Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm thinking of buying a Wenger Micro-Light Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
I have a Vic Mini Champ and I love it!
B

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
I've been thinking of geting one of those too. Also it would be better if it had red translucent scales and a flashlight.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:16:21 AM by american lockpicker »
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
What do you guys think of it? Heres a link http://www.photonlight.com/PTC-Swiss-Army-Knife-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/smld-wenger-swiss-army-knife.htm

Looks like it could be a great little keychain SAK, but only if Wenger is putting decent white LEDs into them.

The latest Nichia white LEDs can pump out an amazing volume of light from a button cell light, supposedly around 10 lumens.  Even older Nichia white LEDs put out 5 lumens from fresh button cells.

So far, the few SAKs with LED lights that I've examined have left me disappointed with their dimness while running on fresh cells.

Why bother with putting a LED light into a SAK, if it isn't as capable as an obsolete cheap plastic, button cell squeeze light?

N

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Agreed. Plus it is much more versatile to have separate light - you can point it wherever you like and use the SAK at the same time, and you can use it with any SAK you like.

But I am pretty obsessive about this stuff and use a flashlight and SAK together all the time... :)
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Agreed. Plus it is much more versatile to have separate light - you can point it wherever you like and use the SAK at the same time, and you can use it with any SAK you like.

But I am pretty obsessive about this stuff and use a flashlight and SAK together all the time... :)

I agree that a separate LED light and SAK make for a more versatile combo to carry.

However, having a LED light built into your SAK doesn't stop you from carrying a separate LED light.  The SAK's LED light could serve as a backup, if nothing else.

Embedding a LED light adds very little bulk and weight to the SAK.  The greater price for the SAK could easily be justified, if it was even a half-decent LED light.

Disclaimer:

I'm not criticizing the light in this Wenger model, because I haven't examined or read a review of this model.

The only SAKs with LED lights that I've examined were both Vics.  Both those Vics had really dim outputs with fresh cells (estimated 1 to 2 lumens.)

Maybe Wenger does embedded LED lights better than Vic - wouldn't be the first thing Wenger does better than Vic.

N

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
The Wenger is a nicer size (65mm instead of 58mm).
Wish it had the little Wharncliffe blade and the Phillips like Vic's Minichamp though.

If you want to skip the light, you can get some nice scales on the PTC:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:37:40 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

• No Life Club
I thought about it but, I think the translucent red scales look better.
(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Those are excellent points, ringzero. You made me want to get one myself now! :D

american lockpicker: If you do decide to get it, please do let us know what you think of it.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Personnelly I'd go down the Mini Champ Fauxton route too, I've had a play with a Midnite manager, and while the LED is better than nothing it's really to dim to be useful, and I suspect the PTC would be the same :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
The PTC LED is white, not red, and much brighter.

R

us Offline revolvergeek

Re: I'm thinking of buying a Wenger Micro-Light Pocket Tool Chest
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:48:39 AM
I have a PTC Micro-Light with translucent orange scales that I picked up from Felinevet a while back. It is a very handy little knife, and I prefer it to the MiniChamp. One of the scales cracked, but it is still quite solid. I keep it in my EDC bag in a little tin with my travel toothbrush & paste, floss, a Mini-Bic, etc.. The white led isn't very bright, but it is still useful.

Offline appletree_man

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:51:38 AM
I have a stainless steel scales PTC, it's a tough little sod  :)  I don't like the idea of SAKs with built in lights.
T

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:58:27 AM
I like the idea. I'm just underwhelmed with the implementation  :-\   

That said, I haven't seen the output from the new Vic. 58mm knives with the white LEDs.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 07:07:38 AM
Well it looks like I'll be getting it. I just won a $25.00 gift certificate from www.photonlight.com.
(

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 06:56:39 PM
I have a Micro Lite pocket tool chest and a Midnite Minichhamp---there is a BIG difference in power since the white led is much more powerful and handy to light your way while the red led is rather weak and will only do minimal lighting jobs.

One large minus for the Micro Lite is that the switch is rather cheaply made and is faulty. The handle/scale is actually the thing you press on and it contacts a slim momentary switch (actually just a thin sheet of metal) that touches the battery. The problem I see is with heavy use the contact area between the battery and the metal gets a little "used" or something and it "wears out". You find yourself pressing very hard to make the connection. 1 temporary fix I found is to switch out the batteries since that will "refresh" the area on the battery where the contact is made. The Vic Minichamp has a much better switch.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 07:09:36 PM
Welcome to the forums! When I switched over from my Micra,I went to the Midnite Mini-Champ,it didn't take me long to realize that I was better off have light and  tool seperated.I've had a Manager and Photon II on my keyring since and satisifed with the set-up.
I

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 10:38:41 PM
I think that the perfect combo would be a SAK and a seperate light IMHO.

I had a INOVA attached to my Soldier and it was a great combo the only trouble was that static electric would turn on the light.

I think that the MAG solitary is a handy little light to carry.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 12:54:22 AM
The light on the SAK is a back-up for your "real" flashlight
(since even the best flashlight has dead batteries sometimes).

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD