Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cycle to work scheme

Weasel · 42 · 2258

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Cycle to work scheme
Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 07:07:31 PM
There are parts of this city that are pretty hilly, so I'm glad that I have the extra gears on my MTB.  Biking to and from work for me is working out well, another thing I'm glad for is the suspension on my bike.  The roads and sidewalks around here suck.

I've only got one hill on my way home from work so I suppose I'm lucky it's also under 3 miles away so not much of a ride but it always made me feel good cycling to and from work

My commute is also about 3 miles, and pretty flat except for one shallow incline.  It's when I go into downtown that I encounter real hills.
If you riding mostly in the city I'd think about getting a hub geared bicycle as they work brilliantly in stop, start riding :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 07:20:20 PM
I've been thinking about that.  My plan right now is to use the bike I have for the time being and save up for a dedicated urban bicycle.  The accessories I have planned can all be transferred to a new ride with no problem. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 07:23:10 PM
The hills was the reason i stopped riding my fixed gear  :-\ i do love fixed but sadly my fitness level is low compared too a few years ago,these days i enjoy my gears  :tu:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:00 PM
Yeah I know what you mean when I had my fat bike and went in the woods I didn't need half of the gears.
If I get a new bike it will be manly footpaths and road on the way to work and on evenings I'd just be riding in the park with my young son so can't decide what bike would be best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah there's  nothing wrong with something like that
All I know is I want to get bak on 2 wheels now my back is fine again

What about this or something similar?

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B2766.html

She's a pretty much do anything bicycle :)
Weasel

Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 07:58:33 PM
Ridgeback make some very nice bicycles and are well worth a look :)

Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 07:59:26 PM
I've been thinking about that.  My plan right now is to use the bike I have for the time being and save up for a dedicated urban bicycle.  The accessories I have planned can all be transferred to a new ride with no problem. :tu:
Porteur racks seem to very popular your side of the pond :)

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 08:10:22 PM
The cycle to work scheme is a sham, I got my letter of confirmation and when I worked out the figures out , I was paying back the full amount I'd asked for. I soon cancelled my contract with the scheme.
Weasel

Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:15 PM
Yeah unless your a big earner (which defeats the bloody point if you ask me) they rarely work out which is why I bought mine on finance from Tredz :)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 09:54:26 AM
I wouldn't call it a sham - it's quite a nice way of getting a bike for a bit less than list price with an interest free loan.  But, you can usually find what you want cheaper elsewhere (most shops won't discount bikes on the CTW scheme, andd you have to pay an admin fee) so if you've got the cash buy it outright, or as Mike says, on finance.

Hope you do find something suitable eventually Weasel.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 10:19:32 PM
I wouldn't call it a sham - it's quite a nice way of getting a bike for a bit less than list price with an interest free loan.  But, you can usually find what you want cheaper elsewhere (most shops won't discount bikes on the CTW scheme, andd you have to pay an admin fee) so if you've got the cash buy it outright, or as Mike says, on finance.

Hope you do find something suitable eventually Weasel.

Ill get something eventually but have put the bike thing on the back burner for now as I need to concentrate my cash on other things. :salute:
Weasel

nz Offline Henry

Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 12:39:54 AM
I agree on checking the figures, 42% is best case and it depends how much you earn and how much tax you pay.

Halfords don't tell you, but they will source from other stores. I used to work for Leisure Lakes when I was in the UK, and they supplied bikes for Halfords when customers wanted more exotic brands, as they had accounts with almost every manufacturer.
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 09:23:25 AM
I agree on checking the figures, 42% is best case and it depends how much you earn and how much tax you pay.

Halfords don't tell you, but they will source from other stores. I used to work for Leisure Lakes when I was in the UK, and they supplied bikes for Halfords when customers wanted more exotic brands, as they had accounts with almost every manufacturer.

thats very interesting  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD