Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Switch Plier 2.0 SWP1001-CP

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
SOG Switch Plier 2.0 SWP1001-CP
on: June 12, 2015, 02:36:46 PM

One of SOGs latest releases this year is the remake of their Switch Plier. And, remake they did! And beefed it up and upped the quality. SOG really brought there "A" game on this one.
Weighing in at 6.3 ounces and a little over 4 inches long make it a rather compact tool with a lot of options and tools.
The main focus of the tool is it's lightning fast deployment of it pliers. Just press the button and out come the spring loaded pliers, with authority.

With a total tool count of 12 tools, there is not much the the Switch Plier can't tackle. From knife blade to file, it is packed full of tool and has rulers on the side to measure bolts, nuts and what not.

It even has a nice and tight low profile pocket clip to clip to your pocket so you don't lose it.

And if there is a tool you don't use or like, no problem. Just switch it out for another one. One of the things I love about SOG, they want you to tear down your tools and change stuff out. And the best part is that it does not void the warranty.

While the Switch Plier is no Powerlock, don't let its size fool you. It hits way above its class. To turning 9/16 nuts on equipment or cracking a cold one, it will handle the job and look good doing it too.

If you are having second thoughts about getting one, go get one. The Switch Plier will not disappoint.

Nate
That's us mobile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:47:54 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: SOG Switch Plier 2.0 SWP1001-CP
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:48:25 PM
Nice review Nate!!  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
Thanks Dmac!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:55:04 PM
Hmmm, can you get Robertson drivers for these?  A great loadout for me would be a #2 Philips, #2 Robertson, Medium (or large) flat head, and a file.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 02:58:34 PM
Not that I am aware of. But you can get the quarter inch drive for it and use a bit kit. If you are leaven the blade and awl out it should fit.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 04:07:11 PM
Hmmm, can you get Robertson drivers for these?  A great loadout for me would be a #2 Philips, #2 Robertson, Medium (or large) flat head, and a file.
If the Switch Plier 2.0 takes the standard SOG tool components (and I would be surprised if it didn't) then you might be able to find an old beat-up SOG MT (some of the really old ones had Robbie drivers) and take the driver from that and fit it to your SwitchPlier.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:44:27 AM
I forgot about the older ones having Robertson drivers.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Thanks for the write up Nate  :cheers:

It's encouraging to see how much positive feedback this tool is getting. I've seen very little negative commentary on it, and if this continues I might be tempted to try one for myself later in the year.

(giving it time for the novelty to wear off, and reality to creep in ;) :P)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:57 PM
If you can find it. Amazon doesn't have it up anymore, sog website still says coming soon and other vendors say pre order
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 03:46:55 PM
Understandable Al. This tool has really has impressed me. Impressed me like the LM Surge kind of impressed. To me anyways. And everyone who knows me knows, the Surge is king, game over, turn out the lights, party over, fat lady has sung and all of that. I like it that much and has done everything that I have asked of it. Even a few things that I should have put it away and got my Powerlock or Surge. For its size, it does pretty good.
It kinda weird, but it is hard to figure out what class to put it in. For it size, I guess a medium duty. Some where between a Skeletool and Wave/Spirit. Only thing can say is to try one out. Either you will like it or hate it. I will say, its not the old Switch Plier. This one they built to last.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:52:00 PM
I've been EDCing it on the farm and I have to say, I'm really impressed.

It does not have the full set of tools of the LM Charge BUT:

It is much lighter.
It is slimmer.
It carries better

The pliers and cutters seem extremely good (as good or slightly better than the Charge).  The wire stripper works great and the blade is very adequate.

It's a solid stripped down MT.  I predict this will be a big seller for SOG

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 03:52:49 PM
If you can find it. Amazon doesn't have it up anymore, sog website still says coming soon and other vendors say pre order
I talked to a guy at SOG, when I was going to order one, He said about another 3 to 4 weeks (around the end of June)til big a Shipment would be in.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 04:09:00 PM
That is a very nice review, although, I was gonna buy it anyway  >:D

This just looks like a tool that sells itself. I can't wait to get mine :D :D
SAW

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 04:12:30 PM
I talked to a guy at SOG, when I was going to order one, He said about another 3 to 4 weeks (around the end of June)til big a Shipment would be in.

Nate
That's us mobile
Thanks I do want one. It looks very promising.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 06:02:13 PM
I still want one, and still cant find them sold locally or online anywhere that ships to Canada.  :-[
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline David

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 07:14:16 PM
Good review Nate.   :tu:      A body might find a Robertson driver on the bay. I might have an extra in the pile of SOG components.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:20:06 PM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 07:24:47 PM
I've been EDCing it on the farm and I have to say, I'm really impressed.

It does not have the full set of tools of the LM Charge BUT:

It is much lighter.
It is slimmer.
It carries better

The pliers and cutters seem extremely good (as good or slightly better than the Charge).  The wire stripper works great and the blade is very adequate.

It's a solid stripped down MT.  I predict this will be a big seller for SOG

Wow! That's quite a statement, particularly coming from yourself Nate. I know how well the Charge has served you in the past  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 07:32:22 PM
Understandable Al. This tool has really has impressed me. Impressed me like the LM Surge kind of impressed. To me anyways. And everyone who knows me knows, the Surge is king, game over, turn out the lights, party over, fat lady has sung and all of that. I like it that much and has done everything that I have asked of it. Even a few things that I should have put it away and got my Powerlock or Surge. For its size, it does pretty good.
It kinda weird, but it is hard to figure out what class to put it in. For it size, I guess a medium duty. Some where between a Skeletool and Wave/Spirit. Only thing can say is to try one out. Either you will like it or hate it. I will say, its not the old Switch Plier. This one they built to last.

Nate
That's us mobile

I'm quite familiar with the onboard tools from owning a few different SOGs in the past. The biggest issue for me was the inboard knife and saw being of limited funtcion due to the opposite handle getting in the way.... oh, and also the scissors being "upside down". The configuration of the Switchplier "corrects" these issues, and turns mediocre tools into more capable ones. The positive reports on the pliers themselves is music to my ears. They're not available over here yet anyway, but if the results remain positive, and there are no short/medium term failures reported, I will be trying one for sure  :tu:

us Offline sawman

Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 07:40:30 PM
I'm extremely impressed with my recent purchase of a PL 2.0 w/ lever lock. If they can exhibit that same level quality in the Switch Plier then I will definitely be getting one at some point. :tu:
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 07:50:18 PM
Sawman, they are made just as good if not a tad better. Hopefully Nate can confirm, but the file seems more aggressive and the Phillips driver, looks basically the same seems to handle #2 Phillips better. Could just be mine.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 07:56:27 PM
Sawman, they are made just as good if not a tad better. Hopefully Nate can confirm, but the file seems more aggressive and the Phillips driver, looks basically the same seems to handle #2 Phillips better. Could just be mine.

Nate
That's us mobile
Some people find the handle covers an inconvenience but I kinda like their design and the subtle improvements they've made like torx screws, and gear covers. That, and given you can easily replace the main components yourself I think they could give LM a run for their money. Maybe they just need more advertising.
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 07:56:50 PM

Nate
That's us mobile

Good to hear  :tu:

Personally, I'd be fitting scissors and the bit adapter thingummybob  :D Also worth noting, is that the diamond file from a PST II would drop in....

Just saying  :whistle: :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 08:13:01 PM
I do like LM diamond files. I have been thinking about changing some tools out. Saw and 1/4 bit driver myself. But I figure I will run it stock to see how it gets along for now and so others can see it in action to help decide if they want. one or not.

I just had a thought, well a bunch of them really. Hey Zman, can I get a badge out of this, or is the format wrong. If so, what is format. Or point me in the right direction. I will probably do another review after I have had it a while. Long term type of a review.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 04:37:37 AM
I just had a thought, well a bunch of them really. Hey Zman, can I get a badge out of this, or is the format wrong. If so, what is format. Or point me in the right direction. I will probably do another review after I have had it a while. Long term type of a review.

You can get a badge if it gets posted on the main site. We do have this guide for reviews. Feel free to PM us if you are interested in following this up.  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 06:58:22 AM
This has me curious about it.  Just the fiddle factor alone would likely make it worth checking out for me ;)  It'd be a good companion to a robust SAK I think.
K-Tibbs

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 07:05:00 AM

You can get a badge if it gets posted on the main site. We do have this guide for reviews. Feel free to PM us if you are interested in following this up.  :tu:
Thanks Zman! I knew you get me hooked up. Thanks again.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:01 AM
This has me curious about it.  Just the fiddle factor alone would likely make it worth checking out for me ;)  It'd be a good companion to a robust SAK I think.
Its definitely has fiddle factor. A lot of it.
Would go great with a Compact or a farmer.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 05:09:04 AM
Great review, guess I'm a little late to the party.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 11:17:19 AM
Thanks Colt! Nah never to late. Besides, MTO is famous for thread necromancy.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 01:16:18 PM
Its definitely has fiddle factor. A lot of it.
Would go great with a Compact or a farmer.

Nate
That's us mobile

That's exactly how I EDC it.  SwitchPlier and Farmer.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%