Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your most unique user?

us Offline tommywp

What's your most unique user?
on: August 25, 2015, 05:51:34 AM
I'm interested to hear about the more obscure items that you guys have picked up with the intent of using. I'm sure there are tons of interesting collector pieces but lets consider those off topic.

Mine is a Triple Eight Cop Tool. Shown with a 58mm Manager for scale. Haven't used it too often...last time I can remeber is at Christmas to get that plastic webbing off the tree. You kind of snap your fingers to open it and the blade and one of the sides rotate around the pivot...very fun to play with. I've found that the sharpness of the blade detracts from the pry bar function, but the design is plenty strong for prying. Hasn't found its way in to any of my regular carry combos, but I like having it. 
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 170.34 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 166.28 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What's your most unique user?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:00:05 AM
Great topic however I dont have anything to add.  I do use a OC Red Farmer and Ribbed Red Cadet 2 but those are necessarily unique. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:09:57 AM
That's really cool. Mine is a Jacob's Ladder knife I got years ago from Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

Here it is, closed:

Partly open, sharp edge to the left:

Open and locked, with sharp edge down:

Small hinged end:

The handle's about 4" long. I've never seen another one like it.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline tommywp

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 02:45:41 PM
I've never seen a Jacobs Ladder design before. Very cool. Is there any sort of "click" to keep the two handles together when the knife is out or is it just your grip that keeps it closed?

Seems like a good design for a DIY multitool as you don't need to worry about back springs or more complex locks. Hmmm...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:49:26 PM by tommywp »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:19 PM
I've never seen a Jacobs Ladder design before. Very cool. Is there any sort of "click" to keep the two handles together when the knife is out or is it just your grip that keeps it closed.

There's the little corner that's in the bottom of the front side of the blade that mates with the edge of the handle.

It opens about twice as fast as a balisong; maybe about the same speed as an un-sprung folder with a thumb hole.

To open it, hold it in the hand with the big screw at the bottom so the inner parts will fall out. Let go of the inside part of the handle and lean it forward, and it all just falls out. (chk-chk-chk) Then, swing the wrist in an arc back up, so that centrifugal force keeps the blade out. It all goes back inside the outer part of the handle. Then, squeeze with the hand until the blade locks in that notch.

It is classified as a "gravity knife" by some knife laws, which I think is why it is no longer made. Demand is not high enough. It looks as flashy in action as a balisong, but its lock-up is nowhere near as strong. One has to keep a firm grip on it, or it can (harmless) unlock. When I got it, that little notch was not at enough of a right angle; I had to file it sharper for it to work properly. I think I got it in the late 80s.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Offline shecky

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:06 AM
That's really cool. Mine is a Jacob's Ladder knife I got years ago from Smoky Mountain

The handle's about 4" long. I've never seen another one like it.

Looks nearly identical to a knife currently marketed by Fred Perrin called the Tri-Folder. The "tri folder" design, and variations, seem to pop up every now and then. I think Blackie Collins had a patent on one. W. R. Case made one with zytel handles. Cold Steel made a variant intended for showy flipping.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:24 PM
My most unique users are probably my mods. Unless someone's been avidly watching and replicating what I put together, there's a slim chance of me bumping into anyone else carrying the same gear  :D

As to standard stock stuff, very few people here seem to use a Gerber Balance or a BG Strata, so I suppose they might count. As to knives and axes, my Roselli 850, Chris Caine tool, DuPlessis Warthog, Muela Jabali 17A, Chris Caine skeleton knife, rustic Brusletto, the two knives I made, and a few of my folders probably set me apart from the rest of the crowd.

Regarding knives specifically, it's very rare I see anyone on here with the same stuff as I don't tend to follow consumer trends. The trends seen to have gone off into high performance steels (which I personally see as expensive and counter productive), and US made for the bigger brutal knives, whereas mine tend to be European including several items made in Sheffield

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:31:00 PM
Regarding knives specifically, it's very rare I see anyone on here with the same stuff as I don't tend to follow consumer trends. The trends seen to have gone off into high performance steels (which I personally see as expensive and counter productive), and US made for the bigger brutal knives, whereas mine tend to be European including several items made in Sheffield

Just in case of any misunderstanding, I ought to add that I've nothing against the US made stuff, I just already have all my needs covered with the locally produced items  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:26 AM
Just in case of any misunderstanding, I ought to add that I've nothing against the US made stuff, I just already have all my needs covered with the locally produced items  :tu:
Understood, and admirable.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:55:03 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95