Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leap Owner's Club

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Leap Owner's Club
Reply #60 on: May 25, 2019, 10:36:41 AM
Awesome job making it more accessible! :like:

au Offline munecito

Reply #61 on: May 25, 2019, 10:40:36 AM
Making a fashion statement

Colour coordinated.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: May 25, 2019, 11:37:27 AM
Making a fashion statement

Colour coordinated.

(Image removed from quote.)

Red on red, I like that too! :tu:

au Offline munecito

Reply #63 on: May 25, 2019, 08:38:51 PM
Some quick videos, an update on the tool and another showcasing the one handed mod.

The Mod for OHT Blade was so easy to do...its amazing that it didn't come this way. Very easy to use one handed now.

Cheers,
H.G.

Have you gotten around to unscrew the blades side?

Seeing that the straight blade is on the same pivot that the saw. Would it be possible that the saw have the same flat spots on the pivot and could be modified to be detached like the straight blade?

It would need a bit of extra work leaving a little bump for the liner lock to slide on. Also I think I can see a washer in there which the blade doesn't have.

Just throwing ideas here.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: May 25, 2019, 09:28:58 PM
There is a picture if it on my Pinterest board but the pivot tapers down to the thinner diameter. The side with the saw doesn't have the same Mechanism so no dice. On the other hand u can mod a wave saw to slot in to the blade slot and put a file on the saw side. If you really want true bladeless. Strangely the liner locks have a curved portion that lines up perfectly with rebar/blast internal tools. They won't lock but they open fully and snug. Video later on this.

Furthermore u can use a Leatherman charge spacer to step down the pivot diameter on a wave file to slot on that side as well.

Is having a saw an issue?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:34:36 PM by Happy Gilmore »

au Offline munecito

Reply #65 on: May 26, 2019, 03:42:56 AM
Only when taking a plane.

But here in Australia they are so inconsistent that one person may allow it and next time it would be taken from you.

I have had Allen keys and jeweller screwdrivers taken after being in several planes.

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: May 26, 2019, 07:22:56 PM
Only when taking a plane.

But here in Australia they are so inconsistent that one person may allow it and next time it would be taken from you.

I have had Allen keys and jeweller screwdrivers taken after being in several planes.

Sounds to me that it is too inconsistent to be worth carrying anything. Might as well just put it into checked baggage.

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: June 11, 2019, 07:31:43 PM
BTW, the link for the Leap Club isn't working, had to find the thread a different way. UPDATE plz?

Added Wave file to the Leap as a removable option. It is a bit thinner than the blade so it needed some Braeon tape to thicken the profile. Not a perfect fix but made it stay a little better. I really like having the file over the Blade if I am going to carry a larger dedicated folder or fixed blade. Its a very very light and capable package now with a diamond/metal file.

Cheers,
H.G.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: June 11, 2019, 09:50:06 PM
Link updated, thanks for notifying.

au Offline munecito

Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:48 AM
BTW, the link for the Leap Club isn't working, had to find the thread a different way. UPDATE plz?

Added Wave file to the Leap as a removable option. It is a bit thinner than the blade so it needed some Braeon tape to thicken the profile. Not a perfect fix but made it stay a little better. I really like having the file over the Blade if I am going to carry a larger dedicated folder or fixed blade. Its a very very light and capable package now with a diamond/metal file.

Cheers,
H.G.

That it's amazing

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: June 12, 2019, 11:56:01 AM
Always great to have the diamond file as an option :dd: :like:

au Offline munecito

Reply #71 on: June 13, 2019, 09:19:17 AM
It is a shame that the surge file and saw holder can't be cut to be used on the leap.

With the great shape and ergonomics of the leap it would be great to use it with a T shank saw.

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: June 14, 2019, 01:13:22 AM
It is a shame that the surge file and saw holder can't be cut to be used on the leap.

With the great shape and ergonomics of the leap it would be great to use it with a T shank saw.

I'm not quite sure it's the right place for it frankly. The leap will never replace the surge. What I love about the Leap with a file is that it becomes blade-less with some of the best tools (other than a blade) that a Multi-tool can carry, all while being under 5oz and almost completely 1 handed.

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: September 05, 2019, 03:32:48 AM
Looks like they are going to discontinue this tool. Sad, but I understand why.

:cry:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #74 on: September 05, 2019, 04:28:11 AM
When do they plan on doing that?
Its still on LM's website.

Ill be buying another Rev or 2 at home Depot. Just because they are discon and I love mine.

But after reading this thread, seems like its as good of a MT as the other LMs. Might be worth buying.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: September 05, 2019, 01:17:14 PM
Sad to see any tool discontinued  :-\ I may have to snag one of these for myself as the one that is in my household ATM belongs to my little girl :salute: :D

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: September 06, 2019, 10:23:38 PM
When do they plan on doing that?
Its still on LM's website.

Ill be buying another Rev or 2 at home Depot. Just because they are discon and I love mine.

But after reading this thread, seems like its as good of a MT as the other LMs. Might be worth buying.

The leap is definitely worth buying. Oh and here is my latest mod of the Leap:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #77 on: October 04, 2019, 01:12:42 AM
Happened to get an email from LM.

Leaps (as a few others) are on sale. Its down to $30 from $40.

Now may be a good time to buy.  :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #78 on: November 13, 2019, 10:37:41 PM
I got my Son a red Leap for his 8th birthday (he is already 10 now!!!) and he loves it. So do I for that matter. Initially, we stored it out of his reach and he asked Mom or Dad if he could handle it. After I was confident in his respect for the tool, he now keeps it in his room and uses as he deems appropriate. Usually every night prior to tucking in, we sit down and go through his emerging collection and I will run through all the implements on his Leap. I need to get a picture of him with it to share with the group (and update my avatar).

I think Leatherman could easily expand this tool into a line, I would say to replace the Juice line and even the Wingman/Sidekick. I even think it has a lot of potential as a high-end/tactical tool if instead of GFN they used G10 and/or carbon fiber for the handle/chassis. Either way, they need to offer an adult-ized version.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #79 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:58 PM
Now thats awesome rdub  :tu:

when he gets older, he will remember who got him using MTs.  :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: November 14, 2019, 02:05:28 PM
I got my Son a red Leap for his 8th birthday (he is already 10 now!!!) and he loves it. So do I for that matter. Initially, we stored it out of his reach and he asked Mom or Dad if he could handle it. After I was confident in his respect for the tool, he now keeps it in his room and uses as he deems appropriate. Usually every night prior to tucking in, we sit down and go through his emerging collection and I will run through all the implements on his Leap. I need to get a picture of him with it to share with the group (and update my avatar).

I think Leatherman could easily expand this tool into a line, I would say to replace the Juice line and even the Wingman/Sidekick. I even think it has a lot of potential as a high-end/tactical tool if instead of GFN they used G10 and/or carbon fiber for the handle/chassis. Either way, they need to offer an adult-ized version.

Agree 100%, I've always been impressed with the tool. I would have preferred they had a file over the saw and made both a removable saw and blade. It's been a great too, with a pocket clip and aluminum scales it would have been a hit on all fronts.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: November 14, 2019, 04:39:16 PM

Cool  :cheers:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #82 on: December 10, 2019, 07:46:17 PM
Just got my Leap. First impressions...Ill enjoy it as much as my other LMs.

I now officially own every size of Leathermans. "Pocket size" was the only one I didnt have. Id even pay $40 for the Leap. But $30 is even better.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: December 10, 2019, 10:45:36 PM
Congrats on getting a Leap, BM :tu: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #84 on: December 11, 2019, 02:20:10 AM
I was one of the first to jump on the Leap. When I found the tool to be recalled, I waited a little and bought a newer set. Leatherman saw fit to make a slight change to the blade to denote if the tool is a post recall model. The newer version only has 3 bumps as opposed to the original 4 bumps on the blade spine.

Recall info:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2014/leatherman-recalls-childrens-multi-tool

Original set.

Newer set.

You can see the original blade with 4 spine bumps and above it, the newer 3 bump blade.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: December 11, 2019, 12:12:13 PM
Great collector info, Chako :salute: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: December 11, 2019, 12:50:32 PM
From what I can tell, I do not see any visible differences between the pre and post recall Leaps...only the slight blade difference. Thus, if you were to buy one without a blade, you may get either...albeit I am sure the pre-recall was a smaller run than those that came after the recall. I believe the issue was with the main body and not the blade...as I have both and they appear to be identical. if there are any differences, I cannot see it with the naked eye.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: December 11, 2019, 05:21:24 PM
Didn't the recall have to do something with the blade coming back out to easily or while in use :think: If so it may be something more internal in the body of the Leap :shrug: could you see if anything inside where the blade is suppose to install looks different? :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: December 12, 2019, 01:55:01 AM
I cannot see anything visible...so yes, it is definitely internal. I always thought it odd that there were no changes to the body of the Leap, only to the blade.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #89 on: December 12, 2019, 02:00:55 AM
Im no engineer but I cant think of a good way to change it. For what it is...I am reqlly happy with it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%