Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

There is always a first for everything

VAXCO · 22 · 2345

pt Offline VAXCO

There is always a first for everything
on: April 28, 2015, 07:45:03 PM
Got my skeletool, and having mixed feelings....
First of all, I live in Portugal, and here there is near to none leatherman sellers, so I bought my skeletool from an eBay seller. Ordered the Cx model, three weeks later I received...  The regular one... To return it, I'll have to pay something like 18USD (15€) which the seller doesn't cover... Nevermind, I'll keep it!
After 2 days edcing it, I'm kind of disappointed. Is the 420hc steel really this soft? The plain part of the combo edge is completely dull! The hardest thing I cutter was 1 cardboard box, everything else was duct tape, and plastic bags (coffee bags). On the other hand, I'm surprised with the serrated part, razor sharp and holding pretty well.
The blade and the tip are getting full of marks, the blade from scratching in the  liner lock, and the tip... I have no idea...
The bits that came are great, but there are a few problems...  The flat one hasn't been used, and is already all scratched and losing the coating. The Philips one doesn't lock when using the number 2, because the bigger one is inside and it hits the bottom before the lock gets into place...
Check the pictures

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: There is always a first for everything
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:01 PM
Now that's just wrong. :/ Did you already leave feedback for him. You shouldn't be paying for return shipping as this is not the case of you not being happy with the stuff you ordered but you getting the wrong item of a lesser value than the one you paid for.

If the seller doesn't offer you some sort of compensation, you should put in a claim with eBay and say you didn't get the item you ordered. There's an about 25% price difference between these two tools and you shouldn't be stuck with something you didn't order.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:04 PM
Now that's just wrong. :/ Did you already leave feedback for him. You shouldn't be paying for return shipping as this is not the case of you not being happy with the stuff you ordered but you getting the wrong item of a lesser value than the one you paid for.

If the seller doesn't offer you some sort of compensation, you should put in a claim with eBay and say you didn't get the item you ordered. There's an about 25% price difference between these two tools and you shouldn't be stuck with something you didn't order.
What he said.

pt Offline VAXCO

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:22:36 AM
I already opened a case on ebay, but the listing clearly says "buyer pays return shipping"
I already gave a negative feedback (first ever) alerting other buyers.
The price was good, the shop sells medical supplies and Leatherman´s, therefore I thought they weren´t much into the prices and thought it was a good deal, plus freeshipping. For a CX was a good deal, for the regular one was somehow the regular price.

But the main question in this is about the 420HC, is it really that soft.

I used the blade 2 days and completely dull already. I edc a Tenacious for about 2 years, abused it much more, and there are no marks on the blade, and only sharpened it once.
The scratch marks aren´t really visible, but on the liner side I can see it won´t last long. I opened it let´s say 20 or 30 times and it´s already like this...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:02:36 AM
I would not expect 420HC, especially on a product sold by a decent company, to be particularly soft. However, mistakes do happen.

Also, what does sometimes happen is that when the blade is sharpened at the factory the edge overheats, destroying the temper and making the actual edge softer.
After the blade is sharpened by the owner, removing this soft layer, it is as hard as it should be.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline magicmike

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:37:03 PM
ive used my cx for years daily
but its the standard blade, and yes cutting a few cardboard boxes it dulls fast

I ended up investing in a couple sharpeners
an electric one with some sanding belts I can get a super clean edge
then a hand held tool with ceramic to touch it up every couple days

as you can see from my photos, this is from cardboard or through tape I never abused it
but keep in mind few years old

I just switched over to a rebar for my daily tool
havent checked what type of knife metal it uses, but im hoping it will keep an edge longer
although since I invested in that belt sander sharpener its not a big deal to sharpen the tools
Would like to go a few weeks before touching up instead of a few days

also ebay wont help much
they will say return it for a refund
not sure if ebay will make the seller pay shipping costs once they receive it
but its not worth it to send it back, seller could say its used and damaged stuff like that
just keep it

neg feedback is all you can do, make sure to say bait and switch
and also make sure to really read the sale listing very closely sometimes they show images and sell something else
although your not supposed to do that on ebay they do it anyways using stock images
your supposed to have the image of whats exactly for sale

pt Offline VAXCO

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 09:17:45 AM
Well, just reminded myself to come here and bring this thread back. Those were my thoughts after one week with the skeletool, now, 3 months later, let´s see what´s my opinion....

pt Offline VAXCO

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 09:26:40 AM
 :oops

pt Offline VAXCO

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 09:34:45 AM
I posted this pic on FB yesterday and asked the same thing:
- Can anyone believe I was scraping glue when this happened?  :rant:

I really love the skeletool and fits my needs in 95% but..........
Can you see that rust? Can you see the dents in the edge?

Guess I´ll be trying the 154cm blade, and hope this doesn´t happen again

Next question:
- Is there a different blade I could fit here, a little bigger perhaps. A Charge S30V would be nice, but would it fit? Is there another different blade anyone would recommend, even if it needs some "fine tuning" to fit?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:35:48 AM by VAXCO »

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 04:49:29 PM
Since the seller sent you the wrong item, regular model instead of the CX. You had a good case that I'm sure ebay would have backed you regardless of the sellers return policy.
The "buyer pays return shipping" mostly protects the seller from people buying something, then deciding they don't like it and wanting to return the item.
In this case the seller sent the wrong item.
Now that it is used and broke. I think you are out of luck.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 05:01:16 PM
How did you manage to break the tip like that?
SAW

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 05:02:29 PM
How did you manage to break the tip like that?

"- Can anyone believe I was scraping glue when this happened?  :rant: "

:pok:  :D

us Offline sawman

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 05:08:12 PM
This entire story has turned out so tragic. What a horrible skeletool experience you've had on several levels...  ::)
SAW

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:25:41 PM
I think you should post the "User ID name" in order to avoid this seller.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 09:18:26 PM
This entire story has turned out so tragic. What a horrible skeletool experience you've had on several levels...  ::)
I am sad. Interestingly none of these happened during our 31 days challenge.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 06:11:57 PM
I posted this pic on FB yesterday and asked the same thing:
- Can anyone believe I was scraping glue when this happened?  :rant:

I really love the skeletool and fits my needs in 95% but..........
Can you see that rust? Can you see the dents in the edge?

Guess I´ll be trying the 154cm blade, and hope this doesn´t happen again

Next question:
- Is there a different blade I could fit here, a little bigger perhaps. A Charge S30V would be nice, but would it fit? Is there another different blade anyone would recommend, even if it needs some "fine tuning" to fit?

I feel sorry for you: not only it is not the tool you ordered but on top of that it seems that you got a lemon.

Since the Skeletool blade is so different from other Leatherman MT, I am pretty sure that trying to fit anything else would be very complicated. Since apparently you do use your MT, I wouldn't recommend it. You can buy a replacement Skeletool CX blade. This is what I did for my regular Skeletool. The CX blade is plain edge and the steel is 154CM, which is a vast improvement over 420. Look for "154cm Replacement Blade for Leatherman Skeletool and Skeletool CX" from texastoolcrafters on eBay. Not a cheap mod ($24) though.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:15:47 PM by Omar Rapace »

us Offline sawman

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 06:21:07 PM
+1 that is very good advice and a definite fix to your problem. With the 154cm blade, it will be every bit as good as a CX, only problem is the eBay seller should pay for it!
SAW

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 01:20:48 PM
A cheaper option: someone around here might have a spare combo blade... http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60524.msg1119118.html#msg1119118

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 12:33:04 AM
Texas Tool Crafters sells replacement blades for Skeletools in premium (well, more premium than 420HC) metals. Good luck.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:31 AM
A cheaper option: someone around here might have a spare combo blade... http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60524.msg1119118.html#msg1119118

Alright, you have a point... I do have a replacement blade for Skeletool (420 half serrated). I would gladly give it to VAXCO if it is not going to cost me an arm and a leg to ship it to Portugal. VAXCO, send me a private PM if interested.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 12:19:52 PM

Alright, you have a point... I do have a replacement blade for Skeletool (420 half serrated). I would gladly give it to VAXCO if it is not going to cost me an arm and a leg to ship it to Portugal. VAXCO, send me a private PM if interested.

Maybe you could put it inside some cardboard inside a small envelope and it would be cheap to post?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:39:04 PM by Syncop8r »

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 05:00:06 AM

Maybe you could put it inside some cardboard inside a small envelope and it would be cheap to post?

Will do so if VAXCO provides me with mailing address.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%