Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Woodsmans Owners Club

magentus · 535 · 30796

us Offline batosai117

Re: Woodsmans Owners Club
Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 11:53:55 PM

I put together three more. I put new Plus scales on one because I wanted to use an old pen as a needle case. The pen no longer wrote so I thought it was empty...turns out there was still enough ink inside to make a big mess when I cut the nib off  ::)

That looks awesome. And it has my favorite scale color, Ruby

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 18, 2016, 05:37:50 AM
An old topic - but this BNIB Woodsman just arrived with beautiful ruby scales (photo also shows BNIB Explorer Plus that just arrived). Has 3rd version of magnifier with full tool set on the back layer.

A traditional red Woodsman I acquired earlier this year. It's a very functional journeyman color compared to the ruby. Other than scales color, it's identical in tools and proof marks.

My oldest Woodsman that I bought new in Germany circa 1978-1980. Been very difficult to date from available tool data. It has the gray first version magnifier with long Phillips opposite, fluted corkscrew, scissors screw and no groove for scissors spring, "V" on the blade tang same size as the rest of "Victorinox" and back of blade is thicker, key ring in the spacer for small pen blade (versus part of the opener spring), corkscrew and awl without sewing eye on back layer, but no hook or fine screwdriver. Scales are original and do not have the straight pin hole. Getting a micro-driver to fit into the fluted corkscrew was not easy (that tool didn't exist when I bought it). Obviously was not made for one. Pulling the differences between this old one and the ones above from memory. There may be more. I've replaced the scissors spring several times over the first decade or so of ownership, but not that I recall for at least the last two decades. They used to break at the hole where they were press fitted into the scissors handle. Not just this Woodsman but on several 58mm Classic as well. Always used the same method to drift the tiny part of the old spring out and press fit the new one in. I'm concluding Victorinox improved the spring metallurgy to make it more durable, perhaps the shape slightly as well (always had the "folded" U-shape springs). I still keep a few large and small springs.

John
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:41:05 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 18, 2016, 07:47:00 PM
Aaahhh, the mighty Woodsman.  Indeed a very useful model, old or new, and I too don't understand why it is not made anymore.  Of course the modern Huntsman is a old Woodsman with a new name and the old Huntsman is no more.  But the modern Woodsman with the mag and IP is nice.

My collection today:
1.  Top left-my newest....84mm from the later 40's I believe.  Not a drawer queen, this one has been used for right around 70 years and is still going.  No T&T or bail.
2.  Top right-91mm version from the late 40's....again, a user for ~ 70 years but going strong....this one does have a bail and T&T.....tweezers have a nickle-silver head.  Liners on both of the 40's models seem to be nickle-silver also and they are heavy for their size.
3.  Bottom left-84mm from the 60's, very austere, no bail, no T&T, just function.
4.  Bottom right-84mm from the 60's, this one has a bail, but no T&T.
5.  Bottom middle-modern 91mm with magnifier.  Has the sewing eye, but no hook or fine screwdriver.  Does have the rivet in the scissors.  A very handy SAK.

Hopefully they will make these again...... :cheers:

max
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 383.22 KB)

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #63 on: October 18, 2016, 07:54:39 PM
Nice collection Boo-Nizzle  :salute:

Here's mine I modded - The Greenwood:
WP_20160811_008 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 18, 2016, 08:01:46 PM

Arghhhh, not fair.  There are those that have an inline awl on their non-Alox SAKs and those that don't.....guess which group I belong to..........😞

Very nice.......   :cheers:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #65 on: October 18, 2016, 08:50:29 PM

Arghhhh, not fair.  There are those that have an inline awl on their non-Alox SAKs and those that don't.....guess which group I belong to..........😞

Ta- I Luuuurve it. As mods go it's pretty easy - only one pin to remove and the awl slips in nicely. The original Greenwood mod was my first so I was a bit loath to do it again but it worked out smashingly.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #66 on: October 18, 2016, 09:01:16 PM
This is a great thread guys!  I've had the urge to pick up an Explorer but honestly like this layout even better.
Barry

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #67 on: October 18, 2016, 09:36:08 PM
This is a great thread guys!  I've had the urge to pick up an Explorer but honestly like this layout even better.
Gonna get one Barry?  :cheers:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 09:47:07 PM

Ta- I Luuuurve it. As mods go it's pretty easy - only one pin to remove and the awl slips in nicely. The original Greenwood mod was my first so I was a bit loath to do it again but it worked out smashingly.

Well that settles it, my 1st mod will be adding an inline awl to "something".....it's your fault.  😜

Barry.....woodsaw or metal saw (Modeler) doesn't add hardly any thickness to the Explorer, even though it adds a layer.

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #69 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:59 PM
NIce one Boo-Nizzle! Can't wait to see pics  :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: October 18, 2016, 11:08:44 PM

Well that settles it, my 1st mod will be adding an inline awl to "something".....it's your fault.  😜

Barry.....woodsaw or metal saw (Modeler) doesn't add hardly any thickness to the Explorer, even though it adds a layer.

That awl mod is very, very tempting! Looks great!!

Had been thinking about a Modeler myself; would be a nice Explorer enhancement to put the metal saw and awl in it. Would have to find the organ donors for it.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #71 on: October 18, 2016, 11:18:25 PM
I am, whether it's modding an Explorer or hopefully finding one.  I jumped on the Bay and there was only one up for sale.  I really like that layout...reminds me of everything that would make the Huntsman perfect!  I was on the path to picking up an Explorer yesterday when I found this thread and really took a liking to them! 
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 05:30:04 AM
Well I just joined the club!  Waiting for mine to arrive....I can hardly wait!! :ahhh :ahhh :mail:
Barry

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 20, 2016, 05:41:53 AM
Well I just joined the club!  Waiting for mine to arrive....I can hardly wait!! :ahhh :ahhh :mail:
:climber:
^^^^^^^^^^
He hasn't opened all the Woodsman tools yet; just some of them!

Congrats Barry  :2tu:

John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #74 on: October 20, 2016, 05:52:42 AM
 :cheers: Thanks John!  :cheers:
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #75 on: October 20, 2016, 06:28:57 AM

Congrats!!!   :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: October 20, 2016, 07:55:35 AM

Well that is cool......congratulation!!   :tu:  Isn't it weird how slow the clock goes after you buy a SAK you really want???   :ahhh

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #77 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:04 AM
Congrats Baz - post plenty of pics so we can awl have a drool!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #78 on: October 20, 2016, 03:07:00 PM
 :cheers: Thanks everybody!  You're right about the clock Boonies...I swear it goes backwards postal wise!!
Barry

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #79 on: October 20, 2016, 03:10:36 PM
Medical Bill is in! He has a custom Woodsman like mine (with in-line awl instead of small blade).
WP_20161020_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: October 20, 2016, 08:05:03 PM
Medical Bill is in! He has a custom Woodsman like mine (with in-line awl instead of small blade).
WP_20161020_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr

Dang!!!  I just looked at mine, it's been customized too!!!  Somebody must have done a bunch of those........ :whistle:   😜

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #81 on: October 20, 2016, 08:18:39 PM
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Re: Late to the Party with Two: Vintage and New
Reply #82 on: October 20, 2016, 08:22:24 PM
  • Magnifier: Old one has gray frame around the magnifier lens (nylon ??), and the new one is clear, presumably a one-piece now.

No, I think the new one is a glass lens (which can actually be pushed out from one side if you push hard enough, with a plastic holder
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 20, 2016, 08:51:19 PM
  • Magnifier: Old one has gray frame around the magnifier lens (nylon ??), and the new one is clear, presumably a one-piece now.

No, I think the new one is a glass lens (which can actually be pushed out from one side if you push hard enough, with a plastic holder

That is correct. There are three versions of the magnifier (from the Sakwiki):
v1 had the gray frame with 8x glass lens circa 1973
v2 has clear frame with 5x plastic lens circa 2004, but existing v1 stock was being used as late as 2006
v3 has clear frame with 6x glass lens circa 2012, and I can attest that it can be popped out

John
(who accidentally popped a v3 out when cleaning off a fingerprint smudge)

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #84 on: October 20, 2016, 08:53:51 PM

v2 has clear frame with 5x plastic lens circa 2004, but existing v1 stock was being used as late as 2006
v3 has clear frame with 6x glass lens circa 2012, and I can attest that it can be popped out

John

Were you able to pop it back in?

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:57 PM
I'm dreaming up a little something....Basically Compact Woodsman...I think Jaya built one called a Yeoman WS?..

Awl instead of hook on the scissors layer though.

Is there something like a Champion minus scaler? AKA Woodsman add metal file/Ranger add phillips&mag?  Is there a Marlboro one like that?

In any case... I 'need' a Woodsman now,  :assimilate: off to the web...

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:26 PM

John

Were you able to pop it back in?

Yes . . . no problem . . . did it gently so as not to stress the portion that extends down to the rivet . . . it's how they're assembled at the factory. Was worried I might have cracked the frame but fortunately had not.

I don't recommend popping the lenses out deliberately as it would eventually wear the frame down and it would pop out too easily. I read (don't recall where) that guys were doing this with the v3 to use them hand held and then popping them back in.

John

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 20, 2016, 09:04:10 PM

My 2007 (on the package) SwissChamp has the gray mag, could have been made in 2006 tho, and packaged in 2007.

My Explorer has the pop-out lens. Not sure of the year on it.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:46 PM
Great thread :cheers: Love all the pics in here :tu:

Mags do you happen to have a fanned pic of the Greenwood :think: I think that it is almost as close to a perect SAK as I would find :dd: I might add one more tool and perhaps take away the opener layer unless I could add a pruner or electrician blade in place of the can opener :tu:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: October 21, 2016, 12:06:59 AM
I'm dreaming up a little something....Basically Compact Woodsman...I think Jaya built one called a Yeoman WS?..

Awl instead of hook on the scissors layer though.

Is there something like a Champion minus scaler? AKA Woodsman add metal file/Ranger add phillips&mag?  Is there a Marlboro one like that?

In any case... I 'need' a Woodsman now,  :assimilate: off to the web...

Exchange the wood saw blade for a file with hacksaw edge and you have a Modeler, also long discontinued and considered rather rare, but not impossible to find. Takes patience. I also wish there was a six layer - the Woodsman plus the Modeler file (or Modeler plus the Woodsman wood saw).

John
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:10:04 AM by jalind »
John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24