Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Woodsmans Owners Club

magentus · 535 · 30966

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Woodsmans Owners Club
Reply #120 on: November 01, 2016, 10:34:58 PM
Now I'm wondering if my Huntsman is actually an old pre-Mag Woodsman(?).  My Dad got it for me in the fall of '83, with the grooved corkscrew and the pre-eye awl.  There are no other tools on the backside except the awl and the corkscrew.  I hate to admit it, but I was so excited to have a SAK that I didn't even pay attention to what the box said!
DSCN0032.JPG
* DSCN0032.JPG (Filesize: 279.92 KB)
Barry

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #121 on: November 01, 2016, 10:53:40 PM
Woodsman's brother - Modeler.

Oh, I like that! Pity it's also a discontinued model :-(

Might have to try to get one of these made up for me one day...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: November 02, 2016, 03:48:07 AM
Now I'm wondering if my Huntsman is actually an old pre-Mag Woodsman(?).  My Dad got it for me in the fall of '83, with the grooved corkscrew and the pre-eye awl.  There are no other tools on the backside except the awl and the corkscrew.  I hate to admit it, but I was so excited to have a SAK that I didn't even pay attention to what the box said!

The smooth corkscrew, sewing eye, hook and keyring move were all in 1991, well after the five-layer Woodsman with magnifier had been made. My comment was intended to mean these things in general benchmark whether a particular knife was made before or after 1991, but not as a break point between the four and five layer Woodsman.

I just looked at some pages of a 1982 catalog, and the 84-85 extended catalog on SAKWiki. The 84/85 only has a Huntsman, no Woodsman in four or five layers. The interesting thing in the 82 catalog was having both a four layer Woodsman and a Huntsman. The only difference between them was T&T. The Woodsman didn't have them and the Huntsman did. All the other catalogs in the 1980's only show a Huntsman. They don't show any four or five layer Woodsman, which is only further puzzling.

This five-layer was made just prior to 1980 about 1978-1979 as that's when I bought it in Europe.
  • Only two tools on the back layer: fluted corkscrew and eyeless awl.
  • Large blade is the thicker 2.4mm tang/spine
  • The "V" in "Victorinox" the same size as the other letters
  • Keyring is on the blade layer spacer.
  • Has a screw in the scissors and there's no groove in the scissors handle for the end of the spring to follow the handle. It just rides on the flat. Every time I've replaced the spring I've had to tweak it to follow the handle properly from fully open to fully closed. Fortunately it hasn't broken in at least fifteen years (IMO a tribute to improved springs).
  • Cap lifter does not have a 90 degree stop; it should be used as a screw driver fully open.
It did not come with a mini-driver. I added it just this year. It's obvious the hex shaped driver was not made to fit this corkscrew. Finally found an old round one that fits better, but even it wasn't designed for this corkscrew.

If yours doesn't have T&T and has other design aspects from the early 1980's it could have been marketed and sold as a Woodsman. If it has T&T it's a Huntsman. It's apparent that during a very short time in the early 1980's a non-T&T Huntsman was sold in some markets as a Woodsman. This does not mean that any four layer "Huntsman" configuration without T&T is a Woodsman. It would have to have all the tool and tang characteristics of an early 1980's Victorinox SAK, circa 1982. IOW, it if has a sewing eye in the awl, it's nearly a decade too new.

At the same time, I don't find a five-layer Woodsman in any of the SAKWiki catalogs from 1976 through 1990. After that, all the awls have sewing eyes. It makes my five-layer an enigma. Either the five layer came and went and then returned, or it wasn't marketed in all regions (i.e. not in North America). Mine is certainly not older than 1977 or 1978, not from when I bought it, but from the 1976 catalog and some features the knives in it have.

This has had me going back through the on-line vintage catalogs in some great detail! It's been a very poignant reminder that Victorinox has not been consistent in knife name usage, nor have they been consistent in name usage for the exact same model of knife in different marketing and distributor regions. Further confounding matters is Victorinox at least occasionally marketing some of their knives in limited regions, not globally.

John
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:01:35 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #123 on: November 02, 2016, 10:59:18 AM
Thanks John!  It has T/T so it's a Huntsman.  Fascinating how the lines run so closely together for awhile.
Now I'm wondering if my Huntsman is actually an old pre-Mag Woodsman(?).  My Dad got it for me in the fall of '83, with the grooved corkscrew and the pre-eye awl.  There are no other tools on the backside except the awl and the corkscrew.  I hate to admit it, but I was so excited to have a SAK that I didn't even pay attention to what the box said

Barry

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #124 on: November 08, 2016, 12:32:33 PM
I'm dreaming up a little something....Basically Compact Woodsman...I think Jaya built one called a Yeoman WS?..

Awl instead of hook on the scissors layer though.

Is there something like a Champion minus scaler? AKA Woodsman add metal file/Ranger add phillips&mag?  Is there a Marlboro one like that?

In any case... I 'need' a Woodsman now,  :assimilate: off to the web...
Hey was just browsing and didn't realize somebody mentioned me... Yes I modded a Yeoman WS... the good thing about it is I can put the awl beneath the wood saw...

I also modded me own woodsman from a swisschamp not long before the Yeoman WS mod ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #125 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:35 PM
 :like: :like:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #126 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:58 PM
Putting mine to work today...I really like this knife!!
1479411720646.jpg
* 1479411720646.jpg (Filesize: 304.45 KB)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:43:24 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #127 on: November 17, 2016, 08:47:12 PM
Another pic in the sun...these Mexican special editions are gorgeous knives!
1479411957971.jpg
* 1479411957971.jpg (Filesize: 137.58 KB)
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #128 on: November 17, 2016, 08:52:49 PM
Another pic.  If anyone wants some American Walnut for scales pm me.  I have a bit!!
1479412290781.jpg
* 1479412290781.jpg (Filesize: 295.98 KB)
Barry

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: November 18, 2016, 01:26:12 AM
Another pic.  If anyone wants some American Walnut for scales pm me.  I have a bit!!

:tu:

In addition to the old vintage Woodsman I've accumulated four of the Mexico, two with red scales and two with ruby (like yours). The red scales are beautiful, but you're right that the ruby are outright gorgeous. A note about the last two I got (Mexico): Found that a straight pin would not stay in the hole and discovered the scales weren't completely pressed on down to the outer liners by just a hair. It was just enough to lose the friction fit for the straight pin and you wouldn't notice it without examining the knife very closely using a flashlight looking for a gap. Used a small vise with heavily padded jaws (very dense closed cell foam) and pressed them completely.

John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #130 on: November 18, 2016, 02:07:04 PM
Same with this one John.  It was just a fraction of a millimeter but enough that you could detect it with a light.  I'll apply Operation Vice to it and we'll be in good shape.   :cheers:
Barry

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: November 18, 2016, 06:37:05 PM
Same with this one John.  It was just a fraction of a millimeter but enough that you could detect it with a light.  I'll apply Operation Vice to it and we'll be in good shape.   :cheers:

Have you done this before? If not, then look at some videos (YouTube has numerous) and ensure the corkscrew is open and the T&T are out. I use very dense closed cell foam pads that are soft enough on the surface not to mar the scales. Slow application of pressure and letting it set for a while does the job . . . using a flashlight from under it to see if it has closed up. I was fooled a couple of times seeing the gap between a spring and the outer liner on the inside of it until I learned to look more carefully.

If the scales are flush to the liners the pin will have sufficient friction fit to prevent it from falling out and the friction fit of the pin is quite sensitive to that.

John
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:38:07 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #132 on: November 18, 2016, 07:25:10 PM
I haven't John, but I'll jump on Youtube.  I have to make a trip to the hardware store and get some foam pads.  Thanks for the heads up sir!
Barry

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:34 PM
I haven't John, but I'll jump on Youtube.  I have to make a trip to the hardware store and get some foam pads.  Thanks for the heads up sir!

See how I used the vise on Day 21 in the "Discontinued challenge" thread - using the vise part near the end and note that it's a small vise. Also see how I did it during the Minimalist Challenge here, putting some scales onto a Waiter I'd modified into an Apprentice:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68346.msg1361428.html#msg1361428

John

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #134 on: December 18, 2016, 09:49:16 PM
Been carrying the Greenwood for the last couple of days. Here it is doing what a Woodsman does best; sawing and awling:
WP_20161218_004 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #135 on: December 18, 2016, 10:10:14 PM
 :like:  :like:
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #136 on: December 19, 2016, 03:11:11 AM
I'd like to eventually buy a more modern Woodsman, but until then I have this approximately 1961 (thereabouts) version:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:15:10 AM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #137 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:20 AM
I'd like to eventually buy a more modern Woodsman, but until then I have this approximately 1961 (thereabouts) version:

That's gorgeous - I love the old style bail with cellidor scales and wish Vic had continued them.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Reply #138 on: December 19, 2016, 02:26:53 PM

That's gorgeous - I love the old style bail with cellidor scales and wish Vic had continued them.
Thank you magentus, I treasure this old gal.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #139 on: December 19, 2016, 06:29:07 PM
That's a real beauty FB. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #140 on: December 19, 2016, 09:31:33 PM
That's a real beauty FB. :drool:
Thank you.  :tu:  It's essentially the centerpiece of my small, yet growing, collection.

Woodsmans Owners Club
Reply #141 on: December 31, 2016, 03:11:43 PM
I currently have 3 variations of the Woodsman.  I don't know how many more there are.  :think: Most likely a lot!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #142 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:56 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Barry

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #143 on: December 31, 2016, 09:27:17 PM

[img]https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/337/30923772253_337b08fa1c_z.jpg[/imago]w
Really great find!

Reply #144 on: December 31, 2016, 11:17:44 PM

Really great find!
Thank you!  It is the centerpiece of my collection at this time.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #145 on: December 31, 2016, 11:26:43 PM
This is a great thread and I love a saw on anything I carry so one of these would and should be on my list of SAKs to get :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #146 on: January 01, 2017, 12:18:54 AM
They are great knives Poncho.  I only wish Vic would bring them back to the US!
Barry

us Offline Forklift

Reply #147 on: January 15, 2017, 04:42:18 AM
I know the spirit of this thread is the 5 layer Woodsman, but I just came across this thread the same day I found a 4 layer Woodsman at an antique mall I check every few months.  I thought that I was buying an early-mid 1980's Huntsman (no hole in reamer) that was in great condition for $12.00 but when I got home I realized there was no toothpick or tweezers.
IMG_20170114_212236.jpg
* IMG_20170114_212236.jpg (Filesize: 339.47 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #148 on: January 15, 2017, 05:38:56 AM
 :like: :like: All Woodsman are selcome and great find!!
Barry

at Offline Daark

Reply #149 on: January 16, 2017, 12:13:25 PM
My "Woodsmen"
latest Factory edition and a Woodsman before it became the Huntsman.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:14:40 PM by Daark »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD