Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you EDC your collector´s pieces...???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Do you EDC your collector´s pieces...???
on: June 15, 2015, 05:49:44 PM
...with the risk of breakage, lost or being confiscated (e.g.: forgetting to left it at home when you travel (TSA))???

Do you push them to the limit?

Example:

It is not the same to EDC an older SAK (officer knife) than an actual SAK.
It would give me pitty to force or broke the first one

Thank you!!!  :tu: :tu: :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Do you EDC your collector´s pieces...???
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:01:05 PM
no
If I get something for collection purposes only, it does not get used, unless i get a 2nd one.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline 360BT

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:57:57 AM
Funny I just looked at the "What did you carry today" thread and was wondering why so many tools don't look used.
I have collectables I do not carry and tools I carry every day and use. So I keep them separate. I should ad most of my collectables are early designs.  Better newer designs are available and work better for me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:05:13 AM by 360BT »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:04:45 AM
I do not carry SAK's specifically bought for collecting.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:11:20 AM
Everything gets carried at least once. I've EDC'd tools that would be considered collectors items, and in some cases have used the hell out of them.  Mint condition first-gen Schrade Tough Tool with the original leather sheath?  User.  Mr. Pinchy?  User.  MP600 with BO tools and factory red paint?  User.  Limited edition Queen slipjoint that says "1 of 50" on the blade?  Doesn't say that anymore, it wore off.  I'm evil at times when it comes to that.  See my sig line.......  >:D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:12:33 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:01:25 AM
I've bought most of my tools for my collection second hand.  I have a few new tools that dont see use however thats mostly due to the tool not fitting a role.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:06:01 AM
The collectables are separate from the users. Why risk damaging a rare and expensive piece when a common item will work just as well. For instance mother-of-pearl looks beautiful, but drop one on a concrete floor and 90% of the value just went down the drain. Likewise if you break the back spring on an older knife.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:07:13 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 06:12:38 AM
The collectables are separate from the users. Why risk damaging a rare and expensive piece when a common item will work just as well. For instance mother-of-pearl looks beautiful, but drop one on a concrete floor and 90% of the value just went down the drain. Likewise if you break the back spring on an older knife.

+100

Very rarely. I have plenty to carry that aren't worth a bunch.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 12:10:55 PM
Everything gets carried at least once. I've EDC'd tools that would be considered collectors items, and in some cases have used the hell out of them.  Mint condition first-gen Schrade Tough Tool with the original leather sheath?  User.  Mr. Pinchy?  User.  MP600 with BO tools and factory red paint?  User.  Limited edition Queen slipjoint that says "1 of 50" on the blade?  Doesn't say that anymore, it wore off.  I'm evil at times when it comes to that.  See my sig line.......  >:D
This here, I am the same way.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 12:34:34 PM
In the past, I did EDC most of everything for a limited period of time. I did this because I wanted to know everything about a given multi-tool. I was also exploring what I liked and didn't like, and I felt the best way forward on that was to use them. Nothing like actual usage to quickly hone on what works and doesn't work for you.

With that said, I have now stuck to a few tools I know I like for my purposes. I rarely EDC other tools these days. For example, I see no need to EDC another Gerber MP600 variant once I have figured out the ins and outs of the class. Now I do not take out my hanger queens anymore. No sense damaging a valuable and rare tool to sate a curiosity these days. 
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:51:13 PM
A use all my SAKS as I think that's what there for but I'm not a collecter and don't have anything rare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 02:01:42 PM
My game plan is: have on tool and use the crap out of it.
It is an Swisstool X so it may take a while. :D

I once bought an Extrema ratio BF1 for 130 euros.
Big mistake.
It was an excellent knife. But:
1 i already have an excellent knife on my Swisstool.
2 it was too expensive to pry with or cut material it wasn't intended for.
So i sold it again.

But for people who only carry a knife (who are not on this forum :D) It was an excellent knife. extremely good build quality

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 02:46:08 PM
No point in owning a tool if I'm not prepared to use it

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 02:52:44 PM
I edc my Tiffany Sterling Silver MiniChamp. I'd never edc the Carl Damascus Explorer.
The rest... I could edc I guess, but there is nothing my Tinker/Spydie Tenacious/Midnite Rogue can't do, with the occasional Spirit help so they mostly collect dust and look pretty...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:27:14 PM
I only buy what i want to use.

Between using it, it may be stored behind glass (or if i decide i don´t enjoy to use it, until i give it away). But there is no tool/knive i bought for display purpose as aknive/tool itself (unless it was used as a movie prop and so i display it in my prop collection, but those are only bought due to the prop factor for display only).
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 03:03:06 PM
I only use what can be easily replaced. If I get something old or discontinued it will probably make my pocket because I can't help it but won't be used except very lightly.
Andrew

de Offline fauxbone

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 01:30:11 PM
I carry and use every single one of my tools but the rarer/older and more expensive they are the
more I use them what they were made for (no "abuse")
Peter

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 01:56:32 PM
I only buy what i want to use.

^ This for me too.  Also, if I buy something and it turns out I don't use it, it gets moved on.  I do have a couple of uncommon tools that get used at times too - an orange Farmer that got taken apart for a mod and a Swiss Champ XLT.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:54 PM
No.

Some of my "collector's" pieces were very difficult to find, so I'm not going to risk damaging (or worse still, losing) them.  I also have heaps of "users" that in many cases are more useful/functional anyway.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:16 PM
I keep my users and collectors separate and I do have backups of some items. I see no sense in destroying a collector's item just for the hell of it.
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 06:55:36 PM
I have pure collector pieces, pure user pieces and "collector/user pieces".

The Collector/users don't do serious farm duty but do get carried to work and out on the town.  Farm use tools have no chance of retaining their original beauty.  None.  So if you're a tool and get relegated to farm duty, be prepared.  :ahhh

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 12:12:53 AM
Nope. I have 50-something alox SAKs that remain collection pieces only. No need to use them and risk ruining the way they look - I don't care for the drop in value as I don't intend to sell these during the course of my lifetime
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 01:29:35 AM
In times like these where the internet has a picture of every thing I can see why some think an item is less collectible. In the past I recall saying "Oh yes I remember seeing on of those, I think". Now with a few clicks on the internet you can most likely find  it. The internet has opened the door to may collectors they can find multi tools once thought to have been extinct. On the other side many collectible tools have become common place because of availability on the internet. I collect multi tools that are no longer produced so I do not use them. A couple of my BuckTools took several years to find, but finally they can up on the net and I have them. Most sellers had no idea what they were selling. I got one of my rarest BuckTools for $40 (buy it now} the seller could have gotten 10 times that if he had put it up for auction, he had no idea what he was selling. I understand people that want to use their tools because you can not take them with you in the end. Just my opinion.  :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 12:13:04 AM
In times like these where the internet has a picture of every thing I can see why some think an item is less collectible. In the past I recall saying "Oh yes I remember seeing on of those, I think". Now with a few clicks on the internet you can most likely find  it. The internet has opened the door to may collectors they can find multi tools once thought to have been extinct. On the other side many collectible tools have become common place because of availability on the internet. I collect multi tools that are no longer produced so I do not use them. A couple of my BuckTools took several years to find, but finally they can up on the net and I have them. Most sellers had no idea what they were selling. I got one of my rarest BuckTools for $40 (buy it now} the seller could have gotten 10 times that if he had put it up for auction, he had no idea what he was selling. I understand people that want to use their tools because you can not take them with you in the end. Just my opinion.  :D
Hey buddy!, great to see you lurking about. Haven't seen you in a long time. :cheers:
SAW

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 08:39:38 PM

Hey buddy!, great to see you lurking about. Haven't seen you in a long time. :cheers:
[/quote]

Thanks sawman. I have spent some time on here recently restoring some of my BuckTool pictures that got deleted (thanks enki_ck), And I hope to spend some more time on here again.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 02:10:26 PM
I consider my EDC's also as part of my collection. You only live once though, and if I was passionate about carrying a certain model I most likely would, regardless of the rarity. If for instance the Sempach Climber had a half stop on the opener, I would carry it, even more likely if it had the hook also. I would definitely try to find a 2nd one to keep in the collection in mint condition (which I did, now I have 2 that I don't carry  ::)) My current carry is pretty basic though, just things that I'm used to carrying. I do try to keep my collection narrowed down to pieces that I can imagine carrying in some situation or other, or have carried before. I have some SwissChamps like that, the MOP model does not get carried, but if I had occasion to open a bottle of wine for the President or the Queen I would probably want to be carrying it, if only to demonstrate my exquisite taste in pocket tools. :whistle:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 08:14:34 AM
I have a modest collection (compared to many here) of SAKs and also a few LMs.

It is a kind of rule of my collection that they have to be 'users'.
I think this comes from my - 'I am not a collector' denial days !!  ;)
Although I am of the philospohy that tools are there to be used....

However I did get interested in the older tools, and tool evolution - And I do now have a few tools that are precious - Probably only to me!!  ;)
Many of my SAKs are second hand anyway.. So as someone said above, they are already used...
However I do want to take care of the ones that are special to me....

I seem to have settled on a Wenger Traveller for regular EDC and a LM PST in my wee EDC bag.

Other tools get carried from time to time - But I do try and carry them all once or twice.

I did get a real thrill and nice feeling from carrying my Vic Damascus Climber - Thinks  ??? - 'What a cool knife in my pocket'!! - and also a '42 Soldier - Thinks  ??? - 'Wow - I am carrying a knife that a Swiss Soldier carried during WWII'.  8)
..... Although I was paranoid about loosing or damaging them!!!

What was disappointing was - On the days I did carry these tools no one saw them - apart from me.
Wouldn't it be great if you whipped out your cool ebony handled, Damascus bladed SAK and someone pipes up - 'Wow that's a really nice knife' - Or 'That's an unusual pocket knife' - And you give them a quick SAK Soldier history lesson.  :o

Sadly this never happened - So it was only me who appreciated the carry !!   :D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 10:24:37 PM
Simple answer - No

I don't see the need. If something needs cutting then cut it. It doesn't need to be a super rare or expensive tool, just one with a blade will suffice. Do wine connoisseurs guzzle their collection to prove the obvious that it tastes wonderful, ofcourse not. So why carry a collectors piece unless your aim is to show off or create envy.  Neither of which interests me personally.

My own view -  is  why would you risk losing, breaking, damaging something that in many cases you've spent months if not years trying to find. I find it bizzare almost arrogant those who abuse something special because they can. Bit like the local museum loaning out antiquities to be used... Because isn't that what they were made for??

I don't see any difference. The thought of me actually using my Tim Leatherman signed Genus just because it's a tool fills me with horror. Why?? Why do so when a cheaper more readily available pair of secuteurs would do the job just as well.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:32 PM
Nope, wanted to carry a Spartan for awhile but my only Spartan is my limited edition Spartan. So buying another one and a Climber on payday.  :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 10:59:01 PM
Simple answer - No

I don't see the need. If something needs cutting then cut it. It doesn't need to be a super rare or expensive tool, just one with a blade will suffice. Do wine connoisseurs guzzle their collection to prove the obvious that it tastes wonderful, ofcourse not. So why carry a collectors piece unless your aim is to show off or create envy.  Neither of which interests me personally.

My own view -  is  why would you risk losing, breaking, damaging something that in many cases you've spent months if not years trying to find. I find it bizzare almost arrogant those who abuse something special because they can. Bit like the local museum loaning out antiquities to be used... Because isn't that what they were made for??

I don't see any difference. The thought of me actually using my Tim Leatherman signed Genus just because it's a tool fills me with horror. Why?? Why do so when a cheaper more readily available pair of secuteurs would do the job just as well.

.... and on the flip side, I used my Kit Carson tribute edition M16 the day it arrived.  :D

It all comes down to how you view them, collectors item or tool. To me they are tools, and I only get pleasure from them by putting them to work and having them solve problems as they were intended. For other people simply owning them is enough, but for me owning a tool and not using it (either through fear of "spoiling" it, losing it, or simply just not enjoying using it, is very frustrating.

My wardrobe doesn't have clothes I don't wear, and my kitchen doesn't have food I don't eat. Use it or lose it for me, but I understand not everyone works the same way  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD