Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

new Leatherman Freestyle multitool shown at 2007 SHOT show

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Here is a new Leatherman Freestyle multitool shown at 2007 SHOT show:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=2730032

There will be 3 versions.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: new Leatherman Freestyle multitool shown at 2007 SHOT show
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:24:52 PM
Whoa! That is one radical looking device! Thanks for finding that one parnass!

I like the minimalist concept.  :)

I like the carabiner.  :)

I don't like that it won't be available until November.  :(

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:35:15 AM
Uhhh... $50-100 for a plier, blade and screwdriver?  Did I miss something?  Has Leatherman put all their money into stock at SOG and Victorinox?

Or just too many stops at the local pub?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:16:57 AM
Could be. On the other hand, it seems like "suggested retail price" doesn't mean too much. I think they purposely make the MSRP high, so that you think you are getting a great deal when you find the actual price is so much less.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Splat

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:38:55 AM
If they make the screwdrivers as big as the Phillips harpoon on my LM Core than I'll definitely check into it. I like the minimalist selection of knife, pliers, and screwdrivers. That's all I really use anyway. Cool! :D
Splat

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:43:22 AM
Could be. On the other hand, it seems like "suggested retail price" doesn't mean too much. I think they purposely make the MSRP high, so that you think you are getting a great deal when you find the actual price is so much less.

That's it exactly.  I spent enough time working retail and sales jobs to know that.  But even considering 20% less, at $40, it's still pretty hefty for very little.

I'd rather spend $50 on another Spirit and pretend it doesn't have the saw, file, bottle opener, can opener, hook etc...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:49:21 AM
It's a little too fancy for my tastes.  Carrying anything that's prettier than a SwissTool Spirit would make me feel like I'm carrying a purse.  Maybe one of the other two variations will look a little bit less like a diamond bracelet.  Anyone know if it uses a standard hex driver or those Leatherman specials?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:23 AM
In a way, the new Freestyle is sort of like an enhanced Leatherman e307 knife. (Carabiner, knife blade and bit driver only.)

Except that the Freestyle adds pliers, of course.

* e306x-e307x-diagram.jpg (Filesize: 28.84 KB)

Offline bobofish

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:24:36 AM
A couple of you guys are missing the point; this is a multitool for people who don't want to be carrying a multitool. This is a carry in your suit jacket pocket kind of dealybob. Like a slim folder, but with a couple extra things. Frankly I think it's a great idea. I probablly won't get it because I like my Charge, but if I find myself wearing slacks more often, I'll definitely consider it.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:14:23 AM
I usually wear slacks--except when I'm not wearing pants.   :angel:  For me the SwissTool Spirit is perfect for pocket carry--even in dress pants.  The Charge pocket clip is convenient for pocket carry when I'm wearing casual pants during the weekend. 

I like the minimalist concept of the Leatherman Freestyle but not it's design.  It looks like it should come in a gift tin with some diamond cuff links.   O0   I haven't seen the other two versions yet.  Maybe I'll like them better.  But I'm pretty sure that I'd prefer that Leatherman just continue manufacturing the SideClip. 

Offline damota

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 10:03:17 PM
When you enlarge that photo it looks pretty good to me. As Bob said it looks more like a knife than a multi when closed. It has a bit driver rather than a separate screw driver so any extended bit could be used to get a longer reach. It seems to have a carabiner type design that will act as a cap lifter like the one on their knives. I think it would be ideal for someone who needed a knife and screw drivers with occasional need for pliers. If I am right carrying any extra driver bits would be a problem though.

Dave
P2_250x150_NP_leatherman.jpg
* P2_250x150_NP_leatherman.jpg (Filesize: 34.21 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 04:47:25 AM
It looks like they should have named it the Leatherman Swisscheese. 

(although Vic probably already has a copyright on any name with a "swiss" prefix)  :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 04:27:59 AM
I finally found a better picture of the Freestyle. Pliers, knife, bit driver, carabiner. Only the bare essentials.
Leatherman Freestyle.jpg
* Leatherman Freestyle.jpg (Filesize: 42.99 KB)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 05:28:21 AM
Ahhh nice, very nice.... ;) but does it have a pocket clip? They include one and I am so there...if not, I'll stick to my Wave or Charge.

David

Offline damota

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 02:49:05 PM
I must say that for a butterfly design I really like it. Like David, just have to find out if it has a clip and also what the blade size is and I may retire my EDC Spyderco and carry one of those instead.

Dave

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 03:45:55 PM
J-sews where did you find such a good picture of the tool?  There's not a site pre-ordering this tool is there?  I must agree though a clip would finish the package off right. The knives they make have a clip and carabiner so maybe there is hope.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 06:57:10 PM
J-sews where did you find such a good picture of the tool?  There's not a site pre-ordering this tool is there?  I must agree though a clip would finish the package off right. The knives they make have a clip and carabiner so maybe there is hope.

Sounds like we are all hoping for a pocket clip on this one. (Hopefully Leatherman marketing people are listening!)

I combed the internet last night, looking for any info at all on the Freestyle. Leatherman is being annoyingly tight-lipped about this one. Other than the little blurb at the ESPN Shot Show report, there was no information to be found. The picture came from a guy in Japan who was visiting the Show.

I'll continue searching for more......

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 02:46:44 AM
Hmmm, no mention of a pocket clip in Doug Ritter's Shot Show report.  :(
Nice to hear that it has a liner-locking knife blade.  :)
Too bad the bit driver is for flattened Leatherman bits.  :(
But at least there is room to store a spare bit in the other handle.  :)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:50:42 AM
Another bad thing is it looks like we have to wait to November to see the final product. :(
"

Offline damota

Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 02:55:57 PM
Hmmm, no mention of a pocket clip in Doug Ritter's Shot Show report.  :(
Nice to hear that it has a liner-locking knife blade.  :)
Too bad the bit driver is for flattened Leatherman bits.  :(
But at least there is room to store a spare bit in the other handle.  :)

They do emphasize that it is not the final design so if they get enough feedback we may get a clip.
A removable clip would be nice even if sold as an extra.

Dave

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 04:34:00 PM
I vote for the pocket clip.  The integral biner is nice, but I'd rather see design without it that has a clip.  they could even have a fold-out biner like the knives have if they really like that.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 06:25:25 PM

They do emphasize that it is not the final design so if they get enough feedback we may get a clip.....

I motion that we all keep nagging them until they add a clip to the design.

(I should be quite good at nagging. I've been living with an expert on the subject for over twenty years!)  :) 

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 06:39:45 PM

(I should be quite good at nagging. I've been living with an expert on the subject for over twenty years!)  :) 

Ouch!  I guess she never looks over your shoulder.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 01:52:22 AM
I copied this picture from the ETS website.  Looking at it closely, I can see the extra bit stored in the near handle.

On the far handle, it appears as if the bit driver is a solid (non-folding) device attached to the base.

Offline damota

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 01:50:58 PM
If you size that tool using the bit you can see in that photo it is about 41/4" with a blade having just about a 2" cutting edge, maybe you are just supposed to carry it as a pocket knife and hang it by the carabiner before use.  :(
Anyhow I have emailed them about a pocket clip, if I get a reply I will post it.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 01:58:40 PM by damota »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 04:57:39 PM
Myself and at least two other members have emailed Leatherman about the Freestyle. We've suggested they include a pocket clip on the design, as well as a few frame material suggestions.

(So far there has only been one reply from Leatherman, the content of which left me wondering if the person had even heard of the Freestyle.)   ::)

I don't know if we'll have any effect on the final design, but it can't hurt to try!

~Bob

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 09:06:58 PM
Sometimes I wonder if only the designers even know about the new tools ahead of time.  I have had similiar bewildering answers about new tools in the past.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 02:38:08 AM
On the far handle, it appears as if the bit driver is a solid (non-folding) device attached to the base.
The clever part is that the carabiner shrouds the bit in the bitholder when closed, so you can leave a bit mounted without puncturing anything. Nice!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 02:49:49 AM
Hey Gryffin, glad you can join us!

Do you have any new info on the Freestyle?

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 03:22:23 AM
Hey Gryffin, glad you can join us!
Glad to be here!

Do you have any new info on the Freestyle?
Nope, just what you folks have already seen at ETS and such. I've offered my services (numerous times!) to LM as a tester/reviewer, but they haven't called me back yet.

Gotta admit, I'm excited about the Freestyle. That's the first multitool knife blade that looks like it could replace a folding knife.

I'm *really* curious about what variations they'll offer. I read somwhere there would be three models, $60-$100. I'm hoping one of those will include an extra "survival" implement, like scissors (suburban survival) or a saw (wilderness survival).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%