Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LCHF diet

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
LCHF diet
on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:34 PM
Hi Everybody

LCHF, Banting, I'm sure most of you know what that's about....

I didn't buy a book and start following the teachings of some guru, I like to think I started on a bio-feedback diet where I slowly but surely cut out anything that wasn't good for me - mainly bread (and everything related) and sugar.

Considering equipment limitations, I only know I was more than 155Kg in Novermber 2014, and I'm down to 130kg with hopefully 15kg more to go....

Camping is easy since we mostly do "car camping", I just make sure there's enough bacon, enough eggs, meat and more meat as well as some fruit and nuts.......sorted! 8)

So what's the LCHF version of bannock - seal blubber? :think: :rofl:

I guess my version of prepping is getting a go-bag ready that would help you survive in the wild.  I've got many of the bases covered, and in this process put together a first aid bag - my first and a bloody miracle I got along without it so far.

Some outstanding items are just a case of time and $$, need a lighter hammock and tarps for instance.

Shoes - sort of given up on finding something I won't kill, and my best solution so far is cutting soles from old conveyor belt that can be made into flipflops when my shoes give way.

Food that won't do more harm than good is another huge issue for me.

Any thoughts appreciated  8) 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: LCHF diet
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:58:41 PM
I had to run LCHF through a search engine....

Your biggest issue with fat over carbs will be storage. Potatoes, pasta and other grain based products. Can be bought in a dry form and will store well. Fats are more tricky without refrigeration or high salting. Hard cheese will last afew days, peanut butter will last longer. A dehydrator will let you take some meats, fish, etc. Maybe even chilli, but it's more difficult to dry in my experience. Possibly egg powder, dehydrated meats and vegetables will let you replace bannock with omlettes. You'd need to rehydrate the meat andfish first.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline buck

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:10:16 PM
I equate prepping with survival.  In a survival situation the first thing to go out the window would be such niceties as a specialized diet.  You're going to have to eat what the Gods offer sooner or later.

I don't know the conditions of Namibia, especially these days or what you are asking exactly.  Maybe you are trying to assemble a kit to get through a rough but temporary emergency situation?  Or is it just a camping trip and you don't want to blow your diet plan?

I've lost 50 lbs. and 6 belt loops just generally observing a low carb diet.  I don't avoid carbs altogether but do minimize them and quite the opposite on fruit.  I'd take as much trail mix, dried meat and dried fruit as possible, and rely on rod and rifle.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:41:22 PM
Possibly egg powder

Not something I've ever used before, can't offhand recall ever seeing it in a shop, but I should be able to get it - thanks!

In a survival situation the first thing to go out the window would be such niceties as a specialized diet
With you 100%.
I've tried bugs to see if they're feasible, they are mostly yummy, but I also realized most bugs were easier to catch when you were 6....

To answer your question, there's no specific goal with the bag other than preparedness.   I would love to test myself and my equipment at some point, but I also think in a survival situation there are no rules or limits, and to a certain extent I just have to  trust my instincts and capabilities should that ever happen.

I have wire and heavy braid for snares, added several rat traps to the mix last week, but I don't necessarily want to trap, kill and eat some critters as an experiment.

I've lost 50 lbs. and 6 belt loops just generally observing a low carb diet.  I don't avoid carbs altogether but do minimize them and quite the opposite on fruit.  I'd take as much trail mix, dried meat and dried fruit as possible, and rely on rod and rifle.

Well done, I believe you have then experienced all the other benefits (relief more correct?) of this diet.
I avoid most other cards by being a bachelor too lazy to cook much.
Pasta satisfies me for about 2 minutes....
Potatoes are my Achilles Heel, so my rule is I only eat them if somebody else cooked them  :rofl:

Our version of jerky (biltong) is a no-brainer, but honestly not something I could or would leave tucked away in a bag.....
rely on rod and rifle.

I'm very much a fisherman, but much use that'll do you in most parts of this country.
As for hunting, I've got a Ruger .357 SA revolver, and nothing else.
For various reasons a hunting rifle is not practical for me.  I also don't consider it a renewable resource....
And there's the weight...

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:34:05 PM
Due to dirty water what was supposed to be my Winter fly fishing getaway was a bust......muddy water=no bugs=no fish in the rapids.

They are there however, and it was funny to see that a stick, some mono and a small hook did the business.

Turns out the Yellow fish roasting on the fire is very tasty, but almost impossible to eat due to the bones. Soup?

us Offline buck

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:10 PM
2 secret weapons of mine are low net carb tortillas (HEB or Mission brand) and Pepperidge Farm light style wheat bread.  Not often but as necessary.  There are better breads on paper but then they also taste like smurfing paper.

Also eat as much veggies as you can stand.  If you half way fill up with them you're golden.

I've been to Africa 4 times but never Namibia.  Are the various antelope a possibility?  All the safaris I was on we ate antelope the majority of the time but then we always had rifles.  I've ran and walked up on cape buffalo 25 miles with a 12 lb. .470 in a day.  Tracked elephant just as far.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:11:58 AM
I've been to Africa 4 times but never Namibia.  Are the various antelope a possibility?  All the safaris I was on we ate antelope the majority of the time but then we always had rifles.  I've ran and walked up on cape buffalo 25 miles with a 12 lb. .470 in a day.  Tracked elephant just as far.
As far as eating is concerned, I'll take any of our antelope (with the exception of Red Hartebees) over beef or lamb. Oryx, Springbok, Kudu, Eland, all great meat.
Fact is in any realistic scenario hunting these on foot will lead to waste even if you get lucky.
I don't view any rifle, with the possible exception of .22 or pellet guns as a renewable resource.

I often play "what if" in my head when I'm out in the bush on foot, and the fact is most places in Namibia won't be easy to survive. 

but never Namibia

Namibia, Botswana and Zambia are still worth visiting, the rest is just dangerous or circling the drain in some way, religion politics or money.....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%