.be/ayuN4xqqxiM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: May 21, 2019, 12:30:51 PM
Not sure about prime, but it's in Amazon as of now...and none blue! :facepalm:

Ebay has a few of each color, including blue :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: May 24, 2019, 02:19:49 AM
Some quick videos, an update on the tool and another showcasing the one handed mod.

https://youtu.be/giSVVFk6WIA

The Mod for OHT Blade was so easy to do...its amazing that it didn't come this way. Very easy to use one handed now.

https://youtu.be/NGy9ttJ333o

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 04:06:32 PM
Great job making it OH, HG :like:

au Offline munecito

Reply #59 on: May 25, 2019, 09:48:46 AM
Great job.

To do it to the saw, you could actually drill a hole in the actual saw to make it thumb accessible instead of nail indented.

I think they made it that way so kids don't deploy it in a hurry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%