Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you carry your cell phone?

Aloha · 63 · 3358

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
How do you carry your cell phone?
on: June 08, 2015, 05:55:11 PM
Among all the stuff we carry ( or I carry ) my cell is a very important part of my living.  I use it primarily for business so having quick access and a safe way to carry it are necessary.  I have typically put it into my pocket ( iphone5withotterboxdefendercase ) but it takes up so much real estate.

When I'm working I wear a tool belt with pouches however slipping it into a pouch is not really the best solution.  I wear shirts with pockets on the chest so when the phone fits, in it goes.  Now this is not the best option either as I've leaned over several times and yup out falls the phone.  I climb ladders a lot and coming on and off roofs with my phone in shirt pocket isn't the safest for my phone....... don't ask!

I bought a case at the flea market which fits my phone great.  The thickness and size of the phone keeps it snug in the case.  I like that its simple yet has the molle loops so I can add my always needed pens.  So far this has been the best case scenario ( see what i did there ) for my phone.  I can attach it to my work belt and back onto my pants belt easily which is a win. 

I don't know what the name of the case is or what it's official use is but I like it. 

How are you all carrying your phones??

EDIT
btw the loop of cord is how I hold my ear buds.  Its the stretchy cord so when I put in my ear buds and pull one end it cinches them very securely.     
IMG_8111.jpg
* IMG_8111.jpg (Filesize: 291.32 KB)
IMG_8112.jpg
* IMG_8112.jpg (Filesize: 311.27 KB)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:57:46 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Re: How do you carry your cell phone?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:38:12 PM
I carry my phone in my trousers pocket or in a pocket of my fleece jacket (if I wear one). It's in a leather case with a lit that close off horizontal.

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:30:37 PM
I still carry a Samsung S2 Skyrocket.  I want a new phone someday, but this one keeps on doing it.

It rides on my belt in a Maxpedition Vertical Smartphone Holster.  I cut the flap off, which gives me a drop-in configuration.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Vertical-Smart-Phone-Holster-84p2893.htm

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:34:54 PM
Cell phone was actually the item that got me started the whole edc thing, and still is the center of my system.

After getting my iPhone 5 with otterbox two years ago I realized I am never going to keep that in my pocket. So I went bought a tactical M4 mag pouch which like you said, fits the phone perfectly.

Later I went with a max TC-1 to store the phone and few other items. (LD02, K55K, PWII)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:38:56 PM
Nexus 4 in a slim case in my left front pocket, screen towards my leg. Usually nothing else goes in that pocket, but occasionally I'll put a clipped multi or torch in there next to the phone.  I've got the same wear pattern from the vertical edges of my phone on all my pairs of jeans. :facepalm:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:10:03 PM
oh how much I hate this phone problem....mine's huge, I barely found a case for it and it can't even be closed properly. but I love the phone, so I carry it oh a pouch. ironically, while I was walking ln the street today, holding my phone in hand, because it's too huge for any existing pocket on earth, I held it God knows how, so it slid down the place I can't zip up the case and down on the pavement it fell from like 1.5m :facepalm: TG the things still alive

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 01:14:26 AM
Nexus 4 in a slim case in my left front pocket, screen towards my leg. Usually nothing else goes in that pocket, but occasionally I'll put a clipped multi or torch in there next to the phone.  I've got the same wear pattern from the vertical edges of my phone on all my pairs of jeans. :facepalm:
Exactly what he said, except a Galaxy S5 :tu:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 04:32:11 AM
Don't have a cell phone so I have SO MUCH extra pocket space.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:53:05 AM
No cell phone, no paypal, no Facebook either?

I'm actually fairly jealous. I deleted the Facebook app today on my phone. It's so nice not to see/read the way my generation can't handle a joke or a story.

Then again; Capt. With Tapatalk would be invincible!!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 06:54:31 AM
Also, I carry my Samsung Note 3 (technically a phablet) with a Trident Case in my right front pocket usually. Screen in to avoid scratching on the LM.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 07:07:34 AM

I'm actually fairly jealous. I deleted the Facebook app today on my phone. It's so nice not to see/read the way my generation can't handle a joke or a story.

I actually love not having a cell phone. I have never had a Facebook or any social media accounts. The only "social" thing I do online is MTO.
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:37:51 AM

I actually love not having a cell phone. I have never had a Facebook or any social media accounts. The only "social" thing I do online is MTO.

Not even for emergencies? How do you survive in today's world :D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:42:24 AM
So that's my huge case, compare it to the size of my hand :ahhh the phone is slightly narrower, but long enough for me to risk tearing the zipper if I closed it all the time. That's why in the summer I have carry it in hand - no proper pants pocket, if I put it in my purse... I may not hear it. Gr.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:19:21 AM

Not even for emergencies? How do you survive in today's world :D

The one and only time I wish I had a phone is when driving long distances. If I was in a medical or life threatening emergency I could still dial 911 (or whatever your country uses) without a "working/paid" cell phone and it will go through.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 09:27:02 AM
My cell phone rings about 30 times a day and beeps about 200 times for all the emails I received.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 10:34:48 AM
@Captain

Interesting. I guess lots of people could go without phones here, too, but probably they're mostly the older guys. Do I sense any ... hatred towards electronics here? :D You didn't like paying with a card either, right?

I think I could go without a phone, too, before when I had a regular non-smartphone phone. I used the PC for communication mostly. I do need a phone to contact/get contacted by my parents, though. Old age, disability, that's the only way for them to sometimes call me to help. Now that I got a smartphone /only half a year ago, btw, you must think I'm old-fashioned/, I don't imagine how I lived without one before, lol :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 10:37:23 AM
I carry my Galaxy S5 in a slim Goosperry gel case, and it rides in my right front pocket screen towards my leg.  I have a Zagg invisible shield screen protector on it too, and the screen being against my leg also cleans it so it's never covered in smudges.  I have dropped this phone a million times onto concrete, tile, and dirt and the gel case has done it's job remarkably well. 

I have lately taken to clipping a folder in that pocket as well, very rarely the combo of knife and phone in my pocket drives me nuts, but it's not too bothersome. 

I also have a pelican hard case and clip holster for it, but I do a lot of crawling around in ceilings and under equipment so I can't stand having my phone on my belt. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 07:03:48 PM
@Captain

Interesting. I guess lots of people could go without phones here, too, but probably they're mostly the older guys. Do I sense any ... hatred towards electronics here? :D You didn't like paying with a card either, right?

I think I could go without a phone, too, before when I had a regular non-smartphone phone. I used the PC for communication mostly. I do need a phone to contact/get contacted by my parents, though. Old age, disability, that's the only way for them to sometimes call me to help. Now that I got a smartphone /only half a year ago, btw, you must think I'm old-fashioned/, I don't imagine how I lived without one before, lol :D

When I moved I cancelled my cell phone service and was planning on getting another, but noticed in my current situation I really do not need one 99% of the time. I decided to give it a couple of weeks and decide then. After those couple of weeks I had not needed a cell phone once and my decision was made. I have not had one since. If anything in my day to day life changes I would most likely need to get another cell phone. I am not opposed to cell phones (for the most part). I wish I had one right now, but again I do not really need one and not having a cell phone bill is a huge help so that's a huge advantage. The things I do not like about cell phones is how everyone is so entranced in their phones. You will see a group of people having lunch together and no one is talking or even looking at each other. Everyone is just looking down at their phones. People also get so into their phones they get hit by cars walking across the street, get in car accidents. Fall into man holes (yes this happened), and many other situations where people are just head down in their phones and not paying attention with what is going on. That is just the tip of the iceberg, but you get what I mean.
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 07:06:24 PM
Yeah, I do get what you  mean :guilty of those: :facepalm:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 07:39:48 PM
I utterly hate cell phones. Not having one would have been a huge problem, though. I bought one about 15 years ago when it had become automatic for people to assume everyone had one, and the ability to make an appointment (and keep it!) disappeared.  >:(  I haven't had a land line phone for more than 10 years. I suspect both land lines and phone booths are just relics of a long forgotten past in the eyes of the younger generation. (As for the original topic, my phone is rather large, so into the murse it goes.)

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 09:06:38 PM
You can turn off the phone and use it for emergencies only.

I think is an important safety device.

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 09:14:40 PM
LG L5

Front pocket in my trousers, without any kind of protection. I don't add anything else to my pocket though. It's somehow scratched but, hell, it's more than 2 years old.
Nothing fancy to write here...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 09:19:57 PM

Do you mean one with or without service?

It applies to both, but paying the crazy prices for cell phone service to never use it is quite ridiculous.
I'm the milk man!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 09:26:00 PM

It applies to both, but paying the crazy prices for cell phone service to never use it is quite ridiculous.

Obviously WITH service!

You can use a prepaid phone card (at least in Europe)
No contract

With the little use I have (a few calls, WhatsApp and Internet) I have a contract for 15 $
Without calls it would be less than 11$ (is that crazy?)  ???

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 09:26:50 PM

If I remember correctly as long as a phone has battery and can dial 911 it will go through.

Doesn't matter if it has a service contract or not, if it has signal, it should dial 911.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 09:50:17 PM

If I remember correctly as long as a phone has battery and can dial 911 it will go through.

Doesn't matter if it has a service contract or not, if it has signal, it should dial 911.

That´s right
I forget it.

So no excuse to not to carry an old mobile phone (don´t need a modern and big smartphone)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 12:41:16 AM
Wearing jeans, my iPhone 6 Plus goes in my front left pocket, screen in.  Cargo pants/shorts, left leg pocket, screen in.

I'm one of the people that's guilty of "my phone is my life".  I have no clue how I remembered to do things before having one.  I'm HORRIBLE with dates, and appointments!!

Having one for off-roading is also a must have.  I use GPS apps, and track my way through trails, which is great when out exploring new areas that you don't know.  If you get lost, just follow your tracks back.  Also, if you break down, or get stuck, you can easily text, FB or post of a forum your location, and situation.

My name is Derek, and I'm a phoneaholic! :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:01 AM
I spend hours on phone each day for work related stuff.

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 10:08:49 AM
@Captain

When I moved I cancelled my cell phone service and was planning on getting another, but noticed in my current situation I really do not need one 99% of the time. I decided to give it a couple of weeks and decide then. After those couple of weeks I had not needed a cell phone once and my decision was made. I have not had one since. If anything in my day to day life changes I would most likely need to get another cell phone. I am not opposed to cell phones (for the most part). I wish I had one right now, but again I do not really need one and not having a cell phone bill is a huge help so that's a huge advantage. The things I do not like about cell phones is how everyone is so entranced in their phones. You will see a group of people having lunch together and no one is talking or even looking at each other. Everyone is just looking down at their phones. People also get so into their phones they get hit by cars walking across the street, get in car accidents. Fall into man holes (yes this happened), and many other situations where people are just head down in their phones and not paying attention with what is going on. That is just the tip of the iceberg, but you get what I mean.

I'm very geeky.  Studies in physics and computer science. But I dislike talking on a phone so much, I don't use a smart phone.  It is an introvert's problem.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:09:54 AM by kosmo »
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:34 PM

Can you not use a pre-paid phone?  If The Wire is to be believed then you have those in the US similar to what we have here :)  That's what I have and it effectively costs me nothing, except for a few pennies of credit every few months making a call to keep it active.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:24:59 PM by shibafu »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD