Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Silvertech scales

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Silvertech scales
on: May 29, 2015, 12:27:47 AM
Just picked up a batch of Vics. One of them is a Spartan with silvertech scales. Thinking of putting them on a Huntsman. Never swapped that type of scales. Is it any different from standard scales?

Thanks

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Silvertech scales
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:23 AM
Just picked up a batch of Vics. One of them is a Spartan with silvertech scales. Thinking of putting them on a Huntsman. Never swapped that type of scales. Is it any different from standard scales?

Thanks

I have quite a few replacement scales, silvertech and others, and they all seem identical structurally. Cellidor (and nylon) scales are single use though, when they are removed the holes always get damaged, no matter how carefully they are removed. I have heard of ppl using glue to keep them tight, but I haven't had satisfactory results reusing scales. I remember Felinevet having some new silvertech scales if you're looking for replacements.  :salute:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:05:06 AM
the best way to remove scales and reuse them is to use very hot water(not boiling, dont want melting)

and gently pry. 

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:12:33 AM
Same. Same process as any other scales.
I've swapped 58's and 91's.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:29:35 AM
Swapped scales with a black-handled Super Tinker, a model normally not available with silvertech scales (I'm a modder!  :D ). A definite improvement in looks.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 04:52:45 AM
Even if the bushing holes get damaged, dab a little epoxy in each hole using a toothpick, apply pressure till set, and the scales stay on just fine.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:58:16 AM
Using glue or epoxy can get "damaged" scales back on, but if you ever want to remove them again your screwed for the most part. You can also (while rare) gum up the tools on the knife if using glue to attach scales.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:13:55 AM
I got some pen scales for 58mm off ebay labeled as "new takeoffs".  They seamed to snap on well with no glue and I've had no issues.  I imagine if you take them on and off too many times they will loose there ability to stick.
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:35:02 AM
I use Goop brand Glue it stays flexible but holds well.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:37:52 AM
Just be carefull when removing the scales from thier corrent knife that you don't scratch the silver coating/paint on the backside of the scales. I have scrateched this coating wile replacing twizers.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:06:55 PM
Using glue or epoxy can get "damaged" scales back on, but if you ever want to remove them again your screwed for the most part. You can also (while rare) gum up the tools on the knife if using glue to attach scales.

Providing you use epoxy sparingly you're fine. That's why I suggested the use of a toothpick, just a little does it.
I have never had a problem with gummed up tools, nor with removing the scales again after epoxying.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:06 PM
I still think that new factory replacements are the best way to go. Reused scales are never right in my experience. I have an extra set from Tim (if he's out of them) that I would happily send you CS. If your heart is set on silvertech, you might as well have fresh new stuff. PM me if you want them.  :)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 02:57:18 AM
I still think that new factory replacements are the best way to go. Reused scales are never right in my experience. I have an extra set from Tim (if he's out of them) that I would happily send you CS. If your heart is set on silvertech, you might as well have fresh new stuff. PM me if you want them.  :)

Appreciate the offer, but already did the switch and it seems to be working ok. Was a rather extemporaneous situation; got a Spartan with the silvertech scales, but not a fan of the Spartan (no scissors), and had an old Super Tinker user with black scales I didn't particularly care for, so did a swap. :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:01:19 AM by ColoSwiss »

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 09:20:09 PM
just do it

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30