Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Center - Capreol

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Part 1

On Saturday, I took a nice trip to Capreol, which is located north East of Sudbury. In fact, Capreol is part of a bunch of smaller towns that were somewhat incorporated or amalgamated with the city of Sudbury. These outer regions are called Greater Sudbury even though they have all retained their historical place names. This makes the city of Sudbury a fairly big place due to the vastness of the region. Google map Capreol and you will see just how far it is from the city of Sudbury.

Capreol's claim to fame started as a bunk house built for the CN railway. This bunk house placed a dot on the historical map of the region, which caused folks to move here to work at and support those that do for the Canadian National Railway. Soon after, nickel and other minerals were found in the region causing more folks to migrate to the region.

I was going to Sudbury to check out a firearms store, and decided to Google attractions for the Sudbury area, and that is how I found this neat museum. This was my first visit to Capreol. It was also my first visit through a variety of other Greater Sudbury towns such as Val Therese, Hanmer, Val Caron, and Boninville...to name a few.

Before I post plenty of photos, I should tell you that I only brought my infra red camera. I have a Canon digital rebel DSLR that was converted to shoot only IR images. Thus all of these photos are records of a light spectrum that we cannot see with the naked eye.

Now onto the tour.

As we drove to the museum. I was taken aback at the distance from Sudbury it was...and it is still considered part of the Greater Sudbury. Sudbury sure dwarfs my home town of Sault Ste Marie for both population and area covered. Aside from that quick observation, I was a bit excited to finally get to the museum. Just on the other side of the parking lot, was a beautifully long working train with a lot of heavy equipment strapped to it. That got my expectations up I can tell you, my being a minor train buff. Here is a photo of one of the rolling stock. This train must have had over 60 cars like this one.

Here is a photo taken from the parking lot. This is a very beutiful historic building. I believe it once was the train yard boss's house. Quite nice inside. There is a small souvenir shop, along with most of the building being used as part of the musuem. More on that latter.

There is also a nice train themed children's park.

Now onto the grounds themselves. They had a mock up of a rail car building. They created this one to show what the first buildings in the area looked like. Back in the day, many a train car were converted as semi-permanent establishments for housing CN workers. Here is the outside.

It was rather surprisingly roomy inside. Our guide informed us that they would generally house 3 to 6 folks inside one of these. The mock up was for a more prominent family as it was only a single family dwelling. Here are some shots of the inside.

Now walking out of the rail car house and looking right.

A closer look at that car. This is the rail car that was once a sleeping car, but converted into a rolling classroom. At one time, this car was used to test CN workers. If they didn't achieve 90% or higher, they may be demoted or fired. It was also used as a rolling classroom. Many remote northern communities did not have a classroom, but most were located near a track. This way, the teacher could do his/her rounds.

Now looking to the left, a snow plow.

Here is a photo inside the snow plow car. I was told by our tour guide that working in one of these was hellish. It was always very cold and damp inside, and the noise when the plow was functioning was deafening inside.

Between the school car and the snow plow, was a nice caboose. This is inside looking up at the two seated stations.

Looking towards the back of the caboose. It was rather comfortable in here.

Sleeping accommodations inside the caboose.

Across of the caboose was a storage shed showing various modes of transportation for the work crews. All were used by CN.

Here you can see the work shed is located right next to the rail car house.

Now for a closer look at the shed's contents.

On the right side of the working shed are a few more projects waiting for restoration.

A look at that snow plow car.

This was written on a cable car, which was a passenger car that was converted by CN as a cable car. A cable car has a set of cables and pulleys used to help move derailed cars.

The museum even had a CN crane.

Here is a molten copper car in need of some restoration. Our tour guide told us how lucky they were in saving this piece of Sudbury history. It was slated to be scrapped but someone at the train yard moved it around for a couple of years until the right people could be found to save it for the museum.

This was written on the second caboose.

A plaque found on the side of one of the cars.

Looking to the left.

Here, several rail items used in the mining industry were on display in their separate side.

Falcon Bridge and Inco being the two biggest mining companies in Sudbury, it was no surprise to find their company logos on these older mining rail pieces.

The museum also had a 100 tone and 60 ton electric engine. This was on the larger electric engine.

Not exactly considered elegant, here is the ugly front end of that electric engine.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:19:31 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Part 2

The pride of the museum was this engine and tender.

Inside was a bit cramped...not to mention I do still have a very slight fear of heights. Going up the steep narrow steps was a little exciting. Getting into the cramped interior would have caused folks with claustrophobia to feel uneasy. I found out once I got home that the tour guide failed to tell us that everyone in here died in a tragic accident back in 45. I read online that this engine was second on a pull. The engineer realized that the first engine didn't slow down for a coming tight turn. He applied the emergency breaks, causing a derailment. Although everyone in the first engine was seriously hurt, nobody survived in the 6077. Maybe he didn't want to creep us out or something.

I was surprised at how complicated everything looked, and how minimal of space they had to operate in.

Once we looked at this train, it was time to head back to the main building. Along the way, they have a beautiful G scale train touring a nice garden with a pond full of koi. Along the way, they had a few old train signals to be seen.

And a time capsule. This was the plaque on the cemented capsule.

Today, they only had a Thomas the Train going around. I was told usually they have a longer CN train, but it was down for maintenance.

Once inside the main building, the museum continued. There were plenty of artifacts related to the rail, lumber, and mining industries found through the beautiful house.

Once done, we were told there was also a heritage part of the museum located one street over in the old fire/police hall. After a short but nice walk, we found the building and entered.

There was this nice firetruck.

Along with various fire gear from years past.

Downstairs was the jail. Here is the main front desk that the jailer would stand watch.

Umm, not exactly the Hilton.

Upstairs from the main floor were other exhibits.

So there you have it. Hope you enjoyed this short tour of the Capreol Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Center.  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:09:08 PM by Chako »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Wow! Those are some cool shots Dan! Some of them even look ominous or haunted. Love the history. Again, thanks for sharing.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I love these type museums.  The IR photos are wickedly beautiful.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
I always get excited when I see that you've started a thread like this.  As usual, I wasn't disappointed!!!  :tu: :tu: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Thanks.  :salute:

I have fixed a few typos that I have noticed...and added one forgotten photo, the inside of the snow plow car.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Excellent - thanks for sharing  :tu:

Offline Crocker

Very cool. We've camped in nearby Fairbanks Provincial Park, lovely area. Science North was worth a trip too.

A lot of railway history in northern Ontario. I spent a summer near Armstrong and it relied on the train way more than roads in those days.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%