Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Última PowerAssist!

buck · 11 · 3120

us Offline buck

Última PowerAssist!
on: May 16, 2015, 12:57:25 PM
I just received a PowerAssist I ordered from SOG warranty department customized with components exactly the way I wanted it, with scissors, awl, bit driver, and file.

I started with the sales department and was first told they don't swap out tools anymore.  So I started asking about buying the parts individually and the extra shim and washer pack and doing it myself as I had heard of online.  The sales guy knew nothing about the the extra shim and washer pack, perhaps it was discontinued before his time.  I politely asked if it wouldn't make more sense to have their warranty department do it, make sure it's all right, than to have them ship to me, me bugger it up, and ship it back to warranty and they fix it and ship it back to me.

He put me on hold, came back, and said it turns out they will sell it through warranty just the way I want.

At this point they got me just exactly what I want.  Mind you, warranty isn't the best at communication about it.  I was told I'd get an email which never happened.  I called back and the best I got was an order number over the phone. So what? These warranty guys are blue collar guys fixing and assembling tools.  I have in my hands the very tool I wanted inside of 2 weeks, so I couldn't be happier.

Try that out with Victorinox and see what you get.

SOG's price for a base PowerAssist is much higher than what you could buy one from Amazon for.  But you then still have to buy the add on parts.  SOG gives you credit for the unused parts you are swapping out for so it all pretty much evens out (unless you'd rather tinker yourself and value those extra parts).

I decided to remove the inside tool cover for faster access.

Here you can see no washers were used.  The scissors and bit driver each took up 2 of the 6 available slots which I used for the file and awl.

Drivers are still available with the bit kit.

The PowerAssist and bit kit fit just fine in a nylon Leatherman Surge sheath which I like because it affords horizontal belt carry.

My newly expanded SOG family portrait.  From top to bottom, West Marine Performance Sailing Tool, PowerAssist, BlackTip.

PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Última PowerAssist!
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:05:37 PM
Wow, very cool.  :tu:  Which one do you like the most out of those three?

us Offline buck

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 03:09:23 PM
BlackTip for the money.  Still available from West Marine for $29.

That aside, I love the West Marine Performance Sailing tool for quality and the marlinspike but if forced to choose I'd have to keep the PowerAssist because of the toolset.

OK, both my kidneys.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 03:17:03 PM
I wonder if you could replace the serrated blade with the marlin spike for an ultimate PowerAssist.  :D

us Offline buck

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 03:33:23 PM
I wonder if you could replace the serrated blade with the marlin spike for an ultimate PowerAssist.  :D

Great idea!  That's an ultimate PowerAssist assist!

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline buck

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 03:35:58 PM
The West Marine Performance Sailing tool has no assist springs, not sure how that would or wouldn't jive with the spike.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:17:58 PM
That is really cool! However, I was sort of hoping they replaced one of the knife blades with something else.

I think they would sell more PAs if they offered other options on the assisted opening tools. Just my humble opinion.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:50 PM
Very cool :tu: i didnt know you could call them and ask them to do it. Is that new?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline buck

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 10:45:17 PM
Inside of West Marine Performance Sailing Tool and PowerAssist

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:10:33 PM
That was very cool of them to do that. Nice BTW! Love the tool load out that you choose.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline buck

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:03:35 PM
I decided to order another but this time in black oxide. 

I asked about the spike and he said they didn't have any;  that West Marine was doing the warranty work of those tools.

OK, both my kidneys.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD