Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Korrekturmesser für Stgw90

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Korrekturmesser für Stgw90
on: June 09, 2015, 07:00:08 AM
So, in this thread here, marduk brought to my attention that Victorinox is now making a version of the somewhat famous Swiss Arms SG 550 rear sight adjustment tool that Wenger has made for many years. Unlike a lot of the new Victorinox/Wenger hybrids coming out this year, this knife is NOT an adaption of an old Wenger design. No, this is a 100% Victorinox design using the standard 91mm Officer Knife frame with what is, as far as I know, the first new tool added to the 91mm family since the LED was introduced in 2003. Since Victorinox doesn't make new tools very often, this is big news for knife geeks like myself. I ordered one as quickly as I could find one from a well-known SAK collector in Switzerland and it arrived a couple weeks ago. I thought I’d start a new thread share what I've learned about how this thing works. So here is the new knife:

This knife is a custom run made for a company called Grünig and Elmiger (that’s their company logo above the "T" and "H" on the front scales). G&E is a Swiss sport hunting and shooting company in Malters, Lucerne. They make and sell rifles, sights, scopes and other shooting accessories as well as sell other outdoor and shooting related items.

The name Korrekturmesser, in typical no-nonsense Teutonic fashion, simply means "correction knife" or "adjustment knife". This is the official G&E name for the knife taken from their 2015 catalog shown above. I had originally wanted to make up a name and call it something like the "Marksman" in an attempt to mimic Victorinox naming conventions. However, I figured that since G&E had it made, we should call it what they do. So, Korrekturmesser it is.

So – how does it work? Well, to understand what the new (to Victorinox) tools do, you need to be familiar with the thing that this knife was made to adjust - the rear sight of the Swiss Arms SG-550 assault rifle. Also known in the Swiss Army as the Stgw 90 (Sturmgewehr 90) in German and the Fass 90 (Fusil d'assaut 90/Fucile d'assalto 90) in French/Italian, this is the Swiss standard issue infantry rifle. The rear sight of the SG-550 looks like this:

(In this picture, the butt is to the left and the barrel is to the right). This sight allows the operator to adjust for range (how far away), elevation (how high or low), and windage (how far left or right). To adjust the range, the operator simply turns the rear sight drum and range is adjusted from 100m-400m in increments of 100m.

Elevation

To adjust for elevation (move the bullet impact point up or down), the operator turns the elevation correction screw (3) on the sight. Using the Korrekturmesser, the operator would open the elevation adjuster (shown above) and insert the barrel of the tool over the elevation adjustment screw and turn. The barrel is spring loaded and inside is a small flat-head screwdriver. Presumably the barrel is to keep the tool from slipping off the correction screw while turning it. The Korrekturmesser has a handy set of guide arrows screen printed on the scales to indicate which way to turn the tool to adjust the impact point of the bullet. Turn to the right (T) to adjust for shots that are too low (tiefe) and turn to the left (H) to adjust for shots that are too high (hohe).

Windage

To adjust for windage (move the bullet impact point left or right), the operator turns the windage correction screw (6). Using the Korrekturmesser, the operator would insert the windage adjuster (shown above) into the windage adjustment screw and turn. Turning the adjuster to the right adjusts for shots that are too far left (links) and turning the adjuster to the left adjusts for shots that are too far to the right (rechts). As with the elevation adjuster, the Korrekturmesser has a handy set of guide arrows screen printed on the scales to indicate which way to turn the tool to adjust the impact point of the bullet. The windage adjuster tool on the knife really the backspring of the elevation adjuster tool that extends out past the other tools/springs/liners at the head of the knife.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:40:45 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Korrekturmesser für Stgw90
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:31:36 AM
 :cheers: :cheers: Great post!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:52 AM
Good info as always.   :salute:  The company I bought mine from is advertising it as a Fass 90 (Fusil d'assaut 90/Fucile d'assalto 90), apparently the French/Italian name for the SIG  SG 550 assault rifle.  The rear sight tool differs in shape from the earlier Wenger.

Just noticed I duplicated some of your info.  :oops:

IMG_6402.JPG
* IMG_6402.JPG (Filesize: 185.89 KB)
IMG_2846.JPG
* IMG_2846.JPG (Filesize: 53.34 KB)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:37:06 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:52:59 AM
Some better comparison shots.

IMG_6410.JPG
* IMG_6410.JPG (Filesize: 107.18 KB)
IMG_6407.JPG
* IMG_6407.JPG (Filesize: 112.63 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:15:25 AM
Very cool thread.  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:49:58 AM
Cheers jazzbass - what a great post!  :salute:

I love the German vocabulary. Reading the word 'tiefe' makes me wonder if that's what the Captain in Das Boot is saying when he's ordering the Boat deeper and deeper during the calibration exercises, as everyone else on the boat is sweating with tension as the rivets start creaking.

Note to self, carve out some time to watch Das Boot again
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:54:29 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

de Offline matzesu

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:05:17 AM
Jepp, "Tiefer" is exacly the same meaning as "deeper", 
I dotnt know: was "das Boot" in the english version also in German??
Fun Fact: some of the actors on this movie are well known Musik Stars today like "Herbert Grönemeyer "
Myself ditnt saw the movie, but i was in the Submarine they used at the Bavaria Film Studios when i was a child..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 11:27:11 AM
Jepp, "Tiefer" is exacly the same meaning as "deeper", 
I dotnt know: was "das Boot" in the english version also in German??
Fun Fact: some of the actors on this movie are well known Musik Stars today like "Herbert Grönemeyer "
Myself ditnt saw the movie, but i was in the Submarine they used at the Bavaria Film Studios when i was a child..

Thanks for the info!

I have the Original Uncut Version which is 293 minutes long and I watch it in German with English subtitles.
I would recommend watching the movie, it's extremely engrossing to watch  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 01:40:58 PM
Please ignore, I should read before I write :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 02:11:58 PM
Am I right in thinking that sight adjustment tool is the first truly new 91mm implement since the Cybertool driver and bit holder?

Ah, I was wrong, the LED light is newer.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
Nice tool.  But what is it about the Swiss Arms SG-550 rear sight (2015 model) that requires T&T :ahhh
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:26:47 PM by pingu »

it Online basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 04:15:27 PM
Congratulations on the very nice informations you provided and the very nice and detailed pictures.  :tu:

No, this is a 100% Victorinox design using the standard 91mm Officer Knife frame with what is, as far as I know, the first new tool added to the 91mm family since the LED was introduced in 2003.
Don't get me wrong, since Victorinox is lacking any kind of innovation I understand all of this excitement for something "new" every 10 or so years.
However I don't get what "innovation" did Victorinox here.
They simply adapted to their 93mm frame some special tools that Wenger, NOT Victorinox, already made years ago.  :think:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 12:38:13 AM
I like it!  Seems like a much classier version of the old M1 Garand multi tool.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD