Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Woodsmans Owners Club

magentus · 535 · 31009

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Woodsmans Owners Club
Reply #90 on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:47 AM
Is there something like a Champion minus scaler? AKA Woodsman add metal file/Ranger add phillips&mag?  Is there a Marlboro one like that?
Exchange the wood saw blade for a file with hacksaw edge and you have a Modeler, also long discontinued and considered rather rare, but not impossible to find. Takes patience. I also wish there was a six layer - the Woodsman plus the Modeler file (or Modeler plus the Woodsman wood saw).

Aha - You guys had this thought too  :tu:  This configuration would be my dream/optimal large SAK and I was planning to make one someday.

I am really surprised that this was never a standard model - As it seems to "have everything you need and nothing you don't need"
- To quote some recent Gerber advertising!!  ;)

And no I am pretty sure there is not a Marlborough model like this.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #91 on: October 21, 2016, 10:00:18 AM
Great thread :cheers: Love all the pics in here :tu:

Mags do you happen to have a fanned pic of the Greenwood :think: I think that it is almost as close to a perect SAK as I would find :dd: I might add one more tool and perhaps take away the opener layer unless I could add a pruner or electrician blade in place of the can opener :tu:
So MTo ponch! Perfect but I would add this and remove this - I love it! I thought mine was perfect, then I did the in-line awl, now I'm thinking, 'but it's got 2 awls! Who needs 2 awls (apart from firiki)? It's a never ending quest!

I'm beginning to think an XLT with scaler removed would be my ideal SAK. But then again I don't like some of the back tools - chisel for example.  :facepalm:

Here's the pic as required:
WP_20161021_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:02:17 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #92 on: October 21, 2016, 11:18:01 AM
Great thread :cheers: Love all the pics in here :tu:

Mags do you happen to have a fanned pic of the Greenwood :think: I think that it is almost as close to a perect SAK as I would find :dd: I might add one more tool and perhaps take away the opener layer unless I could add a pruner or electrician blade in place of the can opener :tu:
So MTo ponch! Perfect but I would add this and remove this - I love it! I thought mine was perfect, then I did the in-line awl, now I'm thinking, 'but it's got 2 awls! Who needs 2 awls (apart from firiki)? It's a never ending quest!

I'm beginning to think an XLT with scaler removed would be my ideal SAK. But then again I don't like some of the back tools - chisel for example.  :facepalm:

Here's the pic as required:
WP_20161021_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr

*Cough, cough* Pikachu *cough*

Hey, the two awls can be complementary to eachother and also serve different purposes. One has a threading hole too, remember?  ;)

What's wrong with the chisel?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #93 on: October 21, 2016, 11:25:24 AM
Nothing inherently wrong with it - It's just something I have never used and don't see the point of - bit of an afterthought on Vics part - what can we put there?

I've read elsewhere that some have found a use for it though.

I don't really mind too much about the two awls - and you're right about the slightly different uses.  :tu:

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #94 on: October 21, 2016, 11:39:04 AM
I think of the chisel as a 'why not' addition: it can come in handy sometimes and it doesn't take up much space. Although, I do think the tools on the back cause the respective tools on the front to have a lesser snap :think:

I've used the chisel on my beater Ranger to sharpen a pencil and also to scrape off some gooey substance off a chair. Don't use it as an fine screwdriver though :dwts:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:40:12 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #95 on: October 21, 2016, 12:10:37 PM
Yes, I think I'd rather them not bother than half arse it - the extra snap would outway the advantage of a half arsed too IMO.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: October 21, 2016, 02:25:20 PM
I'd much prefer an inline chisel.  We've seen the backside chisel modded onto a 58mm frame, as well as the backside awl and even backside phillips. The chisel especially is a tool that seems awkward as a back tool. But I dont mind it being there. Haven't used it but I do like to look at it once in a while.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #97 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:17 PM
The in line chisel on the Spirit is an excellent tool - I use it quite a lot. I guess as a back tool there isn't enough clearance to make it truly practical, whereas Vic are usually eminantly practical.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:18 PM
One of the reasons I often use my Craftsman is the long thin screwdriver on the back.
Whenever you're trying to wire a light or a light switch - or do anything to do with household electricity - you need a much finer tool than that ridiculous thing on the can opener. For some reason only the fattest Saks have the narrow screwdriver, a truly indispensible tool (and one I value more than the inline Phillips.)
I'd agree with you about the tiny chisel, however. The times you need one of those are few and far between when you have the rest of the SAK at your disposal.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #99 on: October 22, 2016, 02:41:07 AM
I like it Mags!!   :tu: :tu:
Barry

Offline gw8433

Reply #100 on: October 22, 2016, 06:33:21 AM
I have these two items~~
IMG_3193.JPG
* IMG_3193.JPG (Filesize: 118.19 KB)

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: October 22, 2016, 08:05:01 AM
I have these two items~~

Woodsman in the foreground and Modeler in the back.....very nice..... :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #102 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:04 PM
It came today and I love it!!
DSCN0015.JPG
* DSCN0015.JPG (Filesize: 276.77 KB)
Barry

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: October 24, 2016, 09:57:22 PM
It came today and I love it!!
:like:

Thought you would . . . the icing on the cake is the belt case it comes in. I wish we could buy those!
 :2tu:

John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #104 on: October 25, 2016, 07:11:31 PM
 :like: I agree sir!!
Barry

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:32 AM
 :mail:  A couple of older Woodsmen yesterday, both are before they added the magnifier and inline Philips.  The 1st is from the early 70's I believe and is brand new in the box.  Clip small blade and 5 loop, grooved corkscrew.  No T&T or keyring.  Number on box is 1. 37 10.  I could not find this is SAKWiki but the Huntsman is 1. 37 13.  Anybody have a reference that shows this number??  Knife also has an interesting blade etch.

2nd is post '85 and has the Ecoline shield I think.  Also a nice knife.  No T&T but this one has a key ring.

Added to the collection........😛
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 400.47 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 126.52 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 141.65 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 373.07 KB)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:09:29 AM by Boonies »

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: October 31, 2016, 02:37:08 AM
Awesome snags , Boonie Max  8) 8)

I got this one in the other day........  :2tu:
The Nature Store LE black scales w/ Rabbit inlay  8)
DSCN8265.JPG
* DSCN8265.JPG (Filesize: 191.94 KB)
DSCN8266.JPG
* DSCN8266.JPG (Filesize: 196.94 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: October 31, 2016, 03:08:27 AM

A Woodsman and black scales to boot....not too bad,,,,, :tu:    Watch out, they grow on you!!!!  😜

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: October 31, 2016, 10:43:05 AM
:mail:  A couple of older Woodsmen yesterday, both are before they added the magnifier and inline Philips.  The 1st is from the early 70's I believe and is brand new in the box.  Clip small blade and 5 loop, grooved corkscrew.  No T&T or keyring.  Number on box is 1. 37 10.  I could not find this is SAKWiki but the Huntsman is 1. 37 13.  Anybody have a reference that shows this number??  Knife also has an interesting blade etch.

2nd is post '85 and has the Ecoline shield I think.  Also a nice knife.  No T&T but this one has a key ring.

Nice very vintage find on the first one!

I'm wondering about dating the second one which has no fluting on the corkscrew and an eye in the awl. The eye was added in 1985, but the fluted corkscrew continued into the early 1990's. The imprint on the ecoline scales is consistent with the early 1990's as well and they're prior to the introduction of nylon in 1994. I'd date it as a 1991-1994 Huntsman as the pre-magnifier/Phillips layer "Woodsman" was before the 1985 sewing eye according to SAKWiki. Was bouncing between the SAKWiki and sakhome.com looking at the back layer tools and scales. The initial "tell" for me was the non-fluted corkscrew, followed by the sewing eye.

They both look to be in great condition for their age.

John

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #109 on: October 31, 2016, 10:56:21 AM

Nice one Cali! Love the rabbit inlay  :salute:

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: October 31, 2016, 10:59:25 AM
Thanks , Boonie & Mags  :cheers: :cheers:  8)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #111 on: October 31, 2016, 12:44:10 PM
 :like: :like: !!!
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #112 on: October 31, 2016, 02:49:31 PM
WOODSMEN HO!
WP_20161031_007 by magpie2112, on Flickr

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #113 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:59 AM
Is there something similar to the Woodsman (with Phillips driver and magnifier), but with the metal file/saw instead of the wood saw?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:00 AM
Is there something similar to the Woodsman (with Phillips driver and magnifier), but with the metal file/saw instead of the wood saw?

Absolutely! The Modeler (also long discontinued).
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Modeler

John

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #115 on: November 01, 2016, 01:49:51 AM

Absolutely! The Modeler (also long discontinued).
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Modeler

John

:tu:

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #116 on: November 01, 2016, 02:39:10 PM
Woodsman's brother - Modeler.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 241.52 KB)

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: November 01, 2016, 08:02:58 PM

I'm wondering about dating the second one which has no fluting on the corkscrew and an eye in the awl. The eye was added in 1985, but the fluted corkscrew continued into the early 1990's. The imprint on the ecoline scales is consistent with the early 1990's as well and they're prior to the introduction of nylon in 1994. I'd date it as a 1991-1994 Huntsman as the pre-magnifier/Phillips layer "Woodsman" was before the 1985 sewing eye according to SAKWiki. Was bouncing between the SAKWiki and sakhome.com looking at the back layer tools and scales. The initial "tell" for me was the non-fluted corkscrew, followed by the sewing eye.

John

You might be right on the 2nd one, it is a bit of a jumble.  I was going by the listing and because it had no T&T and normally the Huntsman would.  Maybe that has something to do with the Ecoline?  The '91-'94 might be a problem because there also is no hook.  Ecoline again?  I don't know enough about the Ecoline models.

In any event, it is going in with the Woodsman/Huntsman group and will eventually sort itself out.   :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: November 01, 2016, 08:24:39 PM

John

You might be right on the 2nd one, it is a bit of a jumble.  I was going by the listing and because it had no T&T and normally the Huntsman would.  Maybe that has something to do with the Ecoline?  The '91-'94 might be a problem because there also is no hook.  Ecoline again?  I don't know enough about the Ecoline models.

In any event, it is going in with the Woodsman/Huntsman group and will eventually sort itself out.   :cheers:

Supposedly the sewing eye in the awl, smooth corkscrew (no fluting), and hook on back layer under scissors were all implemented in 1991, along with moving the keyring from the blade layer to the opener layer. All four should be observed together unless the implementation was staggered to use existing parts stocks, including the scissors layer spring which would have to change add the hook. That wouldn't surprise me as I dealt with product manufacturing for two decades. It's called a "running change". The other thing I couldn't tell from your photo is the location of the keyring. It was also moved in 1991 from the spacer next to the small blade in the blade layer to the spring in the opener layer. No hook has me puzzled some.

BTW, the keyring move from blade spacer to opener spring can be used to categorize a knife that has both full layers as pre-1991 or post-1991. At least in all the older ones I have it's been a reliable benchmark.

John
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:26:27 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: November 01, 2016, 09:30:24 PM
Keyring is on the blade layer......another piece of the puzzle....... :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!