Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom SAK fix/modification

Offline cambyz28

• New User
Custom SAK fix/modification
on: May 17, 2015, 04:15:18 AM
I bought a Urban Mechanic a couple years ago from Felinevet that I believe was made by Syph007.
It was what I had wanted for awhile a Alox scaled knife with pliers.

The only complaints I had was the fit and finish was not quite what I hoped for.
The scales had spots and not great anodizing and the pliers when closed where still open about a 1/8".
The pliers gap constanly pinched me and bothered me also it didn't have a nail groove so...

I finally to it apart and used a set of pliers from another SAX and ground it less than original and now it fits great and has a nail groove. 

Sometimes when you want something done properly you just have to do it yourself.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Custom SAK fix/modification
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 05:00:29 AM
That's a bit of a blast from my past.  Looks like a very early model back when I was just starting.  Ive since learned better plier tweaking and you're right the pliers didnt need so much ground from the handle.  I also grind the saw spring rest a little lower now to let the pliers not stick up so far.

Looks like you've got it sorted, but if you need anything else for a fix let me know.

Cheers
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:02:30 PM
Neat!!
It's great to see a well loved and used SAK get a makeover. I particularly appreciate the craftsmanship in making the nail nick on the pliers. What did you use to make that nick?
Good job!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:05:16 PM by neillcurrie »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:40:17 PM
Neat!!
It's great to see a well loved and used SAK get a makeover. I particularly appreciate the craftsmanship in making the nail nick on the pliers. What did you use to make that nick?
Good job!

The pliers on 111mm models come with a nail nick.  ;)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:02:33 PM
That's a bit of a blast from my past.  Looks like a very early model back when I was just starting.  Ive since learned better plier tweaking and you're right the pliers didnt need so much ground from the handle.  I also grind the saw spring rest a little lower now to let the pliers not stick up so far.

Looks like you've got it sorted, but if you need anything else for a fix let me know.

Cheers

It's always great to see your work Syph - That one is a sort of 'debut album' example isn't it? No one is going to arrive fully formed as a modder and it's a part of what's made you such an exceptional and in-demand modder now.

Great that the OP has actually modded an original Syph mod too - a good learning experience.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:14:41 PM
Neat!!
Good job!

The pliers on 111mm models come with a nail nick.  ;)

Thanks, I didn't know that.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:17:01 AM
Props to Robert for the gracious reply.  I know that one (or two, no names) of the other modders that have called this place home would have been very "defencive" of similar criticism of their work, even of early learning phase examples.

Glad the OP has the knife looking, feeling and working more to his taste.  But aint that what modding is all about in the first place?

:tu:  all round

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD