Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Woodsmans Owners Club

magentus · 535 · 30805

mx Offline ebarberena

Re: Woodsmans Owners Club
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 03:19:26 PM
OK guys, I have two brand new Explores with woodsaw for sale. They are being sold in Mexico as Fathers' day specials, complete with pouch.  I can post actual photos on friday. Until then this promo picture is going to have to do. https://www.facebook.com/VictorinoxMx/photos/a.10150116831410921.315966.169740300920/10153502114700921/?type=1

US$55.00 plus shipping each. I'll be in NYC next week so I can post them then from there. I guess shipping would be arround $6.00 but I'm not sure.

Who's interested?

For those without a FC acount, here is a stock picture:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 96.76 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 03:39:28 PM
Looks like the Woodsman is still in great demand.

Here's mine with its new scales:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline oscar

Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 02:31:55 AM

Ihave a limited 50 pieces orange woodman.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 06:10:38 AM

Ihave a limited 50 pieces orange woodman.

:worthless:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 12:38:06 AM
Thanks to ebarberena I've added another Woodsman to my collection - a 2015 version made for Victorinox México S.A. de C.V.:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:39:59 AM by jazzbass »

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 01:01:27 PM
Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 01:05:13 PM
Thanks for showing that jazzbass. Is there a reason Vic did a special Mexican run? Also, is there anything to denote this on the SAK?
 :salute:

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 11:18:59 PM
The only thing that denotes this a a spacial run is the model number in the cardboard box: 1.6713P15.

This SAK was made to celebrate Father's Day in Mexico. They did a special BO main blade Hunstsman last year. I don't know if they did something special before that. I'll find out.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 16.47 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 11:20:10 PM
The only thing that denotes this a a spacial run is the model number in the cardboard box: 1.6713P15.

This SAK was made to celebrate Father's Day in Mexico. They did a special BO main blade Hunstsman last year. I don't know if they did something special before that. I'll find out.

Thanks ebarberena  :salute:

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:46 PM
I am ordering more Woodsman tomorrow. Does anyone want one? I might be able to ship form the US some time in July.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 29, 2015, 06:07:15 PM
Got home from work to find the postie had left me a parcel  :D
 :mail:

Massive thanks to ebarbarena, I'm now a very proud owner of a new Woodsman.
I'm developing a kind of fetish for these Mag layers  :facepalm:

I really like the new style pouch and I'm so tempted to swap the standard scales for Green Plus scales - I think it would compliment the woodmans theme.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 272.03 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 245.59 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 258.58 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 264.61 KB)
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 05:08:38 PM
Vssr with fine driver on the back.

Are these quite desirable/hard to get?

I would guess so from the number of modded ones that have been made?
IMG_20150901_170509.jpg
* IMG_20150901_170509.jpg (Filesize: 62.57 KB)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:12:32 PM by VoetSak »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Late to the Party with Two: Vintage and New
Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 09:47:04 PM
My first posting to this forum . . . and know I'm late to the party with this but thought you might find the comparison between an old and new one interesting.

The left one in the photo is about 35-37 years old and the right one is the 2014 Mexico market 130th Anniversary. There are obviously differences between them, with the 2014 130th Anniv. having a few more tools than the one made circa 1977-1980. I'm trying very hard to remember when I bought it. I was a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Army at the time and an even older SAK had been stolen, so I replaced it with the older Woodsman, and wore it on battle rattle for 20 years.

Differences, mostly related to the eras in which they were made:
  • Keyring Placement: On the old one it's part of the spacer between the small spear point blade and the liner separating them from the wood saw. On the new one it's part of the bottle opener and large flat-tip driver spring.
  • Straight Pin Hole: As would be expected, the new one has a hole in the scales for the SS straight pin under the corkscrew (without the pin), and the old one does not.
  • Magnifier: Old one has gray frame around the magnifier lens (nylon ??), and the new one is clear, presumably a one-piece now.
  • Awl: New one has hole for using the awl for sewing canvas or perhaps leather with heavy cord or twine; old one doesn't have this.
  • Carry Hook: New one has the carrying hook on the backside; old one does not.
  • Small flat-tip driver: New one has small flat-tip driver on the backside; old one does not

I believe those are all the differences between them. Had a Zermatt pouch with the old one, but the belt loop finally ripped out of the stitching after 25 years of hard use. I've got another Zermatt for it now. The nylon fabric hard-side pouch that came with new one is quite nice, and has a sharpening steel loop along an outside edge, which, like the straight pin hole, the steel wasn't included (but I have one now in it). The new one is as impressive as the old one was when I first bought it.

John
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:51:25 PM by jalind »
John

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 12:38:07 AM
Nice one John - Love these comparison pictures - And the old, well used, and appreciated SAKs !!  :tu:
Thanks for posting
And welcome to the forum - Please stick around - Sounds like you'll fit in well  :D

I have another couple of differences for you!!
  • One potential difference - Can't quite tell from the photee  ??? - But on the older one do you have the 'fluted' corscrew? - ie with the small groove going all round the corkscrew - Quite likely with the eyeless awl!
  • This one is really subtle - The blade thinkness changed in 2005 I believe from 2.4mm to 2mm - So I think that difference will be there.
  • Also the tang stamps will be different on the main blade.
  • Oh just thought of another one - The Phillips on the new one will be shorter to accommodate the new mag glass !!
Then regarding the mag glass
- If you bought the new one in the last couple of years - Which I assume you did - Is this one from Mexico too?
It will be the V3 mag glass with a glass lens not the old plastic one piece
- It's hard to tell the difference - But you could try pinching the lens hard and try and rotate it in the frame, if it moves you have the glass one !

Hope that helps - rather than coming across as anal and picky!!  :o Tool varaiations is my SAK hobby!!    :tu:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 02:04:36 AM
Nice one John - Love these comparison pictures - And the old, well used, and appreciated SAKs !!  :tu:
Thanks for posting
And welcome to the forum - Please stick around - Sounds like you'll fit in well  :D

• One potential difference - Can't quite tell from the photee  ??? - But on the older one do you have the 'fluted' corscrew? - ie with the small groove going all round the corkscrew - Quite likely with the eyeless awl!
  • This one is really subtle - The blade thinkness changed in 2005 I believe from 2.4mm to 2mm - So I think that difference will be there.
  • Oh just thought of another one - The Phillips on the new one will be shorter to accommodate the new mag glass !!
- If you bought the new one in the last couple of years - Which I assume you did - Is this one from Mexico too?
- It's hard to tell the difference - But you could try pinching the lens hard and try and rotate it in the frame, if it moves you have the glass one !

Hope that helps - rather than coming across as anal and picky!!  :o Tool varaiations is my SAK hobby!!    :tu:

Thanks for the warm welcome . . .
Some answers
  • Yes, the new one is the 2014 Mexico 130th Anniversary although I didn't realize it at the time I fished it out of deBay.
  • The old one does, indeed have the fluted corkscrew and you can just barely make it out in the photo.
  • The Phillips in the new one is shorter, by about a quarter inch, and the magnifier on the new one is longer because the lens is bigger diameter.
  • Magnifier is, indeed, v3 two-piece as I accidentally popped the lens out cleaning it vigorously after examining it closely using a 5x loupe; fortunately it popped back in with some gentle pressure with no damage to lens or magnifier frame. (Personal note: Clean carefully in future!)
  • Main Blades: New one is thinner comparing the backs. Not only that, but the tang is the same thickness as the blade back on the new one. Old one not only has thicker blade back, its tang is even thicker yet. The markings on the tangs are different as you mentioned. Biggest difference is the old one has the "rostfrei" umbrella logo, and just says "Switzerland" while the new one doesn't have the umbrella and says "Swiss Made" - remaining markings are similar

The old Woodsman was the smallest of three "go-to" knives I carried on the battle rattle. The other two were iconic in their own rights: a Buck 110 lockback and a M7, both of which I have, and still use, albeit the M7 doesn't see as much use now as it did. As a footnote, I'm a little surprised that the Camillus MIL-K-818 is apparently so collectible. IMHO it was pretty much a throw-away and they were never "general issue" to the soldiers, who had plenty of P-38's to get the C-rats open. You could get them through the supply system with an astute company supply sergeant, and you could buy one of your own at the clothing sales store if you wanted one. I suppose they got the job done for those few that had them (and took care of them), but they were quite crude by comparison to a 1961 SAK Soldier, which had all the same blades, or the "old" 108mm slipjoint GAK from that era which was another decent knife. One of the reasons I had the Woodsman. I fixed more "stuff" in the field with the Woodsman's tools than I could ever begin to remember. I wasn't that sad to see the Camillus MIL-K-818 retired completely.

Thanks for pointing out the other details . . . which I probably would not have noticed for some time.

John
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:16:05 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:40 AM
Homebuilt Woodsman Club  :D Mine have hooks, but no fine drivers.
woodsman02.jpg
* woodsman02.jpg (Filesize: 112.94 KB)

us Offline DaveBr

• Carpe SAKem
Reply #46 on: February 10, 2016, 03:31:33 AM
Thanks for posting

One more difference:

The scissors were held together with a screw on the older SAK, a rivet on the newer one.
DaveBr

I like big SAKs and I cannot lie...

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 05:18:01 AM

One more difference:

The scissors were held together with a screw on the older SAK, a rivet on the newer one.

Wow . . . right you are. Just looked and that's one I'd probably never have noticed unless for some wacky reason the scissors blades loosened on it.

John

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 11:59:11 AM
Great posts John  :salute: The Woodsman continues to be a popular model so I'm wondering why it's been discontinued. I haven't been openly EDC'ing mine since xmas as my wife and daughter bought me a Huntsman. I really miss the mag glass and philips so I've secretly been pocket carrying the Greenwood so I don't appear ungrateful. It's still my favourite SAK :facepalm:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:02 PM
I'm lucky enough to have 3 , and still always looking for more, if I could only have 1 SAK hands down  this would be it. It's the perfect combination to me and wish it would be in production again. Once I awhile you find them on Ebay.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:54 PM
I'll post pics after work  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #51 on: February 17, 2016, 02:10:25 PM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: February 17, 2016, 02:42:56 PM
Oooops, here's a club I missed. :-[  Long time fan and owner though.

Like Mags I had to make my own but it's well worth it.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 02:47:52 PM
Oooops, here's a club I missed. :-[  Long time fan and owner though.

(Image removed from quote.)

Like Mags I had to make my own but it's well worth it.

Great scales too Gareth!

I'm going to mod mine to swap the small blade with an inline awl supplied by Hiraethus. Once my wife is back on her feet and I have some time again.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:46 PM
I'm lucky enough to have 3 , and still always looking for more, if I could only have 1 SAK hands down  this would be it. It's the perfect combination to me and wish it would be in production again. Once I awhile you find them on Ebay.

I feel the same way. Has the perfect set of tools I use most. Closest I've seen currently being made is the Evolution 23, and wish they had an S23 variant with a locking blade. I like the idea of a metal frame on the magnifier. However, its length consumes the entire layer. Move its small driver tip to the fingernail file, shorten the magnifier and make its lens bigger, and put a Phillips in opposite it. Then it would be just about perfect . . . an Evo version of the older Woodsman that didn't have the hook, straight pin or small driver on the bottom.

John

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 05:09:57 PM
The Marly Outdoorsman is the same knife with the addition of the multipurpose fishscaler. :D
Marly Outdoorsman2.jpg
* Marly Outdoorsman2.jpg (Filesize: 101.9 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 02:50:37 PM

Thanks for this info!!!! I just received one in the mail and was asking about it over in the "latest SAK thread"

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21658.msg1228862.html#msg1228862
BOed Main.JPG
* BOed Main.JPG (Filesize: 60.63 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: February 18, 2016, 06:55:36 PM
Great posts John  :salute: The Woodsman continues to be a popular model so I'm wondering why it's been discontinued. I haven't been openly EDC'ing mine since xmas as my wife and daughter bought me a Huntsman. I really miss the mag glass and philips so I've secretly been pocket carrying the Greenwood so I don't appear ungrateful. It's still my favourite SAK :facepalm:

Don't forget that the Huntsman Lite is still around and has a nigh identical tool selection.  I'd guess that the feel these two SAKs are too similar to have them both out at the same time. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 07:25:22 PM
Don't forget the Mountaineer Lite for the file fans.  :D
Mountaineer Lite.jpg
* Mountaineer Lite.jpg (Filesize: 117 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:56 PM
I put together three more. I put new Plus scales on one because I wanted to use an old pen as a needle case. The pen no longer wrote so I thought it was empty...turns out there was still enough ink inside to make a big mess when I cut the nib off  ::)
woodsman03.jpg
* woodsman03.jpg (Filesize: 96.79 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24